Introductions

Options

Replies

• jboca93
    jboca93 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I'm jake! I'm 19 years old and I'm currently in my third week of insanity! I never realized how difficult it would be but I'm liking the results. I lost five pounds in the first two weeks and I have another weigh in today. The workouts are difficult and its extremely hard to keep up but I try! Any tips on how to keep up with shaun t and improve my workouts would be greatly appreciated.

As for the nutrition plan, I'm not following the exact insanity plan per say... I stick with my plan that this website gives me. I stay under my calorie limit (most days :P) and try to eat a balanced diet. It seems to be working for me but improvement is always welcome. Any tips for eating plans to go along with insanity? Specifically inexspensive eating plans. I eat alot of yogurt, usually have a protein shake every day, lots of fruits, healthy breakfast cereals (like kashi go lean) but where I really have issues is dinner.... its really hard to stay on track and get a fulfilling dinner. Any tips?
  • crrobinson85
    Options
    Hi, I'm jake! I'm 19 years old and I'm currently in my third week of insanity! I never realized how difficult it would be but I'm liking the results. I lost five pounds in the first two weeks and I have another weigh in today. The workouts are difficult and its extremely hard to keep up but I try! Any tips on how to keep up with shaun t and improve my workouts would be greatly appreciated.

As for the nutrition plan, I'm not following the exact insanity plan per say... I stick with my plan that this website gives me. I stay under my calorie limit (most days :P) and try to eat a balanced diet. It seems to be working for me but improvement is always welcome. Any tips for eating plans to go along with insanity? Specifically inexspensive eating plans. I eat alot of yogurt, usually have a protein shake every day, lots of fruits, healthy breakfast cereals (like kashi go lean) but where I really have issues is dinner.... its really hard to stay on track and get a fulfilling dinner. Any tips?

Hi Jake!

My name is Courtney and I'm in week 3 of Insanity as well. It's awesome, isn't it!

Keeping up with Shaun T is next to impossible. The folks doing the workout with him on the DVD can't even keep up and he takes breaks too. Best advice, go at your own pace...no need to kill over 20 minutes into the 40 min workout. I also downloaded a free heart monitor to my phone and it helps me keep my heart rate in check (Azumio Instant Heart Rate Monitor).

I'm not sure whether you are trying to lose weight or to bulk up, but here are a few friendly tidbits of advice concerning your diet:

1) The recommended diet of MFP is 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat, I believe. If you are trying to lose weight, especially in your mid-section, then you will want to lower your intake of carbs and increase your intake of protein. This will also help with the Insanity workouts because each workout breaks down your muscles and protein is what's needed for your muscles to be rebuilt stronger. I'm a female and I try to do 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. I believe that's the recommended macronutrient breakdown per Insanity.
    2) Lots of fruit and healthy breakfast cereals are good, however, make sure to read the label and/or do your research about what you're eating. Fruit is a great source of complex carbs and fiber, however, some fruits are packed with more carbs than others, and if you're goal is weight loss, this is not completely helpful unless you intend to exercise in the immediate future. As you may know, most of the carbs found in fruit is sugar and if the sugar is not burned right away, it will have the opportunity to convert to fat. The best fruits to eat are berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc) and they are packed full of the good stuff to fight off radical cells that can cause cancer, slow down the aging process, and promote healthy skin. I'm not saying to only eat berries; everything in moderation. Having 3 bananas a day may not (depending on your goals) be the best thing for you if you are trying to lose weight.
    3) Make sure to eat non fat yogurt. I used to eat Yoplait's low fat yogurt because of all of their yummy flavors, but decided to try non-fat greek yogurt, which is healthier, and now I'm in love. It's non-fat, has few carbs and if you buy the 2x protein kind, it's packed with lots of protein for a small serving of yogurt. I recommend Voskos. You can find it at Whole Foods and it's not too pricey, especially if you catch it on sale.
    4) As for dinner, my best tip would be to have 1/2 of your plate protein (lean red meat, fish, and/or chicken), 1/3 non-starchy veggies (like spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, or anything leafy) and the remaining area (1/6 for the math geeks) with carbs (brown rice, small red potatoes, sweet potatoes or multi-grain pasta). The fiber and protein from the meat/seafood and veggies will fill you up. Also, there is truth to eating slowly. The slower you eat, the more time there is for signals to be sent to the brain that you are full.
    5) For those intense Insanity workouts, multi-grain pasta is a great pre-workout or recovery dish (remember all of your cross country team friends having pasta parties before a big meet?), however, you should only eat it in moderation. A bowl of pasta is not necessary. Try to eat it with leafy veggies, some protein and as little sauce as possible if it's a post recovery meal.

