Is Homosexuality a Choice?

Options

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I tend to think choice isn't involved much because if you're making a choice to change your orientation, it seems like there's a lot more going on there than just changing your orientation. I mean, if you suddenly find yourself attracted to someone from a gender that you don't usually respond to in that way (emotionally and physically), then you haven't made a choice; it just happened.

If you go through a process where you're weighing the options and you decide "Nope, I'm going to be [heterosexual/homosexual] instead now." The question is why? What else is happening in your life? I have known people who have tried to change and genuinely wanted to make a choice, but it was because something else was wrong. They hated themselves, or felt as if someone they loved hated them, or they suffered from various forms of depression. Being gay wasn't the problem. All these other issues were the problem, "being gay" just got stuck with the check and seemed like the easiest fix for them. I haven't met one person for whom it worked out long term. It's not to say that it doesn't happen, but I think the circumstances for that kind of lasting change of identity made by choice are pretty darn rare.

My own theory ties into what I previously said earlier about the black and white arguments. I feel that groups such as the religious considered it a choice and a sin, therefore harmful and bad. I think that the reaction by the gay community and the progressives was to argue from the other side of the spectrum that none of it was a choice and it wall all chemical or genetic or what have yout. And while I truly do believe, as stated earlier, that there are a section of the population that is completely, genetically gay, there is a larger segment of the population that could in theory exhibit gay behavior for the sheer pleasure of it, but remain totally hetero to meet societal, religous, and moral standards. So in the end, for some people, it might be a choice because their urges are vastly reduced compared to the 100% homosexual for nothing other than what seems to be peer pressure on a grand scale.

I just think you have to differentiate between one's inherent nature and some occasional or transient behavior they may engage in. Homosexuality is not defined by sexual acts. As I believe I have stated before, my daughter attended an all-girls college that supported, if not outright celebrated, lebianism. As she described it, there were plenty of girls who experimented with different lifestyle choices, some just for fun, some to fit in with a particular group. Those types of people are not "gay".

And IMO, that's one thing that muddies the waters in these discussions. Because there are people like the ones described above, or others who have psychological or emotional issues that will result in them being confused about their sexuality. I suspect that 95% of those who claim they have "cured their gay" fall into this category (i.e. they were not really gay to begin with).

And the other 5% are lying -- they haven't changed at all.

Since we had this discussion recently, I (vaguely) remember some of the reading I did for it (yes, I often do homework before coming to class). The gist of it seemed like there was a difference between "genetic gay" and "developmental gay" (and by developmental, I mean before birth). Modern research was downgrading the incidence of the former and focusing more on the latter. The end result was still the same--people are born with their orientation--it was a difference of exactly when the development occurred.

And, as most have said, whether it is or isn't is irrelevant, IMO. Even if it were completely a personal choice, that would not make any difference, since their is nothing inherently wrong with it.

I guess what I am just trying to get at is that the their is a smal population of people in the world who are genetically gay, which means to me that they are almost exclusively attracted to the same sex sexually, romantically, and lovingly. I think that as a society we are much to scared to admit that .
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't even matter. I like tall men. I'm not genetically predisposed to like men over a certain height but I am just not attracted to short guys. When I findout some celebrity I thought was attractive is really only 5'4" they lose a lot of attractiveness to me. So I chose a tall man. But fortunately for me no one is going to say "Well I think it's icky to marry someone over 6'2" so therefore your marriage is invalid." or "The Bible says that those who are closer to the Earth are holy so therefore tall people are against the Bible and shouldn't be allowed to marry." Why should it be any different for a gay couple? I've actually never seen a valid non religious argument against gay marriage that didn't boil down to "I think it's gross." I don't care if someone wants to be with a tall person, a fat person, a bald person, a person with kids, and old person, a person of the same sex, a person of a different race, a person of a different religion, etc. It just shouldn't matter. No one ever asks "Is interracial dating a choice?" because it doesn't matter. Why should anyone have to try to justify who they are attracted to?
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a choice because I personally don't feel that anyone can pick and choose who they are attracted to. I could TRY to be attracted to a woman the same as I am a man, but it wouldn't be the same. My lesbian friend can TRY to be attracted to men, and indeed, tried in the past to please her family, but she is who she is. Bisexual people can and are attracted to both sexes. Everyone is different. I can't explain why I like to eat black forest cake--I just like it. I can pretend to NOT like it, but I'd be lying. I'd be lying if I said I liked to eat lamb--I don't like the taste, and I have no idea why. Sexuality, in my opinion, is the same--it is different for everyone.
    Why should anyone have to try to justify who they are attracted to?

