Love the idea of my new diet being "eat more"

Options

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Oh wow on starting the school!
    How awesome! And a real family affair too! Love it.
    And you are doing an amazing job with your cut too.
    What an incredible time for you.
    Good luck!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    About getting in protein: for breakfast I take a serving of kodiak pancake mix, 1 scoop quest vanilla powder, and 3/4cup water and make pancakes out of it. Throw a cup of fresh fruit on top and it is so good! Tons of protein and complex carbs and virtually no fat. I can whip it up in about 7-8 minutes.

I make creamer for my coffee with 2 cups of Carbmaster milk (lactose intolerance) and 1 scoop of vanilla protein. Lasts me about 3 days.

The rest of my protein I get from normal sources, eggs, chicken, etc. Sometimes I have a small protein bar between lunch and dinner. I was having trouble meeting my 30% protein goal until I incorporated these 3 things.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Weigh in results: Down about 3 lbs total over 3.5 weeks of 10% cut. Some may be water weight - but at the end of 6 weeks I will be able to pretty closely calculate my TDEE to go back to maintenance for a while.

On another note, I just discovered that for my Black Belt Test in February I need to:
    1) take a 6+ hour test of my Karate skills - Basics, Forms(13 different forms in total), Self Defense, On step sparring, free sparring, Bo-Staff forms (3).
    2) Then run one mile
    3) Then do 60 of each - push-ups, sit-ups, squats

I can probably do half of number 2 and 3 right now - but not after 6 hours of karate. I am going to need to beef up my stamina and strength in the next few months.

The last black belt test I took - I was 30 years old, in good shape (about 20 lbs lighter than I am now) and was exhausted and dehydrated after a test that was about 6 hours long. And back then I didn't have to do number 2 and 3. Now I am 50. This is going to take some serious work.

Any suggestions?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow - that sounds like massive requirement - I guess just not the moves down - but the endurance possibly needed for a long drag out fight!

Normally for endurance you don't have to actually do the event - at some point you cross a line that means you can do the longer stuff, it's merely a matter of fueling to reach it.
    And fueling starts well before that line - because body can only absorb so much so fast to make it useful - wait too long and the lag time makes it useless.

I'd suggest plan out the weeks and start doing jog/walk intervals for an amount of time after a training session to duplicate that, increasing that jog/walk as you get closer.
    Obviously the ability to duplicate the time at a much lower intensity doesn't work either - unless you have a Sat training day you could approach say 3 hrs (for marathon training, 3-3:30 hr long run is generally found to be the max benefit for endurance, more than that no extra benefit except perhaps mental, but easily negative of more injury prone).

So if the training is normally 1 hr - and see how long to do the bodyweight stuff normally when not tired, then figure out how much jog/walk time left to reach a total of 3.5 hrs.

Then start that jog/walk with wherever you are now for time doing it, and figure out where you want to start adding in time, remembering no more than 10% mileage or time increase weekly.

I'd also pick 2 other back-to-back days during the week - 1 day is training with some jog/walk, next day is rest of jog/walk (but longer) with bodyweight stuff.
    That way within 24 hrs you are getting closer to the time.

There are many tried and true methods to help endurance outside actually doing the endurance event itself in training.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    I HATE running, it just hurts too much, so my goal is to stop at running one mile. I have pretty decent arthritis in my right knee that will cause a lot of pain for running. Plus at 40 lbs overweight that will kill my other joints as well LOL. I think we have to do a 7 minute mile - but it may be 8 mins.

I have approximately 26 weeks until my test, and then I will need to stay in that shape because I will need to re-certify every 6 months.

So is this what you mean that looks like maybe?

weeks 1-2 (or however long it takes)
    At least 10/10/10 (sit-ups,push-ups, squats), probably more like do each to muscle fatigue/exhaustion then run jog/1 mile on treadmill, seeing how long a mile takes. And do this several times per week.

week 2-3
    At least 15/15/15 plus run/jog one mile trying to do it faster than last week.

As the weeks go on add this regimen after a karate class? then try to up the intensity of everything?

and so on until I am above and beyond what I need to do?

