Podcast and App Reviews

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have the c25k free from zen labs iphone ap. it's not perfect...won't run in the background so need to open your gps and pandora first, voice is pretty quiet and i've missed 1 or 2 chimes, screen lock wasn't intutitive to me but it does the job. I'm in week 7 so probably won't bother looking for a different app now but there are some downsides to this one.

I've got the Zen Labs app too - best thing about it was the price - FREE! :bigsmile: But it also did the job for me, clear voice prompt & a chime tone or when to run or walk, she tells you when you're half way. They seem to be really good at listening to the user feedback and have made several improvements since I started - you can lock the screen while it's running, and you're supposed to be able to run your own music, which mutes to allow the voice prompts to come through. I haven't actually used the music feature yet - I run outside & haven't used headphones because I like to hear what's going on around me. Plus I don't think they'd stay in my ears, but that's another topic.

A couple of things I didn't like about it - it doesn't track your speed or distance, just time. I started using Runkeeper at the same time, running both programs in order to get the info I was missing. Now that I've graduated, I guess I just need Runkeeper.

Happy running!
  • akrivers
    akrivers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the Running into Shape by Carli. She has two different play lists you can listen to which makes it nice to switch it up. I incorporate that with the cardio trainer(free) app which tracks your route, time, and speed. I also got the extended race yourself for it (this does cost 2.99) that when you run it will tell you how far behind or ahead you are of your previous run. It makes running more interesting!
  • akrivers
    akrivers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm a bit of a technophobe, and have tried a couple of the free apps for android phones but didn't get on with them for various reasons. would it be possible to put a podcast onto an ipod shuffle? i ask as not everything is geared for shuffles. and if so how would i do it?

The running into shape podcast allows you to download them to your computer and it says that they go right into itunes with the rest of the music.
    Hope this helps :)
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    on Android, I use the rundouble app and I'm quite satisfied with it. The first two weeks are free, then to get the rest it's only like two bucks... quite worth it IMHO. It's very actively developed so there are constant improvements also.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use "C25K Free" on my iphone and it's great!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and C25K, and I know this thread is a little dated, but I wanted to throw in a recommendation for RunKeeper. It doesn't have c25k built in, but it has a very flexible interval coaching feature, and i t took my about 15 minutes to put in the intervals for the entire program ahead of time. The app is free and really is an adjunct to runkeeper.com, which is a nice site with many social features similar to MFP. It does have paid features (advanced reports and stuff I think) but I've never look at them.

The app has great voice coaching that prompts you when to run and when to walk, provides great data including a map of the route you ran, and is overall very useful and user-friendly. Since the app is free it's definitely worth a look.

(And incidentally I have no affiliation with the app or site other than being a happy user of their software!)
    I ended up doing the same thing and love it! Thanks for this tip!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I recently graduated from c25k and was looking for something to take my running to the next level when I found www.micoach.com

It has pretty much everything you could need to either get started with c25k or any other distance. You use your own music for the playlist and you can set your own timetable and define the number of runs you want to do each week. It will set your program based on a start date you supply or it will allow you to specify a race date you want to be ready by.

You can have minimal coaching (walk now / run now) or you can have full coaching where it will keep you in the right pace zones to maximise your training. It uses your smartphone GPS or you can do treadmill workouts with GPS off.

I really rate it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm another person using the Couch-to-5K app from Active.com. It was less than $2. I use it on an Android device (HTC Incredible 2)

Pros:
    -Works great with bluetooth headphones
    -I can use my own playlists
    -Voice interrupts the music to tell me when to switch between walking/jogging
    -Uses GPS to create a map, show total distance, average speed,
    -Ability to add notes to a training session

Cons:
    -I really wish it showed more specific stats such as max speed, etc. BUT, I get around this by using My Tracks (from Google) at the same time

I like the simplicity of the application itself - You start it, go to workout, and then get moving. There is no adjustment necessary, the guidance is perfect. I think I'm going to stick with this one.

I also tried endomondo but it seems to be more of a social application which I don't really care about.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Checking this out, thank you! Free is always awesome:wink:
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use rundouble.
  • JasAbyG
    JasAbyG Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey thank you so much!

love this one
    http://www.c25kplaylists.com/4801.html
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Run5k App by FeltTip (on my iphone 3gs, which is running an old OS). I'm very happy with it. The cues are good, it integrates with my own playlist and so far the progression has been manageable.