The absolute best advice that I can give you is to cook at home, if you are not doing so already. That way, you will have complete control over how your food is cooked, which is just as, if not more, important that what you are actually eating. Spinach cooked in salt and heavy oil defeats the purpose...you get the point.

Hope this helps!
  • jboca93
    jboca93 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks courtney! I'm 227 lbs and trying to lose weight. This site has me on a 1670 calorie diet which I try and stick with every day. I will keep your advice in mind!
  • CathySauder
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a 48 year old mom of 2. I used to be a fitness instructor/personal trainer and in the past 3 years, got a desk job. Put on 30 pounds.. ouch. Because I was used to teaching 2 classes a day, I learned how to pace myself so I didn't burn out. I can run two times a week - 3 miles, hot yoga 2 times a week, cross-trainer 2x's a week, weight training 2 x's week... just what a personal trainer would recommend and I wasn't seeing any results at all.. in fact, the opposite.

Decided I needed to either hire a personal trainer who could kick my butt or try Insanity... my friend was seeing amazing results. Just finished week 7 of Insanity. Two more weeks to go. Finally starting to see results. I'm trying to stay off the scale. The one time I stepped on it, was so discouraging, but I should know... muscle weighs more than fat.

My friend finally commented the other day that my shorts were really baggy in the butt... yay. I've heard you see more results in the second month and with two weeks left to go... it's starting to show.
  • crrobinson85
    Options
    Thanks courtney! I'm 227 lbs and trying to lose weight. This site has me on a 1670 calorie diet which I try and stick with every day. I will keep your advice in mind!

Definitely make sure to calculate your caloric needs per Insanity's nutrition guide. MFP may have you too low...that's seems to have been the trend from what I've read. Mine was 500 calories too low.
  • emgrgg
    emgrgg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Trisha and I just turned 30. I recently gained 20 lbs and I'm ready to take it off! I'm on week 2 of insanity. Exercise has never been a problem for me, but I have a hard time eating right. I have 3 kids and I stay at home except for 2 nights a week when I work at the brewery we own.
  • meg041009
    meg041009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey new here need friends and loosing motivation !! Help!!!! Any tips?
  • Howie3123
    Howie3123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Week 2 Day 1 which I completed this morning. Everybody that I know thinks I am crazy for doing this but I guess that is why they call it INSANITY!

I do INSANITY in the morning and then try to go to they gym (usually do the elliptical and lift) or I go for like a 40 minute walk in the afternoon.

Anybody who is around this day, let me know.

Keep pushing play everyone!!!
  • saclarke89
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Sarah I'm 23 years old and a full time student. I just started my insanity journey yesterday june 18. I have had the dvd's for over a year now but could never commit to the entire 2 months. I finally decided its time to do it. The first video was tough. I had to take a few small breaks outside of the ones they give you. Has anyone had to do this?? or am I just REALLY out of shape?? I like the fact that its done in the privcay of your own home, however I still get frusterated as to how I feel during the workout (everythign bouncing and jiggling) hahaha. It almost makes me wanna stop.... However I decided to make that a motivator instead and seemed to keep me pushing harder.

Most people keep telling me that I don't need to do it, Im 5 feet tall and 115 lbs. It may not seem like alot but for a tiny frame like mine, it's just uncomfortable. I am not worried about the weight so much as I would rather lose some intches and firm up. I dont really know what results to expect from insanity but I just hope it works !!!

