Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is finally warming up a bit. Supposed to be in the high 70's to low 80's this week. I like the mid 70's we've been having but it will still be fine.

Friday was Dan's birthday but we didn't do much. He has been very depressed because he turned 67 and his dad died of a heart attack when he was 67. We went to lunch Thursday though so that was nice. A good friend also did something that really hurt his feelings and upset him so not good. :(

Did my usual shopping Saturday. Then met some old friends from a former job for lunch. We didn't even think about the fact that it was mother's day weekend. The restaurant was busy but the wait wasn't too long. Good thing we went early.

Our anniversary is this Sunday the 21st but I don't know if Dan is going to want to do anything. We'll see what God has in mind.

Debora, Hope you had a great mother's day! WOW!! You were BUSY!!! Sorry about the friends passing away. Other than that it sounds like most activities were very nice.

Well, have a blessed week!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    Here is it Saturday evening and most things are done for tomorrow. I still need to get two crockpots out and measure the milk for the noodles but those are small things compared to baking rolls, doing brownies and cutting up a watermelon. We also went to a memorial serivce for a the friend I have worked with once a week for several years. I’ll miss her but she’s in a much better place.
    For having planned Jeremiah’s party and gotten invites out within the week before it, I thought there was a decent turnout. We did get some rain so it was moved inside but Derek’s house is big enough that it worked. And we need the rain although we got little at our house. We also got to go to one more of his baseball games on Tuesday and they won. They played again on Wednesday – won the first game and lost the second so ended in second place but it didn’t work for us to go. It was fun to watch.
    We were able to take 49 boxes of books (postage was a good chunk). First we were going to use Alan’s car and his open trailer. We saw a chance for rain so learned renting from U-haul was very reasonable so were going to do that. That evening we went to Brecken and Aven’s softball game and Ralph was telling Derek and he said he had a closed trailer and a pickup we could use so would be working with a deadline there. So Ralph went and got the pickup and trailer Wednesday morning while I was at Bible study. Then Alan and Clark came over in the afternoon and spread things out to double check things and then loaded according to where we were unloading. Those to Zambia and Malawi went in the back and the ones to Kenya in the front. Two of the grands went with us – the seats in the back were short seats but they were fine. Clark helped with the boxes a the second stop. Molly just watched but enjoyed the McDonald’s stop. When we had to merge into traffic or change lanes, traffic was never too bad. Ralph did a great job of driving. Left home at 7 am and were home but 4:30 pm. We may still do some books but not in such big bunches again. It’s getting harder on Ralph to do.
    This past week was our Community Bible School. So the two weeks before it, I spent time on the phone lining up noon meals for those teaching from our church. Then this week I spent each morning with a friend watching the kids of the teachers who were too young from Bible School. We had from 6-10 kids each day from 18 months to 3 years. There were a few moments of crying but overall the whole time went very well. And then it was one of those weeks when there was something else going on each day. Monday I had an appointment. We also went to Walmart and bought a router as mine had died the Saturday before so no internet all weekend. Always before I’ve had the telephone company bring one and set it up but thought this would save me money. I had to all them to give them the mac address and then I was still having trouble. It wanted the network security number and I couldn’t find it. I called them back to learn it was the password. Gave me a chuckle.
    Tuesday I went to town straight from Bible school to have lunch with a friend who recenyly lost her husband and ended up being there over two hours. Wednesday afternoon, a friend and I worked on sorting Sunday School papers and have a good time visiting. Thursday we went to one of the teacher’s for noon and she shared her lunch with us and again more good visiting. Then that evening we took grandson Owen with us and went to get Jordan (almost adopted grandson). He was staying with friends with kids while the rest were on a vacation planned before they got him back. But they wanted him to see family during the week. So we went to a McDonalds with a playplace and ate and then he and Owen played and played. Friday we cleaned up and I loaded the different things I had taken from our class at church (to have something new to do each day). I unloaded it at church, went home, heated up leftovers and then we went to town for our regular Friday errands. When we got home, Ralph went to the men’s campout (but he did not spend the night) so that gave me time to get the house straightened. I’ve been trying to do that on Friday cause it seems like I’m slower at getting things done.

Isabella, there is something for a guy about turning the age when their father passed away although we each have our own time given us. Enjoy the 70s. We getting more days in the 80s and are making use of the ac. Sorry on the friend. He doesn’t get out and do a lot so that probably hurts him even more. Did you end up doing anything special for your anniversary? Glad you didn’t have a long wait on Mother’s Day. Probably helped that you were out on Saturday.

