Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options
GrannyMayOz
GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
Hello dear Ladies,

I just thought/hoped it would be nice for us to have our own thread where we can discuss the 'special challenges' facing us. One of the things I love most about LCHF is that not too much fuss is made about us having to work harder than younger women, or men (why do they get everything in life apparently easier than we do? ;) ) But it seems to me that we do have to go that extra mile to gain results. So let's join hands and walk this journey together with our shared wisdom. I'm sure that we can learn together and have fun along the way too.

On Day 27 of LCHF for me, I have lost as much as 4 lbs, but each time I've got to that figure my weight has gone back up again. Not all the way back to starting weight, but some gain. Yet my body has *definitely* lost fat. My husband (they're notorious for not noticing change, right? ;) ) can even see the difference! I have to admit that we have begun alternate-running/walking on the treadmill the way we used to last year until I had a back injury, and have started some light dumbbell work as well so some of that gain is bound to be muscle. We have a treadmill each and run together with little challenges to see who can do best. It's almost always him, but it's still encouraging for me.

I have learned that *for me* (not dictating anyone else's journey!) calories do matter and also that there's a limit to my fat intake before my weight reacts badly. I'm pretty sure my water intake matters too, though I've yet to prove that one.

My start weight was 194 lbs, and I was 191 this morning. My best has been 190 lbs, which I achieved on 31st January, 2nd and 3rd Feb and 15th Feb. I do measure my tummy once a week and I've lost 3 cm (1.1 inches) with it sticking out at rest LOL or 2.5 cm (almost 1") with it held in comfortably, so there's a little happening there.

The macro goals I aim for are <20g Carbs, around 130g Fat, around 70g Protein and 1600 Calories, plus most of exercise calories 'paid back' as additional food if I feel I need it.

Love
May

Replies

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good topic, thanks for starting. I've been LCHF-Keto since Jan 1 and have had the same experience as you with regards to calories. I dropped 3 pounds early on, water mostly I'm sure, and then bounced up and down 1-2 pounds but never below -3.2 pounds from start. Lost about 1.25 inches off waist, but nowhere else.
    I'm visiting family this week so using my son's scale and I'm down a pound on that scale since arriving Saturday but I won't count it until I get home and see--I usually put on a pound or so with long flights and with the different scales, just not sure ...What I've been doing different since being here is after having my BPC around 8/9 am, I'm not eating again until mid/late afternoon. Haven't been hungry and wanted to mix things up a bit to see if that would help get the weight moving down.
    The last 2-3 weeks, I've been watching the calories much closer and aiming for 1375 (I don't eat back exercise calories in full-usually allow up to 1/2 and base it on hunger and energy level). The calculators generally allocate 1550-1650 calories for me. Macros as approx goals (I focus on the net carbs primarily and make sure to have plenty of fat): Net carbs 20; Fat 100; Protein 90, I tend to run over on fat (around 115) and under on protein (around 75).
    I keep a spreadsheet of each day's macros, weight, measurements to look for trends, insights. I do love eating this way and feel good.
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi May. I tend to have a day where my weight takes a dive (usually about half a pound) then goes up a pound again and VERY slowly inches down till the next drop a couple weeks later. My tracking doesn't explain it. It can happen after good days or bad but the trend is down so all is Good!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    So glad to have you post sbom, thank you. Sounds as if you're doing pretty well considering you're visiting, well done! I hope, if we are all reacting to our macros similarly, that we can work out a strategy to help us all lose weight consistently.

I wake around 10am and have 2 cups of coffee with either coconut milk or whipping cream in them. We have our main meal around 1pm, hubby goes to work around 3pm. I eat a smaller meal around 8pm or whenever I feel like it, and I try to save enough macros to have a piece of camembert cheese around midnight as a snack, though I'm often not hungry. Hubby and I have a cuppa together after he gets home from work around midnight/1am and we go to bed around 2am.

I used to eat 4 meals a day plus snacks until I found LCHF. Now I'm very happy and full on 2 meals a day, usually no snacks, and I never think about food. Even when I do get hungry it isn't urgent as it used to be.

I keep a very thorough spreadsheet too. Isn't it fascinating to record everything and work out what leads to success and what doesn't?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'll be 39 this year, and today is day 35 for me, and even though I'm not older, perhaps because of health issues (PCOS, hypothyroid, etc.), almost all of this applies for me as well. My scale tracker looks like a stock market graph going up and down, up and down. My body really likes 248-248.2. I did get down to 247 a couple weeks back, I think, but my starting was 255, so it hasn't been that much actual weight.

I'm utterly thankful for the NSV's of feeling better and losing some inches and such, or I might have lost my gumption so far. I know I'm not quite in the age range listed on the post, but I hope y'all don't mind.

I'm focusing on carbs right now, but I do have my calories set for 1 pound loss per week, and I stay below them more often than not... I think I'm going to have to set them lower soon, and just keep my ratios...
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Everyone who is needing to take extra care (compared to those who lose easily on LCHF) is welcome Knit. I'm 50% hoping everyone will enjoy the friendship and support of others 'in the same boat' and 50% hoping we may even come up with a breakthrough of the Magic Formula that will have us all losing easily as well. That may not be possible for all of us on the same MF, but we can always hope.

