Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    There's always something sent thats different in my grocery delivery PATSY. This week I ordered a small bag of carrots and received a huge bag of carrots. Enough to feed a family of bunnies for a month. Mark and Mary Jo came over to do a bit more work on the basement wooden floor and went home with a third of the bag. Another third awaits Michael on Saturday, and still too many left for me.

Jilly has gone to bed thoroughly exhausted after playing chase me with Mary Jo and barking at unknown people wandering up next doors drive. Strangely quiet now so maybe she hopefully HAS lost her voice LIN.
    Anne

• virruth
    virruth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone. Sorry about the cold weather some are experiencing. I had my granddaughter visit and we went in the spa. Water only warmed a bit. But is was really good for these old bones. Pool water was really too cold, so delaying that. Had a wake and funeral these last couple of days so my daughter brought over a choc. Cream pie. My will power is down the tubes. But it was delish. I see Sandy is off on vacay. Lin, I really love the pics of teapots. Especially that carved one….very unique. Kinda forgot how to move around here, but figuring it out slowly but surely, I guess.
    Hope you all have healthy, happy days this week. ❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) We had warmer than usual weather today and both Jake and I got outside to do a bit of puttering in the yard.

:) In 1999 we bought a house on five acres in the country and had lots of great ideas about farming and gardening. I considered getting goats and chickens but every time I asked someone about their experiences with them, they started their replies with "first thing every morning, I___" Since I was still working full time then, I already had enough to do first thing every morning, so I gave us on the idea of having either goats or chickens. I planted sunflowers and marigolds and Jake planted and harvested enough vegetables to have a stand at the farmers market. Ii was a delightful time.

<3 Barbie
  • JillyBurg7
    edited April 2022
    Options
    BARBIE, how wonderful, my idea of heaven as well.
    Busy day today but just had to say how wonderful to know you all and learn of fascinating aspects of each life. Just when we think we know everything about each Sneaker suddenly out of the blue we get a glimpse of a past life. Patsy and her embroidered jeans and love of clowns, and remember Phoebe and her life driving a truck seemingly across America, I really missed Phoebe when she left. Too many lives to mention here but I can see Barbie and Jake in their jeans selling their home produce at the farmers market. Barbie, I needed inspiration for my amateur painting and there we go, having been to many farmers markets with Flo in the past. Stalls and colourful produce and people! Have a lovely, lovely day friends.
    ANNE.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    3zuvt4bycn6k.jpg
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Lovely BARBIE. Lovely photo and more inspiration for Anne the would be artist. Reminds me of the old song "If all those endearing young charms" which ends with [if I haven't misquoted:]

Oh the heart that has truly loved never forgets,
    but as truly loves on to the close.
    As the sunflower turns her face to her god when he sets.
    The same face that she turned when he rose.

Thank you so much for sharing.
    ANNE.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Oh Glory Be! Another sunny day. Sort of cool breezy but blissfully sunny. Katie is firmly entrenched in her usual spot. Half in the house and half on the deck. She is sunning her toes….oooops I see clouds moving in fast. Goodby SUNNY day. Nice to have briefly seen you.

Our booster appointment is wed. The 13th and I am to bring my vaccination card. Ah hem! Now where did I put that card? I wanted to make sure I didn’t lose it so put it in a really safe place. So very very safe. But where? Must wear a mask and no pets allowed and we are to bring that vaccination card. Where is that crazy thing hiding?

Ever since our son sold his great big house, he has been renting. The housing market is crazy here. The only houses that are listed are in the million dollar range. That is just unacceptable. He will certainly need to build a house to meet his needs. Large studio and workshop. He is special effects director for a couple of TV series. But in the main, he can live and work anywhere. Maybe once or twice a quick trip to LA. He is now thinking of moving near us! Oh the joy of that! He gets anxious about us oldies rattling around. In truth, there are many times we could really use a bit of assistance.

I always admire those gardeners who know what they are doing. I used to plant my herbs in several pots on the deck. I just planted seeds. Some grew some did not. Not sure why or if I did not give them proper care. That’s why I loved to plant a few peppermint plants. They never disappointed me.

Anne: I love carrots. Katie loves cooked carrots in her chicken-brown rice- veggie doggie stew. I love carrot soup. John…not so much! But I sneak them in lots of recipes. Love the song or poetry. You are a wonder. You always know those lovely old poems. I really like modern poetry, mostly plain verse. Actually I love poetry! Old and new.

Joy: so sorry for your loss. I had no idea there was a death in your family. Glad you got back in touch.

Barbie: wow! Great sunflowers. I have mentioned before that I was raised on a ranch but we had many animals, including several little Nubian goats and many chickens, ducks and geese. It seemed all the animal care took place at ungodly early hours of the morning. Getting everything fed and cleaned up for the day started at 4:00 a.m. still dark, often very chilly. Good idea to think before taking on animal care before going to your other job.

Sandy: hope you are enjoying that pool and that puppy. We await more photos.