^These statements pretty much sum it up. I also believe that Kinsey's sexual orientation continuum is valid - definitely not a black and white issue. I don't choose who I'm attracted to but I can of course choose to act on it or pursue anything. Anyone can choose to be true to his/her feelings or deny them. I also tend to think that heterosexual folks that claim to be 100% are quite possibly choosing to deny any kind of same-sex attraction. Who knows. (*ducks* :flowerforyou: )
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I also tend to think that heterosexual folks that claim to be 100% are quite possibly choosing to deny any kind of same-sex attraction. Who knows. (*ducks* :flowerforyou: )

I remember either watching or reading an interview with Natalie Portman saying something like this. I think she said something along the lines of "I wouldn't limit myself to only being attracted to one gender, when the possibility is out there." I can't remember her exact words.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I also tend to think that heterosexual folks that claim to be 100% are quite possibly choosing to deny any kind of same-sex attraction. Who knows. (*ducks* :flowerforyou: )

I remember either watching or reading an interview with Natalie Portman saying something like this. I think she said something along the lines of "I wouldn't limit myself to only being attracted to one gender, when the possibility is out there." I can't remember her exact words.
    I disagree. I like men. I can appreciate a beautiful woman. I think Anne Hathaway is stunning. But I don't ever think about doing to her the things I'd like to do to Joe Mangelleo. My sister is gay. She can appreciate that Joe is sexy but she can't picture wanting to do to him the things she'd like to do to Anne.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

I disagree. I like men. I can appreciate a beautiful woman. I think Anne Hathaway is stunning. But I don't ever think about doing to her the things I'd like to do to Joe Mangelleo. My sister is gay. She can appreciate that Joe is sexy but she can't picture wanting to do to him the things she'd like to do to Anne.

I think what Natalie Portman meant by her quote was more along the lines of the fact that while she doesn't identify herself as gay or bisexual (at least she didn't at the time, who knows if that's changed, I don't follow celebrities much :tongue: ), she wasn't flat-out saying "It would never happen" and that if her feelings changed, she'd embrace it.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The emotion is not a choice.

Acting on that emotion is.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

Care to elaborate more?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Care to elaborate more?

I believe she means that the only element of choice revolves around behavior. The emotional aspect that's tied to our identities is not a choice, but I'm not in her head. :)

Frequently people who are opposed to homosexuality ignore the difference, and they speak and operate under the assumption that being gay is exclusively all about sex acts. A la, "how will I explain two men holding hands to my kid!" The implication is that they're afraid of having to go into detail about the couple's bedroom activities, but there isn't a need to. It's not like they would go into graphic detail about bedroom activities if a man and a woman were holding hands.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

Care to elaborate more?

I believe she means that the only element of choice revolves around behavior. The emotional aspect that's tied to our identities is not a choice, but I'm not in her head. :)

Frequently people who are opposed to homosexuality ignore the difference, and they speak and operate under the assumption that being gay is exclusively all about sex acts. A la, "how will I explain two men holding hands to my kid!" The implication is that they're afraid of having to go into detail about the couple's bedroom activities, but there isn't a need to. It's not like they would go into graphic detail about bedroom activities if a man and a woman were holding hands.

