New to EM2WL?? Read this!!!

Options

Replies

• CSO50364
    CSO50364 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm starting off. I went to the weight loss calculator, do I start with my TDEE? Also, will the metabolic reset guide tell me when and how to adjust the calories I'm taking in, or is there another article that has more detailed info? Thanks
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    CSO50364 wrote: »
    I'm starting off. I went to the weight loss calculator, do I start with my TDEE? Also, will the metabolic reset guide tell me when and how to adjust the calories I'm taking in, or is there another article that has more detailed info? Thanks

Welcome the to group CSO!
    Starting with the metabolism reset guide is a great place to start. From there, we have many other great articles to help you understand the process and how everything pieces together. Spend some time reading everything to familiarize yourself with how things work and how to make it work the best for you.

First is our quick start guide
    http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/
    This is a shortened version of our Starter kit which can answer a lot of questions for you.

from there you can grab our Starter Kit Guide
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    This is a complete breakdown of the entire process step by step. All of this information is available on our website, but some users prefer to grab this so its all contained in one spot and easier to have that information for you.

Then the metabolism reset guide
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    This will tell you what a reset is, how to works to your benefit and how long yours might take

And finally, a what to expect when you up your calories
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/
    This is the most common things that we all experience in the process, so you know you are not alone in any of it.

And of course, all of us here at EM2WL who can answer questions and help you out:)
    Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • CSO50364
    Options
    This is great info. Do you know, is there a video, or a link that discusses the proper way to balance the macronutrients and the different food choices foe EM2WL like Ketogenic versus Zone versus Paleo, or even Vegan...? I would like to eventually go Vegan, but right now I have been exploring Ketogenic and Paleo food plans. I like knowing what my options are. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    This is great info. Do you know, is there a video, or a link that discusses the proper way to balance the macronutrients and the different food choices foe EM2WL like Ketogenic versus Zone versus Paleo, or even Vegan...? I would like to eventually go Vegan, but right now I have been exploring Ketogenic and Paleo food plans. I like knowing what my options are. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

There arent any different food choices with EM2WL. We believe that you can eat anything and everything with this way of life and not have to limit or omit anything. However there are quite a few vegan members around, including our own @empressichel who can help you more with hitting macros in a vegan lifestyle. You can give her a poke if she doesnt respond here soon:)
    Kelly
  • CSO50364
    Options
    There are waaay too many people, and opinions on the internet telling people and what to do. I am so confused about macros. Regardless, I'm upping my calories today and just going to stay on the lower side of carbs until I get a handle on this.
  • CSO50364
    Options
    Oh, BTW, thanks for the welcome to the group.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    There are waaay too many people, and opinions on the internet telling people and what to do. I am so confused about macros. Regardless, I'm upping my calories today and just going to stay on the lower side of carbs until I get a handle on this.

At this point, I wouldnt worry about macros. When you are just starting out, its best to just work on getting the calories in first, then once you get settled in and understand more about the importance of macros, thats when you can start to look into those. Keep your food choices sane and within reason for yourself and just up the intake:) The rest comes in time:)

Kelly
  • CSO50364
    Options
    I just noticed, I am your 888th post! I will look at that as a good omen! I got up late this morning, so I'm not getting my calories today. Thanks for the sensible suggestion. I do want to stay sane with this, because I'm determined it's going to work for me.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Kelly is right, @CSO50364 , take your time to take everything in. THERE's is a lot of information online and it can get confusing. Focus on changing and improving one thing at a time. Once you master that thing. Move on to another one. Once you get your calories going, start working on your macros. Add a tad more of protein at each and every meal and you will see a huge difference! Feel free to send us your questions!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hey @CSO50364 You can look through my diary anytime as it's open to friends :)
    I used to be terrible at getting in my protein being vegan, but now I can get consistently 30-35%.
    There are SO many opinions out there on what is the right thing to eat.
    My brother is a bald, paleo eating triathlete and I am a dreadlocked, vegan weigh lifter! :smile:
    Just got to find what works for you and what you enjoy so you can keep doing it!
    Let me know if you need any help with the vegan protein.
    Ichel
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Nhizarms here is a quick link pages.
  • CSO50364
    Options
    Hey @CSO50364 You can look through my diary anytime as it's open to friends :)
    I used to be terrible at getting in my protein being vegan, but now I can get consistently 30-35%.
    There are SO many opinions out there on what is the right thing to eat.
    My brother is a bald, paleo eating triathlete and I am a dreadlocked, vegan weigh lifter! :smile:
    Just got to find what works for you and what you enjoy so you can keep doing it!
    Let me know if you need any help with the vegan protein.
    Ichel

Thanks Ichell, I will take a look. I'm wondering, can I reset my metabolism without eating meat? At my age, I'm dealing with hormonal shifts and a "slow" thyroid. My field of food choices has narrowed considerably through the years. I can not eat soy or gluten products. I don't like being limited in my choices, but that's what I have to deal with.

• TerezaToledo
    Options
    @CSO50364 You can definitely reset without eating meat. But once you are acing reaching your caloric goal, you will need to work on keeping your protein intake high. Without eating meat, it's advised to go even higher than the 30%. @empressichel I the master of hitting macros without animal protein. Send her a message and I'm sure she can guide you and give you excellent advice.
    The EM2WL lifestyle does not require you to give up or change your eating preferences.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    @CSO50364 Yes, Tereza is right, I aim for 35% protein because it is all from plant sources.
    I do include soy in my daily foods and my sister has a gluten free diet so I can understand how tricky it would be. With a little thought and tweaking, I'm sure you could come up with a plan.
    Just message me if you want to do some food brain storming together.
    Here are a few articles that might help give you some ideas too;
    http://cathe.com/plant-based-protein-5-meat-free-ways-to-add-protein-to-your-diet
    http://cathe.com/can-you-build-muscle-on-a-plant-based-diet
    Ichel
  • morcadioa
    morcadioa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really like this concept, it appeals to me and makes sense. I can't wait to get started
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So another update - after increasing calories for two weeks and definitely eating more, no real change in weight. Playing around with a pound, basically, which is not significant. I'm going up another 100 cals/day today for the next week. I decided to do the three-day full body split for four weeks before trying anything more strenuous, modifying some of the exercises for dumbbells instead of gym machines. Yoga and/or walking on off days. Mostly yoga because it's freakin' HOT outside right now. :smile: I'm enjoying this immensely and will check in later!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @girlfighting50 thank you for this update, I loved reading it!!! Yay for more dumbbells and less machine! I enjoy free weights way more than using machine. Eating more without gaining weight is always a good thing! Wtg!!!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Options
    awesome update @girlfighting50 !! keep at it with the slow increase and watch your strength levels increase to!!
    Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    Options
    Thanks for the update @girlfighting50 you are doing so well with this and even better that you are enjoying it! What's not to love? <3
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @empressichel @Raynn1 @terezatoledo Thanks for the encouragement. I really am enjoying the process. I like food :smiley: and prefer this approach! The support here makes it easy, too.