Hello to Jackie and Lin. You must be on another page or I have missed your posts. Hello! Hello!
    Patsy☘️😷🌦🗄📂🗑🗂

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    uusjl6069cdt.jpeg
    o1igiyo6t2f2.jpeg
    dx75pejs1zq2.jpeg

From dinner last night. Last day at pool before returning home tomorrow.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hello dear friends. The cold wind doth blow and we shall have…. Heavy hail showers! After a disturbed night, I know not why, I slept until 8.30 so by the time I’d showered and washed and dried my hair, then eaten some cereal and fruit, it was nearly 1030. I finally weighed myself and am where I was over a month ago, forever needing to lose 8 lbs!
    I called my friend Richard before we went out for a doggy walk, to arrange to return his miraculous drill, then drove to the top moor which is close to where he lives. My dog walking friend David was strolling towards us with his little Hattie so George and Betty were let off their leads to sniff about but as we chatted they disappeared out of sight behind some rough ground; then I saw another dog walker waving from his car where he was putting his Jack Russell in the back, pointing to where my 2 were hiding! They hadn’t gone far and once I blew my whistle, they stayed close enough for us to keep an eye on them. The cold wind stopped me going too far then I dropped off the drill to Richard before coming home. He’s still in a lot of pain after being side swiped by a five bar gate in a storm so I didn’t stay long.
    Lunchtime news was so upsetting showing more atrocities in Ukraine that left me emotional and tearful, I wonder when the horror will ever end.

Lin, the garden nursery I found on Etsy looking for those seeds was called Nikitovka Seeds Store, currently “taking a short break”.

A lovely photograph Barbie. You look very proud of your sunflowers. 🌻

How exciting Patsy, if your son moves and builds his new home close by. That’s what we call a true booster!

It’s that time for bed and hopefully a better night’s sleep but first I must set my washing machine to work in the early hours when the electricity is on a low tariff because we should have sunshine tomorrow so no damp laundry hanging about my dining room!

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    Options
    Hello. It seems I was drawn into one thing after another today. I did get to the post office to mail my Easter cards. Then I found my way through the road construction to my old health food store that had a really big sale today. Everything was either on sale or 20% off full price. I shopped slowly and carefully to try to find things I usually buy and scored a number of good deals. Then home to put my groceries away, lunch and then discovered I have plumbing problems. Oh joy. So I fussed with that but made no progress. But I did have 2 very long phone calls with friends. I guess I will think about the problem tomorrow.

Barbie, I love your sunflowers. Fabulous! And a very happy smiling Barbie. ❤️❤️ It sounds like a wonderful chapter in your life.

Sandy, love your vacation photos. Coming back already? It seems you’ve not been gone very long.

Patsy, oops, a misplaced card? Well, you have time to look for it. I put mine in my little safe in the basement. Medical file? Or maybe you’ve already found it. Did John find his? It would be wonderful if your son ends up buying or building a house in your vicinity. 🤞🏻

Joy, sorry for the loss in your life. A chocolate cream pie, wow, extreme comfort food. I hope you are feeling well.

Anne, wow, what a lot of carrots! Nice of you to share your bounty! Did Jilly have a nice nap?

Jackie, a busy day for you as well. I think we are having similar cold and windy weather but instead of hail we have been having snow showers. It is not the weather to be outside cleaning up the yard. I think we may have weeks before it is really gardening season. I am having daily visits from the local bunnies, squirrels and actually some Mourning Doves and a Hawk once in a while. The bunnies seems disappointed that nothing is growing yet.

Be safe everyone. Talk to you tomorrow.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

fl3cbfr3tdkf.jpeg

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    Good morning dear Sneakers. A moment of silence please because the poinsettia is a gone poinsettia. He was just getting too large, the light was gone from the front door window, and it was a case of him going or me and Jilly vacating the house. I hadn't intended to chop him down in his prime but this morning when I went to water him I noticed a branch had broken off and a sticky resin was oozing onto the floor. Poinsettias are poisonous I believe and thats why he sat on my desk out of reach of little dogs! This little one has only been sick once in her 6 years when she was 6 months old and my gormless grandson fed her chocolate. I just couldn't risk this Mexican interloper doing her in! Our mission now is to find a nice safe African violet. Do you remember the one I inherited, had for 30 odd years and she grew as big as a cabbage before gracefully fading away?

It took ages to get the sticky resin off my hands in the shower so I don't feel too bad about giving Pointsy the chop. I will stick to English ivy and holly out of the garden if I'm still around come Christmas.

RIP
    Anne.
  • JillyBurg7
    edited April 2022
    Options
    PS....Just found I've got a $47.57 tax refund. Yeah, enough to buy an African Violet.
    Anne.
  • virruth
    virruth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! I am at the Nursery. Walked around and around. Now in car sipping water while my girls are still shopping. I took pics for our gardener. Its sunny but breezy here in Cali. I am just making appt for second booster. Hope you found your vax card, Patsy.
    Beautiful sunflower Barbie. And nice vacay pics Sandy. You have not aged since I first joined all those years ago!
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Cold rain and breezy today. Katie and I only walked a few steps out on the deck and turned tail to run back inside to warmth and dry. I need to “hit the dungeon” and get my exercises done very soon. Katie will be in and out and needing to be toweled off very frequently.