That's pretty much what I got from the statement as well. :tongue:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I meant to post this reply before 5 pm PST for Evan, but I forgot. I saw the comment saying homosexuality itself is not a choice, but acting on it is. This is a typical Christian statement regarding homosexuality as a sin. "Being" homosexual is not a sin, but engaging in the sexual act is- in the eyes of many Christians. To this I say, "So what"? So, you think someone else is sinning. What makes some Christians think they can go around pointing fingers at others' sins? We all sin. How about lying, stealing, cheating, judging? ALL sins. What makes Christian thieves think they are morally superior to homosexuals? What makes Christians who constantly lie think they are "better" than hosexuals? What makes heterosexual cheating spouses think they have any right making comments about homosexuality being a sin?

Any Christian care to debate these points with me?
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I meant to post this reply before 5 pm PST for Evan, but I forgot. I saw the comment saying homosexuality itself is not a choice, but acting on it is. This is a typical Christian statement regarding homosexuality as a sin. "Being" homosexual is not a sin, but engaging in the sexual act is- in the eyes of many Christians. To this I say, "So what"? So, you think someone else is sinning. What makes some Christians think they can go around pointing fingers at others' sins? We all sin. How about lying, stealing, cheating, judging? ALL sins. What makes Christian thieves think they are morally superior to homosexuals? What makes Christians who constantly lie think they are "better" than hosexuals? What makes heterosexual cheating spouses think they have any right making comments about homosexuality being a sin?

As your suggested debate is a topic other than 'Is Homosexuality a Choice' and restricted to Christians only you should start a new thread.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

As your suggested debate is a topic other than 'Is Homosexuality a Choice' and restricted to Christians only you should start a new thread.

So...does that mean Evan was right in his assumption of what you said? o.O
  • macpatti
    Options
    Meh. The threads/topics in here usually go in different directions. I wasn't saying ONLY Christians could respond, just wondering if any wanted to.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Meh. The threads/topics in here usually go in different directions. I wasn't saying ONLY Christians could respond, just wondering if any wanted to.

If I disagreed with you, I might. But I'm in agreement, at least as far as "let he who is without sin throw the first stone" and the un-Christian nature of judgmental behaviour goes, so nothing to add/debate!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Here's the Salvation Army's position - and it's fairly typical of that point of view. Hate the sin, love the sinner, and all that.

"The Salvation Army does not consider same-sex orientation blameworthy in itself. Homosexual conduct, like heterosexual conduct, requires individual responsibility and must be guided by the light of scriptural teaching. Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life.”
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Here's the Salvation Army's position - and it's fairly typical of that point of view. Hate the sin, love the sinner, and all that.

"The Salvation Army does not consider same-sex orientation blameworthy in itself. Homosexual conduct, like heterosexual conduct, requires individual responsibility and must be guided by the light of scriptural teaching. Scripture forbids sexual intimacy between members of the same sex. The Salvation Army believes, therefore, that Christians whose sexual orientation is primarily or exclusively same-sex are called upon to embrace celibacy as a way of life.”

Just goes to prove---for like the 8 billionth time--that this has nothing to do with morals, god, etc.

It's all about people being insecure with their "yucky" parts, and trying to rationalize their neuroses by dressing them up in fancy clothes and calling them "religious beliefs". (not to mention, picking and choosing which "scripture" parts they want to follow).

Sorry--I can't "love" these sinners, no matter how much I am supposed to.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Just goes to prove---for like the 8 billionth time--that this has nothing to do with morals, god, etc.

It's all about people being insecure with their "yucky" parts, and trying to rationalize their neuroses by dressing them up in fancy clothes and calling them "religious beliefs". (not to mention, picking and choosing which "scripture" parts they want to follow).

Which ones? :laugh: I don't agree with the Sallies' conclusions, but at least their stance is clear, logical, in light of their beliefs, and moderately compassionate, in contrast with some of the more extreme (un)Christian groups.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Then you're just as bad. We ALL are sinners, but we are all deserving of love, respect and dignity. Again, who are we to measure sin against sin?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

I don't think I am morally superior to homosexuals. God knows I fall short of His glory every single day. Homosexuals are no less deserving of love than I am. But the New Testament does teach that love for a sinner does not mean tolerating or condoning his or her sin. Believing that homosexual behavior is sinful doesn't mean that I think it's somehow "better" in God's eyes to be a liar or a thief.