• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    Options
    Just a teapot…

hhe3rlawz2ya.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) The sun never came out yesterday but we met at the pool fully dressed for our last get together with some food and drinks for a couple of hours. Today is sitting day so life is once again back to normal.
    My kids dad is back in the hospital because he was urinating blood which they now think is a UTI. My daughter is his POA and she is going to talk to social worker today and explain he cannot go home and live by himself any longer. Hopefully she gets the help to put him in rehab or a nursing home. He has fallen 3 or 4 times in the last month. This is going to be a hard road for my kids but I think they can handle it working together.

Patsy, I will be waiting for the release of the Crown, interesting show but as Jackie said not all true.
    I hope you enjoyed your picnic on the deck, it sounds like fun. Thanks for reminding me Babe needs his second booster and I will also sign up for third booster. I look at them like flu shots so if it keeps me from getting too sick I am for it as I usually don't get side effects either.

Anne, you have the strangest neighbors but it makes life interesting for you. Where is Mike putting all the stuff he is taking out? Does he have room for it all?

I hope all are well and now that the weather is cooling down enjoying some open windows and fresh air.
    Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    A sunny warm day here. In fact our hot weather is returning once again. But not like poor sad scorching California. That beautiful state is in trouble. My thoughts and prayers for the people and animals dealing with this climate change. We all are, actually!

John has one of his ongoing tooth issues. Every tooth in his mouth has either a crown or root canal or implant. Poor baby, he is going through one of his phases where it seems like his entire body needs repairs. I do keep seeing this image of an old car going into the garage for an oil job and overhaul. As John says, they aren’t making any parts for a model this old. Ha! Has he not heard of Yankee ingenuity?

Sandy: about the new booster. I understand it is a different formula from the other boosters. Talk to the doctor, it could be that Babe could skip the second booster and get just the newest booster. Damon’s sailing friend, who is a nurse practitioner, said she already has a full schedule of people wanting the new booster. She is in the process of “digesting all the parameters “ of the newest booster. I think we must be getting closer to that yearly Covid shot like the flu shot. We always get the flu shot because after getting the flu one winter, that taught us a really good lesson.

Oh! another entry into the garbage garden…I cook sweet potato’s for Katie (and us) and I found one with a little bit of a sprouting so I put it in a pretty little flower pot with some water and a little plant food. It might make a pretty vine near my dungeon window.

So to paraphrase….I have many chores before I sleep.
    Patsy☘️
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Good evening! The torrential showers continue but I managed to find a half hour gap this morning to walk with George and Betty and stayed on low moors so it wasn’t too windy. First time since early Spring I wore my knitted head scarf that covers my ears and keeps my hair under control! George ran lots of zoomies which showed how frustrated he has been with our short walks in the rain since Saturday. On the way home I detoured to the farm supply store for a bag of corn for the hens and saw a pair of walking shoes at half price. Seemed prophetic because yesterday I discovered my favourite comfy pair had begun to split on the seams so out they went. These new ones looked too small in my size but I should have taken the time to try them on because I’m now thinking I might go back although at that price they will probably be gone! This afternoon I have been painting the kitchen walls with the occasional pause to keep an eye on our news. As annoying as Boris has been as Prime Minister, his farewell speech did make me laugh comparing himself to a booster rocket splashing down somewhere remote in the Pacific. Knowing Boris, he’ll be back!

Sandy, you made me smile too when you referred to meeting your friends fully dressed! 😆😂. I do know what you mean but it read as a funny comment. No photo of my hens sitting in their shelter because they still stay away from it. Perhaps they don’t approve of the decor!

A pretty teapot Lin and even prettier poodle.

Pictures of the Queen today had observers commenting how frail she suddenly looks but remembering how much she sacrificed to do her duty, I think she should now be left alone to enjoy what time she has left. The Crown's certainly full of a lot of guesswork but I can’t wait to see what they make of Harry’s life choices!

Anne, wasn’t Labour day crunch time for your neighbours to move out? Perhaps they were having a final clear out yesterday. 🤔

Tomorrow I will take George and Betty to the groomer’s home to check if they get on with her little Ziggy, an ex drugs search dog who recently suffered a stroke but is doing remarkably well.

I’ve feet up enjoying a choc ice.. no wonder my weight doesn’t go down!
    Jackie 🥰
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Patsy, you snuck in before me and I will be fascinated to hear what becomes of your sweet potato. I was tempted early summer to purchase sweet potato slips to grow but decided they were too expensive and definitely not garbage garden material!
    I read that many are deserting California because there seems no end to their dire drought conditions then Pakistan, with an area the size of Britain covered in water and a variety of crops have washed away. Our poor planet!
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening. I am streaming a card making video as I type this. We had a day of lovely temperatures with some overcast skies caused by smoke from the fires out West. Fall seems to be on the way. Birds and squirrels are eating my cherry tomatoes every day now. I hope they are enjoying them. I have been making cards all day today, again. 🙃 Should I just mention when I am not making cards?