Proud to hear that so many other people are taking the challenge as well and seem to be doing so well.

KEEP IT UP!!
  • Giarmar
    Giarmar Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! My name is Giselle I'm 30 y/o, 5'2 and 153 lbs. Today is day 14 of Insanity and I have gained 2lbs :(. Don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I am following the nutrition guide and pushing myself to complete the full workouts. I have been reading today that it could be from water retention but I'm not sure. Need some encouragement and motivation to continue. Good luck to everyone!
  • Bastiencade
    Options
    My name is Devon, I'm on the second day of week 2 as of today. I'm really loving it! I'm not sore anymore, and feel so much more energized. I'm excited to see results, but as of right now my body actually feels MORE bloated, even though I've completely changed my diet since starting and have only been drinking water. It's only been 8 days, though, so I am not too worried about the issues.

How long did it take for people to start actually seeing the results? I know some people lose weight during the first few weeks, but I'm more asking about physical changes.
  • crrobinson85
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Sarah I'm 23 years old and a full time student. I just started my insanity journey yesterday june 18. I have had the dvd's for over a year now but could never commit to the entire 2 months. I finally decided its time to do it. The first video was tough. I had to take a few small breaks outside of the ones they give you. Has anyone had to do this?? or am I just REALLY out of shape?? I like the fact that its done in the privcay of your own home, however I still get frusterated as to how I feel during the workout (everythign bouncing and jiggling) hahaha. It almost makes me wanna stop.... However I decided to make that a motivator instead and seemed to keep me pushing harder.

Most people keep telling me that I don't need to do it, Im 5 feet tall and 115 lbs. It may not seem like alot but for a tiny frame like mine, it's just uncomfortable. I am not worried about the weight so much as I would rather lose some intches and firm up. I dont really know what results to expect from insanity but I just hope it works !!!

Proud to hear that so many other people are taking the challenge as well and seem to be doing so well.

KEEP IT UP!!

Hi there,

I'm sure your results will be great and I've heard that the results really start to show in month 2. I'm currently on week 4 and have been losing inches and a little weight. I'm figuring that the weight of my muscles is displacing the weight of my fat :-D

Anywho, I just wanted to suggest to you that you invest in a VERY good sports bra to help with the jiggling and bouncing (assuming that's what you were referring to). I have a small frame but really big ones. I bought the new sports bra from Panache. It reduces 83% of bounce (yippe), but it's only for D-H cups. Whether you're up there or not, I would suggest in investing in quality sports bras; in otherwords, not the Target or Walmart brand. They can be a bit costly, but the difference a good sports bra makes in your workout is night and day.

Hope this helps. If not, hopefully it will help someone else. Oh, and don't feel bad about having to longer breaks. Did you notice that the people on the DVD have to sit out sometimes too? So keep pushing and digging.
  • crrobinson85
    Options
    Hello! My name is Giselle I'm 30 y/o, 5'2 and 153 lbs. Today is day 14 of Insanity and I have gained 2lbs :(. Don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I am following the nutrition guide and pushing myself to complete the full workouts. I have been reading today that it could be from water retention but I'm not sure. Need some encouragement and motivation to continue. Good luck to everyone!

