Celebrating Non-Scale Victories! Members share your NSVs here!

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
The scale isn't the be-all and end-all for feedback on your fat loss efforts. It's easy to get caught up in the numbers, especially if you're in the not-so-great habit of weighing in every week. There's a danger in depending solely on the scale for feedback. If it shows that you didn't lose or that you gained, you might feel disappointed. It might even feel like a setback.

But if you put the scale in perspective and focus on other achievements, your journey will feel a lot less hit or miss. A lot can happen within the body, especially when lifting heavy weights, and these things aren't always reflected on the scale! Acknowledging your progress in other areas can help keep you positive.

For example, here are some non-scale victories that are well worth celebrating:

•You've lost inches and clothes are fitting better
•It's easier to walk up stairs and play with your kids
•You were able to increase weights
•You feel more positive and better about yourself

It's important to recognize changes, even if you consider them small as they are happening. You'll realize that you're progressing in behaviors, attitudes, skills and choices that will last you a lifetime. So feel free to post your NSVs and any other type of progress you're having with EM2WL!

Here's a couple of the previous threads if you wish to read them:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/551408-before-progress-after-photos

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/513414-weigh-in-measurement-updates

Replies

• AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Well, I will say that today, I bought 10lb weights because today, even though I'm super sore from this morning's arms/shoulders workout (and still sore from chest/back on Sunday), I felt like, at least for biceps and shoulders, I can move from 8lbs to 10lbs!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you guys combined these threads!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    My BF% is going down! It's going down very slowly....like snails pace slow, but at least it is going in the right direction. I was 40.3% when I started EM2WL and it is now 39.7% so a .6% drop.

Just thought I would share since my scale isn't budging there are some SLOW changes happening :)
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    moved my post to a different thread... TDEE support
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I thought I would post links to these 2 threads from the main boards. They are success threads with people eating more...there are still some people who are not eating enough that posted pics but for the most part it is filled with people who are eating enough to fuel their bodies). Just thought it would be some extra motivation/inspiration for some:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/534457-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    SW: 395
    07/13/12: 339.9
    07/20/12: 341.9
    07/27/12: 333.8, 3.5 inches down
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    SW: 395
    07/13/12: 339.9
    07/20/12: 341.9
    07/27/12: 333.8, 3.5 inches down

WOW that is awesome! Is that all since you started EM2WL?
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It's been a good weekend for me! Hubby and I went shopping yesterday, and I bought some new shorts at Old Navy - get this... Low Rise Size 4s! Then as we were leaving the mall, we saw a couple I haven't seen for about 4 months, and she totally did not recognize me...

Since I have started following the EM2WL group, I have lost 3.6 pounds (while increasing my calories from 1200 to 2000 a day - YAY!), started lifting heavy and am seeing huge changes in my body. My arms now have muscles and veins and I have really toned up everywhere - it's amazing how your body can change when you give it some fuel - thanks to all who encouraged me to change my ways --- you know who you are!!! I am within a couple of pounds of my goal weight of 150, and am really just trying to get fitter and maintain at this point. If I get to 150, great, if I don't, that's fine too. I am just so happy to be getting leaner while eating so much more food! I really think that bumping up my protein intake has been very beneficial and helpful in this journey...

Then, today, I went for my standard Sunday morning walk - I aim for 4 miles in one hour. As I was getting towards the end, I was actually going a little faster than usual and when I got to the 4 mile mark I still had about 10 minutes left to get to the one hour I had planned on walking. I still had some energy, so I decided to try to jog one mile and make it a total of 5. Know what? Not only did I do that, but when I was finishing up, my favorite Coldplay song came on and I jogged another 1/2 mile! I did a total of 4 miles walking and 1 1/2 miles jogging in 1hr 10 minutes! Let me tell you, I am 49 years old and have not jogged since I was forced to do so in High School !! I have to say it felt great! I would not trade how I feel for anything!

Thank you EM2WL! You guys rock!!!!!!!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I posted this on the Em2WL site too:

I had my first loss on the scale this morning since the beginning of June! I am down .7 lb. I am now at my lowest post partum weight. 5 lbs to go to have the baby weight gone and then I can work on the other 40.

