Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello young campers! How goes? We have chilly but sunny weather. Almost spring. That lovely girl is hiding in the bushes, just out of sight.

First my medical report. My hip is now diagnosed as hip bursitis. It will doubtless be chronic and the medicine of choice is exercises and stretches with a very occasional aspirin for inflammation. Occasionally painful but manageable right now. It is as suspected to be part of my condition…arthritis! Allergies are part of life. We all deal them. However,I am so ready to think of something else more interesting.

I think I have found a lawn care company. Fingers crossed.

Anne: a well fitting shirt! Perfect. There are no shirts that please me. My body is shaped like a hobbit. I am short and round. Big feet and short hair that will not behave.

Jackie: planting anything and seeing it thrive is such a huge pleasure. I feel like a mother hen clucking around any little green babies growing in the dirt. And now you have your own allotment..

Ooooooops my lawn guy is calling. Wish me luck. This is beyond lawn care. This is beating the jungle back.
    Patsy☘️
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    Unique teapot indeed LIN!
    Rabbit on the first of a month!! I was taught as a child that you said "white rabbits" as soon as you awoke and before you said anything else for good luck. If you said something before and then said "white rabbits" you were doomed for the rest of the month. This has had the effect of keeping me ever mentioning rabbits of any sort on the 1st of any month ever since. Somebody must have broken this golden rule because it is snowing and will all morning.

Mark and MJ turned up and we viewed with interest the activity next door at Harrys old house. 7 cars arrived and out tumbled folks armed with rakes and shears etc. They proceeded to cut back bushes, rake up leaves, and tidy up generally in front and back. This makes us think a For Sale notice will go up next week now that the house and garden are transformed. But as our Sandy said later, "who will buy when they realize the state the house was in before".

I can see much barking in my future with prospective buyers rolling up.

We've just had our chicken and porridge. Me the porridge and blueberries if anyone is wondering who ate what. I can't see anyone turning up today with snow forecast so I think I'll strip my bed and wash the sheets and Jilly's blanket.
    ANNE
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    A heavy frost greeted me this morning so I spent a leisurely hour of ablutions including hair wash before returning to the picturesque walk we enjoyed yesterday. In spite of the cold air, the skylarks were twittering high above the golden gorse flowers. I’ve now had an early cheese and tomato sandwich lunch so that I can return to building the raised beds. One corner was a mess so I will take that section apart and start again.

At home as a child we only said the 3 times white rabbit on March 1st which just shows how these traditions alter over the years. I only learnt the other day that April Fools day possibly came about when France changed their calendar from the Julian to Gregorian but no one thought to tell the peasants who ended up celebrating Christmas on April 1st! Who knows if that’s true!

The thought of chicken and porridge does something to my insides and makes me feel queasy so I’m glad you let us know who eats what Anne!

I’m excited to hear how Patsy and John got on introducing their lawn to the fellow who will hopefully cut it. I bet Katie had something to say!!

A few clouds drifting over so I will get on with today’s task. I’m down to one teabag until I go shopping in the morning so will choose my afternoon tea break carefully.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Just finished watching mass and catching up on computer. Rob said he could handle the kids so I will probably pick Babe up to spend the day. Movie afternoon/night was good, we ate good and watched Sing2, a great movie especially for kids. But I love animation movies so I enjoyed it.
    Nothing else exciting going on today and I hope to ride my bike even if Babe is here because I am off schedule when he visits.

Jackie, gosh I wish I lived close to you I have about 8 boxes of tea that I never drink. Do they go bad with time?

Anne, aren't you sick of snow and winter? It seems winter gets longer and longer every year. They did remodel the house next door didn't they? Here, houses are selling way above listing cost, it is definitely a sellers market but not for the buyer. Good for you staying at the same weight, I wish I could say the same.

Patsy, who made the diagnosis on your hip? Maybe that is what I have on the left side of my back. It goes away with Aleve so it can't be serious but I don't want to take Aleve every day as it is bad for your liver.

Lin, interesting teapot, I am sure I would drop it pouring tea. I do not pack until the day before I leave because I don't want my clothes to get all wrinkled. I mentally pack but this trip will be easy as it will be more casual. I still have to figure out where to put all Babe's clothes because I have a walk in closet full of my own clothes. lol

Time to eat and text Rob to make sure he doesn't need me before calling Babe. Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    Options
    Gosh Sandy, all that tea going to waste! I think over time it loses its flavour but in a sealed box it should be fine for years. Never mind, I made a large cup and sipped slowly and will have a small can of cider, fruit juice mix with my evening meal which is a Cornish pasty. I'm still in the process of emptying my freezer so that I can defrost and clean it.
    As for the raised bed, first the drill ran out of energy so I had to recharge it, then I ran out of the right size of wood screws but at least I've cleared the area and dug everything over ready for my final attempts to connect the sides! My tomato, pepper and courgette seeds are doing well and this evening I sowed climbing French beans and sat the trays in my electric propagator so am feeling excited about my mini garden allotment!
    s5askpqz2bpe.jpeg

It's a beautiful evening but already getting chilly. No frost in the morning though because rain is due around 5am so it will be a good day for housework!
    Happy Sunday.
    Jackie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Dreary morning. Cold, windy, and cloudy. We have an “on again-off again” kind of week coming up. Actually this is to be a very nice day. It is our official,anniversary! We have a shrimp cocktail waiting in the fridge along with a bottle of sparkling champagne. A container of John’s favorite cherry delux ice cream and my fudge chocolate cookies as an addition. Good grief! We will “waddle”into the living room and have a phone chat with son Damon and daughter Andrea. John had a bouquet of lovely flowers delivered yesterday, sweet crazy man! We have been married so long I can’t remember when we were not together.

My hip bursitis was looked at by a nurse practitioner who works at our doc’s office. Also a phone chat with our doc. It was a depressing visit and I got that feeling I get these days…”you are old so we aren’t going to spend too much time worrying about your problems.” I looked up on the health sites and even John’s Hopkins site. All the symptoms seem spot on! The stretches and exercises do help.
    So HI-HO! To my dungeon and hanging on my ballet bar! Before we have our phone chats with our kids.

We are to have the lawn care guy come and look at some of the tree trimming etc we need attended to. He will look at the jobs at hand and make a bid. We have quite an acreage and a long drive-way and tree lined road. No small job here. And John hates turning it over to someone else. Our old wolf is very territorial. This is very hard for him.

Lin: ooooooooh I love that tea pot! I get so tempted to add to my already super crowded China cabinet. You are so wonderful to find and share these tea pots. It is everyone’s fun activity. Looking at Lin’s teapot pictures.

Anne: the rabbit saying is completely new to me. And we have a huge list of crazy superstitions. Even John and our kids follow the family traditions and must-dos. Most of ours came from my Irish grandmother who was barely educated and had a world of nutty ideas.

Jackie: your green babies are up and doing well. Your allotment will be full of happy growing veggies. You must keep us informed about your harvests. Katie is a loud and scary sounding watch dog. If really confronted, we are not sure what she would do. She has never bitten anyone but she has been very aggressive sounding. Our vet says she is warning people that whatever is happening is totally unacceptable to her. So be prepared. We try NEVER to put her in a situation that is so threatening to her. 99% of the time she just a loud excited puppy. Of course, we picked the doggie mental case when we bought Katie.

Hello to Barbie, Diane, and Joy! How are you all doing?
    Patsy☘️🦮🥂🍨🍤
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,095 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Happy anniversary Patsy and John.

💐💐🌷🌷💐💐 enjoy your treats

Patsy, I am glad you were able to see a nurse practitioner and a doctor even if they don’t seem to pay enough attention to us. At least you know you are doing the right things. ❤️👍🏻👍🏻❤️ I also hope you are able to get a lawn guy to take care of all the jobs on your list. And that the lawn service does a good job.