I will have the opportunity when I get closer to February to actually run through the (entire) test and then do the whole running and 60/60/60 thing, so I will be able to test it out. I guess I should plan to do that in December so that I have 2 months to up the intensity of my training if I fail miserably LOL. I will also be attending a black belt prep class that is a lot of calisthenics, that will probably start in December or early January.

I may go watch a full test this weekend to get a better idea of how much down time I will have during the 6 hours.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @kcmsmith0405 I got my black belt in tae kwon do 11 years ago, that was a lot of work! Did your instructor give you a countdown workout? I had 8 weeks of training I did that equated to about 3 intense hours of working out 6 days a week. The time flew by!
  • heybales
    Options
    Ya, fueling during the 6 hrs will be very important since it's nature will be high carb burn, exactly what you have limited supplies of and need right to the end with those exercises at the end.
    So testing out products and amounts that won't mess up your stomach through non-absorption, but max that can be to provide benefit later.

So forget the idea of jog/walk taking the place of time spent doing the karate.

Good idea to see what it looks like, to see what level of calisthenics can mimic it well enough.

I wouldn't necessarily try to get the jog/walk faster each week, though that probably does beat the idea of lengthening the jog portion - which will just be hard on joints. So will going faster though somewhat - but the form improvements from going faster, even for a little bit, can be very useful.
    And then during the actual test, can do more running at correct pace. Should be fit enough by then to handle a constant run - not required in training as it could just be mighty stressful.

Got a good plan.

The squats and situps will likely help form enough - whenever they start feeling easy - add more reps, even if more than required.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    @cinblog1965 no workout plan yet - I have a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do also from about 19 years ago. So I know what I am up against! I am still 6 months out - so I want to get in shape early to make it easier. I will have enough to worry about remembering everything I need to for the test itself, I don;t want to stress about the physical fitness test at the end.

@heybales Thank you! I will work on finding out what kind of high energy fuel I can tolerate, I know Gatorade will be on the menu plan for sure - just need to see what foods I can add too. Should I eat high (healthy) carb the night before?

I did find out that I have 10 minutes to run the mile and I did it in 15 on the treadmill yesterday without being exhausted. Of course I didn't do much else, just wanted to get my starting point LOL.
  • heybales
    Options
    The week before should be no deficit, that will top off carb stores as best they can get.

The night before carb method popularized by runners is useless (unless they are in diet week prior) because the protocol to actually benefit includes a week of running carbs stores massively low then piling them on for an over-compensation effect.

Only pro's are doing it right, or few others.

Great news on mile - so training with jog/walk routine to save the joints can still help. Just gotta do the run part at better than 10 min/mile.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Check in time

Week 4 of a 6 week cut.
    TDEE: 2550
    Goal 2350 calories

Fitbit TDEE last week: 2514
    Average Cals per day: 2175 (right around 15% cut)

Other goals:
    Log everything - did it again - I think this may be a good habit I am forming.
    Protein 30% - actual 28% (weekends are killing me I need to fix the weekend protein)

Weight loss since start of cut: as of today 3, lbs - real weigh in is on Thursday.

Things are still going well, however as of yesterday I am exhausted for my workouts, so I am going to move my calories back up to maintenance slowly this week. I am still really hungry and wanting that morning snack back. NSV, when I am hungry I want stuff with protein in it. Carbs are not my go-to anymore - protein is.

I hit my 3 lb loss goal for this cut and feeling so tired and laggy I want to go back up to TDEE and feel good again for a bit before I cut again. I may end up as a 4 week cut/1-2 week maintenance kind of person.

Karate school ownership is moving right along - should be in and starting out the middle of next month. When that happens I am going to either quit or go part time at my desk job so my TDEE will be going up just from getting rid of the sitting all day (woohoo more food hehe).

Kelly
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So many things to love about this post!
    1. Your cut is going exactly as planned!
    2. You recognise your lack of energy and know you need to increase calories to fix it.
    3. Your protein macro is pretty neat spot on.
    4. You choose protein snacks when you're hungry.
    So much awesome!
    Keep it up lady! You are killing this!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Thank you Ichel :) I think I will end up being a 4 weeks cut, 1 week maintain kind of person. I know eating at TDEE this past week felt really good for working out and energy. So starting out today strong, but back to 10-15% cut for another 4 weeks.

