Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh Lesley :( I had to search through all the sour cream yesterday to find the *one* brand that was full fat. I feel your pain. Reading about the huge variety of products the Americans seem to have at their disposal makes us seem quite backwards doesn't it? I suppose Sydney and Melbourne would have what we want but that would add to the cost, and time, of a shopping trip rather ;)

Sugar is in everything. I even read recently of someone noticing on their salt packet that there was sugar in that! I did read someone on this forum saying that they spread their (vegemite wannabe) just straight on a piece of cheese. I think they buttered it too. That's always an option, and no 'cooking' skills required B)

Might you be able to find the 70% cocoa chocolate along with the Cadburys stuff in the lolly aisle? I was using 72% Whittakers Dark Ghana when I was doing the Jonathan Bailor 'Sane' style of eating last year. That's still 33g per 100 sugar though. I have heard of a 90% chocolate that I've never seen, and there are sugar free diabetic versions too, but I haven't looked into what atrocities are in that LOL

Whinge away. I think I've set the target for that recently, though I'm trying hard to change my ways ROFL
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Can you buy Lindt chocolate in Australia or Green & Blacks, they both do 70% cocoa +
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Check out Ditto Dan's chocolate covered strawberries recipe! looks easy and tasty.
  • LesleyJDee
    LesleyJDee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks GrannyM - just wondering why did you give up Bailor? I just found him and thought he was okay. Should I be wary?

Lindt yes - we have that, thanks @RisiM . It didn't really occur to me to look in the confectionary section, (that aisle is one I'm trying to avoid) I stuck with the cooking stuff.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    No, no, Bailor is not a problem at all. I took him at his word of eating all the vegetables you can cram in, having a good sized portion of protein, and was making all of his associate chef's sweet creations for dessert and snacks though, so *for me* it didn't work. I ate too much, and that was not his fault at all. I was also an addictive sweet tooth so the desserts just helped me to stray off and eat 'normal' sweet things as well. Totally not anything wrong with his teachings, it just wasn't radical enough to turn me around.

I'm an 'all or nothing' gal so when I continued reading more about LCHF and found keto, well I had to do keto >:)

If you do want his associated recipe site it's marmaladeandmileposts.com/ Interestingly, Carrie Brown was born not far from the same place as myself in England, and she has lived here in Perth as well, before moving to America. She sounds fairly similar to me, which makes me cringe because I hate my voice LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RATSMITH69 Wow that’s a lot of moving around. I don’t understand the American words freshman/sophomore etc but I guess it’s young. I got married when I was 18. 40 happy years ago.

@GrannyMayOz

Freshman/Sophomore here in the US applies to either high school (secondary school) or college (university). For the former (secondary), it is grades 9 and 10 respectively (out of 12 total - I think that's the same most places). For the latter (Uni), it is the first and second year. Sorry I looked back a couple pages and couldn't find the original reference.

These terms are also casually used as "introductory terms" for any sport or new position (work, volunteer, etc.). Someone's "freshman" year/term is generally the start of their work, whereas someone's "sophomore" year/term is past the basics, but not in advanced stages yet. American English can be quite confusing for those who use terms more literally (instead of to mean a half dozen different things!)...

Hope this helps.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I find that my ketosis numbers change during the day, and are lower after food, higher in the evening. I have found that eating too much protein at once - even when in my ratio -
    - will throw me into low ketosis numbers. Also, your body has ways to tell you it has lost...
    do you feel some burn in your thighs, or your arms....? I only weigh myself when I have these cues. Every day weigh ins does not recognize that the body will hold fat and then release it on its own time....has nothing to do with being a regular machine! Hope this helps!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    It helps quite a bit Knit, but what ages (usually) are they? We start school the year you turn 6 (though there's kindy and pre-primary before that for those who wish). You start primary school in Year One and go to Year Six. After that you go to high school and do Years Seven to Twelve. That has most students getting their driving license during Year Twelve, age 17. There have been recent changes to the driving license structure (it takes longer to pass your test with log book hours required now) but I think I'm still right in that. We don't have nicknames for any school year ;) Well, sometimes Year Six and Year Twelve can be called 'leavers' but we far more often use the year number.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hello LCHFers, Just found this group and have a question. I started eating macros 5/20/75 on March 1. That gives me 18-20 carbs/day. I had dropped wheat and most sugar from my diet 3 years ago but had no weight loss. Incredible. Anyway, I recently read Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat and jumped on board. Here's my question: Do I have to get in the entire amount of macros, or can I just eat until I'm satisfied and be done with it? I have no problem eating the <20 carbs, but struggle with getting all the mgs of fat and protein in every day. Is following macros really important, or can I just keep at or below the carb amt and not worry about counting fat and protein. Thanks for your help. :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Hi wheatlessgirl :) I'm a very long way from an expert. I only discovered LCHF on 23rd January this year, so I can only give you my opinion based on what I've read and experienced since then.

I think as long as you are eating a balance of fat and protein - not over-doing the protein (you obviously aren't!) - and not under-doing the calories then you are probably doing the right thing.

However, if you want weight loss and haven't had any at all, you may want to look into things more deeply. Have you been logging your food so one or more of us can have a look at your diary? If you were already wheat- and sugar-free, perhaps your body has reached its happy place and you have nothing to lose?

