Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• virruth
    virruth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Lin, i just had the Dexa scan and was diagnosed with osteoporosis, so doc said i really dont want you to fall. Pt had just given me exercises to work on for balance and better walking. And I fell. But I feel pretty good today so I am certain there are no broken bones. I dont see the therapist till next week, so maybe he can add more exercises to help me.
    Sandy, I was told Metamucil is good for us seniors….I buy the chocolate wafers. They are good with a cup of green tea.
    Barbie, how exciting to be getting ready for an electric car. My daughter Kari just got one and it rode very nicely.
    Today Lori and I had a couple of errands to do. Debbie’s husband was out in the country helping his sister as her husband passed away last year. So we picked up Deb to come with us and then we had a girls lunch out. It was finally a typical Valley day….blue skies and full sunshine with no wind gusts. We had a great time. The restaurant meals are so large (I havent logged yet) that lori and I wont eat dinner. I luv no kitchen work. I can read and do puzzles all evening. My granddaughter is driving down tonight after she gets off work. So will have a good weekend.. i imagine we will warm up the spa. That will be soothing.
    Well hi to all…
    Joy
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Another hot day, but joy oh joy, Mark and Mary Jo turned up with a new faucet for the kitchen sink. No more plop plops and best of all the underneath cupboard had to be cleared out for the repair, so more joy because you could say some of my spring cleaning is out of the way!

Hi JOY. Sorry about your fall. It seems to be a hazard of growing older, And SANDY, just eat broccoli every day, the wonder veg. I didn’t fall yesterday but something has gone wrong with my slippers. I poked inside and the lining has gone down one side which has done something to the left side of my foot and I’m hobbling about with a very painful foot as though I had taken a tumble. Slippers now in the garbage along with old faucet etc etc.

Michael still can’t talk, we communicate with texts and emails. I wouldn’t hear him anyway with my useless ear. Quite funny in a macabre sort of way.

Our temperature is finally dropping and we could even get snow at the end of next week. No more TV pictures of bikini clad girls playing ball on a Lake Ontario beach for a while.

Off for a shower and then to make a shepherds pie for lunch.
    Anne.

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    Finally sunshine and warm but I have to keep covered up to protect my skin which slows me up. Enjoyed a beautiful walk across the top moors after chatting to Heather’s friend Sheila in the car park. She told me Heather passed away 2 weeks ago and is extremely upset so I suggested I phone her this weekend to arrange a coffee, her place or mine. Also bumped into David with Hattie so we walked most of the way chatting about all sorts then, just as we returned to the car park, got talking to a family that it turns out live in Brittany but are looking for a second home in Cornwall and that got David interested in property prices in France!
    I’ve spent an hour cutting back a Buddleia that was shooting out branches everywhere because it should have been pruned a month ago, enjoyed a snack for lunch and will now carry out some weeding. Rain tomorrow! 😱😶‍🌫️
    Happy Saturday. I trust everyone is feeling ok?
    Jackie 🥰
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Wow, this website has suddenly speeded up! What a relief.
    Jackie
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    JACKIE, I’m so very sorry to read the sad news, I believe Chrissie’s little dog ended up with Heather? Is Sheila looking after her now?
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,039 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Another beautiful day that I could be sitting on my balcony but now into day 3. I will never take another stool softener in my life. I think the problem came from the codeine cough medicine because I never have any problems with constipation, quite the opposite. (sorry again for TMI) Anyway I keep hoping today is the day things go back to normal, so all I can do is pray.

Jackie, sorry to hear about Heather, I hope you brings some comfort to Sheila. Like Anne, I am wondering who took Chrissie's little dog. I am glad you are getting some good weather to do some gardening, your passion.

Anne, sorry about your foot, I hope it is an easy fix. I missed where Michael lost his voice, is he sick?
    Glad you got your faucet fixed and not more drip, drip, drip. The funny things is I had to stay away from broccoli for opposite reasons but we will see what happens.

Joy, it sounds like you had a wonderful day yesterday with your girls. I always enjoy being with my kids and grandkids. I hope you get some answers from your therapist and get some good balance exercises.