I am just so excited to see a lower number on the scale since I had plateaued for almost 8 weeks. That was a very trying 8 weeks.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    So I am a month into my lifting program. A little over 4 months of EM2WL.

In the just about 30 days of the ChaLean Extreme program (3 days of lifting 2 of interval cardio)

~I have lost one inch in my hips. Incredible since this is my trouble spot. I make progress everywhere before I see this move.
    ~0.5 of an inch in my abductor area
    ~Gained an inch in my arms (yet they are visibly smaller)
    ~No official loss in the waist area neither upper or lower but it looks smoother and more pulled in if that makes sense. and TOM was here so idk maybe Ill see loss next measurement time.
    ~Have more defined shoulders and upper back

<--- I feel like this times 10.

My weight is actually up 2.5 pounds from when I started the program.
  • mgall86
    mgall86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I had my first loss on the scale this morning since the beginning of June! I am down .7 lb. I am now at my lowest post partum weight. 5 lbs to go to have the baby weight gone and then I can work on the other 40.

I am just so excited to see a lower number on the scale since I had plateaued for almost 8 weeks. That was a very trying 8 weeks.
    This makes me feel soo much better! I have plateaued with my weight loss for the last three weeks or so. It can get so frustrating thinking I'm not making any progress, but hearing this reassures me that I am still headed in the right direction and the scale will budge eventually!
    Good job, by the way!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm only weighing myself once a month. Down 2.2 lbs for the month of July. I'm glad this is a sticky, I keep chasing the No Scale July thread and it keeps running away.
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options

This makes me feel soo much better! I have plateaued with my weight loss for the last three weeks or so. It can get so frustrating thinking I'm not making any progress, but hearing this reassures me that I am still headed in the right direction and the scale will budge eventually!
    Good job, by the way!

After 6-7 weeks of plateauing I ended up doing a one week diet break and I think that helped to get me back on the losing path again, so just something you might want to consider trying.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I run with my dogs and wear a waist belt to attach their leads too, today they were positively running rings around me - the waist belt is so big on me now :smile: and that is tightening it as far as I can.

Its hard getting my head around that the numbers on the scales aren't the focus anymore but things like this do help.

Also for those who didnt see my thread last week, I had been doing this only 6 days when I went out with the dogs for a run through the woods, the route I was doing is very hilly in the middle, about a mile of constant ups & downs. I have always had to walk parts of them and even then my legs are like lead. Last Thursday I ran them all and my legs felt great - I thought my training was finally paying off when I reaslised it was more likely due to the increase in food giving my body fuel to burn. I was converted at that point.

To add to this with family & friends visiting last week our healthy eating had gone a bit AWOL and on Sunday my run felt much harder.... coincidence I think not.

I'm so glad I found MFP, then this group & had the confidence to give it a go :flowerforyou:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    AFTER "NO-SCALE JULY"*
    *i did weigh myself twice but it was research related and i didn't freak OR log it.

5/31 ----> 6/30
    > 7/31

Weight 151.6 ---> 146----> 144
    waist 33 1/2 ---> 32---->31 1/8
    hips 40
    > 39 ----> 39
    R Thi 23---> 23 ----> 22 1/2
    R arm 11 1/4 ---> 11
    > 11
    Chest 34
    > 33
    > 32
    Bust 39 1/6 ----> 38
    > 37

So for July i went down 2 lbs and lost 3 3/8 inches overall. A slower progress than last month but that could be contributed to a few factors. Not only did i have quite a few BBQ's and dinners out this month that were difficult to log accurately, I didn't focus as well on meeting my macros AND i got serious about my strength training. I feel pretty good about it overall though - a loss is a loss after all. So - time to refocus on my food. As long as i like it, i plan on giving Supreme 90 day system a go in August. I was just feeling overwhelmed with all the exercises i "should" be doing, i just sort of want to mindlessly pop in the next dvd without over thinking it. :)
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Checkin' In.....OK, after all my *****ing and complaining because the scale doesn't move I quit weighing myself in mid July and it's been a good thing. My current measurements have me at 10.25 inches lost in 85 days, mostly from my waist, hips and thighs. But what really got me was a nice comment from a friend that hadn't seen me in a few months. So I decided to find an old photo and take a new photo and share with you. Sorry about the cheesy smile on the current pic, it's so awkward to take a self pic. :-) It's funny that I never so myself so obese and the old picture makes me sad, but thankfully I am progressing to a new healthier and happier me. Thanks for the support and continued wealth of information.
    Before1.jpg