Enjoy your week.
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Happy Memorial Day weekend! Weather is still in the low 70's so very nice. Cloudy in the AM then sunny in the afternoon. Did my usual shopping and also went to Jimbo's and Ralph's for some extras on Friday. Had lunch at the senior center on Wednesday and had Shrimp Newburg. Pretty good. The ladies I usually see haven't been there but I still enjoyed the company of the gals who were. Also met a new couple there. Very nice folks. I will go to lunch there again on Tuesday for Seafood Vera Cruz. Also have a lunch date with a former co-worker on Wednesday. The company is moving about 20 miles away the middle of June so I won't be having too many more lunches with co-workers. :(

We didn't end up doing anything for our anniversary because Dan caught my cold. We will go out when he is feeling better. I made us a nice pork tenderloin for dinner instead.

Other than that not much going on.

Debora, you are super busy as always. I am not surprised that dealing with all those books is getting harder for Ralph. It's time to slow it down a bit. :) Have a wonderful blessed week!
  • arobed53
    Options
    Oh, Isabella, I’m sorry Dan got your cold but you enjoyed the pork tenderloin now and will have another meal together later. The senior meal sound good and some social time too. Sorry the meals with the coworkers will end but glad you won’t have to be driving further to work.
    The week ended up full again. Monday afternoon fiend and I finished up our Sunday School material. Tuesday I worked with a friend to learn how to get a fleece blanket ready to be tied. Wednesday we had Bible Study and went to a softball game for two of the grands in the evening, We brought the two girls home and got them to volleyball camp in the morning and then they were here for the rest of the day. We worked a 300 piece puzzle, watched a movie and they went with me to Willing Workers. The speaker this month was my oldest who talked about operation Christmas Child – in general and then her personally. She did a good job. Then we had yummy refreshments. Friday morning we took them to volleyball game and headed to town (their mom came and picked them up – we live closer so that’s why we helped). After we got home and I got the house straightened up. Today I did the food for tomorrow and then we went to a wedding. Both the bride and groom are from our church. It was a very nice ceremony. The reception meal was hamburgers, chips, fruit cup, baked beans and then a brownie and ice cream cup. I was a little concerned at first cause my hamburger was very red but it didn’t act like raw hamburger – tasted cooked. So I went ahead and ate. Afterwards someone told me that when you smoke the meat and then grill it, the meat stays red.
    I had a strange experience. I went downstairs to get something, open the door into what I call the freezer room and stepped in and it felt like something was under my foot. I looked down and it was a snake. Ug. Ran up and told Ralph and then called son who lived closest – all the while keeping an eye on the snake. Alan came over and was able to catch it - not poisonous but at 3-4 feet long and it still was a snake. I don’t know where he let it go but hopefully far enough and maybe he killed it. I wish we’d quit finding them but this is the first one I stepped on.
    The other not so fun thing was Derek (oldest son) and Lindsey had a man come into their house. Lindsey woke up about 4:45 am and heard the TV on upstairs. Their oldest had a friend over so she thought maybe they were still up so sent a text and got no answer. So she put on her robe to go up and check. She got about half way up and could see a head In the room that she did not recognize. So she went and woke up Derek and while he went up, she called 911. She heard Derek telling the man he had to go and him asking if he could stay a couple of days. Derek got him out the front door and the man sat down on a chair out there. He was barefoot and had blisters. Then Derek got on the phone and she ran upstairs to check on the kids and they were fine- sleeping way. The police came. He had a hospital wristband – said he was in getting care for his blisters and he had paperwork from comcare (mental health). They took him away and they didn’t press charges. And they found out the back door was unlocked cause their oldest had run to Wendy’s with her friend and they forgot to lock the door. But coming in that door he had to walk most of the length of the house – he had food and pop up there. And they live out in the country so they have no idea how far he had walked and did he try other houses. She said they’ll probably put cameras up now. So thankful they are all okay and he wasn’t there to hurt anyone.
    Time to head for bed. We have Bible school at our church this week so will have at least three grandkids staying here so better get rested up. Check in next for the next saga. :)
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Good morning! Temps are in the high 60's to low 70's again this week. Very unusual for this time of year but we're enjoying it. Did my usual shopping on Saturday. Then just read and relaxed. I started a new book by Liz Curtis Higgs called Unveiling Mary Magdalene. There is a fictional story that takes place in modern times about someone named Mary then the 2nd half of the book is a bible study about Mary Magdalene. I'm almost done with the fictional story. It is pretty good.

