TheBigDirection

Options
I was always a big guy, and it was almost always because of emotional eating. I would eat because I was depressed, then I'd fall deeper into depression as I gained more weight and would eat to cope with it. I was stuck in a cycle that I couldn't break out of.

Here's a little history:

In 2003, I moved to Vancouver WA and didn't really fit into a group during my final two years in high school. I was pretty lonely and ended up eating a lot.

In 2004 I graduated and started working in a security job. At first it was pretty cool, I learned quickly and was promoted to being in charge of the Midnight shift. I was pretty much in charge of showing any new guys around and teaching them what to do. Some guys that were in their 40-50's didn't like me being in charge. At first they were condescending to me, but when they realized it wouldn't affect me they started to become a bit more harsh. I couldn't understand why people from the main security office kept coming out to "look around" almost on a daily basis. It turns out that the older guys kept submitting complaints about me and they were investigating. The work environment got so hostile, that I ended up leaving. It turns out they had submitted over 200 complaints about me. All of which were very minor, like "Left the office air conditioner on when he left" or "He wasn't wearing his uniform neck-tie at the end of his shift". It was ridiculous.

In late 2005 I started working as a student trainee and going to school for a civil engineering degree. I was excited/scared at first. I was going to school full time and working full time. My boss started to give me more and more duties as other employees either quit or passed away. We were definitely understaffed. Stress started setting in. Sometimes I would skip class and eat at a local fast food restaurant and hide out in my truck. Over time my grades got worse and I ended up dropping from class. The boss was upset and threatened to fire me over it, and for not completing my office duties in a timely manner. I got so stressed that at one point I was hyperventilating and on the verge of tears (which has never happened before). I ended up quitting in 2010.

During all this time, I had a couple of friends, both of whom were pretty big guys, and they liked to go out and eat all the time. I blew most of my money just to be able to hang out with em. I was broke and the bills were piling up. So I ate to deal with the stress.

In 2010 my mom was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (cancer in the bone marrow). She fought it for almost a year. My father and I did our best to take care of her, but it was hard watching someone you love so much, slowly wasting away. She died in the summer of 2011.

In 2013, a day after my birthday, my grandpa (from my fathers side) passed away. I looked up to him so much. He was the reason I have an interest in film and why I started making videos, because he went to film school and was the director of many instructional videos for the Army. He was such a cool guy, and now he's gone.

In 2014 my grandma (also from my fathers side) passed away. It surprised everyone because she was so strong. Everyone made the joke that she would outlive us all. But then, one day she just started to sleep all the time and refused to eat and drink. She died shortly after.

In 2014 my other grandpa (from my mothers side) had a heart attack and passed away. He was so nice to me when I was little. I remember he carved a wooden fishing ship model for me. It was so detailed. Sadly I don't have it anymore.

So yeah, over all these years I've had to deal with depression, stress, anger....

It wasn't always horrible, but really, the past several years have been a blur for me. Nothing was accomplished. I didn't finish school, I don't have money or a job, I'm morbidly obese, and I'm in debt.

I attempted Nutrisystem in 2014 and saw some progress. But then I started to feel depressed and angry all the time. I ended up falling off the diet and gaining back all the weight I lost and little extra too.

I was angry about falling off the diet, because my father did so much to support me. He really believed I could do it. He wouldn't say it, but I know it was a huge disappointment, I could see it in his face.

I don't know what my current weight is, but I do know it's over 541 pounds because I'm the biggest I've ever been in my life. It's gotten to the point where I struggled to get out of bed. I was worried because I literally struggled to stay awake during the day, and it wasn't because of bad sleep.

But then I was granted a second chance. My dad's brother and his family offered to let me live with them for a bit. They want to help me with my weight loss. They want to offer an environment that will help me stay focused on bettering myself. I'm back on it again. I'm doing the Nutrisystem diet and going strong. As I write this I've been on the diet now for over two weeks.

I'm giving it my all to get my life back on track. I'm doing Nutrisystem, I'm starting to work out, I do whatever work around the house that I can.

My wish is that I get physically fit, have a decent job, get out of debt, am able to go to college and get a degree in Digital Cinematography (I want to go to Full Sail University) and really live my life how I want to live it. I would love to be a source of inspiration to those that struggle with their weight. I just need to focus on myself for now.

Anyways, I have a Youtube channel called 'TheBigDirection'

It's a vlog (Video Blog) channel documenting myself as I strive to improve. It's really a way to keep honest with myself and my viewers.

I'd really appreciate any support I can get. It'd be awesome if all of you could check out my channel, leave a comment, perhaps some advice on ways to improve?

I know I can't do this alone, but with your help I know I can succeed.

Thanks!

-Ricky

Replies

• TheBigDirection
    TheBigDirection Posts: 265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • khaki329
    khaki329 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So glad to see you here and working the plan.
    I've always enjoyed your very well made videos.

Have you been able to find somewhere that has a scale that you can get your current weight? That sure would help if you could see the documented evidence that all your hard work is paying off. What about using 2 regular scales and standing with one foot on each and then adding the total? That might give you a good ballpark figure.

Anyway, keep up the good work and feel free to message me if you have any questions on NS.

Enjoy the journey.
  • linna62
    linna62 Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Ricky you are so going to get this done! We are all here cheering you on. You've got us kiddo!
  • TheBigDirection
    Options
    khaki329 wrote: »

Have you been able to find somewhere that has a scale that you can get your current weight? That sure would help if you could see the documented evidence that all your hard work is paying off. What about using 2 regular scales and standing with one foot on each and then adding the total? That might give you a good ballpark figure.

