Replies

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon Dear!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    ^^What Tracey said. Hoping you'll feel better soon!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    As far as the maintenance challenge goes, I still think making any meals before dinner very low carb is the way to go. If you eat carbs at dinner, your asleep when it would normally make you hungry so it doesn't have the same effect as eating carbs earlier. Good luck. I think I change things very frequently also. I think it is good to experiment and see how things work. Good luck!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    As far as the maintenance challenge goes, I still think making any meals before dinner very low carb is the way to go. If you eat carbs at dinner, your asleep when it would normally make you hungry so it doesn't have the same effect as eating carbs earlier. Good luck. I think I change things very frequently also. I think it is good to experiment and see how things work. Good luck!

Carbs are my sleeping pill for sure :p
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    I'm feeling sooo much better today :)

I've already lost 2.8 pounds of water weight from my 3 day binge now only 4 more to go until Friday...I got this!!!
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    So happy you're feeling better, and yay for the 2.8 pounds. You're rocking your maintenance!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    This is awesome - maintenance is definitely harder than losing IMO...
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    Thanks Girls...It's not really hard it's just really challenging and I'm really hoping the plan I'm doing this week works because I like it so far :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    This is awesome - maintenance is definitely harder than losing IMO...

I don't think so, I can eat more in maintenance! There still needs to be strict rules though or our past habits will re-surface and the weight will be regained. Just my experience.
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In general, if you think of maintenance as two incredible "let go" days a week and then moderate OMAD the other days, that will be enough to make sure almost anyone will maintain. At least that's the "quick and dirty" version.

I disagree, in theory that would work , the problem is you are not factoring in the addictive nature of the junk you are gonna eat in the "incredible let go days" very few people are gonna be able to pull it off LONG TERM, for most people if they keep around the same food triggers that got them fat in the first place eventually will revert to their bad habits and blow up, the only solution, again for MOST people, is to revamp their diet around healthy whole foods and permanently stay off the bad foods, no "let go days" haha,

same as "moderation doesn't work for addicts" this stuff is similar since hyper palatable foods behave like triggers in a low grade addiction for people with weight problems
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't think so, I can eat more in maintenance! There still needs to be strict rules though or our past habits will re-surface and the weight will be regained. Just my experience.

Hopefully doing OMAD will make it easier for me in maintenance. My usual thing is to maintain for a few (even as many as 5 or 6) years and then slowly start eating more and more. I think with OMAD I can commit to doing it forever and maybe extend my eating window or something... Though I can pack away a fair few calories in an hour or two, so that may not be necessary!!

I agree about moderation - I am not good with it in any way, shape, or form!!

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    In general, if you think of maintenance as two incredible "let go" days a week and then moderate OMAD the other days, that will be enough to make sure almost anyone will maintain. At least that's the "quick and dirty" version.

I disagree, in theory that would work , the problem is you are not factoring in the addictive nature of the junk you are gonna eat in the "incredible let go days" very few people are gonna be able to pull it off LONG TERM, for most people if they keep around the same food triggers that got them fat in the first place eventually will revert to their bad habits and blow up, the only solution, again for MOST people, is to revamp their diet around healthy whole foods and permanently stay off the bad foods, no "let go days" haha,

same as "moderation doesn't work for addicts" this stuff is similar since hyper palatable foods behave like triggers in a low grade addiction for people with weight problems

Uh, well, I'm speaking from experience, so yes, it's definitely true. I'm not theorizing here.

If someone can't control themselves, then they won't have made it to maintenance. Or else they won't have lost much weight to learn to fully restructure their eating. Assuming someone stays cognizant of the need for the fasting life change, then meager efforts to maintain it will suffice. If a person has overcome their addictions through fasting, then they no longer have "food triggers" anymore.
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have had "Let Go Days/Splurge Days" once a week since I started my diet over 9 months ago and I lost over 64 pounds and now I'm doing either 2 or 3 Splurge days and I'm maintaining just fine...If I have a week where I'm higher on the scale then the next week I will have 1 less Splurge day...On my Splurge days I'm eating whatever I like and I like sweets and pizza and Chinese and Popcorn at the Movie Theater...On my Non Splurge days I mainly eat low calories and some days will be low carb it just all depends on what I feel like eating that day :)
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Hearing from you three, Bob, Joe and Brenda, is even more inspiring to me. OMAD is the first thing I've done where I can actually see not only reaching my goal, but keeping the weight back off for life following all of your examples :-)
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Uh, well, I'm speaking from experience, so yes, it's definitely true. I'm not theorizing here.