It's $3.99 and well worth it. I also like that it provides cues for halfway and one minute left.
  • owneverychoice
    owneverychoice Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like one or two others have mentioned, the Chubby Jones Podcast is absolutely awesome. It's free, the music is great, and Mia (Chubby Jones) is the best friend you've always wanted. Sarcastic and motivational and funny and kind. I think of her podcast as the podcast Emma Stone and Daria would make if they could team up.
  • bradybugsmom
    Options
    I'm just getting started (I did four days of W1 and am starting W2 tomorrow) but I've been using the Chubby Jones podcasts as well and am enjoying them. Free on itunes, can't go wrong! Plus, I posted that I was using them on twitter and she actually tweeted me about it, so it was nice to get some personal encouragement!
  • pagingdoctork
    pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised that no one else uses Runkeeper! The app is free for iPhone (don't know about any other ios, sorry!), and the website is really nice. Since they don't have a c25k plan, I input all the weeks' workouts separately in the "coaching" section. It works perfectly!

Features: It has other activity types besides running, has an option for a countdown before it starts, automatically maps your location, you can take photos in-app, everything automatically sync to Runkeeper, tracks calories/pace/distance/whatever you want, tons of privacy settings, integration with facebook and twitter, after an activity you're prompted to write "how it went," audio cues for when to walk/run, auto pause possible.
  • pagingdoctork
    pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I've also used Zombies, Run! I've heard they're working on HIIT and c25k expansion packs, but for now I just run it over Runkeeper or input my own workout. I don't like ZR as much for c25k, probably partly because the zombie chases are too fast for me... but also, the timing just doesn't seem to work with the interval training right now. Then again, I'm only on Week 3 right now, so if you're later in the program and running for long stretches of time, getting chased by zombies could be the perfect motivation to not stop :)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I dowloaded the Couch-to- 5k app from Active.com for iPhone - it's brilliant. It was on sale for only $1.29NZ - which is $1US.

It's great, you can choose 3 different trainers - you listen to your own music - the trainers voice will tell you what to do and when you're half way there. You can lock your phone - it doesn't interfere with the app. It has GPS so it tracks your route on a map that you can see and let's you know distance run and average speed. It logs all your different runs so you can compare as well. Just a very nicely set out app.

THIS^
    I'm on week 3 and its working out very well
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised that no one else uses Runkeeper! The app is free for iPhone (don't know about any other ios, sorry!), and the website is really nice. Since they don't have a c25k plan, I input all the weeks' workouts separately in the "coaching" section. It works perfectly!

Features: It has other activity types besides running, has an option for a countdown before it starts, automatically maps your location, you can take photos in-app, everything automatically sync to Runkeeper, tracks calories/pace/distance/whatever you want, tons of privacy settings, integration with facebook and twitter, after an activity you're prompted to write "how it went," audio cues for when to walk/run, auto pause possible.

I just started using Runkeeper for my last two runs. I really like it. I put on my music with the regular music app, then turn on Runkeeper and it talks over my music. Plus, I can customize the intervals and then check to see how my speed was throughout the run.

Very nice!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm using jog log. It does the voice promts, runs itunes or pandora in the background, maps the run - comes with the C25K training program and then has expansions for a 5-10K and a 10K - marathon & allows you to set up your own interval workouts. It does also track walking & biking. There was an error in the program for week 5, day 1 - it only had 2 intervals instead of 3 - but I caught it ahead of time and just made my own for that day. I don't like that it ignores the 5 min warmup when giving you distance - but that is probably a setting, I haven't bothered to look. If you set up the intervals yourself, you can also assign specific songs to the different intervas.

I do run Nike+ in the background - to track the total distance including warmup - in part because it will also track my workout on a treadmill. No conflict running both apps at the same time.

Overall, very happy so far.
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just started today with the 5k Runner app by Heavy Duty Apps! It was $4.99 in the iPhone app store and in my opinion it was totally worth it. I can set up my own playlist on my iPod and play that in the background while I run with the app. It automatically turns down my music and lets me know when I need to run/walk/cool down and then bumps my music back up to the volume I had it at.

I think it's the bee's knees and I can't wait to run again with it!