If you're older, as most of us in this thread are, then your weight and you might be really good friends and not so keen to part with one another. Concensus is that it's harder after menopause, or with PCOS.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Thanks, GrannyMayOz---Yes, I'm 68. Can't say I'm really good friends with my weight :s but I realize it may not go down very much. I've lost 4.8 lbs since starting LCHF, and am happy about that. My CW is 224.6, so for my health I really need to lose. I wasn't totally sugar free before, so dropping it all the way may help. I log my food and you're welcome to take a peek and give feedback. The balance of protein and fat is what seems hard for me, and sometimes my calories are probably a little low. But than, I have so much fat stored up does that really matter? It's not like my body has to look for something to burn....
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    No worries. I sent you a friend request so that I can view your diary. Bearing in mind it's 11:35pm for me so it may get done tomorrow ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks, GrannyMayOz---Yes, I'm 68. Can't say I'm really good friends with my weight :s but I realize it may not go down very much. I've lost 4.8 lbs since starting LCHF, and am happy about that. My CW is 224.6, so for my health I really need to lose. I wasn't totally sugar free before, so dropping it all the way may help. I log my food and you're welcome to take a peek and give feedback. The balance of protein and fat is what seems hard for me, and sometimes my calories are probably a little low. But than, I have so much fat stored up does that really matter? It's not like my body has to look for something to burn....

@wheatlessgirl66‌

You need to eat below your carb level, which it seems you are easily doing. You need to aim for enough protein to maintain your muscles/lean body mass. If you know what your body fat percentage is, this is easy enough to calculate. if not, there are ways to guess it. Mine at last count was about 48%. According to my recent losses, it should be closer now to 46%. That means my LBM is 54%. 54% of my approximately 250 pounds is 135 pounds. to maintain that, I need to eat 0.6 g/lb - 1.0 g/lb depending on my exercise needs (less for low activity/muscle levels, more for lifting weights and such). I usually use the lower number... That's 81 grams of protein I should aim for in a day. I don't want to go much over or under. After staying under carbs and targeting protein, fill the rest of your food with fats to satiety. The fat % is not as critical as the other two numbers. I hope this helps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It helps quite a bit Knit, but what ages (usually) are they? We start school the year you turn 6 (though there's kindy and pre-primary before that for those who wish). You start primary school in Year One and go to Year Six. After that you go to high school and do Years Seven to Twelve. That has most students getting their driving license during Year Twelve, age 17. There have been recent changes to the driving license structure (it takes longer to pass your test with log book hours required now) but I think I'm still right in that. We don't have nicknames for any school year ;) Well, sometimes Year Six and Year Twelve can be called 'leavers' but we far more often use the year number.

Mostly in the US, Year 12 (Senior) is 17-18, Year 11 (Junior) is 16-17, Year 10 (Sophomore) is 15-16, so Year 9 (Freshman) is 14-15. (No idea where this originated. In college/uni, it is based on the number of course hours rather than age).

Other nicknames are far more simple - Kindergarten is before your year 1. Year 1 is "First Grade," Year 2 is "Second Grade," and so on and so forth.

School-aged children start Kindergarten (pre year 1) at at 5 (minimum) to 6. First Grade (Year 1) would then be 6-7, etc. I have a late summer birthday, so I was 5 starting school and 17 graduating. There is a September cut-off for age to start school Most of my classmates were older than me, though by less than a full year. In most US starts, there is Pre-K/Head Start that can start at age 4 and 3 respectively, but "traditional" school is Kindergarten, starting at age 5...

And much like all manner of silly things in the US, schools can be different wherever they are. Primary School (called Elementary here) is typically Kindergarten all the way through grades 4-6, depending on school. Some places have a middle school, which can be grades 5-8. Other places are Junior High School, which can be grades 6-9. High School (your secondary) can start as low as grade 9 through grade 12. (some are 9-12, some are 10-12). A lot depends on how small or large of an area you live in (has to do with need for class sizes, age maturity, total school capacity, other factors)...

The town I live in, when we first moved here had one school that was Kindergarten and Year one only - to keep the youngest kids away from being bullied and whatnot. Then there were three schools that had grades 2-5, one school with grades 6-8, one school with grades 9-12. Now, they've redone that. We have one school with K-4, one school with 5-6, one school with 7-8, and one school with 9-12 - and the year 9 students classes are completely separate from the rest of the school (excepting gifted/talented and/or honors classes and things like band, choir, etc.).

As for driving - I think, but would not swear to the fact that you can still get a learning permit to drive at 15, a license at 16, restrictions removed fully by 18, I think. They've changed so much since I had to worry about all that.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Thank you, KnitOrMiss! Very helpful. I went to a site that figured my macros for me per BMI, so it should be correct. I've been getting protein in, but not always all fat. But I figured as long as I don't try to eat low fat, i.e., eat the skin, etc. I'll be pretty close. I don't mind counting carbs, but sometimes trying to log the ingredients in my home-cooked meals is a pain.

GrannyMayOz, sounds like you better call it a day! Tomorrow is fine. Have a good, restful sleep.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Knit - thanks for that, I think I'm the full bottle now (as they say). At least Australia is uniform across the whole country now LOL

@wheatlessgirl - I just went to look but your diary is still not visible, it must be locked down as totally private.

And yes, my husband is home from work now (he finished at 1am) so we're off to bed very shortly.
  • LesleyJDee
    LesleyJDee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Woot - look what I found today :D
    - ulhv6frzh2ja.jpg
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Ha ha. Victory!!!! Well done Lesley!
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LesleyJDee wrote: »
    Woot - look what I found today :D
    - ulhv6frzh2ja.jpg

I have been buying this at my ALDI store if this helps anyone looking! :)
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli also makes some great dark chocs