Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Another day almost over and my log burner is keeping me warm as I watch another England ladies football match. It’s been cooler but still gardening weather so after a gentle stroll first thing I continued weeding. So much to do because I couldn’t work outside during our heatwave.
    My visit with Les yesterday was enjoyable and I stayed for a couple of hours while George and Betty snoozed on a sofa. At one point George did wander out of the room and when I went to look for him, found he had got into Les’s bed and was lying between the pillows peering over the top of the duvet. He looked hilarious so because Les is blind I described the scene which made him laugh! His mobility is incredible for his age and memory much sharper than mine. I’ve promised to visit again in a couple of weeks because although he has 2 loving daughters, they both work so he spends a lot of time on his own.

Patsy, I’m worried about you feeling so tired and hope today is a better one. Could it be a reaction to your vaccinations? I’m trying to remember if you had both at the same time.

Still no sign of your new neighbours Anne. That is a mystery! I can imagine the beauty of your local trees. It was always my favourite season in Canada although sometimes too short.

Lin, like you I’m starting to sort through outdoor pots ready to move some into the shelter of my greenhouse. There is a threat of cold weather and even snow next week although I’m hoping it stays in Scotland where it belongs! Another interesting ceramic teapot; I like it!

I’m sure Sandy is having fun with friends and hope you are winning!

Nearly time for bed so I’ll enjoy a Satsuma and maybe switch on my electric blanket!
    Jackie🥰
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    A bright sunny day here. The nights have been very chilly and I suspect things will only get colder from a few months.

In answer to your question about my vaccinations….yeah! I did get both ot once. And I did have more reaction although it was mainly fatigue and achy body. That was a couple of weeks ago. This ugly fatigue was due to a UTI. (Sorry TMI) on meds now, much to my displeasure. But it must be done. I also should drink a full half gallon of water per day. Yuck. I must put herb tea in at least some of that water. This really knocked me down. And it is no joke! Don’t fool around if you get it. It can be a killer.

Katie goes to the vet tomorrow for her shots and physical. Always terrifying for her. I have to give her a tranquilizer beforehand. She is a sweet but crazy doggie.

Today is Damon’s birthday. He hates to think how old he is. I do believe age is unreliable construct on who we are and how we are feeling and holding up. We are the same, usually, on our birthday as the day before, or even the week or month before. It is a day to remind other people of how glad they are that you are here.

Time for meds and more water.
    Patsy☘️👀👀

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :):) Yesterday was the first day of the big yard waste gathering in our neighborhood (a 55+ manufactured home community). In April and October, they set aside a few days when we can bring our yard waste to a designated spot. Later they take it somewhere to be shredded or composted or something. . We put our yard waste in cardboard boxes (mostly from Chewy) and put the boxes in the back of our car, then go home and refill the boxes until it's finished. All the stuff has been in the back yard under a tarp for a few weeks or in boxes in the garage.

:) Yesterday was Jake's birthday and one thing he wanted most was to get the yard waste out of the yard and garage so he could sweep the garage, rake the yard, and get the car detailed. The rest of his birthday was more relaxed with healthy food and TV watching. His daughter sent him a mushy card and a generous QFC gift card. He heard from his brother and some other friends so he enjoyed some phone time yesterday and this morning.

:) In our modest priced neighborhood people frequently buy houses before they've sold their other one so often a house will sell and there will be no evidence of anyone moving in for weeks or months.

:) I washed another section of the fence today. My next job will be sifting compost. Life is exciting here.

<3 Barbie

• JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    BREAKING NEWS here, lol. I was watching the tv news which was mainly about cars crashing into each other or people yelling and screaming in various parts of the world when a large removal van rolled onto next doors drive. The van had painted on the side "Xis Long", followed by a long line of Chinese lettering and a car also drove up and the back view of a person with blue black hair emerged. Does this mean I have Chinese neighbours this time? If so I will have lived next door to most nationalities in the last 40 years. Not to mention within our family as well. Humans are all the same I find wherever they come from and Jilly agrees as she wags her tail or barks at anyone we encounter. The other day the fairly new lady priest of our local neighbourhood church stopped to ask me if I was JILLY BEANS owner. This dog knows more people than me and I guess Mike had told her Jilly's name. Anyway, back to the removal van and that's all I know because dusk arrived and I closed the curtains.
    Off for a shower but just wanted to let you good folks know I won't be bothering you any more after weeks of speculation! LOL.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,041 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! 😁 I am winning a little money but received bad news yesterday. My children’s father passed away. My son and his aunt were with him. My son asked everyone to call him and tell him he could let go including me. It was very emotional. He is at rest now and in peace.