Debora, WOW, what a week! I would have totally freaked out if I stepped on a 4 ft snake in my house! Then to have your son's family have a home invader?! Thank God he was harmless! How frightening! I bet that will teach the kids to make sure the door is locked!!! I can't even imagine what that was like. That is one of my fears in this crazy world we live in today. Hopefully this coming week won't be so "exciting"! :)

Well, have a great week!
  • arobed53
    Options
    Our week of Bible School at our church is over. We had about 200 kids – pre-k through 8th grade. I kept grands with 4 – 6 here overnight and 10 here for one lunch and afternoon. And it all went well. Of course, there were moments but overall, no complaints. They went to bed well, got up well, ate what I fixed, did a couple fo projects for me. One did get sick during the night on Thursday so that wasn’t fun and she ended up going home Friday morning. We had a sports theme and the curriculum was written by two women in our church, another wrote the skit to go with it and then we had all the teachers and helpers. I lined up meals for the married teachers and helped kids line up and held the door as they walked in each day. Then most days, I helped count the offering. There’s always a contest between the boys and the girls. The missionary this week work on a college campus with international students so the money is helping to send them to a conference at Christmas. The goal was to send 20 but over $12,000 came in and that will send 50. The boys won 4 of the day but the girls did win one day and they had the overall win (first time in six years) by only $60 dollars. Friday evening we had the program and then enjoyed ice cream and visiting and the grands went home with their parents.
    At the noon meal on Friday, we have leftovers only it’s have more fun by me pretending they have come to a nice restaurant and they order off the menu. I still froze a few things but that helped clean up some things and was fun. Hubby doesn’t get into it very well but I still fed him – ha.
    This morning we ran into two and did our shopping for this week and a bit for the next since I know I’ll be gone a couple of days. So since kids are coming tomorrow, of course, I got everything put away. I have a meat loaf ready to cook and made a fruit salad. I straightened the house yesterday as the kids played so just double-checked things today. We bought cinnamon rolls (on the mark down shelf but date is good through tomorrow) and will use them for dessert.

Isabella, those are nice temps. We’ve had more 80s to 90s. Inside is a good place to be. Today is in the 80s but cloudy so not as hot. I’m not sure the air conditioner has run. But we gave it a workout during the week cause we kept it cooker than we usually do so the kids would be comfortable. Liz Higgs is a good author. Are you planning to do the Bible study too.
    I did not tell the kids about the snake or they might not have slept downstairs so well. Derek’s were not telling the kids about the intruder so as not to scare them but I’m sure the locking the door still got emphasized in some way.
    I just finished a biography about a lady with a laundramat and how she was led by the spirit. Now I’m reading about a woman doctor who worked with the Amish but set quite a few years ago.
    Hubby just came in from the last of his chicken chores so will send this and get supper on (leftovers of course). Have a great week.
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Good afternoon! Did my usual shopping Saturday and also went to a couple other stores. After that we had lunch then worked the puzzle, did some bible study homework, and read.

Got a letter from DMV a few days ago stating that they were going to cancel the registration for my new car because I do not have insurance. Come to find out that the dealership gave me the wrong VIN number which I gave to my insurance company. I should have waited until I had the actual paperwork or checked the car. :( I got it straightened out with my insurance company and am waiting for DMV to acknowledge the correction. Crazy!

Debora, glad to hear the bible school went well. Wise not the tell the kids about the snake. The books you are reading sound interesting. I am always interested in reading about the Amish. I think they have the right idea in many ways!

Yes, I am doing the Mary Magdalene bible study. So far they cleared up some misconceptions. Such as: she was not a prostitute nor was she the woman with the alabaster jar. They believe that she was a middle aged woman of some means. Very interesting so far.

Well, take care and have a blessed week!
  • arobed53
    Options
    I stayed up after he left so I was able to be at my sister’s at 6 so we and her daugher could head out went to visit our oldest sister. We were there by lunchtime. We knew within an hour that it’s time for her to go to a nursing home. Walking has gotten harder for her but she still makes her treks to the bathroom. Her house is small but from the start to leave her chair and then to the bathroom and back takes about 30 minutes. He good foot is turned funny now. The good thing is that she is ready to go. There is no nursing home in the town she is in so they are checking into one where one of her great-granddaughters lives. I am praying it is soon cause her being along doesn’t seem safe – much different than 10 months ago. We did some little things for her. I made her two of her crustless pumpkin pies. Donna trimmed her rose bush which was blooming beautifully. All she can see is the top of it but doesn’t seem to mind always being I the house. Even when she needs blood work done, they come over from the hospital to get it. (She worked at the hospital for years and now lives fairly close to it). We headed home around 2:30. Again we divided up the driving and got Donna’s daughter back for a visitation and then I suggested we stop and eat and we had a nice visit while we did that. Ralph was glad when I got home. :)
    Today has been at home. I straightened the house which wasn’t too had, baked a cake and made some applesauce jello. I just sliced up the onions so shed a few tears. Got the gifts ready for the two June birthdays and will fix supped in a bit – scrambled eggs with orange pepper and onion. After we eat I’ll do the dishes, get the pop for tomorrow in the fridge. At 8 I’ll call my sister, do our pills and then we’re ready for the new week.