Jackie, I have plenty of teabags although you might not like my varieties of tea. 😁 Get to the store first thing tomorrow. A person needs tea on hand! (And I need coffee as well.). Your plants look stupendous! I am almost ready to plant seed. I have my artificial light and the containers sit on a germination mat and they sprout up quite fast. Those mats are superb. I was prowling through my seeds and found some flower seeds I ordered last June. They were ordered from Ukraine. I didn’t make any notes and the packet has information on the back—in Ukrainian and Russian. 🤦🏼‍♀️ She also out in a little packet of Gypsophila. Assume they are the annuals although I understand there are some perennials. Should I be fearful to plant stuff from another country? 😉

z2hjd6eejd5m.jpeg

Kerry is asking for prayers and all best wishes for Max tonight. They put Max on a steroid drug and he has been soldiering on with a wagging tail and still walking a bit. This photo is just wonderful. Kerry and Max, sunsets 🧡🧡 are always the best colors.

op3f0qu1jlgz.jpeg

Sandy, I hope you have a good afternoon with Babe. It is funny about the rabbit thing. My friend was taught to say ‘rabbit’ before anything else on the first day of the month, I picked up the same habit at some point but with “rabbit, rabbit.” Everyone is different and there must be loads of different combinations. I understand not wanting wrinkles in your clothing by the way. I sort of meant grouping everything on hangers in one place in the closet. So you have a walk-in closet. Sweet!

Anne, what excitement once again. More fixing up on the house! Yes, spring will arrive someday, so getting ready to put out a sign is likely. It would be nice if Jilly would go easy on the barking. Not likely though. Is she letting you sleep in your bed now?

Hello Barbie, Joy, Diane and other Sneakers. I saw on Facebook that Shirley and her hubby are on vacation in Florida.

Be safe.
    Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

cfha0eia5ati.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Options
    To dear Patsy and John

4tz3ccxznvkx.png

You both show the world how it should be done! May you have many more years of togetherness. ❤️❤️
    Hugs across the pond… Jackie xx
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    A BIG DITTO from the other Brit on this side of the pond. Its so good to see two young people 60 odd years on and still caring and loving each other.
    A good example for us all.
    ANNE❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Patsy and John <3

2000687elr2o81na6.gif
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) More laundry today and then packing. Looking forward to doing nothing and laying by the pool. We will take Sandra out for a nice dinner one night and maybe do one tourist thing but basically just doing nothing since Sandra cannot walk far. She has a beautiful house which has a beautiful view of the mountains and a new puppy that is tinier than Jilly. I will be very happy.

Patsy, I agree with Anne and Jackie, I admire anyone who can make a marriage work for over 60 years.
    I only lasted 14 with my first marriage and this one is kind of messed up but although legally separated we are still married. You should be very proud of your marriage even with the ups and downs. Congratulations!!!

Lin, actually I do sort of pack as you describe, putting outfits together in my closet. Since I just came back from a hot weather vacation I will be basically bring the same clothes but not the skirts, I don't think. I really hate packing as I always over pack. Prayers for Max.

Jackie, my DIL drinks some of my tea but I only drink it when I am not feeling well. I am a coffee drinker and now that I switched to decaff I don't have tummy problems. Your plants look amazing and I am not a gardener and have no idea what a electric propagator is. lol

Hello to everyone else, I see on Facebook it is Shirley's birthday but I don't think she checks in here anymore. Have a good day and I will try to post from Arizona.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello, just finished another birthday card and got it out to the mailbox. Time to start the next one. April is a busy month for cards. Also need to address all of the Easter cards and write some little notes.

Sandy, your vacation sounds perfect to me. Not lots of running about but relaxing and visiting with Sandra and the new tiny puppy! What fun. And yes, it is Shirley’s birthday and I did wish her a HB on Facebook. I don’t know think she stops by to catch up on all of us. Best wishes on laundry and packing.

