Barbell Routines - when you only have dumbbells

Options
Sarauk2sf
Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
There are a lot of questions on here about being able to use dumbbells for the common barbell compound lifting routines so I thought I would make a quick post to give ideas on how to adapt these if you do not have access to barbells. Also, these suggestions can also be used, for example, when you do not have access to a squat rack or power cage for squats.

To progress as far as you can go with these routines you will need to use barbells at some point, but when starting, you can get significant benefits from using dumbbells:

So, here is a list I have come up with for some alternates (this is not an exclusive list, just some suggestions):

Squats:

Bulgarian Split Squats https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/bulgarian_split_squats&cr=

Pistol Squats http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/breaking_down_the_pistol_squat

Goblet squats: Hold a dumbbell or kettlebell in front of you at about chest height. Make sure you keep the same form as with a barbell squat (although your center of gravity will be different) - engage core, slightly arch back and go to at least parallel, keep knees behind toes as much as possible. You will have a wider stance for these so they are more similar to a barbell sumo squat.

Deadlifts:

DB Stiff-legged deadlift http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/stiff-legged-dumbbell-deadlift (note, she is going very low in this video - only go as low as you can while keeping your back neutral (no lower back rounding) - it will depend on your flexibility)

Rows:

Bent over dumbbell rows convert pretty easily from barbell rows.

Bench press:

Bench press also converts easily into using dumbbells and in fact it can be argued is better, assuming you can get them up, as it engages more stabilizer muscles. If you do not have a bench, then you can do floor presses. At some point however, you will have problems getting them up into the starting position.

Overhead Press:

Barbell OHPs also convert easily to using dumbbells with the same advantages and limitations as bench.

Replies

• sdalhall
    sdalhall Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    New kinds of squats to try! Yay! I have 5,10,15, and 20 pound dumbbells and am hoping to get a barbell soon. After I finished P90X, I started using a full-body dummbbell routine that I found online and had decent results. I'm going to add the pistol and goblet squats to it.

Thanks for posting this.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats are awesome!
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!!! I try to workout while I go on vacation or on business trips and hotels usually only carry dumbbells and cardio machines. You are the best
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Thankyou Sara!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Momowink
    Momowink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is awesome advice, thank you!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!! All I have are adjustable dumb bells so this helps a lot!!
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara! Great post :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Sticky this pretty please!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Thanks, these are definitely good to know considering my gym's lack of equipment, specifically barbells over 60 pounds. Also no power racks.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Very helpful.
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great post and great info.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bumping to have a look later. (Thanks for posting this)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    One arm power cleans to over head presses.

Or.

Pick up one dumbell with two hands from a deadlift position. Clean it to your chest. Perform a front squat. Then finish the move with an overhead press.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great to have this, thanks Sara :flowerforyou:
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Thanks so much!