Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,257 Member
    Happy Monday!😀 Up early to go to museum. Later dinner with John and Laurie.
    Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,874 Member
    edited March 2022
    Hello Joy! One of my posts that took flight into the ether a few days ago contained a welcome so I’ll say again, WELCOME!

Much cooler today with high cloud so as we say in England after a couple of sunny days this time of year, well, that’s summer over! Our walk was early after I drove George and Betty to the field that contains the Quoit then I did a detour to the farm supply shop to pick up pellets and corn for the chooks.

I met Katie at Chrissie’s cottage, did a lateral flow test that was negative, then we went to visit Chrissie. Her mind is still clear but her body has disappeared and she is on high doses of intravenous morphine. It’s all a massive change in such a short time. She managed a smile when she heard I was there but then drifted in and out of consciousness so I pray for her sake, it won’t be too long. I told her about bumping into Heather last week as she walked Bella and how settled her little dog was now she’s in her forever home. We stayed about 20 minutes and laughed when she pulled a face at the mention of a previous visitor she was never fond of! Everything at her cottage is as it was when she left to go to the hospital so it’s going to be heartbreaking for whoever clears up and closes the door. Katie is doing a fabulous job taking care of so much but was advised by a cancer care nurse who popped in while we were with Chrissie and also offers support to family and friends, to expect to come down with a bump when she dies.

So, I’m back home feeling down and have no enthusiasm for the garden or housework so what the heck!

Patsy, Chrissie had a fascinating life, married quite young to, as she says, get away from her domineering mother. They lived in Kenya and it sounds like life was good for a while but she and her husband gradually drifted apart. It’s become obvious I didn’t meet her at a good time in her life but she is creative, sociable, caring and has a wicked sense of humour. Lots of genuine loving friends which has been important because she has struggled with family relationships. We have talked about life and death so I’m aware she’s philosophical about her cancer returning and Katie told me she has been talking openly about dying, who needs to be told and where she wants her funeral to be held. Nothing conventional that’s for sure!

Sandy and Anne, I’ve been typing and saving as I go so thanks for the idea; it seems to be working.

Lin, I’ll check out Dan’s Instagram (as if I know what I’m talking about ).

Sorry to go on! It’s looking brighter so perhaps any rain will miss us. I’ll check in with the hens then make a cuppa and catch up on The Oscars news.

Cherish each day. ❤️
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,350 Member
    edited March 2022
    Good afternoon. It is cold and gray here today. Weather may stay cold and wet this week. One of this weeks, it will get warmer for more than one day at a time. 😁

I did pick up my grocery and supply order. Most items were included! 🙌🏻🙌🏻 I was starving though when I got home so I fussed about and made my lunch. Still having a bite now and then but when I finish eating and writing this post, I will get back to stowing my supplies.

I also stopped by the library to return a book and to pick up a couple of holds. While I was out, I also mailed some letters.

That’s it for errands for a few days unless my prescription is ready to pick up.

Jackie, your day sounds emotionally exhausting. I am glad you were able to visit Chrissie even though she was on a heavy dose of medication. Thanks for telling us more about her. Cuddle with your pets. Tomorrow will be a new day.

Sandy, I hope you have an enjoyable day at the museum and a lovely dinner with your son and wife. ❤️❤️

Greetings and best wishes to Patsy, Barbie, Diane, Joy and Anne. Did I miss anyone?

Hugs….

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A lovely setting💜💜
    14ig9rt08xsn.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Oh JACKIE, you had me teary eyed as you wrote about Chrissie. It reminded me of my poor lovely Dad. It sounds as though, like him, she had a life that wasn't wasted.

Lin, lovely indeed. Lilacs and a pretty teapot, who could ask for anything more! A reminder of what is to come! We woke up to minus 10 centigrade this morning. Hello to everyone and I hope its a little warmer in your neck of the woods. Hello to JOY, I guess I know what your Mom was thinking when she first cradled you!

I've been watching the London Blitz on Public Television and it brought back a few memories of us huddled in the Anderson shelter as the bombs rained down first on the city of Hull and then on us as the enemy planes lightened their load of remaining bombs to escape the royal airforce boys and gallop back over the North Sea. Who would have thought! in this "enlightened" age.!!!!!!

Well enough, I've just cooked a yam towards Jilly and my supper. Oh and girls I've actually dug out all my old art gear to set up in the back room. My version of PATSYs dungeon. I wonder how Patsy got on at the docs with her poor hip? Less painful we all hope!

ANNE.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dears! Cloudy again. Yesterday it cleared in the late afternoon. It was glorious! Maybe today will be the same. Not sure, I didn’t really check the official weather prediction and satellite images.

As I thought, I called the doc this morning and he is swamped and only works mornings now. I called the local pt rehab place and described my problem. There is an orthopedic doctor coming in two weeks. He is one of the traveling docs from our big hospital in Portland. Oregon Health State University. The medical school in Oregon. Great reputation but their docs only make periodical trips to rural areas. There might be a possibility of a pt person that could do home visits until I could get into the car and go to either hospital or pt rehab. Disturbing phone calls but like the old saying…this is the land of you are on your own! Meanwhile I am doing what I can and it doesn’t seem to be causing anything to become more painful or stressful.

The following is my take on the academy awards…just skip it, it might be boring to most of you.
    Interesting Academy awards. Off the wall crazy, in my opinion. The winning movie, while sweet and I like the fact that deaf people are given a chance at movie roles, the story is rather simplistic and the there wasn’t any real art direction in this movie. It felt like the awards were doing their political safe thing. The opening coordinated dance production was stunning! The three hosts didn’t work for me. But good to have hosts again. The different awards were scattered around among so any movies
    It was as if none of the movies were really very good. The fashion on the actors was a sight behold. It must be a new rule…show as much as possible. John worked on our tax documents and would occasionally tune in, his comment came about some of the fashion….”WOAH!”

Thank you all for your sweet words of concern and support. Losing mobility and near constant pain drives one mad. I am sure Jackie knows about hip pain. This event really makes me appreciate her strength and stoic resolve. Your encouraging words mean a great deal to me.
    Patsy☘️🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎬

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :) We just came home from getting our second shingles shot. Expensive but worth it for the peace of mind 🌞🎵🎶
  • JillyBurg7
    One can get shingles more than once, so I am considering the shot as well BARBIE. ANNE.
  • linder4866
    edited March 2022
    Nothing exciting here. Cold and gray, storms possible later today. I have household chores to tend to today including the never ending laundry 😄😄

Barbie, glad you and Jake got your second shingles shot. I will get mine later in the spring if possible. Probably in May.

Anne, yes, apparently shingles is not a one and done type of thing. Is Canada administering the 2 dose Shingrix?

My doctor told me, during my appointment, that as soon as the second Covid booster is approved for older folks, I should definitely get the shot.

I feel like I am being stuck with a needle every time I turn around!

Patsy, I am not sure how things were left at the end of the conversation. Will the PT office call you back to arrange some appointments for you? Hang on my friend. Keep checking in with the doctors. Sending healing thoughts and prayers. ❤️❤️

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Japanese style tea set? With a broken cup added for interest?

lx4znnl0gh50.jpeg
  • linder4866
    Oh Jackie, sad news on Facebook regarding Max.

“We’ve always said when it comes to our dogs their health and well being is paramount and we want to be honest with you all at this difficult time
    Max had another major vestibular attack last night and has taken to the emergency vets. He’s home now and very sleepy.
    Our very special boy has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and whilst some medication may help his condition, at his age we won’t be looking at any invasive procedures nor will we prolong any suffering on his part.
    Please we ask we need time to come to terms with this heartbreaking and devastating news, my boy is over fourteen and a half and we know what the final outcome will bring.
    We would ask you please do not private message us, we will let you know how things progress from this page.”

34tng8r7m4iu.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    edited March 2022
    Happy Tuesday!! :) The museum was fun but tiring we were there from 10am to almost 4pm. We came home rested a short time and went to dinner. Tired today but Laurie has her appointment with her migraine doctor at two so I am doing nothing. I think they want to go to Indian restaurant in my area so I will just eat one of my lean cuisine dinners. Will either play games or Laurie is catching up on show I recorded for her that she doesn't get at her home. They leave tomorrow so I am going to Joe's assisted living place to have lunch with him there since he doesn't want to go out to a restaurant. At 98 he can do whatever he wants in my opinion. lol

Lin, I too, will get the 2nd booster when it becomes available. Still trying to find a way to get shingles shot but maybe after Babe moves in and I get more money I will be able to make an appointment. It is cold here as well with rain expected Wednesday and Thursday. I am ready for Arizona.

Anne, yes, I had shingles about 20 years ago but it lays dormant and can come back again. I will get it just as soon as I can financially.

Barbie, glad you were able to get the shingles shot.

Patsy, I too, am confused with your doctor's appointment. Are you able to get to ER or urgent care or are they sending someone to you. Wouldn't they have to do an xray or MRI before therapy? Hope all works out for you. I did enjoy the Awards and the three lady hosts. Some of it was just too long and some was funny especially them saying they hope Florida has a gay, gay, gay time. Will Smith went over the edge even though Kid Rock was wrong in what he said about his wife. Sometimes comedians just go to far.
    The dresses were ridiculous on some, no reason to show the world your boobs and some were not that good. lol

Jackie, I hope you are okay and if you heard bad news today I am sorry.

Have a good day and keep staying safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    edited March 2022
    Hello friends. News came early this morning that Chrissie had died peacefully in the early hours. It’s so sad but I’m relieved for her to finally be out of pain. I messaged Katie to offer any help she might need in the next few weeks.
    I decided it was best to keep busy which was an easy option after Betty was sick several times in the night. While I was visiting Chrissie yesterday she had found a pack of bird feed fat balls and eaten a couple of them, both the size of a tennis ball! What a mess even after I had done my best to scoop, wipe and dispose of most of it at 5am! She wasn’t fed until about half an hour ago (6pm) to give her stomach time to settle. More emails have been flying concerning our unpleasant man at the allotments so that took some time but then I decided my garden was the best place to be. The timber I brought back from the allotments has been arranged where it needs to go and more weeding done. A couple of phone calls in between sent me in to put the kettle on so a relaxing day.

Oh Lin, that’s so sad about Max, it brought a tear to my eye. We all know how heartbreaking it is to say goodbye to our furry best friends and I understand why his family can’t cope with questions or comments at the moment. He’s enjoyed a wonderful life but that doesn’t ease the raw pain but it does appear they will know when the time is right. I hope he can be buried in the area he loved to run.
    Your green Japanese tea set reminds me of green marzipan for some reason, the sort that’s in German chocolate Santas at Christmas so I’m now craving one!

Thanks for thinking of me Sandy. Although it’s all happened so quickly that’s ok in a way because I have fresh memories of our cheerful chats and would not have wanted her to suffer. I’ll tell you an amusing moment from our visit yesterday which Chrissie wouldn’t mind. She awoke at one point and said loudly what sounded like I want to go now so Katie asked did she mean herself or us but she didn’t respond so I said are you telling us to P… off Chrissie and she giggled before going back to sleep!

Anne, I think it’s probably the same Blitz programme I watched before Christmas. Amazing anything remained of London docks area after the incendiary bombs fell. Such brave firefighters, much like today!

Patsy, I had in mind that I was due hip replacements so that saw me through, counting the days but this afternoon I spoke to my friend Richard who got slammed by a five bar gate during one of our storms and was convinced he had dislocated or broken his hip but he’s been told x-rays show no damage so he continues to struggle on 2 walking sticks. Apparently has an appointment with a physio in 3 weeks so it seems the same problems exist worldwide… everything blamed on Covid! I feel your pain lovey and the lack of mobility and sleep that goes with it. ❤️ Their son is home with a second Covid infection in about 5 months so I’m thinking a booster is something to consider.

After Anne’s experience I can understand everyone seeking Shingles vaccinations.

