Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello again! I had to tell you about this! MFP had a 30 Day Challenge for beginners. I tried the first day and I am darn near crippled! I guess I am way below beginner….what would that be? Just thought I would let you in on my giggle. Limping toward the kitchen for ice water and an aspirin.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Oh PATSY, you had me giggling over my oatmeal. I think I'll keep off challenges. My motto is Ignorance is Bliss.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    😆😅😂 that’s so funny Patsy and I have to admit I’ve no idea what comes before ‘beginner’. Maybe willing but not so able! 😄. Even when younger I wasn’t up for challenges so am sure I would be joining you in the painful corner!

Another beautiful day with more of a breeze and we had a longer walk, main reason being I took one of our routes back to front so twice ended knee deep in bracken fearful we would be swallowed by a sink hole then had to walk a distance on to find my way down to a lower path. I could sense George and Betty raising eyebrows at each other as they followed close behind me until they recognised where we were.

I’ve been clearing a few weeds and brambles that were overhanging the footpath out to the parking area before the sun reaches it because rain is forecast by the end of the week and I don’t want to find myself battling through soggy growth. It’s used by 3 properties but guess who does the work to keep it clear? I know that if the not so pleasant neighbours were asked then poisonous spray would be everywhere and there’s toads, frogs and mice living in the wall so I wouldn’t suggest it!

I’m going to try to finish a 2nd coat of paint on 3 walls today with a roller then there’s just the feature fireplace walk to do. Still no sign of the electrician! 🤨
    I’ve changed my mind about the dining room colours and instead will go with a softer yellow and green. Buttercup and Grass Green. I think I was in a different frame of mind when I initially chose red but I’m calmer now I have my home to myself.
    g8wlilu0mdl4.jpeg

Who knew there was such an art to painting walls. Apparently the watered down first coat soaks in to plaster otherwise it would sit on top and overtime flake. It’s incredibly boring but I do see the point.

Patsy, we do see graffiti in Britain but it tends to be in urban areas, no doubt because the artist craves a larger audience. A few dog walkers passing a 200 year old engine house
    wouldn’t do it!

Sandy, sounds like you’re having a grand time in Florida. No weighing in until the end of the week so relax! 😁

I’m at that point where I’ll see my post disappear if I try to look back to previous posts so I’ll change into painting clothes and crack on.

Take care everyone.
    Jackie

• Annsie35
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I prefer your new choice Jackie, and believe me yellow walls are a joy in the winter months. I rather like the rosemary leaf. My Derbyshire home had VERY pale yellowy mossy green on the main walls with a deeper yellow toned mossy green in the fireplace alcoves behind white painted shelves. I loved it and because the walls where not perfect, we painted over anaglypta wall "paper" lining the walls in a sort of basket weave.
    I think you will love your new choices.
    Anne
    PS: I jazzed up my place with a very large terra pot textured clay lamp base which I'd made at night class. I was awfully proud of that lamp and it was much admired until the ex in a fit of temper smashed it to smithereens when he moved the sideboard without removing the lamp. Broke my heart, best thing I ever made but I only mention it because if you discard the red it will give you a bigger choice of warming accessory's I would think but that's only my opinion of course. Whatever you do is going to look smashing. [Freudian slip there, lol}.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,078 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!😃 Lisa and kids will arrive later this afternoon. Lisa is still under the weather but a little better today. We will either leave for home tomorrow or Wednesday. Taking our time driving home, so should be home by Friday. Perfect vacation so far and we now have our deposits in for Jamaica for my 80th. birthday in March. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time.
  • pinkperil
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Agree Anne, the yellow against the grey floor tiles and red/ green monkey chairs will brighten any day. Also have my dad’s huge 1970’s German pottery lamp to fit in somewhere but am trying the less is more theory!! I do like the rosemary leaf too but looks as if it could be too blue. Seems you have similar ideas to bring the outdoors colours in but what a shame about your masterpiece lamp!

Lovely to hear from you Sandy and I bet you’re so excited to be about to see the kiddos and Lisa! What a fun trip home that should be. 😁

Tea break for me in the shade having finished the 3 walls in my snug. Reckon I can finish that room by tomorrow evening so will pick up the paint for my dining room when I do a grocery shop in the morning.
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    A sunny warm Monday. It might get really warm this afternoon. But so far it is just wonderfully pleasant.
    No rain forecast this week. That is a worry our wild fire is at true catastrophe status. Everyone is scared and we all look to the skies praying for rain.

I have laundry on the go and dishes going in dish washer, Katie’s chicken is cooking, I still need to shower and do my exercises. As you would expect, I tend to put the exercises off. Not good! John has my permission to nag me and be as demanding as necessary. I reserve the same for him. He needs exercises to deal with his arthritis and he is walking sort of bent over. That will require a chat with the physical therapist. A very unpleasant and know-it-all kind of person. But he does really seem to know it all!

John mowed yesterday and he will be doing some trimming today. I still have some of my chili left and will use it on an egg white omelette for dinner. Easy peasy.

Jackie: Your color scheme sounds stylish and colorful. I can tell you are enjoying this part of the remodel process. We tend to do those activities we enjoy, no matter how arduous. I enjoy painting but not the masking off part. And if I don’t mask off, I would be spending hours scraping and redoing where I painted that I shouldn’t have.

Anne: still no reaction to the shot? You are super woman. I love that you and your new neighbor are starting up a very nice friendship. Maybe you will meet the parents and other family members in time. I am the friendly one in our house. I do try to welcome new people in our neighborhood. Being out in the country and in a very heavily wooded area I rarely see neighbors. We are all surrounded by very tall trees. Thus the wildfire worry.

Sandy: Damon has been all over the Caribbean sailing. He has been to Jamaica many times. In fact he was best man at a friends wedding held on a big sailing boat at anchor near Jamaica. Wild and crazy times and he said the rum drinks will make you forget how to walk! Hummmmmmmm

Back to work. Exercises next, then my shower, then try to dress so I don’t look like one of those scary old fuzzy-haired wild women who shop in Walmart in their bedroom slippers.
    Patsy☘️🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🐕🐕🐕🐕🐕🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶
  • Annsie35
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Rosemary leaf. Agree JACKIe. I was forgetting the dining room chairs. Oh boy, you've got me itching to repaint the entire house here. I used to love decorating and colour choosing. My Derbyshire Kitchen had buttercup yellow walls and the third which was the breakfast nook was in a deeper toning sort of burnt corn colour. I've noticed over here that wallpaper [on one wall] appears to be making a comeback.

PATSY, ask Damon if he's tried the Rich Fruit Jamaican RUM Chrismas Cake, oh boy it knocks your socks off.

No reaction to both shots at all which makes me wonder if I am one of those people who can get Corvid and have no systems but can pass it on. Weird. I've just furtively peered at my mobile and I've managed 9,411 steps today. Do you think I will make it to the desired 10,000 steps by bedtime?

Its horribly hot and humid here, stay inside weather. I wore my ugly black shorts to do the washing and vacuuming earlier and prayed no one showed up at the back door. Definitely a Walmart look alike! I've since changed into tee shirt and jeans which is a very slight improvement. Wouldn't it be wonderful to age into one of those elegant French pleated hair women instead of some Macbeth witch. I tell myself crones are more interesting....not very convincingly.

Not much going on here, all the neighbours are holed up as well, but earlier when I took the garbage out to the garage a faint rather nice smell of curry drifted over the fence from Kahlads house. Much preferable to choice English words, eh Jackie.

SANDY safe journey home and I can't go back a page to see what LINS up to.

Anne.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    We are under a wild fire smoke advisory. Stay indoors if possible. Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,125 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hello. First post of the day. I was off doing errands this morning when a friend called and said everything was going wrong and she wanted to talk for a while. I said I was on my way home with my groceries and could talk in 10 minutes or so. She said she was going to get a diet soda and would call me back. She didn’t call so I called her and the phone rolled to her voice mail. I tried again later and she said she had things to do before her early afternoon doctor’s appointment and would call me back after that appointment. Odd.

I made some lunch and called a friend I haven’t spoken to for a very long time. Maybe a year? One email perhaps. We usually meet up or speak one or two times a year. We talked for a couple of hours and I was updated on a health condition she’s been treated for for quite a while as well as her grandchildren, the trips she and her hubby have taken to visit family in Texas as well as a birthday party for her granddaughter who lives locally. Very interesting.

Got back to my chore list and the phone rang. Yep, the lady from this morning telling me about her misadventures of the day. Another long conversation having to do with a number of health problems, her hearing aids (currently on order), the x-rays of her ankle and the doctor’s opinion of the pain she has in that area. It is kind of crazy, she has had issues with that foot and ankle for several years and no progress has been made. So, finally hung up after discussing everything.

