Friend Zone

Options

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's a yes if alcohol is involved. :P Jk.

I've dated some people who I considered to be friends first, but that was because of situational changes.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with flam, if you are in the friend zone it's for a reason. I know if I'm friends with a girl and we are both single, there should obviously be a good reason for us not to try dating. Usually it's because I'm not attracted to them, there's no chemistry, I think they're annoying, or I've just known them too long and they're more like a sister than a potential mate.

Attraction can definitely change though, not always because of weight, but sometimes people mature, gain confidence, start dressing better, etc. Sometimes just seeing them with someone else can suddenly make them more appealing. Usually if the attraction and the chemistry is there, then it's pretty easy to get out of the friend zone.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    So you're saying there's a chance?!?! Haha!! Eh in my case I think we're better off as friends and he'll just be the cute distraction in meetings...I've come a long way on my journey but have only known him for the last 20 lbs lost. Hardly enough to change his attention...I work for a home improvement company and am surrounded by men. Shouldn't be hard to find a new work crush!
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I had a guy friend for 2 years .. we mainly knew each other from work .. didn't really even think of him as a possibility .. then I hadn't talked to him for a month or so and gave him a shout out on Facebook told him I missed talking to him and he sent me a text the next day and asked me out. I was shocked. I didn't think he saw me in that way. He said he had for a long long time and I never noticed. lol. We dated for a while. Didn't end up working out, but it was fun. =)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    To all the guys... so we may be friend zoned, but (as stated in a thread last week), 95% of our straight male friends still want to sleep with us... Do I have this right?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Simple: you "friend zoned" someone for a reason (e.g. not attracted physically to them).

This girl was dating someone else when she joined our group. She is now single.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    To all the guys... so we may be friend zoned, but (as stated in a thread last week), 95% of our straight male friends still want to sleep with us... Do I have this right?

I don't think so. Maybe when they met you... but at least for me, once I'm in that friends mind frame I just stop thinking about them like that. Unless they are smoking hot or super flirty.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I don't think so. Maybe when they met you... but at least for me, once I'm in that friends mind frame I just stop thinking about them like that. Unless they are smoking hot or super flirty.

Just trying to get my facts straight here because this is not what Nat & Silver said last week:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/632186-do-you-need-a-gaggle?page=1#posts-9157864
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

"Want"...probably not that many.
    "would"...probably not that high but close.
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Simple: you "friend zoned" someone for a reason (e.g. not attracted physically to them).

This girl was dating someone else when she joined our group. She is now single.
    I'd say it's absolutely possible to get out of the friend zone in that circumstance.
  • poncho33
    Options

Just trying to get my facts straight here because this is not what Nat & Silver said last week:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/632186-do-you-need-a-gaggle?page=1#posts-9157864

I think it depends on the level of friendship you have... if you hangout in a group I do, yeah I'd probably think about it. If we are longtime best friends or extremly close, or have had a conversation about dating and decided on being friends then no.

That is me though. I think a lot of guys are friends with girls simply to get close to them. Most of the married friends I have were a lighter form of friends w/ their wives before they started seeing each other.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You can easily leave the friendzone by getting 100% hammered alone together and start talking about sex out of nowhere and adopt the mentality 'see what happens'.
  • poncho33
    Options
    You can easily leave the friendzone by getting 100% hammered alone together and start talking about sex out of nowhere and adopt the mentality 'see what happens'.

haha, this is probably the best way to break the friend barrier. The next morning could be a little odd though.
  • tom1834
    tom1834 Posts: 34
    Options
    Can a girl get out of the friend zone with me, yes. Can I get out of the friend zone w a gal, I hope so. As I've been losing weight I look at it like the more weight I lose the more I go from hearing "no chance in hell" to "what are you doing tonight." I guess it ultimately comes down to attaction and chemistry. While chemistry can be phenomenal there needs to be some attraction to go with it.. I think it really depends on the people, and everyone could think the 2 of you perfect for one another however, often only one of you realizes it.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic. Can someone then explain to me why nearly every online dating profile contains the words "let's be friends first and see where it goes"? I've always felt that this was a contradiction in terms.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

haha, this is probably the best way to break the friend barrier. The next morning could be a little odd though.

Nah
  • Roadie2000
    Options
    Very interesting topic. Can someone then explain to me why nearly every online dating profile contains the words "let's be friends first and see where it goes"? I've always felt that this was a contradiction in terms.
    Because they probably wouldn't get very many messages if they said, "Let's have sex and see where it goes"
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

YES! exactly!

Or why they say, "I'm not trying to rush into anything here... just looking for a companion right now." Which is all I'm really looking for (since I'm moving in a few months). But those guys always push for immediate physical intimacy.
  • poncho33
    Options

YES! exactly!

Or why they say, "I'm not trying to rush into anything here... just looking for a companion right now." Which is all I'm really looking for (since I'm moving in a few months). But those guys always push for immediate physical intimacy.

Easy answer: They are saying what they think you want them to.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

YES! exactly!

Easy answer: They are saying what they think you want them to.

Oh FFS. As human beings we are so darn good at getting in our own way.