What's your calorie goal Knit? Mine's usually 1600 but I also usually eat back my exercise calories too. (That might have to go :( )

*Hugs*
    May
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think it is 1750. Maintenance for my weight is 2000 or so. Right now I try to eat back about half of my workout calories, but I have my activity level set a sedentary with negative adjustments, so if I don't shake my tailfeather daily, I lose calories, too! I just don't feel comfortable with a deficit of 500+ right now in my diary.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well I might as well put a bullet in my head. I am 65 and also hypothyroid and I am sure I had PCOS when I was younger only they never called it that back then. Ovaries are long gone but after reading of all the ladies here with it in there youth I read up on it and it appears the PCOS system problems do no go away with the ovaries. Reports on my old medical records mention cysts cysts cysts causing all my troubles. Hummmmmmm

I am also having the ups and downs with my weight. I have not been keeping a chart. I did it for hubby and just can not go back to it for me. Makes me shudder. My ups and downs are like you all describe. Today I have tipped down to the next lowest pound but not going to celebrate or post it until it stays there or goes lower. My pant size is down 2 sizes.

Changes I am going to make. First my macros are set at 5% Carbs 20% Protein 75% Fats. 1500 calories. I rarely make 1500. I tend to be more in the 1200 to 1300 range. I set sedentary on the keto calculator as suggested. I am FAR from sedentary. With all the animals and hubbys illness, even though he is better now he does very little around here. That is fine. It will be all on me sooner or later. Hoping it is later. It takes me an hour and a half every morning just to do morning chores animals, vacuum daily, meals,laundry whatever. Summer it is the half acre yard and I love my yard and spend a lot of time out there. Winter it is shoveling and plowing snow. I am active for my age building fence and yard structures the patio last year all by myself. Joe did help with the last project for a couple of hours. I also walk at least a mile on my afternoon walk and always laugh at how my step meter records at least a mile and a half moving around inside the house. REALLY Amazing to me how I can travel so much inside.

OK back to changes. Some one posted this site on one of the threads I latched onto it and working my macros to try to make every meal come out to 2 or above. This is supposed to be the magic number to make this WOE really work. I have been kind of working towards this but was never as strict as I am going to be now at hitting that 2 or above figure. Go read the whole page for an understanding of what I am talking about. Yesterday was my first day and today I am down a pound??? Interesting. I will let you know how this is working for me.

http://www.flexibleketogenic.com/

My biggest problem is constipation while eating this way. I have tried everything mentioned and nothing works very well for that. I am sure I would be losing faster if things were moving along on a more regular basis. I thought I had it cured with the coconut oil in my BPC but that only lasted for a few days.

End of book sorry so long.

chris
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    OH I am 5'5" starting weight was 230 in August. I lost 14 pounds doing CICO then gained back 6. Gave up until November 28 at 222. Doctor appointment Dec 3 weight was 220 after only a few days on LCHF. Now not recorded 206.8 this AM.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    I forgot one more thing I do not log my activities because I do not want it messing up my macros. I never eat back any calories I might have burned. I logged a couple of times and saw how much I could eat back. I do not know why would I do that? I would think working or working out would be to burn calories not give me a reason to eat more.

61 degrees out there I am off for my walk.
  • Ruskinbarb
    Ruskinbarb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is with me. About 10 years ago I did low carb and had no problem, I lost weight on nearly a daily basis. I'm 55 now and I think my fat is more stubborn than ever! It's not going away. I started again January 1st and have lost 6 lbs., no inches, no looser clothing. And on Valentine's Day I indulged, knocked myself out of ketosis and still can't get back. My keto sticks are showing only trace. It's been 5 days! My carb intake is +/-25 net and my macro are about 5, 25, 70. I'm having a hard time keeping my calories @1350 (target) and often eat around 1500-1600. Too many calories?? I walked 4 miles today @15min/mile, the fastest I've walked in a very long time...I'm saying that's a NSV!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm really heavy. Ideally, I'd like to lose half my body weight but I'd be thrilled with less than that. I'm also peri-menopausal. I know this is going to be a long journey so I'm not aiming for a set point finish. This has to be a lifestyle change forever so if it takes me 2-3 years to get there, so be it.

I've been losing quite steadily. 14kg (30lbs) in the first 13 weeks. But I fluctuate wildly. I can be up or down 3kgs from day to day so I weigh myself sporadically. I went for an entire month because I was getting so frustrated and it helped a lot to not look at the scale every day. I know I'm smaller because my clothes are looser. Clothes that were tight are now comfortable.

I have set my macros but I consider more like guidelines. Some days I have more carbs but I'll keep them under 40 or 50 grams which is still considered extremely low carbs although it's not considered keto. It's working for me and makes life more enjoyable so while that's still happening I'm happy.