Time to eat my evening meal. Something very light.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Lin, very sad news about Max. He sounds like he lived an amazing life but even so it is always heartbreaking to let them go. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Sandy
  • JillyBurg7
    A sad day report from JACKIE. I'm so glad Chrissie is out of pain and even managed a giggle with Jackie and Katie yesterday. I don't know why but Chrissie has affected me such a lot, poor lady.

A sad day for the doggies and their owners as well, but Betty appears to have recovered. How do you manage to separate George and Betty at meal times, especially when Betty is barred from eating after being sick? Separate rooms I guess.

I spent quite a while this afternoon shopping, online I quickly add!
    I started off here and saw nothing that appealed so I ended up once again at dear old M&S where I spotted summer tops/tees which did appeal. Now, come on Spring, I want to get into the garden! Just have to find a summer brimmed straw garden hat!

We are finally warming up to 0 after starting off this morning at minus 9. The temps soar on Thursday and then plummet again. Despite the cold Mike and Sandy spotted a tick on little dog Amber after her walk. Quickly removed. She is a white curly haired dog. I don't know how I'll spot anything on jet black Jilly.

Today is Marks physio day, so a very quiet day here with Mike at work doing month end and Mary Jo also at work with Canada tax end. Makes me feel positively lazy!!!!
    ANNE

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello again dear sneakers! We have high thin clouds and my hope of seeing the sun peeking thru is fast disappearing. But no drizzle. It is quite chilly so it is sweater weather.

John is off to the dentist once again(I believe they have become fast friends ,now) Then a quick trip to the post office and drug store and home again for dinner. I will try to hobble around and fix some sort of dinner for us. I have loaded the washing machine and fed Katie her morning snack. John and I had cereal for breakfast but we really don’t have lunch. At best, a small cup of fruit or a yoghurt cup. So meals are quite easy generally. One good meal a day! Done!

But now the ugly part. The orthopedic doc will come to our town in late April or early May. I have an appointment with him. I can’t get pt until I see him or some other doc that okays pt. That usually involves X-rays or some other imagery diagnosis. In the meantime our primary care doc has given me a very small (6) prescription of pain pills. I will save these for extreme emergency events. The pt that I called asked a few unofficial questions and offered a few YouTube channels with exercises and chats on hip issues. And that, dear friends, is the extent of my assistance. When I said” I am in the land of, I am on my own!” I was not kidding. The hip is a tiny bit better. I can stand on it. I can painfully walk. There are times when it is much better, then there are times when it is scary painful. I have hopes that since it appears to be better, some of the problem has to be my arthritis interfering in this whole dilemma. Enough about this!!!! Argh!

Jackie: I am so sorry about Chrissie. You were a good friend and she must have felt that as well. Sweet Bella has a new home complete with friends. That must have been a comfort for Chrissie.

Anne: I understand how you feel about shots. Life is a gamble. I hate shots but I think I would rather not risk getting Covid or shingles again. I had not considered getting a shingles shot until Barbie advised us to think about it. Right now just getting out of the house is a painful scary undertaking.

Sandy: I predict that while life will change for you soon, I think you will make the best of it for both you and Babe. You are a true people person. I think you are happiest when surrounded by family. But are’t we all that way? I Think so!

Lin: the tea set reminds me of that old movie, Tea house of the August moon. The beautiful old doggie brought so much joy to everyone. He was a special friend to many many people worldwide.

Joy: did your favorite win the award? I want to try to see King Richard. Not too sure about the Eyes of Tammy Faye………

