Squat depth

Options
1235»

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Watching the SL video again. I hadn't noticed it was low bar and I had just gone with the squat that the trainer had showed me when I first started at the gym. He also seems to have a slightly wider stance than I remember, or maybe I just didn't notice when I first was watching the videos on how to do the routine.

I kind of like the train untamed. Some of the things are bit out there, like the woods shot or some of the outfits and oh so much beard. But he's amusing and it's an interesting approach that shows the form. He has a good one on row too.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I see butt wink in that video...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I watched the whole thing with volume and it was good. The difference between his massive thigh muscles and his tiny shorts was hilarious, too. I noticed almost butt wink on some of his reps but his back didn't round.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have to confess, I had to google butt wink, as I wasn't sure what it was.
    I found the following article, which was very informative...
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beat-butt-wink-squat-big-without-hurting-your-back.html

However, I was looking at the guy squatting at the top of the bodybuilder.com page and thinking that I would consider his squat barely parallel. Maybe I am misunderstanding how low I need to go? I deloaded as well in order to improve my squats, but maybe I don't need to go as low as I'm trying to....
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The guy at the top isn't at parallel, but you have no way of knowing if is at the bottom of his movement or not. He could be on his way up or down. The diagram in the article is more helpful.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tiny Shorts Guy has some killer quads. Yowza!

Here's another article about butt wink: http://deansomerset.com/butt-wink-aout-hamstrings/

ETA: the font is making my eyes jittery.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

*tries to link* Oh the white shorts, but interesting video.

Thanks for the link. I finally was able to watch the whole thing through. He is a beast! Very helpful, and um, entertaining. Thanks Dawn!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Here's another article about butt wink: http://deansomerset.com/butt-wink-aout-hamstrings/

This was an interesting article, but from other things I've read it's not hamstring tightness, but lack of recruitment or weak hamstrings that could be a culprit and he didn't address that. : /

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

This was an interesting article, but from other things I've read it's not hamstring tightness, but lack of recruitment or weak hamstrings that could be a culprit and he didn't address that. : /

Yeah. I think he was addressing that it's not always hamstrings that are the issue. I liked that it gave other areas to look at.

Another from Mr. Bret http://bretcontreras.com/squat-biomechanics-butt-wink-what-is-it-what-causes-it-how-can-it-be-improved/
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question about white-shorts-guy. To me it looks like his hips are coming up well before his back and shoulders. Am I imagining that? Shouldn't your back stay the same when you start the upward motion? He almost looks like he is arching his lower back before coming up out of the squat.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    Ok, I have a question about white-shorts-guy. To me it looks like his hips are coming up well before his back and shoulders. Am I imagining that? Shouldn't your back stay the same when you start the upward motion? He almost looks like he is arching his lower back before coming up out of the squat.

YES! I saw that too...And I do that a little bit and was sure it's wrong and now I don't know. Descending is a smooth motion, his ascent looks like a 2-part motion.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Really helpful video, thanks for sharing. Give me a few things to think about tomorrow - ankle flexibility, stretching out the calves and feet and also position of hands and elbows.

Is it worrying that I don't know whether I do high or low bar? I feel like saying "I do mid-bar". It certainly doesn't touch my neck, but neither is it below my shoulders and relying on my hands to stay there.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »
    Is it worrying that I don't know whether I do high or low bar? I feel like saying "I do mid-bar". It certainly doesn't touch my neck, but neither is it below my shoulders and relying on my hands to stay there.

I feel the same way -- though I do rely on my hands because of my shoulder issues. (Yes, I'll be working on this moving forward.) Curious to hear other people's thoughts.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i call what i do low bar, because of rippetoe's definition. afaik, the bar stays put on me because i get it jammed into this nice little channel between my scapular spine and the base of my hands. it can't go up because of the bone, and it can't roll down because of the hands. but most of the weight of it rests on my rear delts and my hands are more just for stabilizing, afai can feel. you really do have to keep your back tight, or you lose the delt cushion and then it does all start to slide in the direction of the famous handcart. i guess my hands drop too if i do that, or something.

it's a bad time for me to go check because back/shoulders screwed up anyway, but i think that's how it goes. it took me a while to get it and i still get sloppy about setting it up, but when i take the time and get it right it's stupidly close to comfortable at almost no-matter-what weight.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like the video because it gives a general idea and some things to think about, but even he admits that not everyone's will look the same and his own isn't perfect. It's something we can keep working on and developing. He also has videos on deadlift and rows that are interesting to watch. Plus, he's kinda funny.

The spot where I rest the bar for both low and high bar is a tad tender lately. Not sure why but it has a slight ache on occasion and when I first put the bar against it, gets a bit unhappy. Bearable but noticeable.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I got a member of staff to take a photo of my grip, and I think I can safely say that it's a high bar grip from somebody with small deltoids and who can hold the bar with a very small gap between her hands.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have the bar jammed up against the neck bone (mine is incredibly protruding, probably from my overal posture when I was a kid and always had my head down in front of me, IDK), as far as it can go while remaining somewhat comfortable, so I definitely do high bar. I had this hybrid position a while back but it led me to tilt too far forward to my liking.

I did do low bar for a while and while it's more comfortable on my back and I have no shoulder issues whatsoever, I don't like the way my body feels in the hole when doing it. If I ever find a PL competition to attend I might get myself used to it again for a bit, but until then high bar is what I'm working on :)
  • anupriyasin157
    anupriyasin157 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anyone facing issues with knee slide during squats. Specially while coming up?