Will be heading home today after we stop for an early dinner.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Sad news indeed SANDY. Although very old I was also saddened by Angela Lansbury's passing just short by 5 days of her 97th birthday. So many people just recently it seems. Condolences sent to you and your children on the passing of their dad.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,089 Member
    Options
    Sandy, sorry for your family’s loss. ❤️❤️

Lin
  • jacAth3
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Sandy, I’m sorry to read your children's’ father has passed but as you say, sad as the news must have been, he is at peace now. ❤️

After my usual long walk this morning I phoned Linda to suggest coffee and her help to remove a couple of my pot bound plants from their containers, one a ginger and the other Agapanthus. It was a battle, especially the Agapanthus but after cutting round inside between edge and plant, we managed. Meanwhile George investigated a mole hill and in no time was covered in damp soil! As soon as Linda left he was showered and blasted with my hairdryer. Rain arrived soon after so not too much achieved!

Finally Anne, your new neighbours might have arrived! Fingers crossed, they will be pleasant to live next door to.

Lin, I forgot to answer your query about my distributing rat poison! Being a rural area with lots of dry stone walls, it’s something I have to live with but I do my best to keep numbers down so I don’t ever see them! Seems to work for me and the hens so the only sign they are about is the nibbled blocks!

Do take care of yourself Patsy and keep drinking the water!

Barbie, belated birthday wishes to Jake. Sounds like a perfect day for him!

Grocery shopping planned for tomorrow and I still think I’ll drive to the next town rather than sit in traffic due to road closures locally.

Low battery warning so I’ll sign off.
    Jackie 🥰
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Dear Sandy, so very sorry for your loss. I always thought is was remarkable that you remained friends with your children's father and your ex. It sounded like a complex situation. But when a person is suffering, passing brings peace.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Good evening. I did a lot of running around today and when I finally got home my sinuses started screaming at me—they did not care for the wind.

So tomorrow will be another day.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

y3gssole2v80.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Will be back later, after my meeting, two banks and a flu shot. Grocery delivery between 4-5 today.

Sandy
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Another busy and pleasant day because the predicted rain arrived in the night so I woke up to see rolls of pink sea mist along the coast but I was high enough to be in sunshine. We enjoyed a walk on the moors then I drove to the next town, Bodmin, to shop for groceries. It was busy as more shoppers discover Aldi has sensible prices along with good quality food. Home in time for a toasted bagel lunch then I got my electric saw out and cut up a bag load of recycled wood for kindling before tidying a few pots in the greenhouse. It’s a mild evening so no fire needed, just a spinach and ricotta flatbread for my evening meal. The pets are fed so all is contentment. 😊🐶😺

Time to eat then I’ll pop back to see what everyone is up to.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Not up to much here JACKIE, nothing exciting anyway. Thats because it rained all last night and hasn't dried up yet. Yesterday was pretty good though. Mark was here again, this time nailing a few roof tiles that had got sort of semi torn up in those winds we had a few weeks back. He finished painting the new garage door as well while I picked the last of the tomatoes. Then I pulled up the straggly plants. They were covered in very green tomatoes but were going yellowy leaved and with the promised rain I figured they would be horrid and slimy. Besides after a glorious warm two days the weather is getting a little chillier so not much ripening from now on
    Today was grocery delivery day and me back with my old delivery store. I did pick up a few ideas from the organic store and was delighted to find
    them on the delivery store listing as well. Dorset Cereal etc. I read that food prices have gone up by 8.5% in the USA and that seems to tally with here.
    If this keeps up My Fitness Pal will be out of business as we all slim down.

