Two months have passed since that eye-opening post, and I haven't binged since

Options
I posted the post below two months ago (well, two months and a day). Somehow it feels like a lifetime ago, yet I still remember it so clearly. As I said above, I have not binged since, not even once.
I have been dieting, exercising, and losing weight, but nothing too extreme. Each week I have changed aspects: first simply not binge, but don't bother tracking, then track and eat maintenance, then go into a small deficit, etc...
The weight gain over such a short period of time had robbed me of my confidence and made me fear for my health more than ever before.
That night I promised myself that no matter what... I wouldn't binge again. I did not promise myself that I would eat X amount of calories a day or work out X amounts of times a day or weigh X pounds by X date... I simply promised myself to take away what had been taking my life away. I read a lot, I went to psychologists ( I am not yet sure how much this helped, but I'm still seeing them), talked to family members I once believed couldn't understand me, and examined every aspect of my life, and tried to work on improving it everyday, succeeding some days and failing on others, but never bingeing.
It wasn't easy; especially in the beginning. But I decided to accept that I had full control over what I ate, how much I ate, and that bingeing was killing me.
I feel alive again, and it's not because all my problems have gone away. Life still gets so hard, so stressful so painful, frustrating and sad at times; but the self-inflicted pain and hurt has gone. I still have a lot of weight to lose, my confidence is still low, but I feel like I can move on. This is the longest I haven't binged for over two years.
Good luck to all of us.

I've been AWOL for a while. Things got really stressfull, as they say, life got in the way... Short summery is that I've been struggling with binge eating since June, but through extreme restriction some days and overexercising on others I was able to keep the actual weight gain low. I decided this last month just to focus on no more bingeing, without restriction or overexercising, but couldn't do it.

I have gained almost 18 pounds in two months (12 kg) and I am 5 foot 2 inches. I hadn't weighed myself for a few weeks, but I was just in denial.

I feel a bit desperate. Somehow nothing seems real right now. Any advice for today and the next days? How do I deal with such a set back?

September 9, 2014 7:42AM
Flag

Replies

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are an inspiration :)
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you :-) Trying my best everyday...
  • BoubouChan
    BoubouChan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I feel alive again, and it's not because all my problems have gone away. Life still gets so hard, so stressful so painful, frustrating and sad at times; but the self-inflicted pain and hurt has gone. I still have a lot of weight to lose, my confidence is still low, but I feel like I can move on. This is the longest I haven't binged for over two years.
    Good luck to all of us.

Congratulations for this amazing and inspiring binge-free streak! I especially like what you said here. It reminds me that life doesn't have to be "perfect" for me to stop binging.
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    BoubouChan wrote: »
    Good luck to all of us.

Congratulations for this amazing and inspiring binge-free streak! I especially like what you said here. It reminds me that life doesn't have to be "perfect" for me to stop binging.

Thank you for the encouragement. I know exactly what you mean: that was one thing I realized too. I remember feeling overwhelmed, and bingeing helping me along, even if it was just for that day. I always wanted to fix everything so they'd be no reason to binge. I thought, if I'm not sad, anxious, angry, etc... then I'll feel complete and stop doing this to myself. I now realize that sometimes life isn't going to go my way at all, but bingeing really will make it worse.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational - thank you for sharing. This gave me a lot to think about. You've done a lot of hard work to get here, congratulations on the awesome progress!!
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    Very inspirational - thank you for sharing. This gave me a lot to think about. You've done a lot of hard work to get here, congratulations on the awesome progress!!

Thank you so much for the kind words! I love sharing on this forum: it's a rare place of support for people with BED.
  • birdie_mmw
    birdie_mmw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and a testament to the fact the we can all overcome our struggles if we just take stock of what is going on in our lives. We cannot control everything that happens in our lives but we can control how we treat ourselves. With the right support systems in place, no one is unstoppable at overcoming binge eating disorder. Congratulations to you for taking each day as an opportunity to take better care of yourself. You are truly an inspiration.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That's a wonderful achievement.
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    birdie_mmw wrote: »
    You are amazing and a testament to the fact the we can all overcome our struggles if we just take stock of what is going on in our lives. We cannot control everything that happens in our lives but we can control how we treat ourselves. With the right support systems in place, no one is unstoppable at overcoming binge eating disorder. Congratulations to you for taking each day as an opportunity to take better care of yourself. You are truly an inspiration.