I finally gave in and called the company who replaced my roof some years ago. I trust them, they did good work and they know the characteristics of their shingles. They should have someone stop by to check my roof this week. I changed my mind as more and more neighbors have either posted that they were having their roof replaced or a little sign has popped up in the front yard with a contractor’s name.

I tried to dry some mint today. It didn’t turn out to be lovely! ☹️

I am glad we are all here and trying our best to live our best life possible each day.

Wishing everyone well. Long distance hugs.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

m1xhptdthsqq.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) We went out today for a rare shopping trip and bought soil for me to divide and replant my iris bulbs and for Jake to prepare the raised beds for planting garlic. We won't do that right away but wanted to buy the supplies before they are all gone.

:'( Bernie, the cat continues to have more symptoms of old age. He has an appointment with the vet next week.

<3 Barbie
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A quick note from me, busy day. With the drying of herbs we picked bunches of sage, marjoram, thyme, tied the bunches with string, placed them in a brown paper bag with heads at the bottom and the stalks at the top and hung to dry in a cupboard. After some time we crumbled the dried leaves from the stalks whilst still in the bag to prevent mess before popping in jars. We didn't dry mint. It was chopped very finely and covered in brown vinegar to spoon on roast lamb or chops. I am allergic to vinegar but this is what I remember my Mom doing. Any help?
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Thanks Anne…..I was hoping to make this a one day project. I used to hang bundles in my basement (when I lived in a different house). Meanwhile, I decimated most of the harvestable mint. 😂🤣😂

I will think about where I might be able to hang some mint.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) I didn't sit yesterday nor am I needed today because Lisa is under the weather and two of the kiddos have some congestion. I feel a little lost when I don't sit but also love being at home.
    Weather is beautiful, windows are open for some fresh air. The only thing on the agenda is paying estimated taxes for Babe, other than that nothing. Oh, and grocery delivery early afternoon.

Anne and Lin, I have mint on my balcony but won't be drying it. It has flowers starting and I googled why and it said it is on it's way out for the season. Sad, summer is almost over, it went too fast.

Barbie, good luck with Bernie next week, I am sure he feels very loved.

Lin, did I miss something about your roof? Did the storm knock off some shingles?

Jackie, good luck in exchanging the new shoes, I do hope they have your size. Yes, I guess it did sound weird saying we were fully dressed as opposed to naked. lol At least it made you laugh.

Patsy, I will ask the pharmacist when we go Friday if Babe can just have the new booster. He didn't want to get another booster but I am insisting as he has an autoimmune disease. I just hope he doesn't have any side effects or he will be angry with me.

Enjoy your day, I plan on doing the same.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Sandydur
    Options
    Update: I am sitting after all. Rob's dad is in hospital and not doing well so they are going to visit him.
    He has an UTI and keeps pulling his IV's out and is agitated and confused. His wallet is also missing so hopefully Rob can find it and try to calm his father down. He needs a blood transfusion as he is still bleeding with the catheter. He is the father of my children so I still do care and will help in anyway I can.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Another day of wild weather but again I have managed to avoid getting wet. After walking I took George and Betty to the groomer’s home to see how they behaved and I have to say they were both very good. George even sat on the sofa next to her 91 year old mum accepting cuddles while Betty ran from room to room looking for food before settling next to George. Dear Ziggy has had another bad turn but doesn’t seem distressed or in pain so won’t be taken to a vet. There is an acre field on their land directly beyond their deck so they will have lots of space to run about.

Lin, I don’t feel mint would be pleasant after a drying process because it would become brittle and turn to dust. When I was a child we had mint in vinegar with a sprinkle of sugar but even that was made with fresh leaves so in the winter months shop bought mint sauce was used. In my greenhouse is a bag containing drying Love in the Mist stalks with seed heads but that’s completely different!

Sandy, if you pinch off the flowers on your mint it should last longer, otherwise its energy goes into that flower. Enjoy your day at home, especially as it is a lovely one so you can open windows. I can’t believe how quickly autumn has arrived here. I’ve kept the jacket on that I wore to walk down the garden to give the hens their corn. By the way, you asked about the granite rock I drove over when reversing. It was BIG but not too high which is why I didn’t see it in my side mirror!