Patsy, I think one of the problems is my body was worn out and is now catching up with me.
    I will be fine once this is over and I can back to exercising and doing things outside. I bought my ticket to visit my daughter in Florida in May so that will perk me up. I am glad you like having your cleaning lady even if not perfect, that's how I feel about mine.

Lin, yes, there is always something that we have no control over but it does get frustrating. I really wanted to go to my meeting on Thursday and I had plans with Cheryl yesterday so I am feeling a little sorry for myself. Today is a new day and I am feeling optimistic.

Have a good day and keep smiling.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I’m shattered but the Buddleia is a lot shorter, the lawns are cut and I’ve spent some time clearing an area where the beehives were stacked. Heavy blocks are now in one pile and a suspicious rat run uncovered but I’m sure George’s loud sniffing into a hole will have scattered them. If not, a few poison sachets have been pushed underground! Chris my beekeeper friend phoned to tell me he would be over later to set up a box to transport my bees to the apiary but he arrived empty handed because apparently a hive he was going to put mine in has Queen cells developing which mine would kill if she was let loose in there! He will come up with a plan B and get back to me. Meanwhile he handed me an envelope containing £70 that he got from holding an auction at a meeting for my honey extractor that I had donated. That was a lovely surprise and I could tell he is thinking of doing something similar with my bee suit! He knows my friend Les that I visit and the news is he is home after a hospital stay and extremely grumpy because one of his daughters upset him by refusing to move in as he requested. He can be very difficult and his daughter is in her 60’s and has a life… I’ll say no more except I’m advised not to visit for now!

Anne, I understand Sheila offered to adopt Bella but Heather’s family want to keep her and because they all know her well, they can make sure that between them she is never left on her own. Im too tired to phone Sheila this evening but will find out more tomorrow. Enjoy your Shepherds pie. 🧑🏻‍🍳

Sandy, I'm glad you mentioned Patsy’s post because it arrived the same time I posted and I missed it!

Patsy, as far as I understand it, the words housework and perfect do not belong in the same sentence! 😆 Your neighbour does sound perfect though and it’s wonderful to read you are planning picnics after his power washing escapades.

Time to put another layer on. The heater is on in my snug but if I watch tv I will probably be asleep in minutes! I think instead I will take a Google look at the area of California Joy lives in and dream of sunny days by the pool!
    Jackie 😴
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if everyone is starting to get spring fever and I am as well. Love looking at all of my fotinea lining my back fence with its beautiful red leaves. Lots of work ahead pruning all of that in the coming months. Our gardener starts the job, but since he comes 2x a month it takes forever to complete the job. Guess who ends up working at it on a daily basis to finish it, but every year that is much harder.

Joy.....I am a native Californian. I have lived just north of Sacramento for many years now. How did you endure all of the rain we had this winter ? Hope things have dried up and the crops are starting to get planted. Big concern on how well the produce and fruit will do with such a late start. Thankfully no problems like so many others had this winter and so nice to see the sun again. Sorry to hear of your fall, but hopefully you are feeling better.

Sandy....It seems as if it is one thing or another right now for you. That Dulcolax is mean stuff and I do remember my dr making me use it once. Never again and it is on my records. Hoping you are starting to feel better or maybe another trip to the dr or at least a call to him would be in order. Get some rest !

Need to get going to go to our 13 yr old granddaughters softball game soon. I am hoping the season ends before our hot weather comes. This grandma doesn't do well sitting outside in our heat. I will never get used to it.

Thinking of everyone else too. You all take care of yourselves.

Diane
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,087 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone. I finished my laundry today and started cleaning a closet. So far it is more straightening than actually tossing things out. I have a plastic tote full of shoes and inserts and other misc. items. Maybe I will look through that tomorrow.

Diane, hello. Maybe you could be a bit selective about the games you attend? I have a friend who has a number of grandchildren in activities and she plans what she will attend and what she will skip. Of course she needs a ride now and she isn’t trying to line up transportation for everything this year. She says she cannot adapt to the weather as well now.

Jackie, wow, what a day. You accomplished so much. Well done. Sleep well!