ANNE
  • linder4866
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hello, another blustery day. My last plants out on the deck could use a drink but I will wait until this evening and hope the wind will die down. 😄

Working on laundry today and trying to come up with ideas for more November birthday cards. I finished one card this morning—a long way to go to finish them. These cards are for friends and each is made to try to suit them and their tastes and interests. If all else fail, paper with a flower and a happy birthday will have to do. 🤭

Jackie, it sounds like a good and productive day. Aldi’s has the same reputation here. I prefer the sister store, Trader Joe’s but I do shop there once in a while. Aldi’s is a very popular store so attractive items are sold out in a heartbeat!

Sandy, what a day. I hope you got everything accomplished and returned home in time for your grocery delivery. Be safe.

Anne, aha, someone is finally moving in?! Wahoo. Looking for updates as they settle in. And I am not surprised that Jilly Bean is well known. She is a cute little character. A friend posted some photos and videos of a new rescue dog. This is her second adoption. She waited 3 weeks to make it public information. Looks like the two dogs are having great fun together. Running and playing tag until they collapse. Both of her dogs are little ones and of course, cute!

Patsy, how did Katie’s appointment go yesterday? And are you feeling better? Hoping all of your family is feeling good.

Barbie, Great that Jake got what he wanted for his birthday! We have recycle pickup once every 2 weeks and I often do not make the decision which boxes will be broken down and loaded into the cart. That is a lovely opportunity to get rid of lawn waste. We have to load it in special large brown paper bags and take it to the curb. Sticks and small branches have to be cut down to small sizes, bundled and tied with twine. Then you have to go to the store and buy stickers to attach to the bundle. Later this year the pickup of yard waste will cease until next spring.

Diane, I hope you are well. Have you gotten any rain?

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ppq64zjo0q4l.jpeg

• Sandydur
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) I did get everything done and groceries came on time with one substitution that I approved. Meeting was on grief as I told them my ex died and we had a mother that lost her 47 year old son to alcoholism last week. It was a good meeting with lots of support.

I just want to say to Patsy that I had an UTI a few years ago that I thought I might die from. I was sick for at least two weeks or more. The pill they give you that turns your pee orange did not work and I projected vomit after eating. It was the worst illness I ever had and I feel for you. I know I said way to much but we are all adults and ladies so I hope you understand.

Will be back in the morning because I want to post a little something about my ex on Facebook as I am feeling sentimental today. Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

P. S. Patsy mentioned that it would be nice to make this group private which is possible if you want it done. Anyone can see the group, but only members can see its content. People must apply or be invited to join. So let me know what you want me to do. We have a lot of members (225) that never post and I could delete them if that is another things you would like me to do.
    I am open to either way.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Whoopee, Series 3 of Happy Valley is on the way!
    rfy0tmp7xpbo.jpeg

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Whoopee indeed JACKIE. Hope it makes it over the pond. Anne.
    Another whoopee! The folks in Newcastle must have got my form because my wee Br. Pension arrived. The Bean and I are very grateful. ❤️❤️
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Big goings on in the British parliament and consequently my British pension increased a bit with the exchange rate. Third whoopee of the day!
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Haha Anne, there was I for once glued to our news stream as Kwasi was sent packing while Liz did her best to justify remaining as our Prime Minister, when I noticed our pound had strengthened and immediately thought of my brother’s and your British pensions! At such times, the bigger picture becomes too big to contemplate so I’m just happy for friends and family to gain from the chaos! Meanwhile, I’m googling recipes for quince jelly and preparing a chicken and chorizo stew for my slow cook pot so the world is continuing to pass me by!

Our long morning walk was followed by an even longer chat in the car park with a lady dog walker I see barely twice a year. She regaled me with her holiday in Dunoon stories while I told her about Northumberland castles and Hadrons wall!
    I was going to get some weeding done but it’s already gone 4pm so time to put the kettle on!

I read that the AMC network will carry the 3rd series of Happy Valley in Canada and USA but can’t say I’ve heard of it before. I hope you can receive it. Lin won’t like this picture of James Norton from this series… he’s looking decidedly dark!
    93q6is9m1coq.jpeg

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Options
    Jackie, you are spot on. He does not look dishy at all!! ☹️