Oh dear, my cup of tea is ruined by milk that is turning but I don’t want to go back out to buy fresh as it’s nearly 6pm. Perhaps a glass of fruity cider instead!
    Jackie 🥰

• Sandydur
    Options
    Another update: :D Lisa parents told me they will stay and I don't have to come. Originally I was going to relieve Sue so she could go to book club but she had a change of heart. Babe was happy I am staying home. :D
  • linder4866
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hello, seems like a busy day.

I had a small grocery order to pick up this morning. They were very early in putting my order together. Now if I could figure out when I can make my way over there without a fleet of school buses on the road and the crosswalk guards on duty. 👀 Wow, there are people out checking on hail damage and two centers have been set up for cars, trucks, campers. An added feature, now flatbed trucks full of shingles and the crews of guys in pickups are out setting up at various houses. Busy morning!

Got my groceries, put them away and off out the library to pick up a book on hold and to return several checked out books. And of course, I just received a call that I have a book to pick up. ANOTHER book! 🙃

This afternoon, I was notified that a paper cutter I had ordered was available for pickup at the store. No school buses or crosswalk guards out! 😂🤣😂 but there was a lot of traffic on the roads. I was tempted to stop at a small Target store on my way home but wow, the parking lot was full. Never mind. Another day.

I was looking at my October card list. Oh my. I need to change gears. I called the church secretary and asked if there were any more events on the calendar. And yes, there is a baby shower on October 1st. Glad I called. I will start to organize for a card and some type of cash/gift card.

Anne, again, thanks for the hints. I took my very dry mint, popped it in a brown bags crushed it and removed the stems. Now to try a bit in my infuser to see if it might make decent tea. If not, I will give up and buy some mint teabags. 😊 so more socks being lobbed at you? Any idea of what is really going with the house next door? High drama on your street!

Jackie, did you get the boots you were talking about? Must not pass up a bargain, especially if your current shoes/boots are wearing out. My garden is definitely winding down. I am going to dig some potatoes tonight. Not lots but the tops are dead so going to see what I can find. One of my favorite chores.

Barbie, I am sorry to hear your darling cat is having health problems. Poor Bernie. ❤️❤️ A shopping trip, kind of a nice event from time to time.

Sandy, I know you miss the kids but you are in demand with Babe being happy that you are home. Are your grocery deliveries still working out with everything brought to your doorstep?

Patsy, I am sorry John has tooth problems. Ouch! Does he have an appointment with the dentist? You are definitely quite creative with the garbage garden concept. Good luck, sweet potato vines are pretty. I hope they will thrive.

Well, I need to get back to work. Be well everyone. FYI, some friends of mine drove an hour each way to get the new Covid vaccine today. They were thrilled.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

6xseo8ovcso0.jpeg

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    Hi LIN, I guess you misunderstood my garbled earlier post on drying herbs. JACKIE put it right posting up above me, but I will also repeat. We dried sage, marjoram and thyme but we DIDN'T dry mint, we chopped the fresh leaves finely and added them to a little vinegar to spread on lamb chops or roast. You can buy jars from the stores in Canada.

I'm trying to rescue my poor geraniums by planting them in pots to bring inside over the winter months. I'm hopeful because one specimen is flowering still. So no exotic avocado, sweet potato, etc planting indoors for me!

Mark and Mary jo never made it to the Carolinas, too wet! Here in Canada, its too dry but good weather for sightseeing around Ontario. At the moment they are in Ottawa and they had lunch at that very posh famous hotel. Can't remember its name at the moment.

I have no idea what's going on next door LIN but surmise the sale fell through. The new folk were supposed to move in on August 1st. The original buyers from Afghanistan are still turning up each evening, sometimes 9 cars are parked on the street, but nobody stays overnight. Its all very weird. I suspect they can't sell and some family member will eventually move in, but who knows.

Anne.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) I have an appointment Friday with the next eye doctor to find out more about what's wrong with my left eye. Knowing what's not wrong is helpful but creates no solution and I can't get glasses with my new prescription until this other thing gets figured out. It doesn't hurt, still allows me to do my usual stuff and doesn't seem to be getting worse, it's just annoying
    <3 Barbie
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Morning all. I'm off to the eye doctor today BARBIE. Its my left eye as well. After the shingles it seemed to get worse and I'm deaf in the left ear from the shingles with some scarring on the left forehead. I will be thinking of you on Friday you can be sure.

Its 7:15 am so no news at all at this time. I don't think eye glasses help with cataracts so don't expect to get any after the exam today. No big deal, I've managed without for 2-3 months since the wind blew my last pair off my forehead where they shouldn't have been and smashed them on the concrete drive. There's always a silver lining to any cloud which means just a small fee for the back of the eye exam which is a small relief after the vet bill lol.