Then received an email with the sentencing details of a friend’s son. I have mentioned the son who was stealing from and mistreating her. She did not receive the money the court ordered that the son return to her but he was arrested on another charge and he did receive a few months of incarceration for that.

Okay, so that burned up my entire day.

Back to Sneaker business!

Patsy, my gosh, maybe not a beginner but a novice? I saw a 30-day challenge for building muscle but it was so fuzzy I couldn’t read it at all. Glad I couldn’t! Sorry you were hurting and hope today is a better day. Leftovers. Superb! Exercises. Ah, good job. No one to prompt me. I walk and stretch a bit. My shoulders hurt quite a bit and some moves bring tears to my eyes.

Sandy, back with the rest of the family. I hope Lisa is feeling a bit better each day. Have a safe trip home! I hope the car trip is enjoyable.

Jackie, I like those colors. Light-ish yellows are happy colors. Well, all yellows are probably considered happy sunshine colors. Good switch! I hope the electrician shows up soon. Can you give him a call?

Anne, you do have a friendly neighbor. Some cooking smells. Usually nice right? And no new piles of junk. Lovely. I like wild women. Unique style. I call myself the Hag of the Hollow. But not the toothless hag of the hollow—I still have most of those. 😂 But no chance of aging fashionably.

9ooidsd6tb0m.jpeg

Be well stay safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Ha! So I thought I’d finished the 1st 3 walls but in morning sunlight I can see a few patchy areas. It doesn’t help there’s no lights in the room but I do have a reading lamp that I’ll plug in on an extension and aim at each wall. Messaged electrician Paul last night and he sent text saying he will be here next Wednesday. I never hold my breath!!

Even hotter today so we are in what’s called a heat amber warning; in other words stay indoors or in the shade. Something new from the Met Office in England as temperature records get smashed. Even at 7am when I walked the pooches it was already unhealthy so I selected a 15 minute route then home for breakfast. George and Betty are sensible and lie quietly in shade but poor Betty woke me around 3am panting on my bed. It’s cooler downstairs but she wouldn’t leave me and I wasn’t going without sleep!
    After our walk I went on my paint buying mission to the next town about 12 miles away but drat, sample pots in my colours at the DIY store but no 2.5 litre so it would mean ordering. That chain doesn’t have a great reputation so it made sense to order online which I’ve done. My last order from this company in Scotland arrived within 2 days which is fine.

On the way home I popped into a supermarket for a few supplies but couldn’t get enthusiastic about what was on offer so I’ve told myself I must be more creative with stores in my cupboard.
    On that subject, I decided the old pine spice cupboard that was attacked by woodworm must go even though I sprayed it. Those pin
    prick holes will shout at me every time I search for a spice! I’m expecting an Amazon delivery in the next hour of fancy glass jars and a couple of kitchen shelves. Now I need to give the pine China cabinet serious consideration… does it stay or does it go?

Smoke Anne! Where’s that drifting in from… the West coast?

Oh no, just received a text letting me know Scooby the black Labrador I got to know during lockdown that I passed on painkillers to, passed away this morning. Jamie his owner is gutted and so am I. I’ll message him and come back to you sneakers later today.

Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    The smoke alert is from wild fires in northern Ontario Jackie but also from the more reported ones in the west which are now drifting towards and over us by the wind. Another hot sticky stay indoors day for those that can which means me and my little one.

I'm always sad to hear of a beloved pet dying. It hurts the poor owner so much. Please tell Jamie, that Anne in Canada is very sorry to read the bad news.

By the way I keep my pasta, rice, sugar, etc in 8 screw top mason jars. With all the ants, insects etc over here at least these jars keep them at bay, plus I can easily see the contents when I need something. I keep flour in the refrigerator for the same reason.

Ive just done my first 3000 steps, actually 3475, but just by walking around the house because of heat etc.

I gather the USA/Canada border is about to open but not sure why as the virus infections are on the rise again in the USA.

And on that bleak note will hopefully be back with better news next time.

Anne
  • pinkperil
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Finally it’s a pleasant temperature so after a plate of salad with mackerel for my evening meal I’m sipping a glass of lager and looking at the hazy horizon.

What a day you had yesterday Lin with so many long calls and lots of updates. I do remember the friend you mentioned with the wayward son taking advantage and hopefully a spell in prison will sort him out!
    A rollercoaster with my online paint order when I had a message explaining the extra dark base required for the green wasn’t available and would I like to choose another. I looked through colour charts, couldn’t find one I liked so asked them to send it when the base became available. Turned out I misunderstood the original message so I can have the grass green but in a different paint product! Life can be so complicated!!
    A lovely teapot Lin that reminds me of the Fall colours in Canada.

