Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Day 5 of my TDEE metabolism reset. Weight seems fairly stable at 157, despite going over in sodium (again!) yesterday. I definitely love feeling full and energetic after breakfast.

Does anyone out there know how consistent is consistent when doing a reset? I know consistency is key - no doubt about that. But if I'm within 100 calories of my TDEE up or down each day, is that okay? And every now and again (yesterday for example) I'm 300 over. Am I killing my reset if I fluctuate that much?

Hope you guys are doing great! I can't believe how big this thread and the EM2LW group has grown. Way to go, eating more to loose weight!

Waiting to here the answer on that. When I'm eating my Cut I don't worry as much about fluctuating, but since I'm doing this reset thing I'm also curious. I don't want to screw up the reset and have to do it again. :grumble: Anyone have the answer?

Consistency is key. However, from what I've been able to ascertain from things Kiki has said, she would eat at OR above her TDEE amount while resetting. Eating 100 cals too low once in a while is not going to destroy all your hard work, but if you do it too often or too low regularly, it may take your body a little longer to fully reset at the right number. The biggest thing with a reset is getting your metabolism line RAISED...that's why going over (although you may gain a few more pounds that way) isn't as bad as being under.

That make so much sense! Thank you. Common sense is key too. LOL
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Good, now I won't feel so bad when I go over. 50 cals or so doesn't make me flinch but 100 or so does:ohwell:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ok wait....so on days I do NOT workout, do I still eat TDEE?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

yup. :happy:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! Just making sure I didn't miss that and ate all that for nothing! LOL
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! Just making sure I didn't miss that and ate all that for nothing! LOL

Haha, I had the same question a couple of days ago but yes, you eat TDEE everyday during reset. The only difference will be your net numbers will be lower when you workout if you log your workout burned calories. But as long as your total food intake is your tdee, you are golden. :D
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was talking with my husband about this last night. He was saying how we have both gained weight since we've been together. I've been struggling to lose weigh for at least 6 years. I had lost 80 pounds doing crazy amounts of cardio and weights but I don't remember restricting my calories all that much. I didn't journal or track or anything - just ate healthier foods. My husband does not believe I need to eat more to reset my metabolism. He doesn't believe that I could easily burn 2500 calories on a day I work out. I used to wear a bodybugg and it would say 2500 to 3000 burned on days I did work out and he said he didn't feel it was accurate. He doesn't believe I need 2000 calories a day. The calculators online are wrong when determining my calories needs. I can eat more calories during the day when I'm at work and eat a normal dinner so he doesn't realize I'm actually resetting my metabolism. But I'm frustrated that my significant other can't be on board with me on this. I also have New Rules and he says all of that pertains to people who only have a few pounds to lose - not someone like me who has gained back 50 pounds of the 80 I lost.
    I had all the same symptoms - once I stopped doing as much cardio - still a 5-6 days a week but less time - the weight just crept up and up and no matter what I did I couldn't stop it. I would eat a cupcake and be up 2 pounds the next day. Or go out for pizza and again the scale jumps up. I've been working on this for 6 years. I'm glad to have found this group and I hope resetting my metabolism is what I need.
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Quick clarificaton question (hope it hasn't been answered, although I'm sure it has....somewhere:ohwell: ). Do you know you've hit your magic maintance # WHEN you start seeing a real gain?? I've been a159-162 for 7 months....whether I ate at 1200, tried 1800 and now day 4 of 2288 (my Tdee # from scooby--I don't have fitbit). Do I wait and see for at least a week and then maybe up by 100 a week until I start gaining??? I assume this means I've probably underestimated my activity level. I thinking a fit bit with an instant # is looking better and better... Any ideas my favorite lady friends? Thanks!
    Jamie
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Need to read more about this.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was talking with my husband about this last night. He was saying how we have both gained weight since we've been together. I've been struggling to lose weigh for at least 6 years. I had lost 80 pounds doing crazy amounts of cardio and weights but I don't remember restricting my calories all that much. I didn't journal or track or anything - just ate healthier foods. My husband does not believe I need to eat more to reset my metabolism. He doesn't believe that I could easily burn 2500 calories on a day I work out. I used to wear a bodybugg and it would say 2500 to 3000 burned on days I did work out and he said he didn't feel it was accurate. He doesn't believe I need 2000 calories a day. The calculators online are wrong when determining my calories needs. I can eat more calories during the day when I'm at work and eat a normal dinner so he doesn't realize I'm actually resetting my metabolism. But I'm frustrated that my significant other can't be on board with me on this. I also have New Rules and he says all of that pertains to people who only have a few pounds to lose - not someone like me who has gained back 50 pounds of the 80 I lost.
    I had all the same symptoms - once I stopped doing as much cardio - still a 5-6 days a week but less time - the weight just crept up and up and no matter what I did I couldn't stop it. I would eat a cupcake and be up 2 pounds the next day. Or go out for pizza and again the scale jumps up. I've been working on this for 6 years. I'm glad to have found this group and I hope resetting my metabolism is what I need.

