Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys, I hope through this if you haven't started lifting that you consider doing so....the toning of the muscles will be a nice bonus when you start your cut. And please don't start cut at 20%....I would start with a 10% personally and then another 5% after plateauing. If you lose too fast you lose muscle too....that is a big no no. We want to lose fat....not muscle.:smile:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hello,
    This is my third day doing the Metabolism reset and the scale hasn't change, no gain-no lost. Its that Good? In another note... I'm loving it :).

Your body is using the fuel. Enjoy!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Am I the only one who feels like the finally had that "AHA" moment? I am super anxious and excited about this! I cannot wait for the reset to be over so I can get back on track!

I feel the same way! Terrified but hoping it will work...

Same.. still incredibly nervous, especially since Im eating 2800 cals a day, so Im freaking out that its a s#it load of food. Plus Ive struggled the last few days to get to that number because ive been so busy.. and I dont want just total crap just to get in the cals either..
    Im two days away from deciding whether to weigh myself or not.. and Im terrified if what it might show.

The scale might not say what you hope during the reset. I am actually trying to take this as PROOF that THIS IS why my body has not been shedding weight the past year with all the crazy exercise and diet stratedgies I have thrown at it. I am eating between 2500 and 2700... trying to edge up a little higher, but it's been hard. I have a bodybugg, so I am using that to figure my TDEE as it takes day by day daily burn info. I was still about 150-200 cals under TDEE this week...but I DID see a bit of a gain. I think it proves my body has been in conservation, flashing red warning mode....it makes more sense then anything else....so In feeding my poor body, I really think this is going to help it wake up... I already determined that as long as I get my planned workouts in this week, I need to go to at least 2800 to hit TDEE.... so I'm with ya girl! We can do this!!! Even a little gain, as long as we tell ourselves it has a purpose, is worth it if it gets our bodies working properly... but sheeshta... part of me is furious at all the medical professionals who pounded into me, to eat lower lower lower ....mostly around 1700-1800, which is LOWER them my BMR of 1847, without one stitch of exercise. :noway: ( and, alas...since that wasn't working... on top of that I actually was eating quite a bit LOWER then that quite often as I thought that must be why I wasn;t losing as I should have been..)

Nutritionist, weight loss clinic doctors, primary etc. etc. etc. I had even asked them about BMR from some reading a year or so ago, but they pretty much dismissed it. Every one of them was saying eat lower then that. No Thyroid issues, etc, etc...so all they could tell me was that *some people just don't lose as quickly* I was working out 2-3 hours a day some days, sometimes hitting over 4000 on my bodybugg...and just punishing my body. It really makes sense that this is likely why I've had all the trouble! :frown: Three years into this, and practically this whole past year of crazy hard work wasted! GRRRRR. :explode:

Amazing when you realize you really don't need so much cardio. I used to do 3 body pump classes, 3zumba classes, RIPPED once a week and hit the ellip or tread a couple times a week. Then eat 1500 or less. I looked so fatty and the weight wouldn't move. Well I bumped cals, dropped down to heavy lifting 3 times a week, Zumba once a week and I try to do 30 min HIIT once a week(that's rare I have become cardio lazy now but doing better...lol) and I have seen a huge difference. When you don't feed yourself enough when doing long cardio bouts, you blow through glucose stores, glycogen, and will burn through muscle too. So catch 22. That's why we stress heavy lifting with eating more, you build lean body mass if you eat enough and that muscle though heavier will help burn off fat, so though weight may not change too much your measurements sure will.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Seems like many of you are weighing often. I thought we were supposed to stay away from the scale--or was I looking in a different thread? :smile:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Seems like many of you are weighing often. I thought we were supposed to stay away from the scale--or was I looking in a different thread? :smile:

Lol, nope whatever you want to do is up to you..some are not weighing in at all while others are still choosing to.

Lifting.. I have two more workouts left of Stage one of NROL and I am scared that there will be no inches lost after 6 weeks and all I have done. I have increased my weights by quite a bit over that time, so I am proud of how far I have come, but honestly,. I will be incredibly disappointed if nothing changed...
    Supposed to weigh in tomorrow, but I think I might wait another day since I lifted today and will have bloat tomorrow
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm on day 7 of my reset. Not too bad, I haven't suddenly jumped up in weight, but I realize that I really need to do a better job of planning my calorie-dense meals better, and earlier in the day. I don't like stuffing myself with trail mix at 9pm just because I've got 300 cals left to go. I could do a better job with breakfast! I'm supposed to shoot for a TDEE of 2400, but I've been hitting around 2200 instead, which makes me mad because I want to reset the right way, AT TDEE or over, as I recently read about from Lucia in this thread. So, better food planning is the goal for the next week.