Now.jpg
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Checkin' In.....OK, after all my *****ing and complaining because the scale doesn't move I quit weighing myself in mid July and it's been a good thing. My current measurements have me at 10.25 inches lost in 85 days, mostly from my waist, hips and thighs. But what really got me was a nice comment from a friend that hadn't seen me in a few months. So I decided to find an old photo and take a new photo and share with you. Sorry about the cheesy smile on the current pic, it's so awkward to take a self pic. :-) It's funny that I never so myself so obese and the old picture makes me sad, but thankfully I am progressing to a new healthier and happier me. Thanks for the support and continued wealth of information.
    Before1.jpg

Now.jpg

Wow, just amazing!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    AFTER "NO-SCALE JULY"*
    *i did weigh myself twice but it was research related and i didn't freak OR log it.

5/31 ----> 6/30
    > 7/31

Weight 151.6 ---> 146----> 144
    waist 33 1/2 ---> 32---->31 1/8
    hips 40
    > 39 ----> 39
    R Thi 23---> 23 ----> 22 1/2
    R arm 11 1/4 ---> 11
    > 11
    Chest 34
    > 33
    > 32
    Bust 39 1/6 ----> 38
    > 37

So for July i went down 2 lbs and lost 3 3/8 inches overall. A slower progress than last month but that could be contributed to a few factors. Not only did i have quite a few BBQ's and dinners out this month that were difficult to log accurately, I didn't focus as well on meeting my macros AND i got serious about my strength training. I feel pretty good about it overall though - a loss is a loss after all. So - time to refocus on my food. As long as i like it, i plan on giving Supreme 90 day system a go in August. I was just feeling overwhelmed with all the exercises i "should" be doing, i just sort of want to mindlessly pop in the next dvd without over thinking it. :)

Awesome!
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's been a good weekend for me! Hubby and I went shopping yesterday, and I bought some new shorts at Old Navy - get this... Low Rise Size 4s! Then as we were leaving the mall, we saw a couple I haven't seen for about 4 months, and she totally did not recognize me...

Since I have started following the EM2WL group, I have lost 3.6 pounds (while increasing my calories from 1200 to 2000 a day - YAY!), started lifting heavy and am seeing huge changes in my body. My arms now have muscles and veins and I have really toned up everywhere - it's amazing how your body can change when you give it some fuel - thanks to all who encouraged me to change my ways --- you know who you are!!! I am within a couple of pounds of my goal weight of 150, and am really just trying to get fitter and maintain at this point. If I get to 150, great, if I don't, that's fine too. I am just so happy to be getting leaner while eating so much more food! I really think that bumping up my protein intake has been very beneficial and helpful in this journey...

Then, today, I went for my standard Sunday morning walk - I aim for 4 miles in one hour. As I was getting towards the end, I was actually going a little faster than usual and when I got to the 4 mile mark I still had about 10 minutes left to get to the one hour I had planned on walking. I still had some energy, so I decided to try to jog one mile and make it a total of 5. Know what? Not only did I do that, but when I was finishing up, my favorite Coldplay song came on and I jogged another 1/2 mile! I did a total of 4 miles walking and 1 1/2 miles jogging in 1hr 10 minutes! Let me tell you, I am 49 years old and have not jogged since I was forced to do so in High School !! I have to say it felt great! I would not trade how I feel for anything!

Thank you EM2WL! You guys rock!!!!!!!
    YOU INSPIRE ME!!!! :wink: :smile: :smile:
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    NSV. Last night my kids were in the annual county fair parade. They both are in their middle school band. Anyway, I hotfooted it with them up to the line up point, then went and stood for nearly two hours until they came through as they were near the end. Then followed them down the length of the street and then walked back up the hill to where my husband was standing. I carried a trombone about halfway (I got lucky, I saw one dad with a bass drum strapped to his back, lol). I did not get winded once. I wore sandals, big mistake, and my feet were sore from those, but never once did I actually have to sit down. I wanted to but I didn't NEED to. Last year I had a hard time standing the length of the parade, never mind all the walking.