Whats on your menu today?

Options

Replies

• susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm at goal weight- have been for about a year now. I've been on about 30g of carbs/day.
    I would like to add more vegies via juicing, but I was concerned about the extra carb count causing me to gain weight.
    I feel fine- have done for ages!
    Then I think I would just keep an eye out on the scale for a week or two - I don't think bumping up to 50-60 g of carbs will cause weight gain - especially if your calories are roughly the same. Looking at your diary it looks pretty good - you might consider looking at Atkins Phase 3 - it actually tells you how to step up your carbs and monitor your weight so you can find what your threshold is before gaining. You probably can go considerably higher than where you are now - the caveat is not letting your calorie counts creep up too high with it. (That may be an unpopular sentiment on a low carb board, but I think once your body chemistry is set, it is absolutely about calories in/out.)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Pre-breakfast (ie, while driving the nephews to school)--Atkins mocha latte shaked
    Breakfast- 4 oz Sausage and 2 Eggs
    Lunch--Broccoli cheese soup leftovers, veggies
    Dinner--Leftover lasagna (eggplant and yellow squash subbed for noodles), salad
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Brekkie - A hunk of cheese and some mixed raw nuts, coffee and cream

Lunch - Leftover lamb mince thing with peppers, onion, spinach (which I have recently developed a taste for) and cayenne pepper

Dinner - Some pork mince thing with veggies and small serving of mashed sweet potato with garlic

Sorted :)
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to come up with some new ideas too. I'm getting a little tired of chicken and salad.

Tonight I had 1 link Jennie O - Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage sauteed with bell pepper and onion. It was delish!
    Calories: 193
    Carbs: 9
    Fiber: 2
    Protein: 18
    Fat: 10

Then for dessert Yasso - Blueberry Frozen Greek Yogurt. Nom nom nom!
    Calories: 70
    Carbs: 12
    Fiber: 0
    Protein: 6
    Fat: 0
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Madness today, I've logged everything under breakfast ... School sports day means no time for proper breakfast and the rest was picnicking and an ad-hoc dinner.

I made sure I avoided grains, sugar and processed food so I am good with my choices, a decent hunk of cheese to start the day, some raw nuts as snacks and a big serving of scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, spinach and spices for dinner will do me fine.

The rest is celery, hard-boiled eggs, ham, a few dips and assorted cheese ... All good stuff :)

Why, historically, did I need breadsticks? A slice of bread? Pitta?! Happily passed them by today ...
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    2 cans of Spicy Tuna and a hunk of cheese for breakfast (with coffee and cream), my usual spicy scrambled eggs/bacon/cheese/spinach extravanganza for lunch, roasted organic chicken and salad for dinner, a handful of raw nuts as a snack. And a generous quantity of wine to end the day ;)

Big day tomorrow so I'll need the scrambled eggs and stuff for breakfast to get me through. I do like knowing I am never going to get 'starving hungry' eating this way.
  • nelsonwd
    nelsonwd Posts: 38
    Options
    Just getting back into MFP and back on the low carb lifestyle....

Breakfast...Just discovered Egg Beaters All Natural Egg Whites Florentine. I'm a 'real egg' person, but these are really good. Adding them to my normal routine.

Lunch: Salad with Chicken Breast

Dinner: Organic Spring Salad Mix & a Protein

Dona
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    2 cans of Spicy Tuna and a hunk of cheese for breakfast (with coffee and cream), my usual spicy scrambled eggs/bacon/cheese/spinach extravanganza for lunch, beef stir fry with capsicum, spinach and onion for dinner, a handful of raw nuts as a snack. And a generous quantity of wine to end the day ;) ... Yup, more or less a cut and paste job ...

Playing cricket tomorrow and will have leave early so I've precooked breakfast/lunch ... 2 hard-boiled eggs, a handful of raw nuts and two spicy sausages. That will tide me over until I get home for a decent dinner and will also mean I avoid the usual bread-heavy fodder on sale at lunchtime.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    I am out of eggs, it's going to be porterhouse steak with much fried veggies for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, a bit of hot English mustard and all will be good.