Isabella, nice to have the shopping done and a relaxing day. What the picture of the puzzle? The other night a friend was talking about her grandson liking to work puzzles. She showed us a picture of a 1000 piece donut one that he worked most of it - had some help and it was the 6 year old. I worked in the basement a bit two and found two 1000 piece puzzles (not sure where they came from) but I have a friend I'll give them too. That's too big for me.
    What a mess with your car. Glad it's straightened up.
    Your Bible study sounds interesting. I'm reading a book that talks about the Quakers some. It's slow going but good.

Enjoy your week.
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Good morning! This week will be in the high 70's. Wonderful! Did my usual shopping but rushed thru it since we have a guy working on the slope this morning and I wanted to get back in time before he is finished so Dan doesn't have to deal with getting him paid, etc. When I got back he had already finished and had just left so Dan had to handle writing the check but he was OK with it. Found a new guy to work on our slope. He was recommended by a gal in my bible study and did a wonderful job! Brought the correct plants and they were very healthy. He worked hard and was fast. We will probably have him come back and plant more very soon. Really feel ripped off with the previous guy since all the plants he planted were either the wrong plant or too small to spread and cover the ground. :( We should have cut him loose sooner. Not much else going on.

Debora, the picture on the puzzle we are working on right now is a suburban neighborhood scene with houses, people walking, lots of bushes and trees, and a vegetable garden. Very nice. Our favorite brand is Masterpieces. We have a couple of people we trade puzzles with so we aren't always spending money on them. We have 6 or 8 waiting to be worked.

Good that you got to visit your sister. Hope they find a place for her very soon. And Happy Father's day to Ralph. :)

Have a blessed week!
  • arobed53
    Options
    Hi, the week has zoomed by. I have managed to do my 12 minutes downstairs each day and feel like I am making some progress. I’ve tossed some things and have some ready to donate. I’m really trying to let things go. The boxes have more like things in them than I thought which is helpful. We had our yearly medicare time and then saw our doctor. It’s my year to get a colonoscopy so need to get it set up. Our 4-H foods kids did the birthday party at the nursing home – we brought the cakes and served them. Then we had a foods meeting discussing the cookies they had made and then got to have milk and cookies. From there Ralph and I hurried off to Sam’s to get some cheese, quickly eat and then get to Maggie’s game. When we got there a tad late in my mind, we found out her fame was not for another hour So we definitely early. It was fun to watch her play.
    Wednesday morning I had Bible study. Thursday Ralph finally got to have his hernia surgery. He had to quit eating at midnight but we didn’t check in till 11:30 (just before noon) and we were home by 5. He had two of the hard drugs for pain, then switched to tylenol and is now doing nothing so that’s good. I gathered eggs when we came home. Friday we went out together and today he went on his own. I will have to trust him on the lifting. The incision is not bandaged so it’s easy to check that it looks good.
    Since we didn’t know how Ralph would feel, none of the kids will be here for dinner tomorrow so I just did the usual plugging along today. Tomorrow we’ll finish up the hamburgers I made last Sunday. We had pizza and salad tonight – probably for the first time in three weeks. I think we’ll get back on our “normal” schedule now. I get some things taken care of but there are always more things to take their place. Keeps things interesting.

Hi Isabella, that is so good that you've connected with a guy doing what you want. That helped Dan not mind writing the check. That scene for the puzzle sounds fun and lots of different things to look for. I've not heard of that kind but also doesn't mean I haven't worked and not noticed. Yes, sharing puzzles is nice to do. I also pick them up at thrift stores. I've got a couple to take to when my younger brother comes and my family gets together. We almost always do one (other than at Christmas)

Enjoy your week.
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Good morning! This week has been in the high 70's to low 80's. Will be low to mid 80's for the rest of the week though. Normal weather is finally here. Did my usual shopping Saturday then went with a friend to check out a new facility that has programs for seniors. Seems nice. We picked up a catalog and we'll see if we decide to become a member and participate in some activities. I'm always interested in cooking classes so hope they have some and that they are not expensive. I reached out to the new landscape guy to come back and plant more. He will contact the nursery to see if they have the plants and get back to me. Our neighbor was so impressed with the job he did that she wants to call him to get a quote to clear the weeds on her side of the slope! Yay! Hope she hires him so her weeds will stop coming over to our side of the slope! :)

I have lunch today at the senior center after the gym. They are serving "Reuben Meatloaf". Sounds interesting. Then lunch tomorrow with my bible study girls. Always enjoyable.