I'm also excited because next week my kids start summer camps and their 2x/wk class is in the park district fitness center. I get to return to the gym to lift weights! I've missed the barbell because I only have dumbbells at home. Perhaps I won't have trouble reaching 2400 cals next week onward because I'll really be HUNGRY. :happy:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am on day 6 of my reset today and weight has gone up a little bit

I am ok with it though. I prepared myself mentally for what's to come so I am not surprised or worried.

But I am still struggling to hit my numbers.I wished I would feel hungry all the time as others said. I permanently feel full, not stuffed, but full. Just hanging in there and trusting the process. I know things will turn around eventually.

Hope you all are having an awesome day!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am super bummed out this week. Week 5 at eating to TDEE. I am just not getting there. I am always about 300 low. My clothes are all tight. I went to disneyland over the weekend and look horrible in the pictures.

Thank god there is this thread. I started to think I was crazy that I need to eat 2700 cal a day. My fit bit thing says I`m burning about 2900 every day. On the disneyland day my TdEE was 3400. All that walking around. I am trying to exercise less so I don`t have to eat as much. I sooo want this to be over. I am really hating it. I think my cut will be so easy.

I am wondering how I ever became fat? And I am so active, how did I stay there?

Nothing makes sense today. do I quit? No way! I`ve come this far. This has to work. I do hope all of you stick it out too.

I`m just tired of being fat!!
  • Noor13
    Options
    I am super bummed out this week. Week 5 at eating to TDEE. I am just not getting there. I am always about 300 low. My clothes are all tight. I went to disneyland over the weekend and look horrible in the pictures.

Thank god there is this thread. I started to think I was crazy that I need to eat 2700 cal a day. My fit bit thing says I`m burning about 2900 every day. On the disneyland day my TdEE was 3400. All that walking around. I am trying to exercise less so I don`t have to eat as much. I sooo want this to be over. I am really hating it. I think my cut will be so easy.

I am wondering how I ever became fat? And I am so active, how did I stay there?

Nothing makes sense today. do I quit? No way! I`ve come this far. This has to work. I do hope all of you stick it out too.

I`m just tired of being fat!!
    I don't have a media device, so I don't even know how much I really burn but probably more than the 2400 I calculated for my TDEE and that's already with a high activity level. You are already 5 weeks in, which is great, I have not even finished the first week.

But we can do it. Stay strong!
  • candacepatra
    candacepatra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So I have spent the last almost 3 hours reading through all the EMTWL information, I've watched the videos, and finally calculated my BMR and TDEE.

Here's my info:
    5'7"
    probably 165-ish lbs (don't have a scale!)
    BMR: 1559
    TDEE: 2143
    Cut 15%: 1822.

I selected "light" activity because at the moment all I'm doing is Jillian Michael's 30DS, and I'm only in level 1 day 3. I've been doing it daily, so that's only about 25mins per day of working out, so I estimate it wont be more than 3 hours per week. I'd love to eventually increase my workouts as well as learn more about strength training and weight lifting, but at the moment I'm just going to be gradual about it.

I have never been the kind of person to starve myself or withhold food or pleasures, and in general I tend to eat clean (on occasion I eat out maybe 3x/month or order delivery). I cook daily, always use whole fats and cream, and eat tons of veggies. When I joined MFP earlier this year I was given a suggested calorie intake of 1360, and I just started tracking my normal daily intake. I found that I was almost always within that window, and I didn't really workout much. That was just my normal eating pattern!

While I haven't really been gaining weight since last year, I have definitely stayed flabby and haven't lost anything... so I must truly be well under my BMR, and my body must be trying to store fats and nutrients every chance it gets.

Honestly I am pretty much terrified to up my intake to the TDEE, because that's HUGE... and I really would hate to gain weight, especially over the summer during beach season here. However, I am willing to give it a try, because I'd really like to think long-term about weight loss and toning my body.

Question: does anyone know how to reset the values for protein/carbs/fat and calories on the MFP diary?? I've seen a lot of people say just go in to settings and change it, but when I click on settings I don't see anything that I can change. Any help would be appreciated!!

Go to goals>setting>custom and you can input figures there.

This is a life long journey and not a quick fix. Quick fixes lead to gaining in the long run. Try cut at 15% and if you hold steady or lose a little then plateau then bump another 100 cals upward. You can take leap and reset and allow body to stabilize or do it slow creeping up but you will go through stabilization at each level.