Sandy, I believe pain killers do cause constipation. And you are right, it was in your cough syrup. But you have to keep the pipes moving. I hope this doesn’t happen to you again.

Anne, I am not sure what happened to Michael that he lost his voice. I know he was unwell. He doesn’t have Covid though right? Happy new faucet. It is lovely when you do not hear the drips!

Joy, I am glad to hear you didn’t break any bones. Very fortunate given the results of your recent scan. I hope you are enjoying the weekend.

Patsy, Barbie and Jeri, hope you are well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

1j7bwxpnacah.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :) Today it was so damp and chilly that neither of us could gather the enthusiasm to work in the yard. Instead we put Bessie in bed with us and took a long nap. When I got up, I put on a lot of outerwear and took a walk. A few people were working in their yards but not many.

:)Sandy, I took Tramadol for pain a few years ago before I got treatment for the compression spinal fracture. It caused me terrible constipation and I took a bunch of stuff including Metamucil several times a day to relieve it. It was terrible but eventually went away.

:)Diane, I don't do well in heat. When we lived near Redding, I spent most of my time in the house except when I drove in my air conditioned car to the air conditioned store. I did no yard work at all.

:) We have been doing the kind of clutter clearing that involves dealing with one piece of paper at a time. Important, but it feels like emptying the pool with a teaspoon.

<3 Barbie
  • Loveburg87
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Wow, lots of comments to read above me.

First of all was SANDY, and Sandy I’m so pleased you are feeling more like the Sandy we love. Life hasn’t been exactly peaceful for you just lately and your body is definitely telling you “hey girl let’s get back to normal and just doing the things we love”. It’s a funny thing but Mary Jo’s neighbour lost her husband to dementia the same week Maria’s Tony died. Months, even years of sadness and sorrow have both ladies reacting in similar fashion. MJs neighbour, an American lady, is selling up and moving back to the southern states to live with her sister in a jointly bought house and Maria has sold up to live with her sister here. I can’t speak for Maria, but MJs neighbour is shaking off the years of care and is looking forward to a future “at home”. I love the American lady’s attitude. She did her best, but life moves on.

JACKIE, wonderful news that little Bella is safe. Now there’s a little dog that’s had a hectic life of change. You too must be feeling like a loads been lifted now the bees are safely on their way! I’m praying my hydrangea survives. I water every day now she’s replanted and it turns out so does Mary Jo.

PATSY. Is there such a thing as the perfect cleaning lady? Reminds me of when my friend Ellen acquired a cleaning lady. A very large and extremely cheerful lady from the West Indies with an accent to match. We all loved her but her job ceased when Ellen caught her sweeping the floor debris under the rug rather than being put in the dustbin. A big house with rugs and later finding all contained little piles of rubbish.

DIANE, I will never get used to the heat either. I don’t tan either so usually end up buried under a big hat with a red nose poking out!

LIN, clearing out closets like me. Mike hasn’t got Corvid, we don’t know what he’s got except it’s the same as his coworker. Yesterday he phoned me to finally have a squeak for a short time, not sounding at all like Michael. So the voice is on the way back and he thinks he will be back at work on Monday.

BARBIE, another summer heat hater! I have been known to cuddle up with my Jilly Bean as well on chilly days! Sometimes I’m not sure if Jilly is becoming human or I am becoming dog like. We meet somewhere in the middle except she has the advantage of having a tail to constantly wag.
    Well that’s me done with.

Happy spring cleaning and gardening, ladies.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Watched Mass on TV this morning, still not ready to venture out. Things are much better but not perfect. I had a good night so things are looking up. Today is a new day and still have much hope things will get back to normal today.
    Getting some rain today so it's a good day to stay in and binge watch some shows. I just hope I can get to my eye doctor and accountant tomorrow since taxes are due in two days.

Anne, my SIL also told me that part of my problem is grief and my body is reacting. I have read other articles that say you can get sick while grieving and adding the codeine cough medicine didn't help.
    So I am planning on having a wonderful summer with my Florida trip and the family reunion in July.
    Life does move on!!!

Barbie, I kind of did this to myself by taking too much dulcolax, but it is a lesson learned the hard way. I knew after googling it would take 3 1/2 days to get out of my system and indeed it did. Pain pills are dangerous for the system but good for the pain.

