Love the idea of my new diet being "eat more"

Options

Replies

• cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @kcmsmith0405 I agree with the slow weightloss being worth it. While on and off Weight Watchers over the years, self starvation, I obsessed constantly about food and next meals. I hated eating out or with family. I made myself and my husband miserable. And my weight never stayed at goal because it's impossible to stay hungry all the time while surrounded by food and not eat! I feel so much better the last few weeks, mentally. I've got my TDEE down and now that the holidays are over, I have 1 more bump; I'll be out of town next week taking care of my father so it'll be a stressful week. Once that's over I'm ready to get serious about doing a cut for a few weeks.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Felling a bit stalled this week, however - I am not gaining, so that is always a bonus. I am struggling with a cold, and that always makes me want to just eat carbs, so getting in my protein is rough. Plus working out is harder than normal. I have weights/swimming scheduled for today - I may have to cancel that and just rest.

Up 1 pound over my last weigh in, but that is not noticeable or probably even valid given the illness this week.

Update on the Karate school - moving forward - will take possession Oct 1 or November 1st! The stress of this is probably contributing to my cold hehe, but its a good excited stress.

Kelly
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Weekly Update:
    This week was pretty much a bust. I think I need to be on the 6 weeks on 2 weeks off plan, 4 weeks was not enough time for me to see a noticeable result, and 1 week felt like a teaser at TDEE and I was not able to stay at cut after only one week off (way too much water weight fluctuation too).

Back to the week 1 of 6 cut starting today. Going to consider last week a TDEE rest week (though honestly it was more like a over-TDEE rest week).

Is it possible to be effective at keeping metabolism up to cut 6 days and eat at TDEE for one? I was thinking that was something that might work for me. Not sure it is enough of a break to count for keeping up metabolism though. I defer to the experts on this one!

Kelly
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Considering there was a study that was used as basis for 5 days extreme cut and 2 days straight eating whatever showing beneficial results - your 6 days reasonable and 1 day TDEE is probably useful too.

Now the study has people and their calorie burn measured out the whazoo for hitting it exactly right.
    The application of it in real life was interesting, people really went extreme on both sides, and usually never started the method with normal functioning metabolism and TDEE as the study did - they started it after extreme diet and hitting plateau.
    Result was usually fat gain since their TDEE was suppressed so much - wasn't hard to go over that on 2 days that wasn't enough for it to speed up.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Hmm so possibly useful with a fully functioning metabolism, but too easy to overeat on the TDEE day hehe. I am going to see how 6 weeks on 2 weeks off goes for me first.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have found that on diets that gave a 'free' day every week, it was an excuse to binge. I would start out eating sanely, but within a few months I'd plan my whole week knowing I had the free day so everything my heart had desired during the week, I'd overeat on that free day.

Following EM2WL, I'm finding I get plenty of food and am not hungry most days so I don't think it would be a problem for me but I don't want that mentality in my mind so my plan right now is to do 15% cut about 6 weeks and then stick with TDEE for a week.

I'm finding now that I'm not eating at my 15% cut most days. Not because I can't find tasty food to eat, but because it will throw my macros off too much. Just have to learn on that and tweak my eating patterns as I go and find more protein rich snacks that I like to eat.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just catching up here!
    Wow! Congrats on the karate school!
    Super super achievement.
    Well done
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Weekly Update:

Its been a stressful couple of weeks working on the transition of the Karate School from the old owner to us. My eating has been terrible, not home, not getting enough protein etc. My workout schedule has been cut in half (and that really hurts). I have relaxed a bit for now, but careful not to go over TDEE, so that at least I am not gaining, and eating at the lower TDEE since I am not working out as much. I am not worried about it right now, this school needs to be up and running - although it is always in the back on my mind. I will work on my macros this week, and avoid the sweets as much as possible.

Kelly
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am still here, just busy working about 80 hours per week now with the new karate school and my current full time job. I am continuing to focus on my eating - getting my protein in most days and staying under TDEE 5 out of 7 days by about 10%. I had to drop my TDEE since my workouts have reduced quite a bit and my day job is still very sedentary most of the time. I am starting to be able to get more workouts back in, so for now I just track it and eat back my exercise calories.

Haven't weighed in this week, but I know nothing has really changed - maybe 1/2 lb or so down at the most. I check in here when I get some free moments, still reading threads and keeping up on how everyone is doing!

Kelly
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Kelly's Blog

So I am finally back to cutting. Since my activity level dropped so much the cut feels huge (10% cut used to be like 2150 and now it is 1800).