Debora, glad things went so well with Ralph's hernia surgery. Hopefully he will behave and not re-injure himself by lifting heavy stuff too soon.

Have a great week!
  • arobed53
    Options
    The last few days have been warm ones. Today it is just up to 90 but we hit 100 one day but I’m not outside a lot so have survived. Sunday Ralph decided to go to Sunday School and church and did fine but then he was ready to take it easy the rest of the day. I think he’s doing well. He’s trying to be careful about liftng but sometimes does something without thinking about it. He’s glad it is done.
    I enjoyed having Monday and Tuesday all at home. Have lots of little things I’m working on. Finally about caught up on the treasurer stuff for Willing Workers, have gone through more bracelets and each day have gotten my 10 minutes in downstairs. I’ve got more piles out in the room but the closet seems emptier and I’m ready when Ralph burns the trash with some to take out. I don’t want to take it till a fire is going since some is very old cancelled checks that I can let go.
    Wednesday was Bible study. Then in the late afternoon we took two chicken in for a 4-H family. Then have to be tested for a certain thing and the family had a conflict. So they brought them here before their event and came and got them afterwards. It was okay to do it since Ralph can handle the birds. I also had some points at Pizza Hut that were going to expire so I ordered a pizza and order of breadsticks and didn’t have to pay anything. Thursday night was the last softball game for two of the grands. That was the 100 degree day but we had shade to sit in and it wasn’t bad at all. They didn’t win but still fun to watch. We stopped by their house and planned the food for the get-together when my brother and his girls come next week.
    Friday we actually got to go to town on Friday. First time in a month. We’ve been shopping on different days and times because of other things going on so we enjoyed getting back in to the routine. Pop was on sale so stocked up for the gathering and got some for a friend. Got bone-in chicken (leg quarters) for Sunday dinner so we’ll so how that goes. We came home, put away the cold stuff and had our sandwiches. Then we went and picked up the brown car (which is still not running much better) and went to another town. We had $1.00 in fuel points to use so filled both cars and some gas cans and got the oil changed on one car. I was glad to get home and thankful that Ralph let me drive the car with the good ac.
    Today I straightened the house and cut up a watermelon. I have BBQ green beans (without bacon) going and a veggie tray to take to a goat roast that we’re going to this evening. We’re looking forward to seeing some of our Kenyan friends. I hope I can help serve the meal. And we will probably come home before they do the fireworks cause it’s so late before it gets dark. I’ll leave it up for Ralph. The hosts live in our neighborhood (a large area in the country) so we only have to drive a few miles.
    We don’t have any big plans for the 4th. Enjoy whatever you do.

Isabella, your weather sounds nice. Warm but not to warm. Great that your neighbor wants to hire the landscape guy too. You're finally getting it taken care the way you want it. How was the rueben meatloaf. It does sound interesting. You do some fun and interesting things.
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Hi. Temps are in the mid 80's this week. Still not too bad. A nice breeze in the mornings and evenings. Did my usual shopping but on Friday since the landscape guy was coming to work on the slope on Saturday morning. He did a wonderful job as always. Told him to let us know when he finds more plants and we'll have him plant another section. He did not call the neighbor to clean her slope. He is very busy. Hope he calls her back soon.

I plan to cook burgers for 4th of July. Then we will do our usual walk across the street to watch the fireworks.

Debora, the reuben meatloaf was good. Wasn't too different from the usual meatloaf but you could taste the rye bread in it.

That's about it for now.
    Happy 4th of July!
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Good morning. Temps are in the low to mid 90's this week. Not that unusual - it is the middle of July after all. Silly that TV news is calling this an "extreme heat warning". I have been going for a walk much earlier and Dan and I have been able to sit outside in the evening and enjoy the yard. In the middle of the day we stay indoors. :)

Not much new going on. did my usual shopping. Had lunch with my bible study girls which is always nice. Also had a lunch at the senior center. One of the gals was there that I haven't seen in a while so that was nice. There is a woman I met a couple of times who is now in the hospital. She has cancer. They have stopped treatments and told her she has about 3 months left. I called her and tried to share about Jesus but she said she doesn't believe. Made me very sad. But God is in control. Someone else can water the seed so there is still hope.

There is a movie out this week called "The Miracle Club". It stars Maggie Smith, Cathy Bates, and Laura Linney. It takes place in Dublin in 1967 and is about 4 women who have never been outside of Dublin and win a contest at the Catholic Church for a trip to Lourdes, France. Sounds good. It is only in the theater for one week. I plan to see it with a friend on Tuesday.

Well that's about it here.

