General Q&A Thread

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Never been a fan of pendlay rows. Way too much chance to have your form wrong and hurt your lower back. I stick to bent-over barbell rows, which are similar but safer IMHO.

I do Pendlays and find them far more comfortable than bent over bb rows. If you are used to bracing your core and keeping a flat back during squats and deads it should not be an issue.
  • Jodiec92
    Jodiec92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Jodiec92 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've just joined this group and love all of the helpful tips so far :)

I’m currently on my 9th week of training. Before this I was eating completely unhealthy with no exercise, and now I mainly eat natural/unprocessed foods. I was under eating at first (averaging 9-1000 a day – bad, I know) but for the past 3 weeks or so I have upped to at least 1400 a day and have been focusing on increasing protein & good fats. (I have opened up my diary if you want to take a look).

Alongside healthy eating, I have been going to the gym 5x a week doing a mix of strength training (as heavy as I can, which isn’t that heavy atm), HIIT, and some steady state cardio.

My stats are:
    5’8, weighing 175lbs (79kg) Side note: I started at 196lbs, 9 weeks ago. Overall goal is between 140-150lbs (I’m more going off how my clothes fit, so ideally drop 2 dress sizes).

I just wanted to ask whether you think I should continue as I am (as I am still losing weight) or add more cals etc. I always stress over whether I’m eating too much of a certain food type/group, rather than the overall numbers. If I were to increase, would it matter if it was in carbs, protein or fat? **I work a desk job so I'm not that active outside my workouts. (on rest days I never know whether I should eat less)
    I tend to be an ‘all or nothing’ person so it’s definitely taking work to find a middle ground while meeting my goal.

Thanks in advance :)

What has your weight done in the last 4 weeks (weekly if you have it)? What have your macros been over that period (average per week) in grams?

How are your energy and adherence levels? Are you lifts improving?

Thanks for your reply :)

In the last 4 weeks – based on weekly average my macros have been:

20/3/15 – C: 86g P: 69g F: 33g 182lbs
    27/3/15 – C: 95g P: 85g F: 36g 180lbs
    3/4/15 – C: 116g P: 86g F: 41g 176lbs
    10/4/15 – C: 139g P: 103g F: 42g 175lbs

As you can see I have been increasing each week. (I've never looked at it from a weekly view before so this is definitely interesting to see how the week balances out)

I'm happy with my results so far, but I do want to make sure that I'm doing this in the right way? Although I've made progress, I feel like I still have SO far still left to go.

My energy levels vary tbh, the odd day I will lack energy but I think that's just down to long days! I feel 1000x better than before I started eating healthy. My lifts are improving, and especially my HIIT (at first I was sprinting at 11mph, now I'm at 14mph for 1.5 mins/on 1 min/off).

I haven't had any 'off' meals or days, I enjoy eating this way and have found my cravings to have gone / found healthier versions, but I can feel myself starting to 'overthink' and complicate things!
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking for somewhere to ask this, and think this thread may be appropriate.

Ive recently started Stronglifts, and am now considering where I should be with my calories.

I lost 2 stone over last year, and have been in maintenance since January - which seems to be around 2000 calories a day. Prior this I have done no training whatsoever, resistance or otherwise.

Since starting Stronglifts Ive been a little more flexible in that, often eating a few hundred calories more (a few hundred more than that while on holiday the other other week!) and the scale has shifted a mighty 2lbs in that time, so my guess is Im still somewhere around maintenance.

Ive been thinking recently, what is the optimal calorie level to take advantage of the mythical noob gains I could benefit from?

Im not looking to bulk up, and I certainly dont expect to - but I suspect there is a sweet spot between maximising the early potential and just packing on weight.

Any thoughts? Its greatly appreciated!
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to "gain .5 lbs. a week" -- then I eat back the calories that my FitBit tracks.

Is this a stupid idea?

As a point of reference, I'm 31 M 193 lbs. Using this method, I've been averaging about 3200 calories a day. Less on rest days, more on workout days, more on rest days where I end up doing something active like walking around or mowing the lawn.

Also it's only been about a week and a half.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have MFP set to "gain .5 lbs. a week" -- then I eat back the calories that my FitBit tracks.

Is this a stupid idea?

As a point of reference, I'm 31 M 193 lbs. Using this method, I've been averaging about 3200 calories a day. Less on rest days, more on workout days, more on rest days where I end up doing something active like walking around or mowing the lawn.

Also it's only been about a week and a half.

What are your goals and what has your weight done over the last say 2 months (weekly if you have it).
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I went from about 202 to 192 from 01JAN to Easter. I have weekly averages but not on my phone.

It was fairly linear but as the timeline would suggest, slow.

My big goal is to hit 225 on the bench press. My intermediate goal is to rep body weight 5x5. I'm about five lbs. away from that.

