Cycle 1 Details & Questions

Options
Cycle 1 is called accelerate as it jump starts weight loss. Here are the allowable foods for cycle 1. You can eat unlimited proteins and veggies, 2 fruits a day and 2 probiotics a day. Cycle 2 adds healthy carbs back in every other day and cycle 3 you are eating 2 starches a day daily, cycle 4 is maintenance:

Foods for Cycle 1 ..Accelerate.
PROTEINS
Fish
Canned Light Tuna (water packed)
Catfish
Flounder
Salmon
Sole
Tilapia

* Opt for wild-caught rather than farm-raised fish, which may have received doses of antibiotics. Avoid the bigger fish such as swordfish, shark, king mackerel, and albacore tuna. They are the most likely to carry metals like methyl-mercury, which is considered a toxin.

Poultry
Chicken Breast
Eggs (2 eggs = 1 serving)
Egg Whites (4 egg whites =1 serving)
Turkey Breast

CLEANSING VEGETABLES (Eat Liberally)
• Artichoke
• Artichoke hearts
• Asparagus
• Bell peppers, green, orange, red, yellow
• Broccoli
• Brussels sprouts
• Cabbage
• Carrots
• Cauliflower
• Celery
• Cucumbers
• Eggplant
• Garlic
• Green beans
• Green, leafy vegetables (including beet greens, turnip greens, collard greens)
• Kale
• Leeks
• Lettuce, all varieties
• Mushrooms
• Okra
• Onions
• Parsley
• Scallions
• Spinach
• Tomatoes
• Watercress

FIBROUS FRUIT- 2 SERVINGS DAILY
• Apples
• Berries, all types
• Grapefruit
• Oranges
• Peaches
• Pears
• Plums
• Prickly pear cactus
• Prunes
• Red grapes

PROBIOTIC FOODS- 2 SERVINGS DAILY
Acidophilus milk: (1 cup = 1 serving)
Kefir: similar to a drinking-style yogurt; great for making smoothies (1 cup = 1 serving)
Low-fat acidophilus milk (1 cup = 1 serving)
Reduced salt miso dissolved in low-fat, low-sodium broth (1 tablespoon – 1 serving)
Sauerkraut: (1/2 cup – 1 serving)
Yakult: (1 cup = 1 serving)
Yogurt, any type, including Greek-style, sugar-free (6 oz. container = 1 serving)

FRIENDLY FATS: 1 TO 2 TABLESPOONS DAILY
Flaxseed oil
Olive oil

CONDIMENTS
Condiments and seasonings are allowed in moderation:
• Salsa, low-carb marinara sauce, lite soy sauce, low-carb ketchup, fat-free sour cream, Truvia (a non-caloric sweetener made from natural ingredients), sugar-free jams and jellies, vegetable cooking spray, fat-free cheeses (i.e. Parmesan), fat-free salad dressing, salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, herbs, and spices.

Substitutions for vegetarians:
One-half cup of tofu (any type)
One-half cup of beans, lentils, or any legume
1-2 vegetarian or black bean burgers (made from textured vegetable protein)
2-4 ounces any vegetarian cheese, including soy cheese
2 vegetarian “sausage” links (great substitute for eggs!)
2 scoops vegan rice protein powder (great for smoothies, blend with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and a fruit) for a quick 17-Day Diet vegetarian breakfast
Any type of vegetarian meat substitute made from textured vegetable protein (see package for serving size)
For dairy substitutes: 1 serving is 1 cup unsweetened soy milk, almond milk, or rice milk
For yogurt substitutes, it is fine to use soy milk yogurtThese subs will work for all cycles as meat-protein substitutions.

Replies

• theresamcd2
    theresamcd2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your the best.. THis is a great start. ;)
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    this helps so much! thank you!!
  • trishDC
    trishDC Posts: 51
    Options
    Here are some tips I took from this FB post. The yogurt one was the most helpful with my shopping today :)

https://apps.facebook.com/forumforpages/154431391270315/d4ea5ef1-c93e-4a61-b2dd-d7cc411637a0/0

NEWBIE TIPS: First make sure the yogurt you use has 9 grams or less of sugar per serving. It may contain fruit (doesn't count for your fruit for the day) BUT if you get plain yogurt - to use in place of sour cream or to add your own fruit or sugar free jelly or jam, then get non fat Greek style. IF you add your own fruit then it DOES count for your fruit for the day.

