Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I was up at 5 am to watch Queen Elizabeth's funeral. It was wonderful - absolutely perfect and well done. I liked the last part the best. Lovely family service at the St Georges Chapel, Windsor. And wasn't it wonderful to see her two corgis on the castle steps as she was driven past and her pony. All those perfect soldiers and sailors [3000] marching in unison, but alas, they couldn't put our lovely queen together again.

She would have been very proud of the Prince and Princess of Wales two eldest but very young beautifully mannered children.

King Charles already looks a little different I thought.

Oh well, time to move on and do something like put lunch together,
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Good day everyone! Another mild sunny day here. I wonder when our rainy season will start? I both look forward to the cool weather and at the same time I dread the long dark season.

Both John and I are set for our bivalent booster on Friday. It ways a tussle getting the appointments straightened out. The software for the appointment reservations was a mess! It refused to make a reservation for more than one person at any email address. John and I use the same address. So after many moments of hair pulling, I just called and made the appointment by phone. As I have said many times, technology is great until it isn’t!

Just between you and me….it is shocking when our old loves seem to loose some of their confidence. That is one thing John has always had plenty of, until recently. Aging is an interesting dance of emotions, physical changes and mortality. Watching part of the funeral, I was struck by the thought that this was more than a funeral. It was the passing of a way of life. I hope we can take some of the life lessons of duty and responsibility that she embodied.

Anne: I agree with your thoughts on the funeral for the queen. King Charles has big shoes to fill but he also had the good fortune of learning from an excellent example. I also felt your sincere feeling of loss. You must feel a sense of patriotic pride in the way England shows the world how to express love and gratitude and sincere loss and dignity for an extraordinary Queen.

Sandy: you are a true blessing for Babe. Words cannot express how wonderfully thoughtful I think you have been. And to top it all, you seem to be enjoying it. That is the key, isn’t it? Do nice things for nice people and you will feel nice. Good lessons for us all.

Barbie: so happy you had little to no reactions to the shots. We have generally felt very fatigued and took long naps. It was still worth it to get the shots. We have not had Covid or any variants so far. It will be great to escape Covid and variants. I know there will always be a virus out there trying to cause us trouble.

Hello to Jackie, Lin, and Diane. Wishing you well and hope to hear from you soon.

Patsy☘️

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    Just me popping in again. Apart from the corgis and the pony did anyone else notice that the Princes wives were wearing jewelry given to them by the Queen? Kate was wearing a beautiful choker necklace and Harry's missus was sporting pearl earrings given to her by the queen on the day she married Harry. All sorts of little touches such as the floral wreath with its floral messages. Rosemary for remembrance, myrtle which was in the queens wedding bouquet etc. "The Lords my Shepherd" was a favourite hymn of her majesty. All sorts of little things someone had put a lot of thought into.
    You won't agree with me girls, but I think the USA and the UK would have been awesome together if history hadn't taken a different course.
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Here I am after an extremely emotional day! Considering the short notice, the organisers of today’s funeral created an amazing event. The silent, respectful crowds and the toll of the one bell every minute soon had me and Pat in tears but so proud of our service men and women and the Royals marching as one to the cathedral. We thought Charles looked so sad and when, in Windsor St George’s chapel, the crown, sceptre and orb were removed from the coffin and he placed the flag over one end, we were off again although the lone piper slowly marching through the far door was the most moving. We think Charles’s hair has turned white in the past couple of days and his tearful face as he watched the coffin slowly sink had the whole Nation wanting to comfort him. Yes, we feel proud to have shown just how much our Queen was loved but can’t quite believe she’s gone.

PATSY, your wonderful words brought tears to our eyes, thank you. ❤️

ANNE, the Queen planned the funeral herself, chose the hymns and said she didn’t want it to be longer than an hour and bore the people! Weren’t the Canadian Mounties at the head of the parade gorgeous. Apparently the horses were sent to England from Regina 4 years ago to retire but brought out for such a special occasion and the Queen wanted them to be at the front because she had visited Canada more than any other country.

Yesterday, we walked round Alnwick but most of it was closed. The castle is imposing but then we are discovering the county is steeped in a violent history, hence so many castles!
    4aqnybp18zvw.jpeg

Tomorrow we head north to Lindisfarne, more castles and fresh air. It’s colder than Cornwall but we’ve brought warm coats!

Keep safe dear friends.
    Jackie🥰

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Oh Jackie you brought tears to my eyes. It was indeed a beautiful funeral.

And here I came on to say the only thing good about football in the evening is that I retreat to my bedroom to ride the bike and watch my own shows! 😂😂😂
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    Options
    Hello, what a mournful day. I seemed on the edge of tears many times. I won’t say more. Your comments far exceeded anything I could add.

Tomorrow is another day.

I did have several long phone calls with friends today. That was a plus.

The weather is quite hot again—-like the middle of summer.

Do take care dear friends.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Poor Charlotte
    8emdoipzd2gs.jpeg

Tea
    uf5h036nh5aj.jpeg
    with a snack
    yhpf19juojtx.jpeg

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    JACKIE, you said exactly what I wanted to say. I was so proud of Great Britain, and yes, me who hardly ever cries, did, and especially when the first hymn was the one I chose for my parents goodbyes, "The day thou gavest Lord is ended". I too noticed King Charles hair seemed to have turned white overnight.