I'd also like to see 135x5 on the OHP. Currently at 120.

Weight goals? Maybe back up to 200, 205 and then lean out a bit. Depends on BF at that point I guess and how I'm carrying it.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    livcurious wrote: »
    Continuing the alternative protein powder questions - any vegan favorites (brands/flavors) that aren't too grainy?

I like Vega.
  • Jodiec92
    Jodiec92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I've just joined this group and love all of the helpful tips so far :)

I’m currently on my 9th week of training. Before this I was eating completely unhealthy with no exercise, and now I mainly eat natural/unprocessed foods. I was under eating at first (averaging 9-1000 a day – bad, I know) but for the past 3 weeks or so I have upped to at least 1400 a day and have been focusing on increasing protein & good fats. (I have opened up my diary if you want to take a look).

Alongside healthy eating, I have been going to the gym 5x a week doing a mix of strength training (as heavy as I can, which isn’t that heavy atm), HIIT, and some steady state cardio.

My stats are:
    5’8, weighing 175lbs (79kg) Side note: I started at 196lbs, 9 weeks ago. Overall goal is between 140-150lbs (I’m more going off how my clothes fit, so ideally drop 2 dress sizes).

I just wanted to ask whether you think I should continue as I am (as I am still losing weight) or add more cals etc. I always stress over whether I’m eating too much of a certain food type/group, rather than the overall numbers. If I were to increase, would it matter if it was in carbs, protein or fat? **I work a desk job so I'm not that active outside my workouts. (on rest days I never know whether I should eat less)
    I tend to be an ‘all or nothing’ person so it’s definitely taking work to find a middle ground while meeting my goal.

Thanks in advance :)

What has your weight done in the last 4 weeks (weekly if you have it)? What have your macros been over that period (average per week) in grams?

How are your energy and adherence levels? Are you lifts improving?

Thanks for your reply :)

In the last 4 weeks – based on weekly average my macros have been:

20/3/15 – C: 86g P: 69g F: 33g 182lbs
    27/3/15 – C: 95g P: 85g F: 36g 180lbs
    3/4/15 – C: 116g P: 86g F: 41g 176lbs
    10/4/15 – C: 139g P: 103g F: 42g 175lbs

As you can see I have been increasing each week. (I've never looked at it from a weekly view before so this is definitely interesting to see how the week balances out)

I'm happy with my results so far, but I do want to make sure that I'm doing this in the right way? Although I've made progress, I feel like I still have SO far still left to go.

My energy levels vary tbh, the odd day I will lack energy but I think that's just down to long days! I feel 1000x better than before I started eating healthy. My lifts are improving, and especially my HIIT (at first I was sprinting at 11mph, now I'm at 14mph for 1.5 mins/on 1 min/off).

I haven't had any 'off' meals or days, I enjoy eating this way and have found my cravings to have gone / found healthier versions, but I can feel myself starting to 'overthink' and complicate things!

^^ To add to this, I recently used fat calipers and found that my bodyfat is currently at 28% (which is surprisingly lower than I thought). So my aim is now to get to 20-22% and approx 140-150lbs.

• samhennings
    Options
    Ive been looking for somewhere to ask this, and think this thread may be appropriate.

Ive recently started Stronglifts, and am now considering where I should be with my calories.

I lost 2 stone over last year, and have been in maintenance since January - which seems to be around 2000 calories a day. Prior this I have done no training whatsoever, resistance or otherwise.

Since starting Stronglifts Ive been a little more flexible in that, often eating a few hundred calories more (a few hundred more than that while on holiday the other other week!) and the scale has shifted a mighty 2lbs in that time, so my guess is Im still somewhere around maintenance.

Ive been thinking recently, what is the optimal calorie level to take advantage of the mythical noob gains I could benefit from?

Im not looking to bulk up, and I certainly dont expect to - but I suspect there is a sweet spot between maximising the early potential and just packing on weight.

Anyone?

Were you to have your time starting again - how would you manage your calories? Go into a mini-bulk situation to make the most of the noob gains? Or just work around maintenance?

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Anyone?

Were you to have your time starting again - how would you manage your calories? Go into a mini-bulk situation to make the most of the noob gains? Or just work around maintenance?

Noob gains are minimal at best, it's not worth worrying about. You'll make fast strength gains and a little tiny bit of muscle gains in the beginning, pretty much regardless (deficit or surplus). Trying to optimize this tiny window of time is pointless, IMO. Look at the big picture and what you want to do long-term (cut, maintain, bulk) and focus on that instead.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I agree whole-heartedly with Dope.

