Love the idea of my new diet being "eat more"

Options

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Keep testing that TDEE, even when you think it can't possilby be right, having to go higher again. Mine ended up 400 calories more than all the calculators said. MFP and every other website calculator thing freak out when I put in my daily calorie consumption. MFP is my favourite - you know that little notice that comes up whenever you click to finish your day...mine always says "If you keep eating that this level, you will weigh 1.5kg more in 5 weeks time." Your trackers and charts might end up the same, telling you you are eating too much when in fact you are not, you're fuelling.

It really is bizarre how we can look around a room and physically see that every person is different in at least 100 ways, yet we seem to think that we can plug 5 general numbers into a calculator and be given the magic calorie number for a person to eat - and think it must be accurate!

When the scale does not move for a few weeks at a level - you have to push it again. Lol - to think 400 used to be a whole meal for me when I was dieting and now it's a little snack on the side :)

It is great to hear you have so much more energy in your workouts, and wanting to push to find your true TDEE. Keep going!
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. And yes 400 used to be a meal for me too!
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    So in the past two weeks I have gained no actual weight (plenty of bouncing around!) my weight today was 0.1 pounds less than it was on Friday Feb 24. Going to go up 100 cals this week and see what happens. Heartburn has been an issue - but that may have been too much chocolate and coffee. the constantly stuffed feeling has subsided for the most part. though I still get overly full some meals.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Naturalnut wrote: »
    So in the past two weeks I have gained no actual weight (plenty of bouncing around!) my weight today was 0.1 pounds less than it was on Friday Feb 24. Going to go up 100 cals this week and see what happens. Heartburn has been an issue - but that may have been too much chocolate and coffee. the constantly stuffed feeling has subsided for the most part. though I still get overly full some meals.

Awesome! Progressing along nicely!
    Thanks for the update.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    So I have determined that it is probably my morning coffee giving me heartburn :( I didn't have it fri-sat-sun and no heartburn, back to work today with my coffee and heartburn! Might have to start having it with lunch... I did have lunch coffee on two of those days.

Then again it might just be the K-Cup coffee - since the coffee I had this weekend was brew Circle K coffee.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post to say hi and that I'm loving your journey!
  • kcmsmith0405
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ok so after a few weeks of doing this I see that my fitbit is 100-200 lower than my actual TDEE. Does anyone know if there is a way to up this setting in the app? Not really necessary I would just like to see on target instead of over budget (hehe).
    @heybales I did discover that the MFP calculations are closer than what fitbit says at the end of the day once I bump up to the level above sedentary. I don't really ever sit and watch TV at night - all my siting is during the day at work. If I am not working I am actually pretty active.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Redid the EM2WL Calculator and so far I think it is the closest - it puts me at almost 2500 cal per day TDEE - but that is really close to the average of what I have been eating (and not gaining) lately. Fitbit thinks I should be at about 2350 to maintain, but its really a 5% cut. Oh well guess I have to just keep looking at MFP to see I am on track and not at the Fitbit app :). Well that and trendweight.com - which I am loving.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No way to increase the Fitbit daily burn that precisely.

You could increase your walking stride length so it thinks more distance covered during the day, and therefore more calorie burn.

And in theory you could backtrack from current stats to see what that change may need to be.
    Let me know if interested to attempt that.

Need average daily steps, preferably on non-workout days, just standard busy days.
    And distance.
    And calories for those days.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes all the calculators etc are just a guide in the end. It's great that you are taking your time and pushing and gauging your TDEE for yourself.
    I found that Fitbit under estimates my TDEE by about 300 calories, most days.
    Don't you love eating more? So much more room to get in the nutrient dense food plus all your favourites too. Win win!
    What positive side effects of eating more are you seeing so far?
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Week 3 check in
    Goal: finding my True TDEE
    avg TDEE according to fit bit: 2350
    Avg Calories eaten: 2650 (wow higher than I thought) No day under 2350
    Weight: 196.8 ( Down 0.2 lb since starting)

Last week (Wed- Sun) I was more active than usual due to a power outage, so I ate to reflect that, my original goal was 2350 per day, but fitbit keep adding calories to my day so I ate them.

This week fitbit is telling me to eat a lot less. I am going to ignore fitbit and adjust up to 2450 per day plus adding in any for days that I go way over my usual activity (Sat I have a karate tournament so I plan I eating a lot that day).

It's pretty evident that 2350 is not my TDEE. I was thinking maybe if I tell fitbit I am a man it will get closer to my actual TDEE?

So far so good...!

Kelly
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Silly question, maybe, but does it matter? As long as you know how much FitBit is off by, just factor that into your calorie goal. If it's low by 250 cals/day, tell MFP that you want to gain 0.5 pounds/week when you want to maintain. Tell it you want to maintain when you want to lose 0.5 pounds/week. Or just set a manual calorie goal.

I completely understand the desire to have accurate numbers but, as long as you know the "fudge factor", you can make the numbers accurate yourself.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Not a silly question :) It actually doesn't matter, I have been eating and adjusting up as needed. I just am a bit OCD and want to see my fitbit app say I am in the zone hehehe. I never though of setting it to gain - I will have to do that!
    I do know the fudge factor and I do adjust up and down based on my activity levels. I just want all my apps to be pretty and match! HAHA
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    I figured out the fitbit thing - I had to set it to maintain and not deficit. Its actually tell me 2500 per day now food wise to maintain. I figure that is pretty darn close. It still underestimates my calories burned, but it now says :in the zone" for food so I am happy lol.
  • heybales
    Options
    Gender change isn't way to do it - bigger than needed change.

You can change your height to cause the difference too.

This can all be calculated backwards if desired to have the device pretty close. This could be because of more LBM than expected by normal BMR calc.
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh - that one fuel gauge view?

Most have removed that as it is usually useless until the end of the day.
    Rarely does anyone's eating rate of calories match their burning rate as the day goes on.
    So for making a decision right then as to what to have for lunch perhaps - a planned day is a successful day.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    That's a good plan. Take that tile off my dashboard all together​. I also had to turn off negative adjustments in mfp it was knocking me down to 2100 or so a day. So I set my mfp goals to 2450 calories per day with exercise adjustments to increase only. I think that is getting me much closer. I am still up around 2600-2700 a day with no gain. I may have to go up more. I lost more this week but that may be water too. I will see how it goes this week and know by Thurs if I have to increase again.

I NEVER thought I would get this high without gaining.
  • heybales
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Your body may be getting unstressed from not undereating and losing water weight now.

Same way people will go weeks with no weight loss (but inches lost) and they are sure they are in a deficit eating.

Body is stressed by the extreme aspect, and can add upwards of 20 lbs of water.

1 lb weekly fat loss shown by measurements happening while 1 lb of water is slowly added - for 20 weeks.

Ya - talk about stress over diet now.

Congrats on getting higher.

If everyone starting a diet would just log their current eating style for a couple weeks before starting - to know how much they really burn about, many times without even the exercise included.

Then take 250 from that, and start exercising.

It could be so simple and easy. Most have no idea how much they were eating on average.