Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Oh I think many of the foods containing potassium are high carb. I know banana is and I think potato has good potassium too. I find I am usually low on my sodium intake. I always have been.

healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

No hurry on the email I am turning in early tonight. I am so tired. It stresses me when hubby does not feel well. I know it is this way every scan I just get stressed.

Broccoli is huge on potassium, and oddly, I've found, so are chicken legs/thighs with skin on...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I am so tired. It stresses me when hubby does not feel well. I know it is this way every scan I just get stressed.
    I can well understand that dear Shades. It's called love and concern after all.

Thank you so much for the potassium advice and yes, I did only take a half dose of the Gastrolyte, and entered it in my diary which shows it's barely a drop in the ocean of what I should be having daily. I'll go look at that list of foods, and I've bought some kelp dust today which apparently you can mix with salt. I *do* feel low in something, but what? It's pretty impossible to divine what *sigh* ;)

When my son was 18 months old he had to have an ingrown toenail operated on. They told me 'nil by mouth' from midnight. Did that, took him to hospital, of course yelling because he was hungry and thirsty. His op was delayed and they came to me at 1pm to tell me that he *could* have had food and drink until 2 hours ago, but too late now. I was *not* happy! I hear *exactly* what you're talking about on staying hydrated when you're 'nil by mouth' it's just ridiculous.

Whenever they say nothing by mouth after a certain time, it is usually because it interferes with tests. I make sure to tell them that I take my thyroid medicine and birth control pill on a certain schedule that cannot be changed for efficacy. Unless testing for thyroid a certain way, this has never been a problem. They'll tell you not to drink more than a certain amount of water if the result is one that can be diluted, but they'll generally say, yes, water and black coffee are okay up to a certain limit, but you have to ask to be sure. So, whenever the say "nothing," I always clarify. No need to needlessly suffer!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Cracking up this AM. After all poor Joe went through to get his blood drawn for labs we get a notice telling us he missed yesterdays appointment. SMH Crazy. He is feeling better today and was able to eat his breakfast. Weather depending I am back to fencing.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    @QuilterInVA welcome, welcome, I'm so glad you found us and look forward to seeing more of you. You sound very young at heart, wow! I love crafts and exercise too. And this WOE of course!

@Knit that's really worth knowing for any future times, thank you so much for your knowledge and for sharing it!

@Shades Oh noooo! Well you'd have to laugh wouldn't you. Good grief!!!
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was so glad to see this thread last week but only just got a free moment to post.

I started eating LCHF Jan 2014 and turned 50 last May. In the past 13 months I've lost 39lbs, from 198 and size 16 to 159 and size 10. And man alive, it has not been steady or predictable in the least! The title upon which I have bestowed myself is Queen of Stalls. The scale, she taunts me.

But (when not a host for some sort of cold virus like I am right now) I feel mentally and physically so much better, my stuttering snail's pace weight loss - especially since the time in has paid off - no longer worries me.

Last time I was this weight and size was 10 years ago, via traditional CICO in roughly half the time. Youthful metabolisms are wasted on the young. My current (still initial) goal is 10 lbs or so more, it would tickle me to no end to roll the clock back to my weight when I was 35.

I have no answers, no magic bullet advice. I just really believe in the science behind this WOE, for long term health and wellness. Eating this way is remaking my metabolism, man, that's worth giving it a bit of time.

And when like now the pounds refuse to shake loose, I remind myself to
    - make rest and sleep a priority
    - don't just begrudge but also celebrate other changes (inches gone, softer skin from all that tasty fat!)
    - experiment, try other new things
    - enjoy everything I eat :smile:

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Welcome oyadancing and thank you for posting about your experiences. It sounds as if you're contented to 'tick along' and I think that's the best we can do at our age. And I love your positive attitude of accepting the bonuses of this WOE rather than only moaning about the scale's numbers.

I've been large to some degree or another since age 11 and was at my absolute largest around age 30.

But now I'm going to heed your advice and go to bed ;)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies. I thought I might jump in to this group. I've been on the Keto group for quite a while. I'm 55, 5'1 and weight around 138. When I started I weighed 190. That was 2 1/2 yrs ago. I have not lost any weight in the past year and a half. Try as I might. I've changed my macros, my calorie goal, every thing I can think of, to no avail. I do strength training 3 times a week. I no I've gained muscle but can't seem to get my bf% down. No current health issues. I used to have high blood pressure but that's gone with the weight loss. I only want to lose another 10-15 pounds but they just won't go. I just decided that for the next 2 weeks, I'm not going to weight, measure or log my food. I'm just going to eat as usual and not obsess about it. (I hope lol) oh, my macros have been 5, 20, 75 and calorie goal has been 1300.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hi dldoddy and welcome to this thread. Your story is really inspiring, thank you so much for sharing. And maybe you have 10-15 lbs more muscle than most and are already at your perfect weight? (Gosh that's hard to imagine lol)

Do you feel happy and comfortable at the weight you are now?

It's so wonderful to know that you've kept the weight off long-term too.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone -- I am 53 years old, 5 foot 1 and weighed 200 pounds last May. Since then i have lost 36 pounds. i switched to low carb at the beginning of this year and have lost 12 pounds so far. i increased my cardio at the same time, and the combination really works for me.

my biggest challenge is night time snacking. i have no problem being good as gold during the day, but if i have trouble sleeping, i can be out of control. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Hi Cathy, Most times I am not hungry after dinner. I do have some planned things I can quickly fix up that satisfy me and do not add to much to the carb factor. Pork skins work for me. Some times with a bit of cream cheese on them. Last night I mixed a bit of peanut butter with some flax seed,mostly because I forgot to get my flax seed in earlier. I added a tiny bit of liquid Stevia and it was very good. Kind of like an instant fat bomb.

Maybe you need to eat a little bit more fat in your day or dinner.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone -- I am 53 years old, 5 foot 1 and weighed 200 pounds last May. Since then i have lost 36 pounds. i switched to low carb at the beginning of this year and have lost 12 pounds so far. i increased my cardio at the same time, and the combination really works for me.

my biggest challenge is night time snacking. i have no problem being good as gold during the day, but if i have trouble sleeping, i can be out of control. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Echo the idea of adding more fat at dinner.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    dldoddy..your body may be telling you that you have 'unpeeled' down to the real you, and less is gonna be a fight! can you be happy as you are if true?

Cathy87765446124152( :p i'm teasing you)-- why not make 'fat bomb' Ketosafe candy as a snack? I have 2 late night treats: 1. like the best hot coco mom gave us to sleep. 2. Cocoa & PB hard fudge a "heat-chill-eat" quick no carb treat. I keep a small pre-made bag in fridge for absolute Keto satisfaction!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Welcome Cathy. Congratulations on your wonderful weight losses, that's fantastic work! I agree with what the others have said and my only other thought is whether you need a magnesium supplement, in which case you can take it a little before bedtime and it really helps you to sleep.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@cathy120861‌ I also recommend the fat bomb after dinner or before bed choice. Someone posted on FB about a chocolate mint "log" that I was thinking about making an Andes' Mint version of fat bombs for "after dinner mints." Only thing to be careful of, mint, particularly peppermint, can cause the flap that closes between your throat and stomach to remain open, actually worsening heartburn/acid reflux for some. For others, peppermint can soothe all of the muscles involved. Just a word for thought.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    WOW very interesting Knit. I did not know this about the mint but always had worse indigestion after eating mint. Must be true.

Slight update on how this WOE is going for me. I have decided allowing the fiber carbs in my day to help me stay regular seems to be helping my weight to ever so slowly go down. I started using it February 18th. So far I have not had a bounce of more than a few tenths of a pound a day since I started doing the fiber. I am no longer constipated and my tummy no longer hurts. I think this is a good thing and will continue on this way unless it appears to stop working. I am counting full carbs not net but I feel the added 4 carbs for this fiber is totally worth it. I have heard others talk of constipation is why I even brought this up.
  • GrannyMayOz
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Knit I did not know that about mint, thank you. I was a shocker for acid reflux and was regularly dosing (with bicarbonate of soda in water) around 3 times a day at worse. It took a long time on LCHF to go away and I actually hadn't noticed but it's now been several weeks since I last had it.

@Shades I'm so very pleased for you that you've found your 'right answer'. Sounds as if those extra carbs are definitely worth it and if you feel great *and* your weight is going down faster than before... well it's a no contest isn't it?

For me; since 19th Feb I reduced my daily calorie goal to 1450 instead of 1600, with adjustments to my macros obviously, and it seems to be working a treat. One of the adjustments was Carbs to under 15 instead of under 20. My weight had begun to creep down very, very slowly - which was far better than it had been doing! Then on the weekend I ended up having a 24 hour fast between 7pm Saturday and 7pm Sunday - not through planning or desire, I was unwell and the last thing I felt like was food. However, I dropped 700 grams Monday morning and only regained 100 grams Tuesday. That 100 grams disappeared again Wednesday morning. So I'm actually really happy about the accidental fasting. I also got a thorough blood test done which shows that all of my 'bloods' are normal, including magnesium and potassium, so that's great!

It did say I have 'slight poikilocytosis', which google tells me is slightly mis-shaped red blood cells. Does anyone know if LCHF will be curing this? I suppose I should put my question on the main LCD board really.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    I do not have your answer on the poikilocytosis. Hoping your doctor will address this.

Yes my slight adjustments to my WOE seems to be the key, finally. I am down another pound today and it has gone off slowly but no more bouncing way back up. Is is a continued downward trend. The false loss when I just HAD to take the laxative because I felt so plugged up, and was, could not have been good for me. I am eating until I feel satisfied. I am eating the veggies I was missing so much. I am not forcing added fat just to get my fat up. My calories are a bit lower but I am not feeling any hunger.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone,

I'm not 50 yet but seem to be sliding that way much faster than I would like. Hope y'all don't mind if I join in.

I have only been doing the hflc thing for a few weeks and just this week started on a fat fast. My doc is a doll and tries very hard to do natural before drugs so I'm going with it. I have Hashimoto's due to head trauma, type II diabeties, and I'm currently dealing with some skin cancer issues that should be resolved within the next few weeks (surgery & radiation).

I love this site, love the group, and really love this sub group!! Everyone is truly supportive and tries to help without putting people down.

Thanks everyone!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Shades that's fantastic to hear and I'm so excited for you that you have everything so well sorted out now. You deserve some happy progress and peace!

@RATSMITH69 Welcome. You're very welcome here. I am sooo jealous of your doctor. I hope one day to have one of my own. I dream of a doctor that cares to listen and then cares to indulge in alternative, sensible healthy fixes rather than prescriptions. Please post any time you wish, you are amongst friends here and I truly hope that all of your issues will reduce of heal in the very near future.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Welcome Ratsmith69,

Just heading out to the dentist then doctor for hubby. Wish us luck. Praying for clear CAT scan and blood work results. Just wanted to say Hi. I have also worked with skin cancer. Last go round was the Flouracil (spelling?) cream. Same chemo they pumped into me hubby YIKES.It was not as effective as I had hoped. Tomorrow is my doctor day and we will see what he decided to do about the most stubborn spots. I think I will just go back to my trusty black salve and take care of it myself. Good luck with your surgery and radiation.