I need to slowly inch my way downstairs to check Damon’s room and bathroom before his visit this weekend. Easter! We decided to go very easy this year on celebrations. John suggested Easter Pizza! I am really not familiar with that but he gave me a wicked wink and told me it was all the new rage. Do you think he was just “shining me on?”

Even though all the numbers say otherwise, and I will still mask and distance, I feel like the pandemic is on its way out of the back door. Yes we still need to be vigilant. But am feeling the end is in sight. And even though it is rainy and cold out, I do believe we have spring on the way. So take heart my sweet friends!

Time to lighten up for spring and summer. I love Sandy’s white lace top in the photos. I look horrible in white but if that top came in pink or fuchsia, I would be adding it to my overfull closet this minute.

Anne, I read poinsettias are not that poisonous at all. But could upset Jilly’s tummy none the less. I have such a problem growing anything, there is no way I could chop down the poinsettia. I would build a fence around that lovely little tree, but chop her down? I could not do it! However! I know you can grow just about anything, so this would never be an issue with you.

Jackie: I marvel at the lovely neighborly people in your area. People talk to one another! They visit each other! They help each other! That concept is largely absent here. We have lived here 30 years and I have had a conversation with maybe 3 or 4 neighbors. I know their names and they know us but we each go about our life only nodding in acknowledgement. What friends we have left are my art friends and John’s college friends. Americans have a reputation for being very friendly, and some are. As a culture we seemed to be isolating ourselves even before Covid.
    Hello all sneakers. Lin, Sandy, Barbie, Joy, Diane and all others. We miss you all.😘
    Patsy☘️🌦☔️🏋️‍♂️
  • linder4866
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello. Well, I give up. I cannot get the drain to work. So I have removed everything from the cabinet and I have spoken to my handyman, he will be here on Monday. At some point. I have put away most of the supplies from that online card class. I still want to make more cards from the same supplies but I need some space in my downstairs rooms. 😄

I also did some laundry. I needed clean socks!

Joy, what a wonderful time to wander through a nursery. Lovely. I am sure there were lots of attractive plants. Enjoy the remainder of your day.

Anne, all right. A refund and earmarked for a new violet. Excellent! Yes, good idea to remove the poinsettia, must protect the little one.

Well, I guess I should get back to work. And I am trying to update my very old Mac computer. (Growl……it is not working well once again)

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Amazing, a teapot light along with several actual teapots. ❤️❤️
    dkamfp5x1que.jpeg

• linder4866
    Options
    A reminder list.

7ua56vhdiokk.jpeg
  • linder4866
    edited April 2022
    Options
    A couple (teapot fanatics) posted this photo of today’s trip to Portobello Saturday market. Very busy!

w9x8craqlsu0.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Thats a very useful list of plants to have and not have LIN. Thanks for posting.
    People in the north of England are very friendly PATSY and by JACKIES account just the same in Cornwall. Thats one of the things I miss over here, folks popping in, carrying paper bags of goodies and yelling "put kettle on Anne."
    Mike was over for lunch and we had cabbage rolls followed by a Chapmans ice cream tornado cone.
    Seems to be a week for ice cream desserts. Spring really is on the way.
    Oh PATSY, how wonderful for you and John if Damon moves closer. Is it possible he could move in with you two? Could you give up your dungeon to create a studio for him? Mike lived with me for a couple of years after his marriage failed and it was wonderful from my point of view. The only drawback was a long drive to work and his present condo is almost next door to his workplace. He seems to spend his weekends these days between close friends and me.

Rainy day here. Jilly had 3 long walks and had to be towelled down because her close to the ground tum got very wet in the long grass.
    Anne.
    Almost forgot! I persuaded Mary Jo to start a few seeds in her spare bedroom and she phoned this morning that the broccoli is already sprouting seedlings.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Guess who just lost her long post? 😏😒
    I think that was my fault because I’m struggling to keep eyes open after a long and busy day. As ever, I can’t repeat it all now but will try tomorrow!
    Jackie 🥱😴
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Finished watching mass even though I thought I would sleep late this morning but woke up at my regular time. Long day of traveling yesterday do to a three hour layover in Denver. Flight was delayed a little so didn't get home until 11pm last night. Our vacation was wonderful but always great to be home. Not sure what's on my agenda today I think Babe will probably want to come over but will see what he says when he calls. I have to get groceries and some cards as Easter is next Sunday.
    It is my granddaughter in Minnesota birthday Tuesday so I doubt I will get her card to her in time but I am sure she will understand. I also have to figure out what to get kiddos for Easter so another busy week. I am tired so I probably won't go see the kiddos until Tuesday so I can catch up on things.

Have a great day and keep staying safe.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time