Lucia

Thank you Lucia (& also Kiki!) you both are wonderful, and it is very touching how you take so much time to respond to all the individual posts and comments. I will keep updating about my process. Sending you both my love.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys, I hope through this if you haven't started lifting that you consider doing so....the toning of the muscles will be a nice bonus when you start your cut. And please don't start cut at 20%....I would start with a 10% personally and then another 5% after plateauing. If you lose too fast you lose muscle too....that is a big no no. We want to lose fat....not muscle.:smile:

Lucia, you took the next question right out of my mouth! I am not ready to cut for another couple weeks, but I can tell my body is stabilizing at maintenance, so my thoughts are moving onto what I will do next :) I am really not eager to see the scale move, more to see some muscles emerge since I have been working so hard with the iron. I will take your advice and only do 10% at first for a couple weeks and see where that gets me. I never want to be in this situation again, so slow and easy will be the road for me from now on.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think I'm on day 10? I'll go look later. I realize I haven't checked in the last few days. My weight has been fluctuating. So far it has not dropped lower than my lowest drop prior to the reset. If it does I'll bump the calories up again. But I'm already sitting at 2500 a day. With my 300 breastfeeding calories added I'm at 2800 a day. I never would've thought I could eat this much and maintain my weight. It feels great to have so much fuel. I've even started doing morning runs before my workday. I've never had enough energy to do any kind of physical activity in the morning. I've switched from caffeinated coffee to 1/3rd caf (eventually decaf). I've NEVER been able to function in the morning without caffeine right away. I'm going on 3 weeks of 1/3rd caf and feel great.

I'm so glad that I was properly fueled for my 5k on Saturday. I hope that more and more runners discover EMTWL. I see so many training for half marathons, full marathons, etc... on 1200-1500 calories a day. I'm so thankful that I found this way of life. Training is hard enough anyways - being properly fueled makes a huge difference for me.

Anyways, I'll be back later to read and catch up!
  • macnurseapril
    macnurseapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Week one of going back to near TDEE is done!

And..... I'm down from 267 (where I went back to when I did a 15% cut) to 265! on a post lift day! I was hoping for a bit more, but if it's sustainable, I'm sticking with it.

I lost a total of about 3 inches from various parts.

So...another week at 2900-3000 cals for me. I only had one day where I was very short, and I just couldn't get there (missed too many meals and snacks at work).

So I'm going to weigh in tomorrow (to check the bloat from yesterday's post lift).

And then put the scale away for another week. It's hard, but I think it's better for my brain.

Hang in there people!
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    One week into reset. Just typical scale fluctuations. Past few days have been BUSY so by the end of the day I still have about 1/2 my calories left to eat...nom, nom, nom. I have several busy days yet this week so I am going to purpose to load up earlier in the day.

Ok techmom - I will make a deal with you - hold me to my 100 grams of protein a day goal and I will hold you to spreading the calories through the day? Need someone to hold me accountable :wink:

OK, You got it! How'd you do yesterday? :wink:
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Jess, I question this process mostly at TOM. I've been eating more for close to 3 months now (did TDEE-15% for 8 wks first) and can't wait to move on to the next phase. I know that this is what my body needs but the results right now are just depressing. Luckily for summer dresses, but hate the burn of rubbing thighs. Urg!
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One week into reset. Just typical scale fluctuations. Past few days have been BUSY so by the end of the day I still have about 1/2 my calories left to eat...nom, nom, nom. I have several busy days yet this week so I am going to purpose to load up earlier in the day.

Ok techmom - I will make a deal with you - hold me to my 100 grams of protein a day goal and I will hold you to spreading the calories through the day? Need someone to hold me accountable :wink:

OK, You got it! How'd you do yesterday? :wink:

I only hit 82 grams of protein - I knew I should have grabbed that protein bar at like 9 last night. Oh well today is another day and I am going to start to add chicken breast to my salad for lunch or dinner so I bump up the protein there. Dag - whoever thought it would be this challenging to eat more food.

How did you go with the hitting your calories?
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So I have been reading this post every day and seeing that many of you have experienced feeling stronger during your workouts - and I was thinking wow that must be great - wonder why I am not feeling the same boost....

Well today I did! I re-started the C25K program and during the running parts I was hitting 6.0 on the treadmill which is way fast for me - before I would slug along at around 5 - 5.5 and be wheezing at the end....but today I felt great!

And also included a lifting session for legs....

I haven't stepped on the scale since last Friday...and am doing okay with keeping off of it. Just going by how my clothes fit. I might have to buy a couple pairs of shorts/jeans to make it through this month but I am okay with that. I think I am just in-between sizes and hate squeezing myself into things.

But I missed hitting my TDEE by 200 calories yesterday....dangit! At least I hit my cut level....

I feel good but man I am hoping this works.....anyone else struggling a bit with anxiety?
  • Noor13
    Options

....anyone else struggling a bit with anxiety?
    yes....but trusting that it will work
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    For those of you with a Fitbit-are you eating what you burn according to that or going with another calculation? I did a week's average according to my Fitbit and that is how I set my daily goal. Hoping it is accurate!!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    After reading more on this post I decided to keep my higher calories and even increase them slightly.....see how that goes!