I think you will enjoy Northumberland despite the cold. Its the county between Yorkshire and Scotland of course hence its violent past and home of the Percy's. The history is fantastic if you like history as much as I do. I found out that my mothers maiden name was from a clan that made armour for Robert the Bruce and of course fought alongside him as well. I'm considering buying a tartan for Mark who doesn't go in for the past but having looked up the family tartan and prices it won't be a kilt - more likely a tie! My Auntie Alice spent a lot of time and energy looking up our past but abruptly stopped. We never found out why and she said it was boring but could it have been sheep stealing like my Mom wondered? Best not to delve more deeply methinks.

Whatever, enjoy and know I wish I was with you and Pat.

By the way Guy Fawkes who was born in York conspired with Thomas Percy [if memory serves me right] among others to blow up king and parliament. Fascinating stuff but probably boring as hell to everyone but me, lol.

Anne.

• linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends. Wow, what a hot day! Right now, 95 degrees F. Indoors is feeling quite nice.

I had a little grocery order to pick up this morning. I got there and a co structure crew was hammering out all the concrete in the pickup area. 😉 Got as close as I could and texted info on where I was parked. They brought out my order and the little bags were very light. Drove home and found out there was a reason for the lightness. Haaaaa.

I out the things away and headed off to the pharmacy. They were quite busy with people receiving vaccinations. I was required to stay for a while so I looked through the reorganized gluten free section of the store. I found some vegan cheese I have been looking for, every store I tried has been sold out. If I go back tomorrow I will be able to purchase it for 10% off. We will see!

MFP must be playing games with me again. Anne, I do see your morning post, but that is all. Quite unusual.

I hope everyone is well and safe.

Back to doing some stamping.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

b0jobcm0xwg6.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :'( We have an appointment tomorrow morning to say good by to Bernie the cat. It will be sad day for all of us. He is clearly failing and it's rime 😿😢
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    It is a very warm day here. Finally after having the health dept. cancel the booster clinic because they ran out of vaccine, we have appointments at Walgreens. Getting the flu shot at the same time.

Barbie: so sorry about Bernie the cat. I well remember the devastating sadness we go through when we have to say goodbye to a beloved fur family member. There is no words or solace possible. Only a bit of time can help. You know you will always miss him. No other cat can take his place. But the only thing that will help is to remember how much he was loved. What a loving home you provided for him. We are thinking of you and Jake. We know this hurts. I wish I could make it better.

I had to change passwords. Something must be going on. A data breach? What? I am not computer savvy so these things are a mystery to me.
    Patsy☘️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Good Evening! I am sitting in the hallway waiting for the kiddos to go to sleep. I had a busy day trying to be ready for my visitors. Big Walmart delivery, then went to bank, Target and Jewel for items out of stock at Walmart. It stormed here for a short time but they are playing volleyball in wet sand. Yuck!!

I am sorry about Bernie Barbie and Jake. You will be together again when you cross the rainbow bridge.

Hard doing this on my phone so will be back in the morning.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Problems reaching you all yesterday but that could be the poor Wi-Fi in the area. We had a lovely day, visited Lindisfarne then followed the coastal route to Bamburgh Castle before enjoying fish and chips in a lovely seaside town called Seahouses.
    8srhcacpirn9.jpeg
    qyxieedt3n0z.jpeg

The sun is out this morning so we plan to ignore Putin’s threats and travel to Hadrians Wall on the border with Scotland.

I’ll catch up properly this evening… hopefully. Time for a shower!
    Jackie
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Dear Barbie and Jake, I’m thinking of you both today as you look after Bernie on his final journey in this life. If he could, he would thank you for the wonderful life you have shared together but also for helping him today move on to the next.
    I’m sending an English rose that I saw on a pretty cottage garden yesterday, with love. ❤️
    183hfy8kgqjf.jpeg

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Barbie, sorry to hear the sad news about Bernie. Sending all best wishes to you and Jake. ❤️❤️
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Very sad news this morning BARBIE and JAKE. Thinking of you both as you mourn the passing of your little pet and friend.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Thoughts and Prayers for Barbie and Jake. We all know how you feel and the sadness that follows.

Sandy
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Can’t think of anything else but what Barbie and Jake are feeling. No matter how much you try, no matter how practical you attempt to be, how much strength you pull together to see this through, the truth is that these fur family members were an essential part of our life. Saying goodbye hurts both physically and emotionally. When I went through this, I hugged John and our other fur family desperately. We all went through an intense grieving period. I still miss them all. Every magnificent creature that has shared our life. Reaching out through the miles, Barbie and Jake, thinking of you all.
    Patsy☘️ And John and Katie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    <3 Thank all for your words of love and comfort about Bernie. We didn't go one day too soon or one day too late. We were with him along with the vet who has known him since he was a kitten

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    26lrqoxqb0o9.jpg
    tsrlmxkhzrl6.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Sweet, sweet Bernie. Always loved, never forgotten. :'(<3

Family is here and had our first game night.
    az0pl9p8grhl.jpg

And check out these pictures for Charlies picture day. Love them.
    pl65unslmhyz.jpg
    wa5bccv92w5i.jpg

Have a wonderul day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time