Anyway, keep up the good work and feel free to message me if you have any questions on NS.

Enjoy the journey.

I finally got a scale about 3 days ago!

linna62 wrote: »
    Ricky you are so going to get this done! We are all here cheering you on. You've got us kiddo!

Thank you!
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    Go, Ricky! Yay, you're doing great....keep it up. :D
  • khaki329
    Options
    So glad you got a scale. If daily fluctuations affect your mood, then only weight weekly.

It sounds like you are in a really good place (mentally and physically). You have the tools.

You are doing this!!
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

Enjoy the journey.

Hi
    is that You Kathy from over on the NS Forums?
    Cheers
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

Enjoy the journey.

I finally got a scale about 3 days ago!

linna62 wrote: »

Thank you!

Hi
    I found that having a good scale was an important tool for me, Congratulations on You purchase.
    Good Luck
    Roger
  • khaki329
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Enjoy the journey.

Hi
    Cheers
    Roger

Yes, it's me!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Enjoy the journey.

Hi
    Cheers
    Roger

Yes, it's me!

Hi Kathy
    Thank You for the answer
    Have a Great Day
    Roger
  • mrbodance
    mrbodance Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Ricky
    I said it over on the NS forums and I'll say it here... I think you're awesome!!!

Picture1_zpsumdu4laa.png61Kd6gpIIL__SX522__zpswemuctbc.jpg1DT3rOc

• ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ricky it is so good to see you over here. It looks like the move down south has really been very beneficial for you. The garden is beginning to grow nicely. Wow your walking laps around a big yard. Good for you. I wish my back would allow me to walk. I am so glad you were finally able to get a scale. That looks like a nice one. What is the weight increments as I am getting real tired of the1 pound increments with that Selective one I told you about. I bought a scale Health o meter that was suppose to weigh up to 440 and when I stepped on it I got a big red E even though I weigh almost 90 pounds less. Let me know the results of the accuracy with yours. What I mean is when I get on some of the scales they shake back and forth as much as 3 to 4 numbers. I hope yours is steady. If it is an has increments other than 1 pound I may get it. Was it expensive? Keep going strong and we are here for you.
    z55387af06aeb6.gif 16077007.png
  • TheBigDirection
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mrbodance wrote: »
    Ricky
    I said it over on the NS forums and I'll say it here... I think you're awesome!!!

Thank you!
    ssflbelle wrote: »
    Ricky it is so good to see you over here. It looks like the move down south has really been very beneficial for you. The garden is beginning to grow nicely. Wow your walking laps around a big yard. Good for you. I wish my back would allow me to walk. I am so glad you were finally able to get a scale. That looks like a nice one. What is the weight increments as I am getting real tired of the1 pound increments with that Selective one I told you about. I bought a scale Health o meter that was suppose to weigh up to 440 and when I stepped on it I got a big red E even though I weigh almost 90 pounds less. Let me know the results of the accuracy with yours. What I mean is when I get on some of the scales they shake back and forth as much as 3 to 4 numbers. I hope yours is steady. If it is an has increments other than 1 pound I may get it. Was it expensive? Keep going strong and we are here for you.

For some reason, the scale numbers jump around when the volume is off, but when on it shows my weight quickly. I know it's accurate because it matched up with the scale at the doctors office when I went yesterday (video about that on Monday).

It displays the fraction of the whole number too. Like yesterday I lost a little over a pound, but I just rounded it down to a whole pound to make it easier.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For some reason, the scale numbers jump around when the volume is off, but when on it shows my weight quickly. I know it's accurate because it matched up with the scale at the doctors office when I went yesterday (video about that on Monday).

It displays the fraction of the whole number too. Like yesterday I lost a little over a pound, but I just rounded it down to a whole pound to make it easier.

Not sure I understand! So what does it display in 1/4, 1/2 3/4 or like 150.2 etc By the way did you read the reviews before you purchased it. I just did and based on those reviews I do not think I will order this one. I will just keep looking. So no need to answer to question. I hope it works for you longer than it did for the people that reviewed it.
  • mrbodance
    mrbodance Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just saying hello to all!
  • TheBigDirection
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ssflbelle wrote: »
    Not sure I understand! So what does it display in 1/4, 1/2 3/4 or like 150.2 etc By the way did you read the reviews before you purchased it. I just did and based on those reviews I do not think I will order this one. I will just keep looking. So no need to answer to question. I hope it works for you longer than it did for the people that reviewed it.

Sorry! It shows the decimal like the 150.2

It's not a bad scale. it have a 4 star rating out of 5 based on 450 user reviews on Amazon.
    mrbodance wrote: »
    Just saying hello to all!

Hey there! :smile:
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hello Ricky. I'm Flo. Been at NS 3 weeks tomorrow. You are an inspiration. You made me smile. My scale just came in today, too. Not as fancy as yours, but a good one none the less. Great seeing everyone from over there. I'm finding a home at MFP.
  • TheBigDirection
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well i gone and done it...

• TheBigDirection
    Options
    Hello Ricky. I'm Flo. Been at NS 3 weeks tomorrow. You are an inspiration. You made me smile. My scale just came in today, too. Not as fancy as yours, but a good one none the less. Great seeing everyone from over there. I'm finding a home at MFP.

Hey Flo! I'm so happy that my videos were able to make you smile, that means a lot to me!

Good luck with your weightloss journey! Go strong!
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot.