Coffee and what goes in...

Options
Solabela
Solabela Posts: 7 Member
I am a coffee drinker. In some clean eating camps that could get a person shot I suppose, but I am counting on the fact that there have got to be other coffee lovers here.

I drink decaf for health reasons. It was a hard switch, but I made it.

The question is what to put in my coffee. There are some things we eat or drink that are just occasional treats, and I don't get too bent out of shape about those. But coffee is a daily indulgence for me. At least one cup in the morning. Sometimes two.

For as long as I have been a coffee drinker, I have added two teaspoons of white sugar and then coffee creamer (18%) but I have recently gone off dairy and I am having a hard time finding an alternative.

I tried a soy based "creamer" but I disliked it. Maybe with some practice I would adjust, but its not sold anywhere near where I live, so realistically its not a great solution.

I tried "International Delight" because its lactose free (yay for the belly) but it only comes in flavours and I don't require any sugar because its super sweet on it's own. So far this solution is winning based on the lactose free, but boy is it sweet.

There is powdered coffee whitener but who knows what that is made from.

I need to kick the sugar habit and find a whitening agent that tastes good and feels great.

Advice?

Sola

Replies

• Solabela
    Solabela Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. I am going to try them :)
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, just got off of dairy (among other things) and I have not yet found a good rich creamy coffee creamer. I will have to give a few a these a try. Thanks for your support.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in mine
  • HairTie1
    HairTie1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here's the options that I use depending on what I have a taste for and what my calorie or macronutrient needs may be on any given morning. Also, I'm a heavy coffee drinker (except for when I'm working up for an important race during which I'll wean myself off so that caffeine actually impacts my race performance vs just satisfying my addiction. ;-) Minimum 6 cups per day (the actual measurement, not physical coffee cups which come in all shapes and sizes and mine are huge!).

In order of preference:
    1. Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk. Smoother than every almond milk that I've tried. Love it! Higher carb count than almond milk. (Couple drops of Stevia extract and a shot of vodka and you've got a delicious low carb morning cocktail).
    2. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Less expensive than cashew milk, lower carb, and a bit grainier.
    3. Organic whipping cream. While keto, this is my goto coffee "whitener." A tablespoon goes a long way.
    4. Organic coconut oil. Good source of high quality fat calories without the dairy. I don't really crave it and without an emulsifier it doesn't blend into the coffee at all. However, its shelf stable and requires no refrigeration so very easy to have on hand at work.

Enjoy!
  • NameItNClaimIt
    NameItNClaimIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tried the Sprouts brand organic, light roasted coffee with just stevia powder this morning. Yuck! LOL I normally put in unsweetened vanilla almond milk along with the sweetleaf stevia powder. The purest stevia I have been able to find. Sometimes I add some coconut oil as well.
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    This AM I had So Delicious brand coconut coffee creamer. Not much taste, but it cut the acidity of the coffee, which is why I don't drink mine black. Also this whole coffee dilemma has prompted me to cut back on my coffee consumption overall which is a good thing.
  • ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kroger has an amazing nonfat lactose free (pretty sure dairy free) milk that I love. I get the vanilla one and it's super low calorie and low carb. It is called CarbMaster and it's made by Kroger. I love it with coffee as it tastes like regular milk, really sweet and hardly any sugar in it or maybe none at all, and a nice strong vanilla that is a nice pairing with a bold dark roast cup of coffee in the morning. I think you will love it! I know almond milk isn't bad either but not as intense. Soymilk is nice too but sometimes not the healthiest for me personally. Anyways hope that helps