If someone can't control themselves, then they won't have made it to maintenance. Or else they won't have lost much weight to learn to fully restructure their eating. Assuming someone stays cognizant of the need for the fasting life change, then meager efforts to maintain it will suffice. If a person has overcome their addictions through fasting, then they no longer have "food triggers" anymore.
    I agree with you and think this is the key point, whether or not the person has made the change to a fasting lifestyle. I feel I have and look forward to maintenance because I know my food addictions have been eradicated. I'm now addicted to the control and freedom that an OMAD-type lifestyle offers. I'll never give that up.

• x3nomorph
    edited June 2017
    Options

see this the issue here, your personal success doesn't mean most will be able to replicate it, conscientious/non agreeable personality types, like you seem to have, can push through and make it work through thin and thick but not everyone has that psychological make up

there's also another thing in your particular case, you have other incentives, like leading this group/youtube channel/coaching services that provide extra motivation since it places you in a position to be an example/help others etc

I'd say that for the losing phase having trigger foods around MAY be feasible since the losing phase is a relatively short time but maintenance is a whole different ball game, we are taking decades down the road here

I predict that with the current guidelines as they are structured

1. most people wont even make it to the maintenance phase, this is already a reality when you look at the "graveyard of threads" in the community 90+% people that start a log disappear to not ever be seen again

2. from the few who make it to maintenance , most will get fat again at some point

now don't get me wrong OMAD is a terrific tool, just need the other half of the equation(abstinence from crap) to really work for most people, you cant just ignore the elephant in the room, which is the addictive super palatable foods in our modern environment and achieve success long term ,again for most people

of course I may be wrong but I guess time will tell
  • x3nomorph
    Options

I have had "Let Go Days/Splurge Days" once a week since I started my diet over 9 months ago and I lost over 64 pounds and now I'm doing either 2 or 3 Splurge days and I'm maintaining just fine...If I have a week where I'm higher on the scale then the next week I will have 1 less Splurge day...On my Splurge days I'm eating whatever I like and I like sweets and pizza and Chinese and Popcorn at the Movie Theater...On my Non Splurge days I mainly eat low calories and some days will be low carb it just all depends on what I feel like eating that day :)

9 months is nothing in the grand scheme of thing, don't get me wrong you have done a terrific job so far, I hope you can keep the weight off for good :)

• blambo61
    Options

I've found never allowing indulgences is also a trigger to a binge. I think it is perfectly fine to go ahead and have some very big indulgence days like on special occasions. Some minor indulgences maybe on a weekly basis. I don't want to give up sugar permanently but I do know I need to watch it. I agree with your point though that people need to be careful and if a person can't control it, it would be better to totally abstain than go off on the deep end.
  • blambo61
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »

Hopefully doing OMAD will make it easier for me in maintenance. My usual thing is to maintain for a few (even as many as 5 or 6) years and then slowly start eating more and more. I think with OMAD I can commit to doing it forever and maybe extend my eating window or something... Though I can pack away a fair few calories in an hour or two, so that may not be necessary!!

I agree about moderation - I am not good with it in any way, shape, or form!!

For maintenance:
    I plan on fasting forever but not OMAD style everyday. My plan is OMAD a couple days a week and a 16:8 the other days with an occasional eat every meal day thrown in if I'm doing some demanding physical thing in the morning or if there is a special occasion where I would want to eat breakfast.

I also plan on eating earlier meals mostly very low carb.

I plan on exercising as much as possible.

I plan on weighing every day and if I see things creep up. I add more OMAD days. About as simple as that.