Pasty, an almost disaster with the masking tape as I pulled it off, along with some new paint! I shall have to be very careful when I touch up the patches… a job I hate! Chili sounds like a dish I can create so will add to my growing list of meals to make rather than buy. I’ve far too much dried soya I bought at the start of our initial lockdown when panic buying was getting silly…. Remember the toilet rolls. 🙄. I can make a variety of dishes from Italian to Moroccan and on to Eastern delights.

I think one has to be a certain type to become a physiotherapist because the job nearly always entails inflicting pain and demanding more of us than we think possible. I will always be grateful to Lucy, the physio who watched me struggle before hip replacements then said Jackie, enough is enough!!

I haven’t got into shorts, mostly because I hate the messy Factor 50 sun screen I’m supposed to use so bad enough it’s spread over arms, back of neck and below my chin! Thankfully I have light flowing cotton trousers that allow air to circulate!

Anne, I will message Jamie and he will probably reply you’ve made him cry again because apparently my message had him in tears when I mentioned Scooby’s wagging tail and bottom. He’ll love you for it though. We are going to meet up for tea and cake with his wife one day when we won’t sit and cry throughout.
    My new spice jars are glass with screw tops but the labels that arrived to stick on are what I’d call old fashioned so not the kind I store.

I shall close up my greenhouse and check the hens are tucked in then attempt to put my new shelves up.

Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello sneakers! We have hazy skies today. I am sure it is due to the smoke from wildfires burning in California. The smoke from Our devastating fire seems to drifting east and north. Glad you are staying inside Anne. As much as you might enjoy getting out, the smoke and heat is just not healthy.

Damon finished up the canvas redo and had a sail on Sunday. He said it was wonderful. I will just hold my breath that no one gets sick. Everyone was totally vaccinated but those variants don’t seem to care. He was out door the whole time but there were periods when he didn’t wear a mask. I am totally terrified about that virus, as you know!

I am continuing my exercises inside. I have a fan blowing on me to keep me cool and air coming my way. I have an air purifier and the funny thing is…when it is working, you never know. The air doesn’t smell and things just seem normal.

I see a thrift store is open that serves the local mental and physical health services. It is a for profit company. I am considering making that my place to donate stuff. I will investigate. My donation boxes are overflowing with good stuff I don’t want or need. I refuse to just throw good useable items away. I think there has to be someone who wants these things. There used to be a thrift store to benefit our animal shelter. I will check on that!

I think this is another salad day. It feels like the heat is building up.
    Stay safe and consider a mask if you must go out. What would it hurt……
    Patsy☘️

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,125 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hello. One post disappeared earlier. Giving it another try.

Jackie, I am sorry for your friend’s loss. Losing a furry companion is never easy to get through. Sending condolences to Jaime. Goodbye to your spice cabinet and welcome to your new shelves and containers. Ooh, masking tape can be difficult. The paint dries on it and can cause problems. I hope your paint arrives soon AND that the electrician shows up as promised.

Patsy, Damon’s sailing adventure sounds exciting and he must be so happy to have things fixed up. I also hope he stays healthy. It is always unknown these days isn’t it. But they were outdoors a lot, I think he will be fine. We had haze this morning as well and we were told it was smoke wafting towards us from fires out West.

Anne, stay safe my friend. I hate the polluted air but your sounds much worse. Our temperatures are heading up again today. About 86 degrees F right now. I will be watering again this evening. Do you have any flowers that need to be watered? Or perhaps it is not dry enough yet to think about that?

Today is texting and emailing with friends day. But no phone calls. 🤣😂🤣

Be well everyone. Figuring out the path to follow is not at all easy these days. Enjoy everything!

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

35vdi449ub4l.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Hi LIN we are in for a thunderstorm this evening so the temperatures should drop overnight to a more reasonable 80 but even that is too warm for me. We had a few bang bangs [Beans words she understands for thunder] this afternoon and I'm about to eat supper [tea time] because once eaten and out of the way she's perfectly fine if she can cuddle up. Hopefully a good rain storm will clear the air with a much nicer day tomorrow.
    Anne.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Well the bang bangs of last night kept me and the Bean awake and today having dropped oatmeal on her jam jams this dirty old lady is stumbling like the village zombie to the bathroom.
    However, after all the rain the air is fresher and joy, it is much cooler.
    Hope you all have a lovely day and maybe, just maybe I'll be back later IF something earth shattering happens.
    Anne. sleep deprived in Ontario.