Massage and stretches and YouTube.
    Patsy☘️😐

• jacAth3
    A freezing sea mist rolled in this morning so gloves and hat were back on for our walk on the moors. I climbed to the top, which made my legs ache, hoping to get above the mist but then had to be careful we didn’t get lost! George got lots of zoomies in while Betty trotted behind me. Back in the car park I saw dog walker David drive in so we chatted for a few minutes and made a plan to walk in local woods called Respryn once we get some settled, warm weather and Spring flowers are out. I dropped into our farm shop to buy cabbage and carrots for an Instagram cook in this evening when Dan and Victoria will show us how to make a Ukrainian dish called Kapusniak. Should be fun so long as I understand how Instagram works.
    Betty was sick again last night on yet another carpet but seems settled today and so far kept her breakfast down. Anne, George and Betty eat at separate times as well as completely different dishes so over time I’ve taught Betty she is not allowed to eat from George’s or Brady’s dishes. I place them on the counter if anything is left. Vigilance is the name of the game!
    Now you mention M&S new season clothes i will have to plan a shopping trip to Plymouth! I’ve been looking for a summer straw hat for gardening the past couple of years. I know exactly what I want but it doesn’t seem to exist.

Coffee has brewed so I’ll sit outside now that chilly mist has lifted and the sun is shining and make plans for the day. Might achieve a couple!

Happy Wednesday. Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Good, [still chilly] morning.
    Well what a day yesterday was! After all the bad news my old friend Flo phoned. I haven't been able to get in touch with Flo for some time so I was quite surprised to hear her somewhat gruff voice on the phone. She phoned to tell me that another old friend from our past life has suffered the loss of her son who was only Marks age. 57. A heart attack.
    I was beginning to think Flo maybe wasn't suffering from early dementia when she informed me she was 102 years old. You can't be I said, you are 5 years younger than me and I know I'm not 107! However she insisted she really was 102 and me who was beginning to think I was looking a bit rough around the edges now thinks I don't look half bad for a 107 year old! One of us has to be right! She gets her house cleaned and all meals provided with her shopping done. Whereas me [and you Sneakers] are still plodding on normally with me contemplating digging up the day lilies and half the lawn to plant tomato seeds and veggies kindly donated by Mary Jo from her left over stock.
    Its a straw sun hat I want JACKIE. Let me know if you find one and vice versa.
    Nearly had a PATSY disaster during the night. Hope you feel a good deal better today Patsy. I woke up in the middle of the night to find that little wee Jilly had her very short legs planted in my back and was wiggling and wriggling to push me away as she found a comfier spot in the middle of the double bed. I saved myself by clinging to mattress and sheets and thus not falling out. I think the solution is to find a way to put the side of the bed against a wall, but how? with a big G-plan chest and dresser in a very small bedroom not designed for G-plan UK furniture. Mikes going to have a think during his next visit. Unless he can magically shrink things, good luck Mike. What we do for our pets. I can see Michael suggesting the solution is for me to donate the chest of drawers for his sparsely furnished condo!
    Well my hair is just about dry after the shower so I'll away.
    Have a lovely day everybody!
    ANNE
  • JillyBurg7
    IT'S SNOWING.....AGAIN.....AARGH! Anne,
  • Sandydur
    Happy Wednesday! :) John and Laurie left at 9am in hopes of missing some rain that is predicted. It was great having them here and will see if they will stay with me when Babe moves in. They are hesitant as of now but seem to be loosing up a bit. Laurie's migraine doctor told her she doesn't have to come back for six months instead of three as she seems to be doing better so good news for her.
    Joe called this morning to change our lunch date to dinner at 4:30 in his dining room. He said they are having sloppy joes for lunch but chicken tenders for dinner which he prefers so I agreed. Now i have time to do the sheets and towels from my guests.

Anne, snow? We might get some snow showers tomorrow. What happened to Spring? We had one beautiful day and the rest have been horrible. Please don't attempt to move any furniture by yourself, let the boys figure it out. Are you sure you are not 107? Better look at your birth certificate. LOL

Jackie, sorry to hear Betty is not feeling well, maybe a little pepto bismol for her tummy. Good luck with your cooking let us know how it turns out.

Patsy, I am so sorry you have to wait so long to be looked at from an orthopedic. I do wish you could manage to get to an ER or urgent care but understand how painful that would be. Yes, I love being with family but must admit it is always good to get my house back to myself with my usual routines. That is the only part that scares me a little with Babe but I am sure I will adjust and he will too.