Lin, I also hope this doesn't happen to me again, I am too old for this. I cleaned out my closet once I removed Babe's clothes so I am a step ahead of all of you.

Diane, good idea to put on my chart not to take dulcolax as a reminder of these past 3 days. I only had this problem once before when I had knee surgery and took pain pills, but what do you do when you are in severe pain? My memory is not the best but are you living with one of your daughters? I hate to ask but are you married? Sorry if I am being too nosey.

Jackie, you amaze me when you talk about critters like rats while being so calm, or slugs which are so ugly. You are one tough lady. Nice job on collecting a surprise check. I do hope Chris finds a good home for your bees, he seems to really want to help.

I am going to try and eat a normal breakfast and hope for the best. Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited April 2023
    Options
    It’s back to cool and cloudy so after the shortest walk this morning I decided to stay in and get some hoovering and dusting done. Annoyingly, when I checked my contacts in my phone I found Sheila’s name but no phone number so I can only think when I typed in the information as we stood in the car park, I forgot to save it. I hate letting people down but have a rough idea where she lives so after tomorrow’s walk I will stop in her village and ask around.

Forgive my British humour Sandy but when you typed to Lin that you are too old for this then the next sentence began I cleaned out my closet, just for a second I took it as a euphemism for something else which made me giggle! When pain killers are prescribed after an operation we are sent home with a bottle of Lactulose syrup that is supposed to be gentle but I’m not so sure any of these remedies are! I’m glad you are feeling better and making future plans. Living in a rural area I’ve come to accept a few nasties share my space but agree slugs and snails are the worst!

Anne, on last week’s Gardeners World programme the presenter moved a Hydrangea bush and said how important it was to water it every day because the roots are shallow so I’m sure yours won’t mind both you and MJ watering it! Remind me, did you or your ex work at the Rolls Royce factory in Derby, only I overheard my dog walking friend David telling the man from Brittany that he had worked there years ago?

Back to Alice in Wonderland Lin! I remember when Alice became tiny and complained to the caterpillar how awful it was to only be 3” high he was very cross because at full height that was his limit so told her off “How dare you!” I don’t mind caterpillars so long as they don’t chew my lettuces!

Hello Diane. Always lovely to hear from you, and Barbie. Time for me to settle down for the evening after enjoying roast chicken and brown rice.

Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    edited April 2023
    Options
    JACKIE, yes my ex worked at the Rolls Royce design office in Derby. He was an engine design engineer. I can’t remember the name just now but he also worked in France for a while on a French/British engine. Javelin rings a bell but probably wrong. He was sort of “poached” when RR had problems way back in 1973. Hence us landing in Canada. We lived in Mickleover for 12 years.

I too wondered for an instance about Sandy clearing out her closet. Guess I haven’t lost the British sense of humour after all!

Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,087 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello. I watched church online this morning, made a nice lunch and then dived into cleaning the tiny closet. Literally dived in, pulled things out, dusted around the edges and the walls, and then sorted. I have some things to drop off at charity shop, some things went straight in the bin. Some were relocated to other parts of the house. I was glad to find my old SAS shoes. They were in the mystery container. Yes! I also found an older pair of my walking shoes that I want to use for outside work. I put different insoles in them and they are ready to use. Then I spent quite a while crushing old shoe boxes and sorting plastic from the packaging materials.

It is so cold today, windy and snow fell most of the day. Tomorrow the sun may be back for a visit and we should get out of the 30’s again.

Sandy, Jackie, and Anne—I am 100% American. I knew what Sandy meant immediately so missed any humor!

Jackie, I hope you find the missing phone number. So frustrating when that happens.

Anne, I hope Michael’s squeak turns back to his normal voice soon.

Barbie, when the weather is bad, the outdoors work must wait. I am sure you and Jake will accomplish what is necessary.

Diane, I hear the melt is on now in California. I hope some of the water can be captured in reservoirs.