Also, if you use the menus in the book they are too low in calories if used alone. You must supplement them with foods off the freebies list. You can have as much as you want, any time you want from the lists on your cycle. You should NEVER be hungry. If you are - EAT just make sure you're eating something that's allowed on your cycle. Remember the food on the protein and veggie lists can be eaten at any time, in any amounts!

Make sure to take a multivitamin as suggested in the book. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Green Tea can deplete you of iron. If you have any problems with iron you should not drink the tea....and you should not drink it during "that time" of the month, but if you do, be cautious. If you begin to feel lethargic then stop drinking it, wait a few days and see if you feel better. Often the Green Tea is depleting people of iron and causing them to have very low energy. But definitetly take the multivitamin.

Supplement the menus by at least 200-400 calories a day. As long as you are eating the foods allowed on your cycle you're okay. Remember you can eat the protein and veggies in your cycle any time in any amount! The menus can get very boring, very fast. In fact I don't recommend them. It's best to create your own menus using the food lists and the cookbooks. This way your meals are interesting and delicious. People who just follow the menus in the book don't seem to do as well on the diet because they get bored too fast.

Have something prepared you can eat anytime in any amounts. This is important. The soup recipe in the book is one idea or I keep ground turkey, cooked at all times in my fridge. I cook it in garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, pepper, red bell pepper and onion...and brown it very well. I keep this mixture and a head of cabbage and lettuce, cleaned and ready to go, in the fridge all the time!! This way if I'm hungry I get out the meat, cabbage, shredded nf cheese, salsa, nf plain Greek yogurt and onion and can make a wrap or turkey taco in a minute that you can eat 24/7. It's always the first thing I go for when I'm hungry or want a late night snack!

Eat fruit 8 hours before bed whenever that it. I don't go to bed until 2:00AM so I can eat fruit until about 6:00 PM. It does not have to do with 2:00 PM it has to do with not eating fruit 8 hours before bed. He only said 2:00 PM because he assumed people go to bed at 10:00 PM. Well, not at this house! LOL
  • bella121576
    Options
    I have been on a balance diet for 3 months I lost 55 lb , would this diet help loose more ? i dont want to gain any of the weight i lost
  • Lesvel
    Lesvel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been on a balance diet for 3 months I lost 55 lb , would this diet help loose more ? i dont want to gain any of the weight i lost

The 17 Day Diet is a series of 17 day cycles, the first the most restrictive (Iow carb with only friut) and builds back up to a fully balanced diet. It is a healthy diet, but if you are having success losing and eating a healthy, balanced diet already you may not need it. Of course, if you do decide to try it we are a support for those on it!

The diet is available in the book of the same name.
  • moniew24
    moniew24 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Any questions on probiotic foods because I dont eat yogurt or drink milk. I have tried regualar your and greek and can not eat it, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

The 17 Day Diet is a series of 17 day cycles, the first the most restrictive (Iow carb with only friut) and builds back up to a fully balanced diet. It is a healthy diet, but if you are having success losing and eating a healthy, balanced diet already you may not need it. Of course, if you do decide to try it we are a support for those on it!

The diet is available in the book of the same name.

It may kickstart any plateaus you may be having or changing up a diet can get weight moving more aggressively.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Any questions on probiotic foods because I dont eat yogurt or drink milk. I have tried regualar your and greek and can not eat it, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just take a probiotic capsule or powder.
  • mom24kids12
    Options
    I have a question about the green tea..well a few. Can you take a supplement or do you need to drink it? If so what kind and how do you fix it? The only tea I drink is sweet tea. I am starting Friday!!
  • suzziebee
    suzziebee Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you, this information is so helpful. I find the menus boring but I am so limited to what I can eat due to food allergies - so far so good though
  • trishDC
    Options
    suzziebee - I'm not following the suggested menus, but I am sticking to the allowed food list. Here are some links to some recipe ideas.