• pinkperil
    Options
    Our hot weather continues but looks like thunder storms (bang bangs 😆) arriving Friday night. I love the sunshine and am managing to obey the stay out of the sun order from my surgeon but it’s currently almost impossible to stay outside anyway even in the shade so I’ve been busy putting my kitchen shelves up for the spices and working my way round the snug staring at the walls and finding any patches that require extra paint.
    I’ve stripped my bed so the laundry can switch on early tomorrow and will now vacuum, dust and remake the bed. Last night it was so warm George, Betty and I slept on top of the duvet and 6.30 this morning I took them round the village for a walk. Emma the dog walker that took them out after my recent operation drove past and we waved merrily to each other. She’s obviously decided to get out early too before it gets too hot for the pooches she walks.

Patsy, I have a similar quandary with items I don’t need… what to do with it all. Our charity shops have become business minded so pick and choose what they think might sell and put hefty prices on them. Gone are the days to rummage and find little gems. There is a local lady that sells items for her chosen charity so I’ll maybe contact her.
    COVID isn’t going away any time soon I’m afraid and I’ll continue to wear a mask in shops and hopefully be offered a booster jab in the Autumn.

Sandy must be on her way home soon so I’ll wave and shout Bon Voyage!

Another pretty teapot Lin. ☺️ The masking tape has been almost more trouble than it was worth but I’ll work round the ceiling this evening with a small paint brush and give my neck a crick yet again! I’ll have to have a rethink before I start on the dining room which is a bigger room!

Put your feet up and have a snooze Anne! 🥱

Gone 4pm so I’ll tidy my bedroom ready for another restless night!

Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,078 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) On the road heading to a hotel in Shepherdsville Kentucky which is about 3 or 4 hours. Getting to hotel early so kids can swim and chill out after being in car for so long. Stopping for lunch soon since our last hotel didn’t have free breakfast as we swore they did. I was not very nice to the lady at desk and told her for the money I paid their hotel was *kitten*!! The next one had free breakfast and an indoor pool. Tomorrow will be our last leg of our road trip. The car ride is better than the hotel because they are strapped in. Lol! Just eat a lot of snacks.
    Here’s a view of part of our drive in Tennessee.

57a79z2bbh7c.jpeg

Have a great day!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello! A nice cool morning right now. Not sure what the afternoon looks like. Maybe a bit warm because we have sun and no rain in the forecast. We really need a nice summer rain for those poor firefighters and our “bootleg fire.” It is 30% contained currently but that is quite tenuous. And subject to disastrous change by minute by minute. Pray for rain but not too much at once please…..

Today is our day to chat with son, Damon. We normally chat by phone on Wednesday and Sunday. But since he has the boat cleaned up and ready for summer sailing, that usually happens on the weekend. We will change up our chat schedule. Not sure how that will be. I miss talking to him on Sunday but thrilled that he can sail again. His crew is vaccinated and when they stop for an evening potluck meal, they eat at a picnic table at the marina. Staying outside and masking up when inside is their new boating regulation.everyone is still very cautious because we are “not out of the woods yet.”

Katie and I are in negotiations about her toenails. They need to be much shorter. That requires frequent trimming. A big strong 70 pound wimp can scream, growl, struggle, threaten to bite and writhe all at the same time. She is convinced I plan on cutting off her legs. I will preserver and I will get it done but by golly, this is just crazy! A toenail should not hurt when trimmed. I have now trimmed one foot. Three to go and I still have to do the front feet. Oh my! Front feet are the most sensitive. Why? I am getting very cross and cranky. This should only take a couple of minutes under most circumstances.

I need a break from dog pedicure chores. Later! Right now a change of music and a large mug of coffee and Katie and I need to have an understanding and pleasant game of ball before it gets too warm this afternoon. I am making veggie (onions, olives, mushrooms, bell peppers, and fresh tomatoes) , pasta tonight with garlic toast and red grapes for dessert. I can do without the toast but John will need it.
    Sandy: traveling with three kids sounds like torture for the grownups as well as the kids. You and daughter in law are brave and strong to take it on. I would be crying, the kids would be crying and everyone would be ready to jump in an airplane with masks tapes to Their littles faces. Just kidding but that is tough duty!

Jackie: I did the same thing when painting walls. I came along with a small paint brush and a special bright flashlight hunting for spots etc to add more paint. Tedious and back breaking task!
    Patsy☘️