Wishing everyone a very a good day.

Must run along.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Beautiful carved teapot

2bepf5tfqdlf.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    Options
    I tried to post earlier but received a lot of those little signs off to the side telling me that there is a problem with my post and to try again. Very curious!

I want to thank you all dear ones for your anniversary wishes. We are indeed very lucky. We married right out of high school and immediately went to college. We were so busy we had no time for young married couple squabbles. We worked at part time jobs, went to class, did home work and tried to snatch a few hours of sleep when we could. So you see, education saved us! Young marriages usually don’t last. We also had a very supportive family. They actually occasionally sent us food care packages also with a bit of pocket money. That was like Christmas-birthday-winning the lottery all at once. it was fun to look back at those times.

Our weather is wet and wild today. Coyotes are in the neighborhood and Katie is terrified. She Is growling and barking and runs right back in the house after she does her business. Poor little girl has intruders on her property!
    Patsy and John☘️❤️🎶🎶🥰
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Off to bed as it’s nearly midnight but checking in first. It’s been a drizzly day and not particularly warm but I’ve enjoyed it by taking friend Linda to a garden centre that has a large restaurant for one of our coffee and cake mornings. As we chatted I became aware of a man looking from the next table with a big grin behind his mask and when he removed it I saw it was someone I worked with at the tv studios over 30 years ago. Social distancing was forgotten when he came over to give me the biggest hug before we had a quick catch up. He was with his father that I had met in the past, who is apparently just getting over Covid, so it was a special moment. Before we left I bought a fancy potted grass and birthday card for my friend Jill (Scruff’s mum) that I will deliver on Thursday, then we drove back for me to drop Linda home. She has a large Hebe shrub she thought I might like as it’s too big for her garden so I’ll have to work out if I have a place to plant it. We agreed to meet at the allotments late afternoon to dig up a couple of blueberry bushes from my plot and transfer them to hers and I collected a few more items to bring home, including a plastic container of teabags since I didn’t go to the supermarket as planned first thing.
    Baked chicken with noodles and steamed broccoli shoots for my evening meal in front of a log fire to warm my feet.

Lin, I love the look of those flower seeds from Ukraine and can’t imagine they would give your environment any problems. Such packets are mailed all around Europe and I consider that country to be modern and mostly agricultural. Perhaps photograph the back of the pack then put it on Instagram and ask Dan or Victoria to translate!
    Wow, that’s an incredible teapot… what could be described as all bells and whistles!

Just as well we don’t have Coyotes in Cornwall because I’m convinced George would feel he could confront them then end up in a pickle!

Sandy, the electric propagator is a gently heated pad that seed trays with clear plastic lids sit on, just enough to encourage seeds to think it’s the start of summer and they need to sprout!

Better get to bed! 🥱😴
    Jackie

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    I've got to get moving because I'm expecting a package and I don't want to be in the shower when it arrives because it needs a signature, but just for now I want to tell you Harrys old house is up for sale again just as we predicted on Sunday. They are hoping for a profit of 220,000 dollars.
    What a super day you had yesterday JACKIE. I gather Europe is far stricter on its agricultural policies than over here.
    All for now. ANNE.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Leaving on a jet plane, will be back Saturday night. Enjoy your week, stay safe and stay healthy.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello. Overcast day with rain likely. Laundry today.

Sandy, safe travels. I am sure you will enjoy the time away.

Jackie, I am glad your friend gave you some teabags. And my goodness, how wonderful to meet up with a former co-worker out of the blue like that.

Anne, whoopee, a package. I hope it is something lovely.

Patsy, coyotes in the neighborhood. That is a fright. I know you will keep Katie close.

Obsessing about those flower seeds. I actually received a second hand packed little bag of gypsophila seeds. I am not sure I will plant those but as to the lovely purple/blue flowers I tracked down more info. This started with a picture on Facebook last year. But you see, I didn’t save the photo or the information I found at that time. So when I found them on Etsy, I ordered. I found the seed company’s name and got to their website last night and found the seeds!