Don't count on noob gains - not everyone gets them. If not, then you're still on the right track, if you start off on a long-term road. But, if you do, BONUS!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Beginner lifters gain a lot of strength very rapidly in the first weeks and months, but the vast majority of that is from improved neuro-muscular coordination, or your brain talking to your muscles. In terms of actual muscle gain it can and does certainly happen -- I gained 35 pounds in the first two years of lifting.

Problem was at that time I didn't care what I ate, so long as I got tons of protein, so I just ate when hungry, more on days I hit the gym. When I discovered MFP and started tracking calories as well as protein, I lost 20 pounds, making my muscles really pop out more than ever before as a result. I'm sure I lost actually more than 20 pounds of fat as I gained a few more pounds of muscle, as my strength has continued to increase.

I guess you could say I inadvertently did a "bulk" cycle, followed by a "cut" cycle, though that wasn't my uneducated goal; I was just eating, then eating smarter. Were I to do things over I would track total calories from the get-go, save me the hunger of having to adjust from eating it all to eating enough.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I tend to think of noob gains in terms of total amount of muscle or strength gained rather than a window of time. I have no idea whether this is conceptually accurate but as of now I think it's more accurate than defining it in terms of time.

• samhennings
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Im certainly not looking for any quick fixes, it just occurred to me if this was a one time situation it may be something to take advantage of.

I havent really decided where I want to end up right now. I know Im not keen on bulking up in a big way, but do like the idea of looking lean and strong. And actually being stronger.

I think its more a general fitness thing right now. I have booked into a Spartan sprint in September so am trying to prepare for that.

I just figured, knowing how my luck runs, Ill find out in a year or so if I had just upped my calories a bit at this time I would have been a lot further down the road...

I started Stronglifts in March, with only the bar and so far am at:
    Squat 42.5kg
    OHP 30kg
    DL 60kg
    Bench 30kg
    Row 40kg

Its only just beginning to feel heavy, like Im really working, so Im starting to take longer breaks between sets.

I bet those numbers look quite funny to you lot!

Anyways, thanks again - Ill just stick around maintenance and see how it goes.
  • nossmf
    Options
    The current world record in deadlift is well over a thousand pounds. When the guy first began lifting weights, he used the bar only. Everybody has to start somewhere, so there's nothing funny about lifting light or heavy.

Comparing against other people can be good for motivation to improve, but ultimately your sense of self should come from comparing against yourself, so if you're lifting heavier than you did before, it doesn't matter by how much, it's still an improvement over what YOU did before. And that's awesome!
  • samhennings
    Options
    Oh Im with you there - its just knowing how long (and seriously) some of you have been doing it I imagine there is a smirk with "He thinks thats heavy!"

Honestly I know its all about me, and Im really comfortable with that. Its just sometimes I can get consious of the fact Im a noob.

Like when I was benchnig 27kg next to these guys benching 60+ :D
  • nossmf
    Options
    The other day I was pulling 315# (143kg) for singles on deadlift, next station over was a guy pulling 500#+ (227kg) for doubles. Felt rather puny for a moment before I laughed at myself! So even us "veterans" experience that feeling, trust me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Im certainly not looking for any quick fixes, it just occurred to me if this was a one time situation it may be something to take advantage of.

I havent really decided where I want to end up right now. I know Im not keen on bulking up in a big way, but do like the idea of looking lean and strong. And actually being stronger.

I think its more a general fitness thing right now. I have booked into a Spartan sprint in September so am trying to prepare for that.

I just figured, knowing how my luck runs, Ill find out in a year or so if I had just upped my calories a bit at this time I would have been a lot further down the road...

Squat 42.5kg
    OHP 30kg
    DL 60kg
    Bench 30kg
    Row 40kg

Its only just beginning to feel heavy, like Im really working, so Im starting to take longer breaks between sets.

Personally, I think its a good idea to sit at maintenance (or cut if you want to lose a bit more) until you get a bit more experienced with lifting. Taking the time to get the technique down, get your ligaments and tendons used to lifting, get past the worst of the DOMS you get when you start etc is best not done while eating at an excess imo.
  • samhennings
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    The other day I was pulling 315# (143kg) for singles on deadlift, next station over was a guy pulling 500#+ (227kg) for doubles. Felt rather puny for a moment before I laughed at myself! So even us "veterans" experience that feeling, trust me.

Nice to know I wont get past it then! ;)
    Thanks guys.

Squat 42.5kg
    OHP 30kg
    DL 60kg
    Bench 30kg
    Row 40kg

Personally, I think its a good idea to sit at maintenance (or cut if you want to lose a bit more) until you get a bit more experienced with lifting. Taking the time to get the technique down, get your ligaments and tendons used to lifting, get past the worst of the DOMS you get when you start etc is best not done while eating at an excess imo.

Thanks Sara. That was my initial thinking, its just the more you read the more you begin to question things...