Have a blessed week.
  • arobed53
    Options
    Wow, I knew I had not written for a bit but I have really been missing in action. This month is flying by. The 4th of July was low key. We were home during the day and went over to a friend’s house in the evening and sat in the living room and visited. I watched fireworks as we drove home and told Ralph to keep his eyes on the road.
    That week my sister had a detached retina so had surgery for that. Then for a week she had to use a lot of drops and 30 minutes out of every hour she had to put her head down in a sponge like thing that had an opening for her face. She had the surgery on the 6th so was feeling better by Saturday which I was very glad.
    Saturday was a busy day. First thing was the County 4-H Fashion Revue and construction judging. I helped with check-in so you see a number of 4-H families. When check-in was done, I headed home. Ralph and I loaded the coolers and went to church and loaded the pop directly into them and then went to Derek’s house for a one day McCullough reunion. My baby brother (who is 64) and his two daughters came to Kansas. We probably haven’t seen them for at least 4 years. So all who could gathered for the afternoon evening. The siblings also ate lunch together. Lindsey fixed it since Donna wasn’t up to eating out. Then the rest came as they could. We had about 36 there of which 24 is our family. We had representatives from 5 of the 9 siblings and facetimed with another one. We worked five puzzles (4 300 piece and one 500 piece) during the time, kids enjoyed the swimming pool, the corn hole was out, lots of visiting was done, we grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for supper and later had smores. One nephew came who is really a loner. After a couple of hours he had had enough so he thought he could walk home (30 miles) and left. Eventually, he texted and they found him only about a mile away. So later his brother took him and his Mom (Donna) home. It tired her after awhile. We left around 9 and the last ones around 11.
    The 10th we had our 4-H tour. The first stop only had three families which was good since two of us got lost since I put in the wrong address – hit a 2 instead of the 3. A phone call took care of it and because we got lost, Ralph saw an old tractor which he wants to go look at with Clark sometime. We had three stops where we saw the 4-Hers and their animals. Our last stop we had our sack lunches and kids swam. We go to a family that used to be in 4-H. It was a nice evening to be out.
    The 15th in the morning I got to go to a baby shower for a friend. Good food and fun with a number of ladies. It wasn’t a large group so I felt honored to be invited. Then in the afternoon we went and got Derek’s 4 youngest. Derek, Lindsey and Taryn and two other couples and their oldest kids were headed to the Bahamas. The couples went about 14 years ago and thought it would be fun to take the kids that stayed home then. Sunday we had tacos for dinner and just Lori’s family extra. I got the youngest (4) down for his nap and then went and helped set up the concession stand. The rest were 8, 11, and 12. They all slept downstairs. And they all slept all night. Jordan was an early riser (like 6:30). They enjoyed the food. Of course, I fixed things I knew they liked. We had movie night on Sunday. When I put the boys to bed, the girls watched America’s Got Talent. We got the legos out, I brought beads home and the girls made some necklaces. The girls brought books along and we watched some shows I had taped.
    Tuesday morning, we got up and ate muffins and packed up and drove to their house to meet up with Lindsey’s parents who then took the vehicle and kids and they have them until Friday. We went on into town and I went to a Flylady’s friend’s house and five of us had a good time visiting. We had drinks and snacks. Ralph went on to a dinner meeting with World Impact and now may be doing some more book shopping. :) I left my nice hot/cold cup at friend’s house so will get it when we get together again in a month or two.
    Today was Bible study. We are getting close to the end of the book so are looking around to see what to do next. I have been going through a closet in the basement so am working on boxing the things up that I’m going to donate and will load them up next week and take. I think I’ll have about a trunkload of stuff. Yay.
    Tomorrow starts our County 4-H Fair with set-up so the next six days I’ll be spending part of each day there. It’s busy but fun. This coming Sunday we’re going to Derek’s church for Taryn’s baptism and that evening everyone will meet at Freddy’s to do the July birthdays so I need to get my gifts together.
    So that’s what I’ve been up to.

Isabella, I’m so glad you had the chance to plant a seed with the woman that has cancer. Praying someone will be able to water it. We’ve had several very hot days – some over 100 but I’m good at staying inside. We are enjoying garden veggies from friends. Tonight we’ll have corn on the cob with our pizza. I have plenty of leftovers with having the kids here cause we made fresh food with each meal.

• isyvanek
    Options
    Good morning! It is a bit cooler today. Temps around 88 but a tad more humid so it's all relative I guess. Did my usual shopping Saturday and picked up a turkey dinner meal at Sprouts so I wouldn't have to cook. Been trying to have dinners that are cold or don't require much heat.