Dinner is an unknown right now, maybe a tuna bake ...
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Baked Gammon joint (Big Ham)

with cauliflower cheese and wilted spinach seasoned with pepper & nutmeg.

mmmmm baked ham......with mustard!!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    We had grilled chicken that I marinated in soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, garlic with baked in foil cauliflower with butter and cheese and broccoli cauliflower salad with mayo dressing........YUMMY!
  • Tina__T
    Tina__T Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here's dinner for me and my family:

http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2011/02/03/chicken-with-coconut-lime-peanut-sauce-recipe/

It's delicious, and I've calculated it to be 2 net grams of carbs per serving!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options

http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2011/02/03/chicken-with-coconut-lime-peanut-sauce-recipe/

I have bookmarked this. It looks delish! thanks!
  • Tina__T
    Tina__T Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I have bookmarked this. It looks delish! thanks!

You're welcome! I found it a few weeks ago looking for a way to use coconut milk, and my whole family loved it :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Dunno today, it's grocery shop day and I am both short of everything and haven't got any lovely, lovely meat out of the freezer. The porterhouse steak yesterday was GLORIOUS with some fried up veggies.

I suspect a light breakfast of a hunk of cheese, nuts and a small tin of spicy tuna will get me through until I can replenish supplies, then all bets are off for a hearty lunch ... salmon or an organic chicken with salad for dinner I suspect.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Then I think I would just keep an eye out on the scale for a week or two - I don't think bumping up to 50-60 g of carbs will cause weight gain - especially if your calories are roughly the same. Looking at your diary it looks pretty good - you might consider looking at Atkins Phase 3 - it actually tells you how to step up your carbs and monitor your weight so you can find what your threshold is before gaining. You probably can go considerably higher than where you are now - the caveat is not letting your calorie counts creep up too high with it. (That may be an unpopular sentiment on a low carb board, but I think once your body chemistry is set, it is absolutely about calories in/out.)

I'm a big fan of debunking the whole calories-in/out thing generally, as an over-riding goal for losing weight.

BUT only if your body's metabolism isn't right. In this case we need to address any underlying issues or creating caloric deficits will be counter-productive, and you'll end up malnourished.

I agree that once you are set in that regard (i.e. you are burning calories optimally and your body can 'see' how much fat you have accurately) then calories-in/out still rule to large extent. I mean, we must be able to cope with a small varience from day to day? By small I don't mean a Big Mac :)

As ever I drift off-topic .. ;)
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not having it today - needed a break since I've eaten it 3 days in a row now :) but made a squash casserole that was pretty good - It was a totally made up thing - was wanting something casserole-y ;)

I cut up 3 medium-ish yellow summer squashes (800 mg), browned some ground beef (24 oz) with 5 tsp taco seasoning (read labels and find the lowest-carb one (and I was watching for lower sodium too) - I used Mama Soccorra), and 8 tbsp of salsa (again, read labels and find one that has fewest carbs), and 4 oz grated cheese (I used my local store brand's organic white cheddar, grate your own - bags of shredded cheese often have starches (hidden carbs) included to keep them from clumping) - i just layered and baked. (Squash, ground beef - although you could do turkey or pork, but might want to up the seasoning a bit to make up for the fat), salsa, cheese, repeat.) Bake covered for about 35 minutes at 350 - and then remove foil and finish for about 10 more. Made 4 pretty hearty servings.

I served with a dollup of sour cream, although next time I make this, I might instead opt for some cottage cheese or ricotta or something (lasagna-like) in with the beef and squash so its a bit gooier.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Big hunk of cheese and some nuts for breakfast on the move then nothing until just now (including about 2 hours of briskish walking) ... a pile of cheerios (cocktail sausages) with some indulgent tomato ketchup and another hunk of cheese hit the spot.

Dinner will be a large porterhouse steak with leafy veggies. And some (some...) ice cream :)

A bit of a mental day but still within guidelines and good that I wasn't THAT hungry after having effectively skipped lunch on a light breakfast. I couldn't have done that on the low fat madness.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in bacon fat, 3 strips of bacon, spot of cream cheese cuz I was still hungry. Coffee with a bit of halt & half (since I'm out of coconut milk)
    Lunch: pork chop & mixed veggies (broc, cauli, carrot, squash blend) with some butter. oh and some avocado.
    Dinner: probably a salad with some chicken. yesterday I made it a buffalo chicken salad, tossed some butter & hot sauce with the chicken before putting it on my salad! YUM. Now I can get my hot wing fix, without the mess of making my own wings (restaurants usually have some batter/breading on them, even if just lightly! TUMMY UPSET!)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    A pretty standard eggs, bacon, cheese, meat and veggies day for me. Nowt wrong with that, it's working :)

The only dietary change will be neat bourbon in place of some wine tonight ... I gave myself a rare spirit treat yesterday and it is wonderous thing.