Hi,

Don't feel discouraged! It could be water retention if your not drinking enough water during the workout and throughout the day. I carry a 1.5L bottle with me each day and drink about 1L before, during and after the workout. Just be careful not to overload on water because then you can face bloating (I know...balancing act). The other reason why the scale might have gone up is because muscle tissue is now displacing fat tissue (yippe!). Muscle tissue is denser that fat tissue. So don't be discouraged. Keeping going with the workouts and stay on the nutrition plan. I'm hearing that month 2 is where you really start to shed serious weight and inches.
  • S_Haskell
    S_Haskell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello All my name is Shelitha and I am on day 2 of my second week of Insanity. These workouts are... well Insane lol I love it though. I have such a great sense of accomplishment when I'm done. I didn't loose any weight the first week but I was also eating everything and not paying attention to calories. I'm not eating from the nutrition plan for Insanity but I have a diet plan that has worked wonders for me in the past (20 lbs in 5 weeks), I am trying to stay in the 1500 calorie range and about 55% carbs, 30% protein and 15% fat. Since I started eating that way again I noticed I had more energy and was able to push through the workouts better (uhhh not by much lol). I plan to stick with it even if I don't see the scale moving by much but I hope that it does! I'll have 3 week pictures on my profile page soon and hopefully they will show off my hard work!
  • saclarke89
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm sure your results will be great and I've heard that the results really start to show in month 2. I'm currently on week 4 and have been losing inches and a little weight. I'm figuring that the weight of my muscles is displacing the weight of my fat :-D

Anywho, I just wanted to suggest to you that you invest in a VERY good sports bra to help with the jiggling and bouncing (assuming that's what you were referring to). I have a small frame but really big ones. I bought the new sports bra from Panache. It reduces 83% of bounce (yippe), but it's only for D-H cups. Whether you're up there or not, I would suggest in investing in quality sports bras; in otherwords, not the Target or Walmart brand. They can be a bit costly, but the difference a good sports bra makes in your workout is night and day.

Hope this helps. If not, hopefully it will help someone else. Oh, and don't feel bad about having to longer breaks. Did you notice that the people on the DVD have to sit out sometimes too? So keep pushing and digging.

Hi there,
    Ya I'm not too worried about the number of my weight, just have a higher goal to lose some intches.

Thanks for the helpfull tip, I'll definitely look into geatting a Panache sports bra, the ones I use are just from united cycle hahah so nothing fancy. I can only imagine how pricey it is, but gosh, if it helps the way your telling me that it will be totally worth it. Nothing like an amazing workout with no problems haha

I never really noticed that the extras in the videos take breaks until yesterday.Once you pointed it out I noticed it. I guess it really is a program you can do at your own pace. I am always one of those individuals who thinks that if you can't keep up with intructor then you arent doing your ut most best. BUT I know I am COMPLETELY WRONG. Just sticking to it is the best thing an individual can do.

After hearing about everyones results I am very excited and looking forward to seeing the same in month 2!
  • ChristinaWgettingfit
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm Christina and I'm 22. I'm starting Insanity on Monday 6/25 and I'm soo excited. I've been watching the infomercials for about 2 years now and finally decided to just go out and buy it. I can't want to start :)
  • shannyfro
    shannyfro Posts: 641
    Options
    Hey, my name is Shannon and I'm 25 years old. I started Insanity today and it kicked my butt!! haha I couldn't even make it through the whole workout without passing out. I did 30 minutes but I think that's a good start! I'm here for any encouragement or advice.
  • GMazarie
    GMazarie Posts: 4
    Options
    Starting month 2 of insanity this week. I did well on the fit test and was exhausted after and did not have the energy to do the actual workout right after. Are most of you able to do both? should I maybe start adding more calories to my diet??
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am Amber - I am a 29 year old married mother of 2 adorable little boys! My oldest is 7 and my youngest is 16 months.

I never really had a problem with my weight until I had kids are here lately it has gotten outta control so I am back on track and looking to get healthy so I can enter my 30's healthy, happy, and comfortable in my own skin.

Feel free to add me as a friend! I am starting Insanity on Monday, 25 June.
  • jennyfure
    jennyfure Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Jennifer and 31 years old.. I am on day 5 of Insanity.. I would love to get a flatter tummy and see some definition in my abs and more in my legs and arms.. I did P90X for about a month after my first pregnancy and lost about 12 lbs.. and then gave up - that was about 2 years ago. The dedication to working out will not be as hard as the food changes for me. I have been lucky enough to eat horribly and stay thin.. but I know that I will probably not see the results I want without making some dietary changes - so I have added MFP to help me along the way. I could also use some others as motivation/accountability that are going through the program too - feel free to add me..!