Must move along. Sitting down feels good.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Deco tea set
    7otcd0pml0oy.jpeg

• virruth
    Options
    Hi to Anne, Barbie, Diane, Jackie, Lin, Sandy….I am sitting back relaxing. My granddaughter just left to drive home to the Sf Bay Area. She has been working long hours and so busy that she kept thanking us for the weekend. I guess it was just what she needed…the Aunties and Granny Joy doting on her. The weather was perfect….really spring time temps and not as hot as it gets in the summer here. Lori grilled on the Blackstone and it was delicious. Sara spent all her time in the hot tub. Charlie got back from his sisters ranch exhausted and joined her after dinner….lots of ahs from him, too. I see from yesterdays post everyone is busy. You are all such an inspiration 😍
  • Sandydur
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) I think I am finally back, things are normal again. Good thing, because Rob needs me for a couple of hours and then I have to get taxes and take my glasses to eye doctor.
    I had five days of staying in and although there is snow on the roof tops I will welcome the fresh air.

UPDATE: While I started to drive to Rob's he called and said he didn't need me after all and he would be home for Max's bus. I turned around and came home and will do the other two errands after lunch.

Have a good day,
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • virruth
    Options
    Oh this is Tax Day isnt it. Well, enjoy your free morning. So glad you are feeling better!
  • jacAth3
    Options
    A busy day for me beginning with an early shopping trip for groceries, then I took George and Betty for a walk on the moors. High clouds hid the sun but that awful cold wind has gone for now so it was pleasant. On the way home I detoured to Sheila’s village, parked up and took the pooches in the general direction that I thought she lived. I was just thinking I would have to knock on a few doors when a man in overalls walked past carrying a water can so I asked if he knew a lady called Sheila with a small brown terrier and it turned out he was a gardener doing work for her. She was delighted to see us and we stayed for coffee, George snoozing on a foot stall while Betty was unsettled and kept wandering and her dog Rosie sat under a coffee table watching proceedings! We have exchanged phone numbers and arranged to walk together on Thursday morning but she is an early bird so wants to meet at 0830. I hope it isn’t too cold!
    This afternoon I pruned another Buddleia and ran the branches through the shredder but then Barney, the gardener who trimmed hedges for me before Christmas, messaged to ask if I still wanted him to do more work as he thinks he has free time tomorrow. I’ve explained the beehive is still here so he won’t be able to cut back the Laurel next to the hive but I’m sure we can find plenty of jobs.

Anne, when I get a chance I will ask David what exactly he did at Rolls Royce. He’s the same age as me so in the 70’s would have been in his twenties. Funny your ex was a design engineer because my partner John was too and worked on new snowmobiles at Massey Ferguson in Toronto. They also ran into problems and never made a great success of it so probably should have stuck to agricultural tractors!

Good to read you are finally back to normal Sandy.

Joy, sounds like a beautiful weekend for you,

Just what I need Lin, a decent pair of inexpensive shoes for gardening. Spring is in the air if cupboards are being turned out!

George has already gone to bed and I won’t be far behind him. We are promised sunshine tomorrow although
    not particularly warm so I’ll aim to walk early then potter until Barney gets here.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your day.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    JACKIE, It would indeed be a coincidence if your David knew my ex, but probably not seeing the ex was 37 when he left RR. My ex was easily rememberable though. He was very good looking with thick wavy black hair. Much better looking than me for sure.

We have been stuck inside today but I’m not complaining. We dropped from 25C overnight to 7C. Cold and pouring rain all day but hopefully the wet will help the now two hydrangeas survive.

Mike remains home still. The works receptionist said he sounded awful when he phoned in. His job involves the public so he could hardly squeak at them all day! We’ve text a lot, mainly about artificial intelligence and I’ve read and learnt a lot. It’s quite frightening actually. Apparently when one was designed to communicate in just English it taught itself 43 languages in the blink of an eyelash. The scientists are all enthusiastic but I don’t know. It seems artists and authors are obsolete now! Did you see the photo on BBC. It won an award for best photograph until the photographer confessed it was AI created. I guess we can still pull the plug on it but in the wrong hands……oh boy!

On that cheerful note I will buzz off and make a cuppa while I watch the news which is sure to be just as depressing!

Anne.