Cycle 1 Recipe Links
    http://bit.ly/fYSJFD

Recipes on Fit Pal
    http://bit.ly/Ll9xvg

Recipes on Pinterest
    http://pinterest.com/healthy_living/17-day-diet-recipes/
  • trishDC
    Options
    I have a question about the green tea..well a few. Can you take a supplement or do you need to drink it? If so what kind and how do you fix it? The only tea I drink is sweet tea. I am starting Friday!!

mom24kids12 - It's suggested to use the natural green tea leaves. I'm simply using a the pure green tea bags with hot water. I don't drink caffeine really, so I'm trying the caffeinated ones after breakfast and the caffeine free ones after the other meals. I sometimes add some lemon into the tea to change the flavor.

I understand you can take a pill instead but you lose the water intake. You can check out this video where Dr. Mike talks about some green tea alternatives:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I39thnye-Fk
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    re: the green tea question. I HATE hot tea......but LOVE it iced! I actually drink lots of green tea this way. Try it!:happy:
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

mom24kids12 - It's suggested to use the natural green tea leaves. I'm simply using a the pure green tea bags with hot water. I don't drink caffeine really, so I'm trying the caffeinated ones after breakfast and the caffeine free ones after the other meals. I sometimes add some lemon into the tea to change the flavor.

I understand you can take a pill instead but you lose the water intake. You can check out this video where Dr. Mike talks about some green tea alternatives:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I39thnye-Fk

Yes you can take green tea supplements. I've heard that lots of people stop with the green tea b/c it apparently boosts some people's blood pressure too much. I think the point of it is to increase your metabolism. So try and stick to it, but if you have adverse reactions like bp or constipation, decrease your intake or stop. I drink 1 large cup a day, sometimes 2. Yes Dyanna i enjoy it cold as well, especially the fruit flavoured ones, in the summer. I sweeten with Agave.
  • rayne78
    Options

Just take a probiotic capsule or powder.

Really try to like yogurt or kefir. You can make fruit smoothies with it, or mix sugar-free jam in it. Cottage cheese with probiotic is also an option. I think the probiotic is very important b/c it helps with elimination which is very important with losing weight. I have noticed a huge improvement in my regularity since being on this diet.

Edit to add: the supplement method is also acceptable, but I imagine it could get quite expensive. However, yogurt is probably one of my highest priced food items already.
  • moniew24
    moniew24 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Is sugar free yogurt from TCBY acceptable?
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    Well 9 days in to C1 and I finally got my book today!!! (I got it on Amazon for 1.49 and it is a hardcover and in perfect shape.. It will be interesting to see how incorrectly I am doing this program LOL! On the plus side 9 days of letting go of carbs is good no matter how you look at it right? I also had a day of falling, but decided rather than starting over again, I will just go forward. I am assuming I will be doing C1 a few times as I have about 40 lbs to lose. But so far, it is really great. I love being able to have yogurt and fruit. I hope everyone is having a good day!
    p.s. I was soooo hungry today, then finally had a salad with shrimp and I finally feel satisfied......not full......don't feel full on this plan......but satisfied is much better!:happy:
  • Lesvel
    Lesvel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is sugar free yogurt from TCBY acceptable?

Probably okay but I wouldn't make it a habit. The idea is to get away from junk food, fast food, refined sugar and carbohydrates. Try to eat 80-90% from the list...especially in C1 so you change the way you think about food and crush those pesky cravings in the process. C1 is supposed to be a detox so the more you stick to the plan the more success you'll have in the future.

Believe me, I'm not perfect. I have had the odd fat free frozen yogurt myself...just trying to be supportive :smile:
  • tammyc68
    tammyc68 Posts: 2
    Options
    i am new to this diet i am on day 8 and only lost 2 pounds and very constipated got ant tips
  • rayne78
    Options
    i am new to this diet i am on day 8 and only lost 2 pounds and very constipated got ant tips

drink lots and lots of water every day. If it's unbearable there are herbal laxative teas that work well. Or any of the other regular methods of relief. Are you drinking lots of green tea? If so, maybe cut back for a while as it tends to have constipative side effects