I wasn't having any "junk food" in terms of diet drinks in the beginning but I have started to do so because it's nice to have something to drink other than tea/coffee/water. :) I can also add some spirits from time to time and it allows me to feel more social.

Other than the wild fluctuations in weight, I'm coping quite well. I haven't hit any negative feedback from anyone as yet which also makes it easier.

I try to stay positive every day. Focus on what I CAN eat rather than what I can't. There are plenty of people on WW who would love to eat as much as they want and indulge in bacon, chicken skin, butter, cream and steak fat. I've done WW. More than once. This is much, much tastier and more filling. I'm not hungry all the time.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    PS I'm not quite 50 but I'm sure that's ok.
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 5 months to loose 20 lbs but the best NSV is to feel great and be full of energy. That in itself is reason enough to keep on. I strive to stay under 50 carbs (not Net) that way when I take off the fiber it looks much better. Slow and steady Oh, I'm 59 and still have about 35 lbs to my weight goal
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    I was doing really good in the energy department and I might have worn myself out. The last two days I have felt exhausted. I worked hard for 5 days outside. Does any one else just get worn out? I have been sleeping just fine. Looking for a high energy day again tomorrow.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    PS I'm not quite 50 but I'm sure that's ok.

It is *definitely* OK, welcome to the best sub-group here ;)

Welcome to @shadesofidaho @sbom1 @ibetty55 @knitormiss and @ruskinbarb too.

I slept badly last night and I'm up 200g this morning. Weight gain after a bad night is very predictably an outcome and one reason that *for me* weighing daily is of scientific research benefit because my food was perfect yesterday so I know why it didn't produce a weight loss.

My food yesterday was 2 meals, both over 2 on the flexibleketogenic.com calculator and I ended the day with a score of 2.3. Pretty sure for a younger person, or a male, that would have created a weight loss (given a good night's sleep for them too!).

Pretty sure I slept badly because I didn't drink enough water yesterday. I've proven that over time too. Dehydration means I get sooo close to sleep but then 'come to' again, over and over for hours before I finally fall properly asleep.

Oh, I'm 58 years old and have around 15 kgs (30 - 35 lbs) to lose - ideally ;) But I'd settle for anything more than 5 kgs tee hee!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is me! (almost)

I'm 49.9 (I turn 50 in a few weeks). I don't focus on low carb, but rather "slow carb". I eat, and have eaten for the last 14 years, following the principles of low glycemic load/South Beach diet.

I'm peri-menopausal. Have a period when it wants to come. DEFINITELY feel my waist shifting, though so far I'm maintaining my weight loss.

It's all very fascinating.
    I *do* know that for me, while "lower carb" is fine, and "slower carb" is fine, it's gotta be more plant based. I do eat meat, chicken, fish etc. But if I eat too much, my night sweats and hot flashes (and migraines) increase.

Sleep comes and goes. Periods come and go. Wine comes and goes. :blush:

I dont log often, but average around 50grams net with some cheese, and usually one meat a day.

5'6"/ 135 and holding. So far.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Welcome aboard Sabine. If it's any comfort I only had the 'unscheduled tropical holidays' for a couple of years. It saved us a fortune in heating for 2 winters. Now I only get about 1 per year.

Bacon is my only 'red meat'. It sounds as if you have a good 'handle' on what works for you, well done!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I logged a couple of times and saw how much I could eat back. I do not know why would I do that? I would think working or working out would be to burn calories not give me a reason to eat more.

I think the main reason they recommend you eat back calories is to feed your muscle-building, so that your body doesn't end up depleting what muscles you already have. For example, if you are doing heavy lifting to build your biceps, but haven't consumed enough nutrients to fuel that workout, your body will take from other parts. I am not an expert in this, will search for a link on it... Try this one (for body builders but it applies to us too! we are human too): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/

It all depends on how much you work out, and whether you are estimating calories burned accurately. I use a fitbit One, but lately wonder if it overestimates??
    I am 57, eat now 1450 cals per day, but while I was losing I ate around 1200-1300, plus calories back on days when I worked out. I was hungry! Now I am maintaining.
    My weight loss chart is always a jagged up and down line, some days up a kilo, then down again. Go more by how your clothing fits. If it feels looser, you have lost fat!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]39769193.png[/url]
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome and thanks @Camtosh, all information is good information for sure! It must be amazing to be at maintenance, congratulations on that and don't ever forget to appreciate it.

I'm on 1600 cals per day, hoping that I can get into weight loss mode on that. I'm sedentary, but exercise hard around 3 times per week (jogging/sprinting on a treadmill) and do some weights each day as well. I've always gained muscle really easily, but I'm a solid, stocky bone structure so I have to have something going for me, right? LOL
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    :smiley: Attention Everyone! :smiley:

*If* you wish to take part in the 'what's the secret to weight loss for us especially Beautiful Ladies', please will you post the following...

1) Things that you've proved to be true for you (that either lead to weight loss, or weight gain)

2) Questions you would love to gain a wider view on how other Beautiful Ladies are affected by certain behaviours/food/exercise of your choosing.

:smiley::smiley::smiley: