Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• MistyinTN
    MistyinTN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Workout A

Squats 5x5 at 90 lbs
    Bench 5x5 at 70 lbs
    Rows 5x5 at 70 lbs

Still really sore from ab work on Monday.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Workout B

The dreaded OHL killed me.

Squats 5x5 at 45kg
    OHP 5x2, 4x1, 2x2 at 25
    Deadlift 1x5 at 50kg
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have looked up burpees before and there seems to be a wide range of what people consider a complete burpee. Mrs Voelkel, Krok, what do you guys do?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio Day

One hour on the treadmill, 15 minutes of which was jogging. Not in a row, I split it up but managed to do a whole 10 minutes the first section, which is the longest I've jogged at one time. Making progress. May get to do that 5k in June. *plots*
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    I have looked up burpees before and there seems to be a wide range of what people consider a complete burpee. Mrs Voelkel, Krok, what do you guys do?

My burpees go like this.
    Jump up
    squat down
    put hands on floor
    kick your feet back into plank
    push up
    jump up
    one burpee.

There are several varieties that I will be playing with this year, man makers, hell raisers, double push-up, there's so many.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »

Pretty much the same as mrsvoelkel. squat down, drop to push-up, jump back up and then hop (the height of the hop gets smaller as I get tired, obviously xD)

I also came up with my own version which I call a Krasher. They're rather similar to a manmaker, but actually add a little oomph (to be done with dumbbells or kettlebells, one in each hand)
    - squat down
    - drop to plank
    - renegade push-up on each side
    - cross body knee tuck on each side
    - jump back up
    - end with a double snatch (or a tuck jump if doing BW)

I once did a workout of like 25 of those and was completely toast and it took over 15 minutes! lol (was a couple years back, though. There's a youtube video on my channel, I might dig out the link xD).

I've been meaning to try burpouts (burpees + sitouts) for a while now, too.
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as mrsvoelkel. squat down, drop to push-up, jump back up and then hop (the height of the hop gets smaller as I get tired, obviously xD)

Oh yeah, by 50 my feet barely leave the floor!

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Today was deadlifts and I hit a PR! I think I could've done one more rep, but I was so excited that I hit 4 reps that I started giggling and lost it. :D

Deadlifts
    5@150lbs
    3@170lbs
    4@190lbs

190!!! Excuse me while I do my happy dance!!

Accessories:
    Squats - 12, 14, 12@125lbs
    Bent over 1arm rows - 3x10@35lbs
    Leg lifts - 3x15
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Awesome @ katro!

Loving being on holiday and being able to lift in the mornings - back to work on Monday though :( boooo

Squat 5x5 @‌ 160lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 82lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 90lbs

Woop ya!!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I also came up with my own version which I call a Krasher. They're rather similar to a manmaker, but actually add a little oomph (to be done with dumbbells or kettlebells, one in each hand)
    - squat down
    - drop to plank
    - jump back up

I once did a workout of like 25 of those and was completely toast and it took over 15 minutes! lol (was a couple years back, though. There's a youtube video on my channel, I might dig out the link xD).

Does anyone else still read Krok's stuff and just think "Holy *kitten* she's insane!" (and awesome, obviously!)?
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    - squat down
    - drop to plank
    - jump back up

Does anyone else still read Krok's stuff and just think "Holy *kitten* she's insane!" (and awesome, obviously!)?

Yes :) I can barely do a Jillian Michael's DVD
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    - squat down
    - drop to plank
    - jump back up

I read it and think I have no idea what the eff she is taking about :P
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Workout A today
    Squat 185 lbs 5x5
    Bench 90 lbs 5/5/5/5/4 tried for the 5th rep and had to get my fiancée to lift the bar off of me (saved me from the roll of shame)
    Row 85 lbs 5x5 these felt really good for once. I am really trying to focus on pinching my back together rather than lifting the barbell up and it seemed to work.

I have also started a week long attempted at IF'ing. My goal is to only eat between 11 and 7 but I had a meeting at 11 so I ate "breakfast" at 10:30. I hope a week is long enough to adjust to it because I do like the ability to have larger meals/eat more in the afternoon.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

Bahahaha yes this... to both.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

i generally suck pretty loudly at visualizations, so sometimes i read the names of some of the stuff that she does and my brain makes one feeble attempt and gives up. aside from that, i frequently feel like i need me a brisk lie-down after just reading some of the things that she's done.

with that said, i feel a bit of a schmuck even saying that, because i know how much it upsets me to get elected into that spot in any community where nobody has anything 'real' to say about anything that i do, because everyone just kind of takes one quick loud step backwards from whatever it is. no matter how positively the feedback's intended, i know all my own emotional circuits usually hear is 'you're all on your own.'

i know krok's not me so perhaps i should zip it, but i don't know a lonelier feeling, myself. so i just thought i'd, y'know, throw it out there. she's so generous about helping everyone else out with anything that they might need to know. i wish i did know more than i do so i could say something more than just wow all the time.

/feeling all introspective and philosophizey this wednesday.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Canadian -- You're so rad. And so right.

@Krok -- It wasn't my intention to call out your workouts as weird or unintelligible. I'm really sorry if it came across that way. I actually often google your acronyms and exercises, which is why I'm in total awe. The stuff you do would likely kill me dead, even if I did them EHOTH (every hour on the hour) instead of EMOTM (every minute on the minute) like you do. (Yup, googled those a while back!)

My sincere apologies if I've made you feel anything less than spectacular. I hope you know I'm one of your biggest, most grateful fans.

ALL THE Xs AND Os!

C.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i didn't lift today. made a wise and unregretted decision to come home at a civilized hour and spend a whole evening being domestic. as in, making a real dinner.

however. i'm still working on my shoulder project up against the wall with a small rubber ball, and when i was done there was nobody left in the building today, so i got down on the floor intending to do a few planks and . . .

i did two pushups. *beam*
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Absolutely (in a very good way)!

Burpees and mountain climbers are exercises I love to hate. Still can't do them correctly. They require a degree of hip flexiblity that I currently do not have but working on it...:-)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Canadian -- You're so rad. And so right.

@Krok -- It wasn't my intention to call out your workouts as weird or unintelligible. I'm really sorry if it came across that way. I actually often google your acronyms and exercises, which is why I'm in total awe. The stuff you do would likely kill me dead, even if I did them EHOTH (every hour on the hour) instead of EMOTM (every minute on the minute) like you do. (Yup, googled those a while back!)

My sincere apologies if I've made you feel anything less than spectacular. I hope you know I'm one of your biggest, most grateful fans.

ALL THE Xs AND Os!

C.

To both you and canadian (and everyone else): No worries here! I'm a little on the outskirts, not doing SL or even 5/3/1 anymore, but I do like hanging around for the ambiance, and hey, if I can inspire just 1 of you to look up one of the more out there exercises that I do, my job here is done =D (but if you ever need a description, feel free to ask ^^)

Although I do miss having jstout reporting in. She and I were both a similar level of crazy. lol!

And hey, the EMOTM stuff is actually really fun and pretty clever. I really like those kind of set-ups! Don't knock it til you try it! (And give yourself some credit! It's not as tough as it might sound since you can adjust the load/exercise progression to your level!)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    How did you get into HIIT, Krok? Did you just try it and really like it? I've tried it a handful of times and it's a great workout but I have a hard time motivating myself to give it 100%. I could probably do well in a group led session but on my own, I end up a beached walrus.

I'm going to praise EMOTM, too. Helped me break my OHP plateau and I think I'm going to start using it for other movements. And EHOTH make me think of "Local on the 8s" weather.