Don't make this blunder....

Options
124»

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options

upping cals to TDEE -15% is like repairing the engine - it will get the car running again, but it may or may not ever run the same

doing a full metabolism reset is like purchasing a brand new car. It may take us some sacrificing to save up for it, or be approved for financing, etc, but when it's all said and done, we have the car, and can go where we need to go.

staying at or dropping cals back down to low levels, is like accepting life without a car and saying "oh well" I don't mind walking even though it's more of a hassle for the rest of my life. :ohwell:

Kiki, you rock! My husband's a mechanic, so this really resonated with me. You've done so much research, and I've read a lot of it through the stickies and your blogs. I'm a nurse by trade, with a science background, and this makes so much sense. Thanks for the support. New car . . . here I come. (despite the mechanic husband, all I've had are used and repaired vehicles - I'm ready for new)

Terri
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am down to 168 from 171, in four weeks, the last pound just this week.. I started eating, what I thought was my TDEE, it wasn't it was too low. So I upped it this past week. I know you all must think I am crazy, but I want to do it right. I am also breastfeeding, so I want to make sure he gets enough!

Since upping, my milk supply is phenomenal, I lost another pound, and I am no longer starving at night.

I do NROLFW, walk once a week, and chase six kiddos. My TDEE is 2300, but I eat 2600 for breastfeeding. I am having no problem eating and enjoying, I think it's because I finally made the decision that this is for life.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm only about a week into EM2WL--I don't know how I missed the metabolism reset but I did! Not sure how to proceed but I have a LOT to think about.
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    BUMP ( READ LATER ).....
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Something to remember....

The reason why we see both methods (some just jump straight to TDEE -15%, others reset) is because either method could work. Lucia and myself are examples of that. She went to cut #, I chose to reset. There are many factors that come into play, & how much damage has been done to the metabolism is one of them.

That's why I gave the Dr example. If you decide to try OTC solution first, & it works, then no need to panic. But if you try that and see that your body is non responsive, know your options.

Or... Recongnize your symptoms up front.

I was a long term dieter, VLC and KNEW that I'd screwed up my metabolism. I dove into research, let it sink in, & decided enough was enough, & I wanted a fresh start. And I wanted to get it right the first time. Lucia had hit a plateau, & was able to catch it in time, and get on a healthier path immediately. Although she'd started down a horrible path, she locked in on what she'd discovered, & forged ahead believing the research and trusting the process.

Two different people, discovered the research and applied it as was best for them. And.it.worked.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you kiki, I really appreciate the encouragement and knowledge.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! i just started the EM 5 or so days...so i'm not far into it. Dang, i really have a hard time eating this much, now i need to eat the extra 15%...wow!!!! at -15% i'm at 2247 cals... maintanance i'm at over 2600 calories. Lawdy! that's a LOT of food! i'm just not use to...but, I Want to be! hahahahaha!
    i can't express how much better i feel! i've got more energy and never feel deprived! it's so amazing! GO FOOD!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for this post, I totally missed that too.. I've been eating at cut for about 4 weeks, not losing or gaining, up and down the same few lbs, trying to 'trust the process'. It is scary to think I have to eat 300 more calories! Yikes! I'm going to give it a try. How many others missed that part?

I second this one as well!! I knew my metabolism was shot but I am so glad that you posted this while I am only 2 weeks into eating 1800 cals/day....Now somehow I am going to TRY to eat 2000 cals/day...UGH!!! My TDEE is 2029...

I also posted on the thread for Metabolism Reset :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612353-metabolism-reset-eating-at-tdee-support-thread?page=1#posts-8810194
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    <3<3<3 I'm ok with this 15% cut, but I know I'll do reset once a while. I will never GO BACK TO 1,200 as long as I live. THANK TO TYOU GIRL!! <3
  • catti41
    catti41 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    a lot to think about.. bump
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I do remember 8 years ago (before I became pregnant with my 3rd...darn her...lol) I was "happy" with my body for the first time. I was 125 (more than I am now...oddly and I'm not happy now...:( ) and I was secure in how I looked. My hubbie could even tell. Anyway what I didnt do was stress about it day in and day out. I ate when I was hungry but when I did I never ate to the point of being stuffed like I do now. I saw a Winsor Pilates infomercial and decided to get it as I just felt like I did want to get toned. So I did that 20 minutes a day maybe 3 days a week...nothing else. And I have no clue how long it took BECAUSE I wasnt trying to lose anything but it could have been 3-6 months I lost 15 lbs!!! So I do honestly beleive in this system. I ate alot. My ob-gyn even asked if I was trying to lose because he obviously noticed. My hubbie thought I might be "sick" because he saw how much I ate...lol. Not kidding.