Our hot water heater started making some very strange banging noises every time we took a shower so we called the plumber. It is only 7 yrs old! Of course we needed a new one. They have new codes and regulations now so it cost us $3,350! But at least they gave us a 10 yr warranty. Apparently that's about all you can expect these days.

The movie Tuesday called the Miracle Club was good. It was basically about reconciliation among friends and family. The 2 gals I went with didn't know eachother but got along well so that was enjoyable as well. One of the previews was for Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 coming out in September. I will definitely want to see that.

I have 2 lunches planned this week. I will go to the senior center on Wed then our neighborhood ladies lunch is this Thursday. It is my turn to choose the restaurant and make reservations, etc. so I chose Hamberburger Factory. I have 16 ladies going so I'm very happy about that!

Debora, you've had a VERY busy month! Your reunion sounds wonderful! And a flyladies gathering too - what a great time. Glad everything went well with having the kids. Hope Derek and Lindsey and the kids enjoyed their time in the Bahamas.

Well, that's about it for me. Have a blessed week!
  • isyvanek
    Options
    Good morning. It has been in the low 90's this week but after today it should go down to the mid 80's. Kinda humid for our area but I'm not complaining.

The neighborhood lunch that I put together went really well. Everyone really enjoyed their meals and the company. One of the gals brought her daughter who is visiting from Kenya. They sat across from me so I got to ask her lots of questions about life in Kenya. Very interesting.

On Thursday our bible study group had our last gathering till the end of September so we had a potluck and fellowship. Always enjoyable. I brought a peach torte that I bought at Trader Joe's.

I'm going to lunch with a neighbor tomorrow, then senior lunch on Wednesday. After the lunch I'm going to visit a friend who had another fall and just now starting to recover and is finally home. Then Saturday a bible study friend and I are going to a community theater matinee of a play by Agatha Christie. I'm really looking forward to it. I finally found someone who will go to live theater with me!

Debora, I'm sure you're busy as always. Take care and have a blessed week!
  • arobed53
    Options
    Getting in here once a week seems to be hard for me and if I don’t write now, it could be three weeks – ha – cause I took on a part time job. With driving, it will take up 3-4 hours a day but the work will not be hard and it’s paying well so can use the money for shipping books or shoeboxes or or or. It’s doing some work for a handicapped brother of one of Ralph’s cousin’s husband. He was in car accident when he was five and now is in his 70s. They have had the same caregiver for about 25 years and all at once she up and quit with a week’s notice. They already had tickets to go visit their daughter in Alaska so wanted someone to cover the time they are gone and then they can work with the agency to get someone new. And that’s why they are paying so well. I will pick up trash, do laundry, clean the litter box and make sure food and water are out for the cat. I’ll put out clothes for him and make sure food is in the fridge to cover the meal till I come the next day. He does cereal for breakfast. He not a big eater and he heats everything for one minute in the microwave. I went and met him the other night – Ralph came along since he knows him and it seems easy enough other than that I won’t get much done at home. But it was Ralph’s idea that I do after a few people I asked said no. His brother went home today so I officially start tomorrow.
    When I wrote last time, the country fair was starting. It was fun. I had some responsibility each day and enjoyed visiting and seeing people. I didn’t do much beyond what I had to do but that’s okay. We did get to see Taryn get baptized and hear her testimony. Then we ate at Panera’s so I got the strawberry poppyseed salad I like. In the evening the family met at Freddy’s and ate and did birthdays and every made it.
    The Friday and Saturday after the fair, my sister, Donna and I went out to see Barb. She knew she would be moving so had me go through all her photo albums (over 40 of them) and pull out McCullough pictured. So I left the Hendrickson ones along with lots of scenery pictures. I brought 12 albums home and at some point, I’ll put out pictures and sort by family and hand them out. We also emptied out most of the kitchen and brought most of it home to keep or donate.
    So Sunday, it was just Lori’s family so we went to McDonalds’ to eat since Jeremiah was going to college the next easy (only 2 hours away and early for volleyball). Not sure what all I did last week but I did start working with a new person on church projects. She’s also a widow but my age and lots of kids but she volunteered and said it’s still lonely and she enjoys doing this kind of stuff. She said she works slowly but she’s faster than Arlene was (and younger). We had stuff in the living room from the fair and from going to my sister’s so by Sunday got it all stashed in the basement and got ready to have them here for dinner. Baked rolls for the first time in about a month.
    It was fun to have them here. They left about three. Lori left a bunch of pencil packs for Ralph to do for shoeboxes. Then we also went in to meet Bill and set up for that job. Today I walked with my friend (she had been on vacation). Then I was home all day. Did laundry, got through the pile of mail and a bunch of little things. Hopefully enough to keep me going since I’ll now be gone some for sure every day.
    I’m glad we made the trip out to Barb’s cause she fell twice this past week and hit her head the second time. Not bad but they had her go to the hospital and then from moving to the nursing home. A little sooner than planned but at least it is set up for her. Then the grandkids there will have to clean her house.
    Ralph is headed to the neighbor’s to help catch chicken that will be going to their demise tomorrow and then he will take some of ours. We are still swimming in eggs.

Isabella, we finally hit your temps today. We’ve had a lot of days over 100, but also got an inch of rain. Your weeks have sounded relaxing and lots of fun – meals out, time with friends. Glad you enjoyed the movie and wonderful to find someone that will go see live theater with you. That’s fun to do.

I need to order the next books for our Bible study and get my list made for tomorrow so talk to you later. Have a great week.
  • arobed53
    Options

Today was a full day. We went to a training for Good News Clubs and enjoyed a delicious lunch at the end. Then we drove to the next town over and watched the Pratt volleyball girls. Grandson Jeremiah is one of the student managers so we also watch her recoding whatever on an ipad. The playing was very good. From there we went to my caregiver job. Today was shower day and I left enough food for two days and will take tomorrow off. Then it was supper at McDonald’s, a visitation and home. I still have a bit to do for tomorrow, but nice to sit down for a bit.
    The caregiver job is going fine. It’s not hard. I spend more time driving (40 miles each way) then I do with Bill. I hope they can find someone in the area to do it. I’m getting paid mileage but that won’t happen with the next person. They are being overly generous with me. The cat left a gift in the bedroom today so hope I doing her litterbox and stuff okay. I’ve never cared for a cat so…..
    Got the new books ordered for Bible Study – we’ll do a study on Mary by Elizabeth George. I was hoping they would come today but I should have them by Wednesday. I also have almost all the books I ordered for Taryn so can get them to her. I think one more needs to come. She has a lot of reading to do the next year – things like Hamlet, Brave New World, Moby Dick, Robinson Crusoe, etc.
    We took Ava shopping for a bookbag and also got a notebook for her. There was a Minnie Mouse bookbag at Walmart. She loves Minnie and since she’ll never technically graduate from the 8th grade, we just did it now. And afterwards, we ate at McDonalds.
    Monday is 4-H so I’m trying to do some stuff early since it’s usually busy day anyway and this time I also have to “work”. We’re also going to a nursing home so meeting earlier. Might as well stay busy.
    Enjoy your weekend. (and thanks for letting me reply ahead of you.)
  • arobed53
    Options
    Howdy, we’ve had some cooler mornings but the heat is back in the afternoon. Got up to 110 today. I was glad for the ac in the car while I drove to my job but it still took awhile to cool down. The week went fast. Monday was 4-H so I got things ready in the morning and loaded up stuff for 4-H and some stuff for Lori. Went in to care for Bill and then picked up two of Lori’s girls. Left her stuff and then we went to the local nursing home where about 10 4-Hers showed and talked about things they took to the fair. It went very fast even with visiting with the residents. We went over to the church and the kids played while we waited for the pizza to come. We ate together and then had our 4-H meeting.
    Tuesday I worked with friend at church – we got ballots ready for our business meetings coming up. Went home and got all the books I had ordered for Taryn together. We ate and then Ralph and I headed to town. He visited a bookstore while I was at Bill’s and then we ate at Cracker Barrel for our 48th anniversary.
    Wednesday was Bible study, work and a church meeting. We didn’t end up using any of the ballots cause we did the amendments by hand vote but will probably need them next week. We started the meeting at 6:30 and ended up at 10 so a full day.
    Thursday I had part of the morning at home. Another woman from church and I took a bunch of clothes and snacks that we had collected for our local grade school. That was fun. Then when I came home from work, we went to town to the thrift store. They had everything 50% off all day. Ralph got a bunch of books and I found a few things. Then we ate at McDonalds.
    Friday was our usual shopping. Then to see Bill and at home I started getting ready for Sunday. This morning I did more of that. I got frozen lasagnas and French bread so I didn’t have to do a lot of work – probably not so smart in view of the heat going up but it is what it is.
    Ralph got rid of all his old hens but we still have lots of eggs from the pullets. It’s not financially smart but we are giving lots of them away. The price has come way down in the store too so harder to sell. But it’s still nice to be able to share.
    All who can will be here tomorrow to celebrate the four August birthdays. Jeremiah’s away at college and Brecken starts rehearsals with the Wichita children’s orchestra. It’s an honor but practices are mostly on Sundays. This is the first one so maybe we can figure out a different time for next month.

Isabella, hope all is okay with you. Take care.