Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I already posted in another topic, but this was my workout last night

So last night I did Workout B, 3x5
    Squats - warm up + 3x5 @ 110lbs
    Rows - 3x5 @‌ - 75lbs
    Bench - 3x5 @‌ 65lbs

And then I added 3x8 tricep extension with 10lbs in each hand
    + 3x8 bicep curls, 2 sets with 12lbs and 1 set with 15lbs
    + ABS! Plank, crunches, Russian twist
    and then I was tired so I went home!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I was going to lift yesterday but my husband and I decided to build furniture that was delivered and take down the tree. It turned out to be a bit of a workout anyway, particularly for my patience. I'm not a team player :neutral_face: But we imbibed on some nice bourbon after, enjoying the fruits of our labor so it turned out to be a nice evening.

About three people were in the gym today but all three of them were using the cage and the two squat racks, of course. So I started with bench. I've been stuck at 80 for a few workouts. The problem is that I can get the first three reps out fairly well but then I die. So I changed things up today. I benched 80 at 3 reps every minute for 8 minute plus and extra to get 25 reps total. It was fairly easy this way and I counted it as a successful 5x5.

Squat 125 5,5,5,5,4. I could have done 5 on the last set but my form was getting out of whack. I started to lose confidence when doing them so I told myself I only had to do 3 reps per set. My self reverse psychology worked, I guess! I will stay at 125 for a bit before moving up further.

Row 70 5x6. I notice my legs extend a little when I pick the barbell up off the ground giving me a little extra help. It is kind of like a kipping row. I tried to take notice of it so I wouldn't do it but kept doing it anyway. Going to stay at 70 and maybe watch some videos about doing Pendlays properly. I just don't care about this exercise that much to get worked up over it, though.

• TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, it definitely looks like if I was doing clean and press instead of OHP. I should probably try the real OHP next time to see the difference.

And yes, the pain is more like stiffness than sharp pain. I tought that DOMS came later (usually the day after) and not right after the workout, but it may be DOMS in my back, sure. That's nice then. I love DOMS. :P
    It can depend on the person. My husband starts to get sore w/i a few hours after working out. I never feel mine until the next day.

• TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Today's workout:

No squats-I bruised my shoulder blade(no idea how that happened) and it was keeping me from holding the bar as tight as I should.

OHP: 65lbs at 2X5 2X4 1X2

Deads: 140 lbs X 3. I also did 145 X 2, mainly because I wanted to be able to say I can deadlift my own bodyweight. So that is my victory for today.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Then explode from the hips as you pull the bar up, dip down slightly to catch the bar on your fingers, then roll the bar to the palm and start the set :)[/i]

explode to where??? if you're already at only a slight knee-bend, where is there for your hips to go?

also, i assume you also un-dip yourself at some point. /sorry. been doing qa on vague-*kitten* requirements all week, and it shows.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Then explode from the hips as you pull the bar up, dip down slightly to catch the bar on your fingers, then roll the bar to the palm and start the set :)[/i]

explode to where??? if you're already at only a slight knee-bend, where is there for your hips to go?

also, i assume you also un-dip yourself at some point. /sorry. been doing qa on vague-*kitten* requirements all week, and it shows.

knees slightly bent and bar resting just above knees and resting on your thighs, so your hips are hinged slightly forward. You use the power from unhinging and straightening the legs as you jump up slightly to propel the bar up (in as close to the body as possible) as opposed to muscle-ing the bar up. Saves a lot of energy.

Looks a bit like this (but without the first pull) - check the hips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8oxMVpaWVw

If you've ever done a kettlebell swing, it's somewhat reminiscent of that movement, except you don't get to go "grab" momentum by swinging the weight behind you first. But you do have the momentum of the slight jump to help.

Rippetoe does a *much* better job of describing the power clean in all its phases (albeit in an overly descriptive fashion. I used to read starting strength before bed. All the technical ligno made me zzzzzz. I never finished it, either) than I ever could. There are also many coaching videos on youtube that are pretty good.

For the purpose of the overhead press set-up, I figured that you don't need to be uber proficient at the movement, just know the basics to make life easier and maybe prevent injuries? For reference, I can hang clean over 100lbs, and my max OHP is around 90lbs. So clean strength shouldn't be a problem for the press
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ah, okay. ot again but is it just me, or is that guy wearing anything under those shorts? i'm not even being lecherous. i can't watch that part of the loop anymore without wanting to flinch.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Rippetoe does a *much* better job of describing the power clean in all its phases (albeit in an overly descriptive fashion. I used to read starting strength before bed. All the technical ligno made me zzzzzz. I never finished it, either) than I ever could.

Speaking of Rippetoe:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10048753/starting-strength-book-club?new=1

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Workout B today. Second session.

Squat 5x5 @ 60 lbs. I really concentrated on getting low, and they seemed both harder and easier at the same time somehow. I guess easier on my quads and harder on my glutes? Felt good though.

OHP 5-5-5-4-4 @ 45 lbs. Ugh. Couldn't get the bar up for the last rep on the last two sets. Frustrating, but not surprised. 40 lbs was hard to get through.

Dead lift 1x5 @ 95 lbs. Definitely have more in me for this one. Heavy, but not hard.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    TheMOC wrote: »
    Today's workout:

No squats-I bruised my shoulder blade(no idea how that happened) and it was keeping me from holding the bar as tight as I should.

OHP: 65lbs at 2X5 2X4 1X2

Deads: 140 lbs X 3. I also did 145 X 2, mainly because I wanted to be able to say I can deadlift my own bodyweight. So that is my victory for today.

That is an awesome victory! Way to go!!! :)

Tonight was OHP for me, too:
    5@55, 3@65, 6@75lbs

Accessories:
    Bench press - 15, 18, 20 @ 72.5lbs
    Upright rows - 10, 12, 13 @‌ 50lbs
    10 regular bicep curls, 10 hammer curls, 10 Zottman curls w/ 25lb dumbbells
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So workout B.
    I am in a photo thingy this month and one of the themes was exercise. I thought great I will get a picture of me working out and double check my form. Well the bad news is I am terribly un-photogenic at the best of times. When I lift it gets worse. And the really bad news is even at my workout b squat weight I was FAR from parallel. So I turned off the camera and really worked on getting to depth at a lower weight and will just progress upwards from there.
    So Squats 145 lbs 5 no where near parallel, then 5x5 getting to depth. These where so much harder than I thought they should be. No wonder I was progressing so steadily with this, I was cheating on them.
    OHP Deload to 50 lbs (3 fails at 70 lbs) 5x5 no real issues
    DL 205 lbs 1x3 not too bad since last workout b I couldn't even get the bar off of the floor. PS I found out I make some SPECTACULAR faces when I break it off of the floor.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    DL 205 lbs 1x3 not too bad since last workout b I couldn't even get the bar off of the floor. PS I found out I make some SPECTACULAR faces when I break it off of the floor.

Haha, I follow a bunch of powerlifters on Instagram and recently there's been a theme among them of their deadlift faces! :)

• canadianlbs
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i watched the youtube thing you posted. you're photogenic ;-) i think the whole trouble with still photos is that they're still. you always look so much worse when there's no flow.
    I found out I make some SPECTACULAR faces when I break it off of the floor.

i do it with ohp too. awful. i don't know how i haven't chewed right through my lower lip yet. i have this thing where sometimes while i'm standing in the rack and putting my hands on the bar, i look myself in the eye and decide that i look as cute as gidget. then i unrack the thing and start squatting with it, and i lose that idea.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    Accessories:
    Bench press - 15, 18, 20 @ 72.5lbs

You know, just a few light accessories. No bigs.

DAMN SIS! :)

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Haha, my OHP face is so scary!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just realized I didn't check in yesterday. lol. Does it make any difference if I say "I did a bunch of crazy stuff" instead of listing it all? I'm feeling lazy.

[TMI WARNING]
    And today was interrupted by yours truly's uterus. I mean, what better time to start bleeding than the middle of a workout, right? I finished the main work, but had to head home because the shampoo incident from like, a month ago had me throw away my, um, safety precautions. Had to use toilet paper. Fun times. So no squats nor mobility work.
    [/TMI WARNING]

10min AMRAP (managed 5 rounds and 5 push-ups on each side)
    - step vertical jump x3/leg
    - KB offset 1 arm push-up progression x5/arm
    - KB bent-over row x10/arm @35lbs

Then moved on to 3 rounds of 30 work, 15 rest w/ 2x30lbs KB
    - KB front rack squat 11 / 10 / 10
    - Jump squats 16 / 18 / 17
    - Floor Press 12 / 13 / 13
    - Push-up 10 / 11 / 8
    - Double bent over row 16 / 14 / 14
    - TRX Recline row 8 / 10 / 8
    - 45s rest between rounds (well, after the 2nd round. Arhem)

As I said, fun times ;)
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Just realized I didn't check in yesterday. lol. Does it make any difference if I say "I did a bunch of crazy stuff" instead of listing it all? I'm feeling lazy.

Sorry about your inconsiderate uterus. :(

And I always love reading your lists. :)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    So no squats nor mobility work.

hee. i can just hear all the muggles right now. DON'T SQUAT OR YOUR WOMB WILL FALL OUT!

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout B (Sat)

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 55

squats 5 x 5 - 105

Deadlifts 1 x 5 - 105

Overhand Curls 5 x 5 - 60

Leg Extensions 5 x 5 - 60

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 60

Dumbbell Skis 5 x 10 - 40

Dumbbell Sidebends 5 x 10 - 40
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    hee. i can just hear all the muggles right now. DON'T SQUAT OR YOUR WOMB WILL FALL OUT!

No joke, someone's mom told her that once. Can't remember if it was someone here or in the general forums. Hahahaha!