Holiday Challenge

Options

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    1-tamales
    2-Turkey day stuff. Strawberry cheesecake. Trader Joe's cookie butter cheesecake. Banana cake. Baklava.pumpkin pie.pumpkin beer.more cheesecake.more banana cake.
    3-baklava and more baklava.
    4-strawberry cheesecake, last of the baklava:(
    5-peanut butter pie. Strawberry cheesecake. Banana cake.
    6- 1/2 pint talenti pumpkin pie.
    7- ^ other half of pumpkin pint
    8- whole pizza.
    9- 1/2 pint of old world egg nog and 65 grams of dryers cookie dough.
    10- 2 smores quest bars. 2 home made pork tamales.
    11- felix fire burger
    12- 1\2 pint talenti caramel Apple pie with added caramel from the can experiment.
    13- other half of caramel Apple. Pie.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Tonight going to eat some Turkey Hill Whoopie Pie ice cream.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Day 1: apple pie
    Day 2: all the Thanksgiving stuff
    Day 3: pumpkin pecan cheesecake bars and movie theater popcorn/raisinettes
    Day 4: Thanksgiving Part 2 and Pumpkin Challenge
    Day 5: Pumpkin bread, Gingersnap Cookie
    Day 6: Steve's Coffee and Cinnamon Ice Cream, frosted holiday cookies (the little ones with the white icing and the nonpareils - love those!)
    Day 7: Graeter's Salted Caramel Ice Cream
    Day 8: Peppermint Mocha creamer in my coffee and a chocolate cupcake with white icing
    Day 9: Peppermint Mocha creamer, white frosted holiday cookies
    Day 10: all the fried foods at a bar
    Day 11: holiday party appetizer smorgasboard
    Day 12: Breakfast with Santa (actually really good food), Ravioli Dinner, Chocolate Chip Cookies (pre-made dough)
    Day 13: More chocolate chip cookies
    Day 14: Peppermint mocha, half of a very average Snickerdoodle from Cheryl's cookies that were sent in a gift basket, breakfast for dinner and white frosted holiday cookies while watching Rudolph!
    Day 15: Snickerdoodles and some of those pretzel/rolo/m&m candies that are so popular at Christmas time... both from the work bake sale
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Day 1: gingerbread cupcake
    Day 2: Thanksgiving food, hummingbird cake
    Day 3: gingerbread cupcake
    Day 4: carrot cake (had to throw out the rest of the cupcakes :disappointed:)
    Day 5: one of Mr. Acrylics' cinnamon raisin bagels and Jeni's brown butter almond brittle
    Day 6: homemade caramels
    Day 7: made Jack Daniels bacon mac and cheese for dinner. Talenti sea salt caramel for dessert
    Day 8: eggnog covered almonds, which were pretty good but not super eggnoggy. Mostly they tasted like white chocolate. And Hot Cocoa & Cream Peeps, which were very good.
    Day 9: homemade caramels and Hot Cocoa Peeps
    Day 10: Baileys chocolate truffles
    Day 11: Haagen Dazs pralines and cream, Baileys chocolate truffle
    Day 12: Homemade caramels, talenti sea salt caramel
    Day 13: salted caramel cupcake
    Day 14: I wasn't feeling well today but I decided to pull it together and try the dark chocolate whiskey cupcake with whipped whiskey chocolate frosting.

So the cake was good but just a tad denser than I like. It had pretty good flavor but could have used more whiskey. The icing also had good flavor but I didn't care for the whipped texture-- it was pretty much like frosting with whipped cream. But it had a stronger whiskey flavor so that was nice. All in all I don't think this was a repeat but it gave me some ideas for possibly modifying my tried and true chocolate cake recipe.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Day 14: I wasn't feeling well today but I decided to pull it together and try the dark chocolate whiskey cupcake with whipped whiskey chocolate frosting.

So the cake was good but just a tad denser than I like. It had pretty good flavor but could have used more whiskey.

Preaching to the choir (despite not having tasted the cake obviously!)
    The icing also had good flavor but I didn't care for the whipped texture-- it was pretty much like frosting with whipped cream. But it had a stronger whiskey flavor so that was nice. All in all I don't think this was a repeat but it gave me some ideas for possibly modifying my tried and true chocolate cake recipe.

How did the Salted Caramel Buttercream compare? I know you tasted and reported just after baking, but curious if you've had another since then. I'm enjoying following your baking experiments as I am sure many others are.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

So the cake was good but just a tad denser than I like. It had pretty good flavor but could have used more whiskey.

Preaching to the choir (despite not having tasted the cake obviously!)
    The icing also had good flavor but I didn't care for the whipped texture-- it was pretty much like frosting with whipped cream. But it had a stronger whiskey flavor so that was nice. All in all I don't think this was a repeat but it gave me some ideas for possibly modifying my tried and true chocolate cake recipe.

How did the Salted Caramel Buttercream compare? I know you tasted and reported just after baking, but curious if you've had another since then. I'm enjoying following your baking experiments as I am sure many others are.

I haven't had a second one but I'm planning to have one tomorrow so I'll let you know. I might try drizzling a little extra caramel sauce on top.
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    1-tamales
    2-Turkey day stuff. Strawberry cheesecake. Trader Joe's cookie butter cheesecake. Banana cake. Baklava.pumpkin pie.pumpkin beer.more cheesecake.more banana cake.
    8- whole pizza.
    11- felix fire burger
    12- 1\2 pint talenti caramel Apple pie with added caramel from the can experiment.
    14- talenti peppermint bark.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Day 14: SCTC, Raisin Bread Pudding

All out of bread pudding now, so I'll have to come up with some other festive treat.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The cupcakes look really good Amber, I'm interested in how the buttercream came out too.

Sorry haven't been real active been a strange 10 days or so. Out of all the Jeni ice creams my favorites are Whiskey & pecans, Rumball, Whiskey Eggnog, and Pumpkin w/Amaretti cookies. I'm very sad I finished the rumball last night.

Today's been lots of baking with more tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Got some of this at Target today and decided to give it a whirl...
    51CLzFgbYHL.SX353_SY500_CR,0,0,353,500_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_SX353_SY500_CR,0,0,353,500_SH20_.jpg

They're pretty good. Definitely has that eggnog flavor! I also made some fudge, and I put some of the leftover unrefrigerated (hot) fudge on my cookie. Talk about a mouthgasm. Warm eggnog cookie + semi-hot fudge = /drool
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Today I was a big Fatty! I had a whole bar of Ghiradelli Intense Dark Toffee Interlude & a whole bar of Lindt White Coconut. I also had a Starbucks drink & ice cream.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The cupcakes look really good Amber, I'm interested in how the buttercream came out too.

Sorry haven't been real active been a strange 10 days or so. Out of all the Jeni ice creams my favorites are Whiskey & pecans, Rumball, Whiskey Eggnog, and Pumpkin w/Amaretti cookies. I'm very sad I finished the rumball last night.

{emphasis added}

No Jeni's in my area, and no idea of the breadth of their flavor options, but methinks I am detecting a theme in your choices . . . :p

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Day 1: gingerbread cupcake
    Day 2: Thanksgiving food, hummingbird cake
    Day 3: gingerbread cupcake
    Day 4: carrot cake (had to throw out the rest of the cupcakes :disappointed:)
    Day 5: one of Mr. Acrylics' cinnamon raisin bagels and Jeni's brown butter almond brittle
    Day 6: homemade caramels
    Day 7: made Jack Daniels bacon mac and cheese for dinner. Talenti sea salt caramel for dessert
    Day 8: eggnog covered almonds, which were pretty good but not super eggnoggy. Mostly they tasted like white chocolate. And Hot Cocoa & Cream Peeps, which were very good.
    Day 9: homemade caramels and Hot Cocoa Peeps
    Day 10: Baileys chocolate truffles
    Day 11: Haagen Dazs pralines and cream, Baileys chocolate truffle
    Day 12: Homemade caramels, talenti sea salt caramel
    Day 13: salted caramel cupcake
    Day 14: dark chocolate whiskey cupcake
    Day 15: salted caramel cupcake-- just as good as the first time.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

{emphasis added}

No Jeni's in my area, and no idea of the breadth of their flavor options, but methinks I am detecting a theme in your choices . . . :p

Yea there is a theme in my choices :)

There isn't one in my area either, supposed to have a place sort of close that will be carrying some but since I live in a beach community their off season hours suck. Luckily you can order them online which I can't afford to do often but it's a nice treat. http://shop.jenis.com/ice-creams/
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    1-tamales
    8- whole pizza.
    11- felix fire burger
    15- dreyers summer in the city cheesecake

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Day 6: Steve's Coffee and Cinnamon Ice Cream, frosted holiday cookies (the little ones with the white icing and the nonpareils - love those!)
    Day 8: Peppermint Mocha creamer in my coffee and a chocolate cupcake with white icing
    Day 12: Breakfast with Santa (actually really good food), Ravioli Dinner, Chocolate Chip Cookies (pre-made dough)
    Day 14: Peppermint mocha, half of a very average Snickerdoodle from Cheryl's cookies that were sent in a gift basket, breakfast for dinner and white frosted holiday cookies while watching Rudolph!
    Day 15: Snickerdoodles and some of those pretzel/rolo/m&m candies
    Day 16: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, a snickerdoodle...

(why do I feel like I'm a day ahead)?
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Day 15: Snickerdoodles and some of those pretzel/rolo/m&m candies
    Day 16: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, a snickerdoodle...

(why do I feel like I'm a day ahead)?

I misquoted one of mine...so now I feel like a day behind..
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Day 16: Homemade fudge & Ben & Jerry's chocolate therapy
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    ]1-tamales
    8- whole pizza.
    11- felix fire burger
    15- dreyers summer in the city cheesecake
    16- pecan caramel croissant