Bean by the way is back to her normal self. She is 6 years old but I know what its like as our beloved pets age. Thinking of Bernie as well with the vet visit next week.

Anne.
  • jacAth3
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I’ve a quiet day at home after shopping for groceries early then taking George and Betty in the car to a field about a mile away so they could stretch their legs in long, wet grass. One other dog walker there throwing a ball with one of those plastic slingers which was fine until it sailed over George’s head and that sent the Labrador being walked in his direction which he didn’t approve of! We stopped to chat for 5 minutes standing in drizzle, then home to dry off and plan a couple of gentle chores. Torrential rain now which brings to mind the saying, be careful what you wish for because only last week I was hoping for enough to help my garden… now battered by wind and hefty showers.

Anne, do you think perhaps your neighbours didn’t do a great job of covering up Harry’s crumbling house issues? The prospective buyers might have had the sense to hire a surveyor then changed their minds! Before my cataracts were removed I wore long distance and reading glasses with strong prescriptions and it was only when I was told nothing stronger would help so I would lose my driving license, I took a deep breath and opted for their removal. Since you don’t drive that’s not a problem and hopefully an eye test will give you an improvement with a new prescription.

Lin, I haven’t been back for those walking shoes because after our visit to George’s groomer’s home I wanted to do a bit more painting in my kitchen. The store is only about 5 miles away but the torrential rain we are getting causes flooding off the fields either side which tend to sit higher than the roads. It can be like driving through a car wash!
    nrk7eviwd5xr.jpeg

That’s a fabulous teapot and set. You have me thinking I will make tea properly this coming Winter when I’m home more, rather than dangling a teabag in a mug!

Sandy, I think I posted yesterday as you told us about Rob’s dad being so unwell. He must feel horribly uncomfortable with that catheter and the bleeding so I do hope you hear some positive news today.

Time for a snack lunch then hopefully get motivated!
    Stay safe everyone
    Jackie 🥰

• JillyBurg7
    edited September 2022
    Options
    There's one thing about using a teapot JACKIE, you save money! I have a small teapot for 2 and when I use a teabag it makes 1 and a half cuppa, or actually one mug and a half. Don't I sound cheap, but hey we are living in hard grocery times, lol.

BAD NEWS.
    Michael has just posted me a BBC article that all the queens children are travelling to Balmoral because their mother is under medical supervision. It sounds terribly serious and really upsetting. I really like our Queen and pray she will recover.

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Of course since the pool closed the weather has been beautiful. Meeting today and a couple of errands. Rob and Lisa said that his dad is very confused and disoriented but that seems to be common with older folks who get an UTI. They had to move him closer to nurses station as he kept ripping his IV out of his arm. Rob did find his dad's wallet, he was laying on top of it. He had a blood transfusion but he is still bleeding so they did an Ultrasound yesterday looking for either an infection or possible bladder cancer. No results as of yet. His roommate who doesn't drive is a saint of a man and probably took his bike to visit John and let Kristy know what was going on. He also told her the house smelled of urine and there was blood all over the bathroom. He was going to clean but Kristy told him she would arrange to have a cleaning lady come in and clean today which she did. I didn't get any update yet today so hopefully no news is good news. Not sure how this will all end but he definitely cannot live alone and his roommate works and is not a caretaker. In fact if they do get him in somewhere the roommate is interested in buying the trailer he lives in so we shall see.

Jackie, what a beautiful picture, where is that? Maybe if you return the shoes for another size they will
    order you a new pair if out of stock at the same price. You can hope!!

Anne, maybe you could just get a pair or two of glasses at your local store where they sell glasses. When do they think they can do the cataract surgery or is that off the table for good? I am thinking like Jackie that there are more repairs that need to be done at the buyers request or the sale fell through because of repairs. Maybe the crew is there fixing and painting or whatever. Glad Jilly is back to her young self.

Barbie, I can imagine how frustrating it is to see a shadow all the time. Before my cataract surgery the floaters were annoying enough. I hope you get some answers and a quick cure for whatever it is.

Lin, I am loving my groceries being brought into my condo it is so much easier and my back isn't suffering from all that carrying up the stairs. I had one substitution yesterday but everything else was in stock, so score!!! Babe is getting stronger everyday, he is up to 90 squats off the counter and walks around or rides the bike. He is determined to get his legs stronger and I am proud of him for that.

Patsy, I had to cancel our vaccinations because the cardiologist office called and they had an opening for Friday so we took it. The neurologist recommended we see her since she is part of his hospital and she can review the tests he took there. We will still see his regular cardiologist but he doesn't have an appointment until next January. I will reschedule the booster shots.

Have a good day and enjoy each day as today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time