Weekly Update:
    Maintenance week
    Average TDEE per fitbit: 2595
    Average Cals eaten: 2539
    Avg Protein: 25%

I loved eating at TDEE again, not looking forward to cutting, but I do need to reach that fat loss goal somehow! I had a low protein average from family parties on Sat and Sun. Back to 10% cut today so goal is 2300 and not lower than 2150 (15%) for the next 4 weeks. Weigh in is Thursday - lot of water gain over the weekend so not counting today's weigh in. :)

Finally started some weight training this week on top of my karate workouts as well - that felt good too! Doing some limited upper body work ( due to torn rotator cuff), abs, and lot of legs. Hoping the leg work will help improve my forms and stamina too.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    So a little over .5 week into four week cut number 2 and I am noticing how much harder my workouts are. I think it is because I had so much energy when eating at TDEE last week (it was great LOL), I notice a BIG difference with a 15% cut. When I work-out I am tired halfway through and really lacking energy.

Any suggestions? Or just push through and enjoy my TDEE weeks? LOL. One thing this tells me is that the month before my Black belt test I will be eating at TDEE...
  • heybales
    Options
    Good plan for the future test.

And yes, power through, don't try to increase weight during a cut unless it's just easier.

In fact, it's been found that you can maintain on 1/3 of what got you to current level, as long as intensity (weight) is not cut.
    So duration and frequency can be, and you can maintain your gains. So if 75 reps weekly got you there from 3 x 5 x 5, 25 can maintain, if that is 5x5 once weekly, there ya go.

So with that in mind - you dropping a set off everything so the things later in the routine are doable is perfectly fine and may become necessary.
    Or you may drop a set on the lifts that aren't as important, so you can keep full sets on what is. Perhaps like many lower body stuff done first wipes you out and you find upper suffering, but you want to keep progressing on upper lifts. So you drop a set on lower to do that.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    That helps! I can apply that to my martial arts workouts as well, as long as I can maintain worry about adding more when I am eating at TDEE.
  • mepeiffer
    mepeiffer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Looking for support and tired of yo-yoing I know I have lost my body weight in going up and down and need a group to keep me accountable. I also know I need to eat more to up my metabolism but also cut on after noon eating. Would this be a good group or do you ave a suggestion for a good one to join. I do have a Fitbit and access to Advocare and Melaleuca products.
  • heybales
    Options
    Good group to start with. Suggest you start a topic of your own you can keep updating, give some background and current/recent eating level, and workout levels. FAQ's in stickies give some good info.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @kcmsmith0405 maybe the 15% is too much to start with? If it's a gradual climb up, maybe use a more gradual climb down. At a 5 or 10% cut.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    I actually did 10% for my first cut and I keep it between 10 and 15 %, so its not a straight 15% cut.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Weekly report

I took Sat-Monday off for the holiday - had a wedding, birthday dinner for my daughter and labor day celebrations all in a row and I wanted to enjoy them. I did not pig out, but I did enjoy what ever I wanted and did not worry about logging.

So Mon-Fri report :)

Calorie goal: 2150
    Calories eaten: 2100
    Fitbit TDEE: 2400

Sat-Monday: Fitbit TDEE: 2600 Avg calories eaten - probably around 3000 per day

So that makes last week pretty much a TDEE wash :) I am ok with that I will restart he 4 week cut today.

Had a fantabulous weekend with friends and family so I am not worried, plus I was super active (can you say dancing all night on Sat) and felt great all weekend - never over stuffed etc. still managed to gain 3-4 lbs of water weight, that will hopefully be gone by my Thursday weigh in.

Overall I am happy with how things are going - I had a wonderful weekend and did not feel the need to binge, and I didn't overdo it on any of my favorite foods, plus I felt no guilt about not logging or what I was eating, knowing that my metabolism can handle one weekend of fun. It was a great change of pace for me.

I still get antsy and want to lose faster, but I remind myself that losing it slowly eating what I want and enjoying my workouts is worth crawling down the scale and clothing sizes as opposed to rocketing down then back up again.

Kelly