((HUGS)) It must be hard to not have his support in this. But we'll support you. And you know what will be awesome - the look on his face when you personally prove to him that this works. I think you could easily get your calories in during the day (calorie dense foods like nuts and avocados, etc...) and then get up to your TDEE by finishing the day out with your light dinner with hubby. Probably the hardest part will be the beginning because many do gain while resetting metabolism. It will be hard in your position to tune out any comments if he happens to notice a few extra pounds, but stick with it. I'm glad you're here! :flowerforyou:
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options

I'm so so sorry he is not being supportive :( ...do what you need to do for YOU...and he will be in awe when you reveal what you've been up to later! ;) also, as to your bodybugg... i have one too, and would say that is a very possible burn. I am around 240, and if no work out at all...... and home sick etc... my burn is around 2350. With a good zumba class, and a few other things, and full work day ( even at a desk job) i can burn 3750-4000. LOVE the bodybugg.... it has motivated me to push myself harder etc. :)

Best of luck to you, and hope he comes around soon!!!!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm having second thought about eating at TDEE. I'm going back and forth between doing it for just a week, going back to TDEE -15%, or just eating a flat 1750 cals daily. My weight started creeping up at least a week before I started a heavy lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5), and I weighed myself on Tuesday morning because a lot of my small clothes are getting tight (and these were clothes I bought fairly recently). I measure myself once a month, and from April 28th - May 29th I went up 1" in my belly, 2" in my hips, and almost 2" in my breasts.

I weighed again this morning, because I decided to weigh in daily so that I could understand that daily weight fluctuations are normal.

I think I'm too worried that this won't work--which might be ok if I were to maintain--but I'm scared I'll gain a lot and that I won't be able to fit into ANY of my clothes, and of how long it will take me to get that weight back off. Plus I'm just feeling super bloated, stuffed, and uncomfortable. I pre-logged my after-dnner snack, but I don't want to eat it.

I might stick it out for the rest of this week, but right now I'm very nervous and scared. I've often been the odd one out in these situations--i.e., what seems to work for practically everyone else backfires on me.

I am sorry you are struggling, I know how hard it is to trust what you are doing is right. If it makes you feel any better, I am feeling puffy and bloated and my scale is up some too, but I know it is part of the process. I think resetting is right for you when you get sick of the other process. The trying so hard, exercising so much, eating so little and seeing small to no results. And you realize you don't want to live the rest of your life like that. I figure small sacrifices right now will help me in the long run to be able to eat more normally (not like a bird) and still lose inches/weight.
    Also, I know how much it takes to gain a pound of weight. If I am gaining and gaining and gaining at what I think my TDEE is, then I know my metabolism is seriously screwed up and I NEED to do this anyways, just think about that. So the weight gain is telling us something. I also don't believe this is true weight gain. It is water and just my body repairing the damage I did by feeding it too little and working out too much. It will resolve itself. Once my weight seems to level off (aside from TOM and lifting), then I know I have hit a sweet spot, I will stay there to reinforce to my body it will be fed and then I will know it is time to cut back a little bit.
    I have been at this for so long, I am just sick of it all (starving/stressing/weighing,killing myself at the gym), so that is how I knew this was right for me. You have to find your own reasons and motivation and then it will make total sense.

Jomatho's advice really rings true for me, IMO. I'm doing the reset because I am sick of the other processes. I don't want to drive myself batty with all the number crunching/zigzagging/eat back cals thing for the rest of my life. And if I gain weight now in the process of losing, then it's hopefully going to be temporary. Totally a mental struggle, and I need to be strong and trust the process. All the stickies and videos in the EMTWL group make sense.

DAY FOUR: Not bad for me, here. However, after reading some of the posts in here today, I need to try harder to get my cal goal closer to my TDEE. I have it set for 2400, but for the past two days I've been 200-300 less, but only because I'm trying to eat back up--- not because I don't want to! I got used to getting at 1700 or below. Bummer! And I'm trying to mindfully get my cals up with healthy foods, not just white-chocolate chip-laden trail mix (although that's not too bad next to the cashews and almonds in it as well). I am a daily weigher, but I don't let the scale determine my mood for the day. I just like to keep track of the fluctuations so I can track patterns, despite what the numbers reveal. Yesterday it bummed me a little that my weight jumped up one pound during the reset, but I am prepared to gain some weight because I KNOW that's supposed to happen. And then this morning the scale gave me that pound right back. I'll take that for now.

Good luck ladies! Stay strong!
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in to do the reset and would really love some support as I am terrified! Lol. I have been on MFP since September and started out eating 1400 cals and initially lost 15 lbs quickly. I have been stalled losing and gaining the same 3-4 lbs since January. I've raised my calories to 1800-2000 over the last 4 weeks since joining EM2WL and have gained a couple pounds. But I am going to raise it to my TDEE for 4 weeks and see what happens.
    I am starting the reset today.
    Here are my stats:

Height: 5'5"
    SW: 180
    CW: 165
    GW: 135
    BMR: 1587 (According to fattofit site)
    BF%: 25
    TDEE: 2464 (According to Scooby site)
    15% Cut: 2094

I exercise 5 days a week doing either Zumba, 30 Day Shred, Walking 30-40 minutes with some running, or stationary bike. I have two full rest days every week.
    Feel free to add me, I could use all the support I can get! :smile:
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. So my question is how many pounds should I expect to gain? I'm barely under 200 and if I go over that again I might sit and cry for days...
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Day 5 of my TDEE metabolism reset. Weight seems fairly stable at 157, despite going over in sodium (again!) yesterday. I definitely love feeling full and energetic after breakfast.

Does anyone out there know how consistent is consistent when doing a reset? I know consistency is key - no doubt about that. But if I'm within 100 calories of my TDEE up or down each day, is that okay? And every now and again (yesterday for example) I'm 300 over. Am I killing my reset if I fluctuate that much?

Hope you guys are doing great! I can't believe how big this thread and the EM2LW group has grown. Way to go, eating more to loose weight!

Waiting to here the answer on that. When I'm eating my Cut I don't worry as much about fluctuating, but since I'm doing this reset thing I'm also curious. I don't want to screw up the reset and have to do it again. :grumble: Anyone have the answer?

Consistency is key. However, from what I've been able to ascertain from things Kiki has said, she would eat at OR above her TDEE amount while resetting. Eating 100 cals too low once in a while is not going to destroy all your hard work, but if you do it too often or too low regularly, it may take your body a little longer to fully reset at the right number. The biggest thing with a reset is getting your metabolism line RAISED...that's why going over (although you may gain a few more pounds that way) isn't as bad as being under.

That makes perfect sense to me. There's days where I've stopped short because I knew that if I ate anything else I'd be over and being in the mindset of weight loss I figured I'd rather be under, even if by 150 calories or so. But I realize I need to switch my mindset up and put it in metabolism reset mode. So I will now go over if I have to choose. Thanks!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Do this for yourself, hun! It's ok if he doesn't agree or understand, as long as it's something that makes YOU happy. Prove him wrong with results! You can get plnty of support here. Besides, lots of people will tell you that dinner being your lightest meal of the day is a good thing anyway.

Step off the scale for the duration of your reset. I am also just under 200. I've decided to focus on my foods and workouts, not on the scale for this process. I trust that it will come back down after this is all said and done. In terms of weight, ignorance is bliss.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am in my 2nd week of reset, but I will be doing it a little longer than 8 weeks to coincide with a vacation coming up.

I am SHOCKED how hard it can be to get to my TDEE. I never thought I would ever say that. I'm still experimenting ... and snacking a lot!
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Should we be concerned with macros during a reset? I am not having a tough time getting to TDEE, but I am having a tough time balancing. I am always WAY over on carbs and short on protein.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Should we be concerned with macros during a reset? I am not having a tough time getting to TDEE, but I am having a tough time balancing. I am always WAY over on carbs and short on protein.

Yes, as much as possible. Concentrating on macros helps you choose a more balanced plate and get proper nutrition instead of too much of something your body can't use any more of and too little of something it needs. It helps with cravings, energy and repair to any damage that was done on a low cal diet or even from the exercise you do now (for example the need of carbs for cardio energy and protein for lifting repair). Macros are important. But don't fret if you don't always meet them (especially at first!) It's hard changing habits, and life can get in the way of any well laid plans. :ohwell: But do work on getting better at meeting those macro levels.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    BUsy day for me today, I havent been around. Im knee deep in cake right now trying to get some cakes finished for clients this weekend so I havent had a chance to do much else.. and unfortunately that includes eating.. I have managed ok, but even after tracking my dinner, I still have about 600 cals left to get in. Hopefully I can do it without going crazy on carbs like I did yesterday..

Hope everyone is doing ok