Reading this moved me deeply and made my day! Inspiring someone through my story? Wow... I am truly pleased. :smile:
    You're right: accepting that there is so much in life we don't control is key. Once we do this, we can let go of so much baggage... but it isn't easy, but I'm trying. I now regard as every day without bingeing a step away from unhappiness and bad health, and a step towards better health, more confidence, looking better. I am slowly leaving an old lifestyle behind... but life is never going to be perfect.
    It's now ten weeks since my last binge. I'm getting so used to not-bingeing, that sometimes I wonder why I ever did it, but I know all too well that my reasons at the time were real and I remind myself of this every once in a while.

• Summerfit321
    Options
    Congratulations. That's a wonderful achievement.

Thank you!

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    That is amazing, thank you so much for posting!
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    That is amazing, thank you so much for posting!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

It has now been almost two-and a half months. I am so determined to move past this problem.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Wow...that is such an accomplishment!!!
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    lamlam2013 wrote: »
    Wow...that is such an accomplishment!!!

Thank you!
    Tomorrow is eleven weeks. :smile:

I am starting to learn how to live...
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you and proud of you!!! How inspiring!!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I know how hard it is to break free from disordered eating. I found success doing something similar, just by focusing on eating for health instead of trying to lose weight or eat at a certain calorie level. <3
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    Thanks Tequila and FluffyDogsRule for the encouragement!
    As of today it's been 11 weeks since I stopped bingeing.
    I realize that the past few weeks have been much easier than the beginning. My old trigger foods are now just food again: they're in the house and I can eat them if I want, but I never binge on them. So to anyone who stops: it really can get better over time! The one thing that really does still linger is the fear of bingeing, but hey, that might never go away completely.
    I've had some tough times in my personal life: loads of stress, etc... but it can't compare to how stressful it was whilst I was binge- eating. I realize that the relief I got from bingeing was maintaining a vicious cycle.

I still don't know exactly why I binged.

Since I stopped I have dropped 3 clothing sizes, people tell me now that I look so different, and I see it too... but I'm still too scared to weigh myself. Bad weigh-ins have triggered me in the past. Further more, I still want to lose more weight, and weight loss is hard.

I mark out each day on a calendar of 28 days. I now have two completed calendars. It is a daily reminder of what I'm doing. :smile:
  • BoubouChan
    BoubouChan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the update! Your story is very encouraging. It's awesome that you can have trigger foods at home and not binge on them. But it's like you said, they're just food. No reason they should have some sort of crazy power over you.
  • Summerfit321
    Options
    BoubouChan wrote: »
    Thank you for the update! Your story is very encouraging. It's awesome that you can have trigger foods at home and not binge on them. But it's like you said, they're just food. No reason they should have some sort of crazy power over you.

It's crazy right, how much food can change our lives? I think that that's a huge difference between the average person and a binge-eater: food controls us so much. My family could never understand why I would *kitten* and moan about there being too many sweets in the house. "Just have one, or two... don't eat it if you don't want..." I understand where they're coming from: binge-eating is practically impossible to understand if you've never suffered from it.
    But yeah... I now feel comfortable having any amount of any food in the house at any time. I stick now to my kcal everyday (sometimes go over or under by 50 kcal...) and live my life. Logging is annoying at times, but I log 6 days a week, sometimes I let Friday be no-logging day, but I stay very reasonable on what I eat. Bingeing now would break my heart.

Meanwhile it's almost twelve weeks post bingeing. Life has been far from perfect, but I'm starting to feel very excited about a binge-free future. :smile:
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It's crazy right, how much food can change our lives? I think that that's a huge difference between the average person and a binge-eater: food controls us so much. My family could never understand why I would *kitten* and moan about there being too many sweets in the house. "Just have one, or two... don't eat it if you don't want..." I understand where they're coming from: binge-eating is practically impossible to understand if you've never suffered from it.
    But yeah... I now feel comfortable having any amount of any food in the house at any time. I stick now to my kcal everyday (sometimes go over or under by 50 kcal...) and live my life. Logging is annoying at times, but I log 6 days a week, sometimes I let Friday be no-logging day, but I stay very reasonable on what I eat. Bingeing now would break my heart.

Meanwhile it's almost twelve weeks post bingeing. Life has been far from perfect, but I'm starting to feel very excited about a binge-free future. :smile:

That whole post is amazing.

I now feel comfortable having any amount of any food in the house at any time.

That part is the most amazing.