Anyway for you and for me again this is noted as an encouragement that eating more to lose WILL happen. It takes time and patience and I especially need to remind myself of this everyday. I mean for goodness sakes it happened for me 8 years ago why cant it happen again, right?
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last few months unintentionally eating under my BMR (based on the MFP numbers). I then used a tool on a different page, and found out my BMR, and actually TDEE. It's been hard enough getting my calories above 1600 so my BMR is satisfied, but resetting at 2380-2649 for 8wks does not seem possible to me. I don't think I can eat that much, and I'm scared I'm not going to continue to lose if I don't reset.

I use to enjoy exercising and eating clean, but after this thread I'm feeling really depressed. I don't think I'm going to be able to continue this journey.
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well, today is day one of EMTWL for me. I hadn't considered eating this much to begin with and now I should be eating more? Blergh! I want to be successful though. It's just a whole new way of doing things and thinking about food.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last few months unintentionally eating under my BMR (based on the MFP numbers). I then used a tool on a different page, and found out my BMR, and actually TDEE. It's been hard enough getting my calories above 1600 so my BMR is satisfied, but resetting at 2380-2649 for 8wks does not seem possible to me. I don't think I can eat that much, and I'm scared I'm not going to continue to lose if I don't reset.

I use to enjoy exercising and eating clean, but after this thread I'm feeling really depressed. I don't think I'm going to be able to continue this journey.

Many people have to take their time getting their metabolism back up. You don't have to do it all in one day! :smile: And really, whether you decide to go this route or not is up to you. Most of us have chosen to increase our calories (either to reset or do the Tdee - 15%: remember, both methods CAN work, depending on your history) because we want normal lives. We don't want to avoid potluck dinners, invitations to dinner, a meal out, birthday cake or anything else for that matter. We want to have full, healthy, FIT lives. Sure, you can stay at the level you are, but I've been down that road before...it rarely stays at that level...it usually starts to spiral. And that is because you plateau, so you lower calories further and/or exercise even more and repeat, repeat, repeat until eventually you hit a brick wall and just can't do it anymore. So you start to gain weight everytime you put something a little extra in your mouth and it never comes off again. You end up exercising for hours every day because you know if you stop, you'll start to put on the pounds. You wind up on medications for depression, sleeping problems, or whatever your body is unable to supply calories for to keep you functioning properly anymore. You get cranky, irritable, weepy, OCD, etc...

Trust me, I know this all from personal testimony...it is not second hand info. Everyone is individual in their experiences, but the basic commonalities are usually there. There are people who can make VLCD work, but not too many (which is why so many regain the weight) and personally, I don't think I'd deliberately chose to live that way when I know there's another option out there.

If you decide to stick with us, we are here for you. To support, guide, motivate and assist. It's a difficult road and not one to travel alone! Just let us know what help you need and we'll walk through this with you! :flowerforyou:
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Many people have to take their time getting their metabolism back up. You don't have to do it all in one day! :smile: And really, whether you decide to go this route or not is up to you. Most of us have chosen to increase our calories (either to reset or do the Tdee - 15%: remember, both methods CAN work, depending on your history) because we want normal lives. We don't want to avoid potluck dinners, invitations to dinner, a meal out, birthday cake or anything else for that matter. We want to have full, healthy, FIT lives. Sure, you can stay at the level you are, but I've been down that road before...it rarely stays at that level...it usually starts to spiral. And that is because you plateau, so you lower calories further and/or exercise even more and repeat, repeat, repeat until eventually you hit a brick wall and just can't do it anymore. So you start to gain weight everytime you put something a little extra in your mouth and it never comes off again. You end up exercising for hours every day because you know if you stop, you'll start to put on the pounds. You wind up on medications for depression, sleeping problems, or whatever your body is unable to supply calories for to keep you functioning properly anymore. You get cranky, irritable, weepy, OCD, etc...

Trust me, I know this all from personal testimony...it is not second hand info. Everyone is individual in their experiences, but the basic commonalities are usually there. There are people who can make VLCD work, but not too many (which is why so many regain the weight) and personally, I don't think I'd deliberately chose to live that way when I know there's another option out there.

If you decide to stick with us, we are here for you. To support, guide, motivate and assist. It's a difficult road and not one to travel alone! Just let us know what help you need and we'll walk through this with you! :flowerforyou:

I went back through my food diary and realized somewhat resetting might not actually be so hard. I didn't actually start eating under my BMR until the last couple of weeks in April, so the length of time isn't that long. Hopefully repairing 1 month of a messed up metabolism won't be so bad. I'm going to continue to try to up my calories to around 1900 to start with, then after a couple of weeks try for 2000.

Thank you for the support, and I'm gonna push through this!
  • kay_bear52
    kay_bear52 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard enough time trying to get to my BMR let alone my TDEE!