Links to 5:2 Information - Mosley Documentary etc.

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
These are links that helped me with 5:2, when I started. I recommend all newbies or people seeking information watch the eat-fast-live-longer documentary.

Documentary from Michael Mosley-English
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

Documentary from Michael Mosley - German
http://www.spiegel.tv/filme/bbc-fasten-macht-gluecklich/

Link to Mosley's Website
http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

The Fast Guide (I don't completely agree with this presentation, but most of it is good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW9Aj6hRYg4A&app=desktop

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/10-unbelievable-diet-rules-backed-science

<bumping thread up>

Replies

• orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this...

I know Foamroller is working on something with added info/links, spreadsheet, etc. So I'm going to stick this thread in the announce section until she finishes.
  • flumi_f
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wow, my post is pinned to the announcements. Don't I feel important B)

And to anyone interested....my monthly progress on 5:2 can be found on my profile page, my weekly losses / gains on my ticker. It should be viewable to all MFP Members.
  • orlcam
    Options
    MFP still has some flaws in this design...when you take a thread and turn it into an announcement it pulls it out of the discussion section. Meaning if someone goes straight to (or bookmarks) the "all discussions" section (instead of group) then they will never see the announcements. Also there are no viewable stats, so you don't know when new posts have been added. Stickies, pinning, whatever it was called...I think was a better way to go...not sure why they changed it.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    thank you both for posting this.......
  • flumi_f
    Options
    https://www.fastday.com/buzz/avoid-these-5-common-fasting-mistakes/

Another good link for Newbies and Oldies...
  • orlcam
    Options
    Here's a copy of an message I posted outside of the 5:2 group:
    In an attempt to help other dieters in the 5:2 Fasting group I've created a calculator that addresses many of the limitations found in others around the web.

It is completely self-contained (on one page) and has no ads or annoying redirects; only info directly related to BMR, TDEE, and BMI. I'm just paying it forward...giving back to those on MyFitnessPal who have encouraged and inspired me.

There is a lot of info on this page (by clicking the help icons) if you really want to understand what's behind the calculations and final values. I also put in options to manually change "calories burned per pound of fat" and the "activity level factor" for those who want even more control when tweaking their numbers.

There is also a a fully interactive weight goal section which includes a BMI comparison (against other BMI's), a BMR warning bar (for those who follow the rule of not eating under your BMR...on average), a separate exercise field (if you want to pull your exercise calories out of the activity factor) along with a section specifically for intermittent fasting.

I saw a lot of other threads addressing the limitations of other calculators but didn't want to "hijack" any of them, so I started my own (this one).

The calculator is located at:
    www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged. While I may not be able to add all of the features you may want (or need), I'll certainly see what I can do.

Also, please report any errors, broken links, or misspellings.

Thanks, I hope this will help others.
  • orlcam
    Options
    Here's an older cached message I found with a link to foamroller's spreadsheet:
    @foamroller
    TOPIC: See your trends easier?
    October 3, 2014 7:55 AM

I feel it's somewhat hard to really keep track of how I'm doing in the 5:2 journey. The kcal intake jumps from 500-2000. I haven't found any app or site that will keep track of both weight loss and exercise TOGETHER in an overview.

To be able to easier see my trends I made a monthly template spreadsheet where I can get a clear overview of my NET INTAKE. Since I still don't know where my threshold is, I need to keep a close eye on my average/day. This way I'll know precisely how I'm doing. If you got some deadline, "getting into that dress" or "beach-ready", knowing if you're behind schedule or not, maybe it can help you.

Of course it will also show quite clearly when I'm disappointing myself. I'd like to believe it's easier to adjust that, when I know exactly when and how much I indulged over budget.

I'm so happy with it, I thought would be good to share.
    Disclaimer: I've never made a spreadsheet before...so if you guys have any ideas or input on how to improve or have a better spreadsheet...please let me know!

Color coding: I've put in some suggestions. You're free to customize them and move around to your tastes:)
    Yellow = fast day
    Orange = weekend. yep, there is no coincidence that 7-eleven logo is green, orange, white...
    You'll have to change the dates and days manually.
    Insert extra rows if Note-section gets too long.

Happy weekend, everybody:)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1i56SCvwUOlcHUSFJPByNyGigH0lNvNaRoRMkPZ9Ho8s/edit?usp=sharing
  • orlcam
    Options
    Wanted to add these 2 threads here also....good general info/ideas, food swaps, and recipes:

Fasting Day FD recipe ideas LUNCH and DINNER
    Fasting day FD recipe ideas SNACKS and OTHER
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ty orlcam! i am really excited about incorporating these recipe ideas as this was my first fast day with the 5:2. Did not plan it super well BUT after reading up all day when I could, i feel much more prepared for my next fast day on Thursday.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    http://www.getthegloss.com/article/10-ways-to-be-a-successful-5-2-dieter

Another link with a few good tips for you all.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Found this in another post in the general section. I think, it pretty much wraps up weightloss....

qbbmagcc1889.jpg
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This diagram ^ above ^ is really helpful!
  • orlcam
    Options
    Something interesting:
    http://www.cosmicscientist.com/ted-talk-neuroscientist-shows-what-fasting-does-to-your-brain/
    This is a link to an article which talks about the positive effects of fasting. It is based on a TED Talk which is linked at the bottom of the article. I haven't watched it, yet, but I fully intend to later. :smile:
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    How to see your page flumi_f? I want to know the results of others.... Newbie here.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Hi @jopalis welcome! We hope you will join us.
    Feel free to join us in the weekly post as well as in the other active posts below.
    Tell us about yourself.
    A lot of folks have their stats private, unless you are connected with them via MFP as a friend. Myself included
    Please make yourself comfortable here and let us know what you would like to know about 5:2.
    A lot of us here have had a lot of success with the plan. I am down around 35 pounds since I started in late March.
    Meghan
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That is awesome results! Thank you!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    jopalis wrote: »
    How to see your page flumi_f? I want to know the results of others.... Newbie here.

Assume you mean my monthly progress...been in maintaince since mid 2014. I just track my daily weight since then. Still fasting, not as strict with logging. Stabilizedabout 5kg over my lowest. Still need to keep things under control and my goel is to lose those regained kilos. Life got in the way a bit ;) . Long story short...still 22kg lost on 5:2 and 32kg lower than my highest weight.
  • PaulRaymond
    PaulRaymond Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just starting this and have a couple of questions if I may. It suits me better to have 3 meals on fast days, is this not recommended as I am not giving myself enough of a break from digestion? Secondly, is there any way to fix the MFP application so that I don't get a telling off on fast days - you are not eating enough! Thanks.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Hi @PaulRaymond welcome! We are glad you joined us.

You are allowed to eat whatever you want, whenever you want on 5:2, as long as you stick within the alloted 500 calories for women or 600 calories for men for the day.

Note that back in March Dr. Mosely did raise the calorie limits to 800 but I still go with the lower limits as I find they work fine for me.

The best way to get the app to not tell you off LOL is to just not close out your day on Fast Days. That is what I do. Honestly I don't close out my day on any day. I just use it as my calculator and keep going forward. :) Hope that helps!
  • PaulRaymond
    PaulRaymond Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Meghan509 wrote: »
    Hi @PaulRaymond welcome! We are glad you joined us.

You are allowed to eat whatever you want, whenever you want on 5:2, as long as you stick within the alloted 500 calories for women or 600 calories for men for the day.

Note that back in March Dr. Mosely did raise the calorie limits to 800 but I still go with the lower limits as I find they work fine for me.

The best way to get the app to not tell you off LOL is to just not close out your day on Fast Days. That is what I do. Honestly I don't close out my day on any day. I just use it as my calculator and keep going forward. :) Hope that helps!
    Thank you!