I am pondering why this is called "cutting" and not "dieting" because it feels so much the same. After doing a reset I am much more realistic about a cut than my previous diets. I cut a lot less now compared to how I used to cut 20-25% without knowing it - I just thought I was eating the right amount of calories for my height and weight. I also pay much more attention to my protein intake (instead of obsessing over carbs), and I allow myself carby treats if they fit my macros and calories for the day. I think maybe cutting is really just flexible dieting, like an article I read recommended by Heybales. I do think it is good to take the focus off the word diet and shift it to cut so the idea that you are cutting your calories to an amount below what you burn so you lose weight.

Either way I am watching my protein intake. My protein goal is 25-30% and I seem to be able to do that pretty regularly most days. I am also taking on the added goal of adding in whole fruits and vegetables and trying to get 4-5 combined servings a day, in the past I have not done this and lets face it fruits and veges give you a lot of volume for lower calories and really help you stay full for a while. I need this to keep me from feeling deprived. Plus an apple is better than a candy bar. :dizzy: I am not starving (though I am missing my sweets), and working out seems to be good so far. There is an intense kickboxing workout planned tonight so we will see how that goes.

Over all my reset extended itself into almost 9 months and I had a bunch of over-eating thrown in there too. I am 20 lbs up from when I started the reset. The old diet mentality part of me is screaming oh no this is not working!! But honestly the problems are eating patterns that I have not fully addressed and conquered, such as emotional eating, stuffing myself, not being able to throw out food etc. I am addressing those now and with the new eat more mentality, I feel like getting down to a healthy weight and staying there is a realistic thing that will happen. It will take an 9-12 months but I am ok with that, losing it fast has never ever ever worked long term for me and I have done the yo-yo weight thing at least 10 times in the past (probably closer to 15 or 20 times over my whole life). I have about 40-50 lbs to go depending on how much muscle I can build, but I am going to do this the healthy way.

I know this forum is really dead because of the facebook group, but I don't do facebook very often, and I am on MFP every way, so I will continue to post here.

• heybales
    Options
    It is a diet, or a deficit, simple as that.

The cutting term is used along with the bulking term in normal usage. When you are doing those types of cycles along with weight lifting to both lose fat, then gain fat/muscle.

I think it was used merely to get away from the connotation of doing a diet, instead of just eating the way you can for life in general.
    So a feel good term, just not used in normal usage since I have yet to hear of anyone going on a bulk purposely.

But you are eating differently - you are eating less than you normally could eat to maintain weight, because you want to lose weight. So diet, or cut, eh, same thing besides semantics.

Great lessons you've shared there. Hope others can learn from it.
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just popped on. I don’t do Facebook so keep posting. :)
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Managing to hold steady - not losing though I am supposed to be eating at a cut - I am but I am working out so much less its more maintenance than anything. Still not gaining is a victory too!
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That is true and even more so during the holidays!
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Check in time!

Ok so I weathered the holidays- enjoyed everything I wanted stayed at TDEE and didn't gain anything. I think that may be the first time ever...!

I am back to cutting now - shooting for 0.5 -1 lb a week - will be doing this until the end of February when I have a black belt test and I will go back up to TDEE for that week just to be fully nourished for what will be a long grueling day.

I also have discovered a few things along the way, first of all due to my gall bladder removal if I go over 30% fat even a tiny bit - I have all kind of digestive issues. Secondly I think I am having wheat troubles. I have a son with the double HLA DQB2 mutation who is celiac. I have been having stomach/intestinal issues for a while now so I decided to try going gluten free as well (I have the partial gene mutation for Celiac). Low and behold - as long as I keep my fats under 30% the rest of my intestinal issues are better.

Fortunately my house is very gluten free friendly due to my son - so switching over has not been a hardship at all - and as a bonus it keeps me away from the donuts and fast food that have been my downfall in the past.

And lastly - I have to say I LOVE trendweight.com. I like to weight several times a week (when I am on track at least LOL) and trendweight will sync with my fitness pal to tell me how I am doing. Its great to see in black and white the nice even, slow downward trend in my weight, all the while eating 1900-2300 cals per day. It really reinforces that this is the way to go.

Kelly
  • heybales
    Options
    Excellent results to a season that normally causes more damage, mentally and physically.

It's interesting how when stresses pile up, other things become stressful to the body.

I truly believe that is the biggest reason many that take a steep deficit discover food sensitivities.
    Then when they eat more, don't have them.

Hope deficit is easy for ya!
  • kcmsmith0405
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Not easy, but not terribly hard either :D It still requires saying no to things I want, but on a much smaller scale than the usual strict or severe diets that I have done in the past. And my body REALLY wants to eat at TDEE - I think it is spoiled hehe.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Options
    Since I am pretty sure only people in this forum will appreciate this post and I don't particularly want to bring down the wrath of dieters on my head :D
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kcmsmith0405/view/learning-to-eat-more-and-lose-weight-946770
  • heybales
    Options
    And all the work with the new business!

Just created a new topic in regards to the diet break idea.