Hello to everyone I missed and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• linder4866
    edited March 2022
    Hi, my WiFi has been going on and off so I hope I will be able to write and post this message. I fussed with things quite a bit but nothing seemed to help. It had to just come back on its own.

I did a number of little things today. I called to schedule next year’s appointment with my doctor. I researched interest rates and then renewed a CD online. I talked to my pharmacy regarding scheduling my second shingles shot. They will not schedule it although they did give me an appointment for the first one. I must just drop by and see if they have time to administer a shot. The only appointments are for Covid shots. They gave me a day and time that is usually okay as they have a fairly full staff scheduled. I also am putting final touches on early April birthday cards.

Also chopped fresh veggies and made mushroom gravy/sauce. That is really good! It had been a long time since I made a batch. Actually it is too tasty, it will not last long. I also cooked a package of frozen zucchini swirls. Those were very good.

I was able to get the YouTube cooking video on my phone. It was interesting. Jackie, I think they may actually pay you a visit! That would be exciting. And I want photos!! I am sorry Betty has had a rough patch. I guess any of us can eat things that just do not work for us. I hope she doesn’t do anything like that again.

It was another windy and overcast day. Snow is expected overnight. Only a couple of inches are forecast. We will see.

Sandy, I hope you had a nice dinner with Joe. I bet he loved his gift! I am glad to hear Laurie’s doctor says things are improving so that fewer appointments will be needed. Did you get your laundry finished?

Anne, what a surprise to hear from Flo. Well, she got some things right but definitely not the age! No, Jilly, you cannot push Anne out of bed. Methinks perhaps she should sleep in a nice fluffy bed on the floor and let you have all of your bed.

Anne and Jackie, I hope you find new hats for this spring/summer🤞🏻

Patsy, thinking of you and still wishing some medical professional would be able to see you sooner. ❤️❤️

I didn’t see other posts but if there are some, sorry, they aren’t showing up for me.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Look at all of these teapots!
    xq67k7ui38kj.jpeg

• jacAth3
    A shock to my system this morning because a bitterly cold north easterly gale was blowing across the moors so even a thick sweater plus a jacket with a fleece lining couldn’t stop it freezing me. It was the first time I’ve been aware Betty was in a hurry to get back to the car while George in his thick, fluffy coat was content to potter and sniff every blade of grass. Our month of March got things all wrong this year as it’s been more a case of ‘in like a lamb, out like a lion’ rather than the official line!
    A good day to stay indoors so housework will be carried out. Betty has finally emptied her system of bird fatty balls thank goodness… until the next time!!

I did enjoy the Ukrainian cookery lesson although we weren’t often shown the pan or what Victoria was chopping so lots of guess work. My kitchen is small so lots of grating and chopping in a hurry to keep up meant I had lots of clearing up once we finished, even off the floor! A good job I’ve got hens so nothing will be wasted!
    I didn’t buy pork belly but instead used a lean loin chop so it should be more healthy than typical east European peasant food! I’m planning to heat up a bowl for lunch today.

Lin, it would be great to meet Dan and his family but Imagine their priorities are getting Veronica settled in a school and a property they can stay in until the carnage stops.
    I read today the latest Omicron variant is sneaking up on some people to give them a 2nd outbreak so perhaps infection rates won’t reduce for a long, long time. Peace of mind is very important so I hope you can get that 2nd shingles shot.

Anne, you must feel relief that you have talked to your friend Flo at long last even if she was a bit confused. You certainly don’t look or act like a 107 year old so we’ll give you the benefit of the doubt! We are so lucky to have avoided any form of dementia and also be able to make plans to grow our own veggies. My Red Russian Kale and courgette seedlings are almost ready to be planted out so hopefully the freezing temperatures won’t hang around for long.
    ldnc2wxz7egn.jpg

Sandy, I hope Joe enjoyed his birthday evening meal with you. I bet he loved his present! It’s understandable your family will worry about you getting hurt again but perhaps once they see life with Babe working out they’ll relax about your decision.

I do hope Patsy is continuing to cope with that ghastly hip pain and Barbie is enjoying walks in those birthday socks!

Time for lunch then attack that housework.
    Jackie