I put the info into a translation app and the flower is:
    Krallen Aster Angora - Callistephus chinensis

An annual plant with powerful erect stems, 50-80 cm tall. Inflorescences densely terry with claw-shaped petals, 8-11 cm in diameter, blue. Up to 10 inflorescences are formed on one plant. It is used for decorative design of flower beds, flower beds and cuttings into bouquets.

Yippee!

Time to make some breakfast or at least coffee.

Be safe.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A photo from a shop. I think I could definitely browse there.
    h8j76dc9cb0v.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Hi LIN, I love the aster family of flowers - maybe because my birthday flower is the Michaelmas Daisy. I have a plant in my little garden and up it comes every year with the chrysanthemums.

Its now lunchtime and I'm still waiting for my package.

I had to smile at Sandy description of her packed walk in closet. Reminds me of Flo who has so many clothes you couldn't put a knife blade between hangers. My wardrobe is very sparse. I have 6 winter thickness pants and 6 lightweight summer pants, plus the same number of coordinating tops and a few winter sweaters. Everything is either in my favourite colour range or white [shirts]. This makes dressing and choosing very easy! Okay, I'm no fashion plate but I think it all boils down to my Dad who used to say to me "why do you need 2 pairs of shoes when you can only wear one pair at a time" Lol. Anyway, I just replace an item when it wears out with something similar and probably more up to date. Mind you if you like classical; things don't really go out of style. Anybody else out there like me? I know I'm a bit of an oddity. For instance Mikes friend Sandy spends half her life "fashion" shopping.

My dog is a bit odd as well. She's just eaten her lunch of chicken sprinkled with peas and mashed spud. She can't get enough mashed potato! I really have to ration her carefully. A vegetarian dog, what next!
    ANNE

• JillyBurg7
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I wrote about working in the garden in warm sunshine this afternoon in my sweater and the post vanished for no apparent reason into thin air. Try again tomorrow.

PS. Well it must have left my Anne because as you can see I've now got two. Weirder and weirder. LOL must be spring fever.

ANNE
    ANNE.
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Sunny day after a wild night! Thunder and lightening, rain and hail. Of course our mental case of a dog paced around and was so terrified it was heartbreaking. I spent most of the night comforting her and hugging her. If I had been more on the ball, I would have ordered that calming stuff from Amazon. It is used by a lot by groomers for doggies who are scared of grooming. Now I will do it. That old adage about locking the barn door after the horse is out applies here.

John goes for our tax appointment tomorrow. He has a new tax person now. The old one quit her job…of course! Now he has to start over and the old one knew everything. New day coming as they say.

If they new lawn-landscaping guy works out, we will have a lot of new plants installed and the old overgrown ones need dramatic pruning. I have so much repair, replenish, and refresh jobs, I know I will never get it all done. An army of helpers will be required.

Anne: I love our diversity on this forum. I think I have always admired your philosophy, of not too much and just enough. It just isn’t in me. I love new trendy things. Either in fashion or tech or anything really. The catch is I also love the old antique stuff. That is why our house is way too full. My closet is full of stuff, a lot I haven’t worn in years. I will make a deposit at Goodwill or charity store soon.

Sandy: hope you have a safe and pleasant visit. We will be excited to hear about your adventures.

Lin: you are an amazing gardener. Knowing my Lucy-goosy attitude, I would just plant and hope for the best and also hope I remember the name of the plant. And there would be a good possibility I would not!!!

Jackie: I would be constantly in love with the two personality types of Betty and George. They sound like MoMo and our Mazzie. They were so different yet how could I love them each more? Our Katie is an amazing mix of both personalities. But she also has a few strange traits that are entirely her own.

Hello Barbie, Diane, Joy and all absent sneakers….come home and tell us what you have been up to….
    Love you all,
    Patsy☘️