NM'isms & NM Memories

Options

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    NutriMirror's closing message:

"A Message from the Creators of NutriMirror

A lot can happen in ten years. It’s hard to believe that it was way back in 2005, back in the dark ages of the Internet, when we first recognized a need for an easy-to-use online food journal that would allow people to take control of their diets and their health in a safe, scientifically sound manner. There were few calorie counting systems available back then, and none with the comprehensive breadth and depth that we envisioned for not only helping people to lose weight, but to encourage and support lifestyle changes, positive nutrition, and a love of healthy living.

Since then we’ve had our ups and downs. We’ve helped a lot of people, and we’re proud of that. But we’ve also faced a rapidly evolving Internet, the rise of mobile devices and apps, a maturing market of competitive services, quite a few nutty nutrition trends, and a business model that has never shown itself to be sustainable.

Ten years is a long time, and it is also long enough. And so it is with heavy hearts that we announce that NutriMirror will be closing for good on January 21, 2015.

We invite you to stop by our Journal Room to say your goodbyes, to discuss alternate services that might now fit your needs, and to figure out how we can all stay in touch with each other in the future. We’ll miss you all, and we do hope to see you around.

Sincerely,
    Jim, Pam, and Michael"
  • mygnsac
    Options
    My very first day of logging on NM, February 12, 2012. Red all over the place! 4 candy bars!!

1wwgb5ka5gga.jpg
  • tlspindor
    tlspindor Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    From Blazinmomma: Anybody who's struggling, Look!! I did. :)
    This is so true, and if we can remember it when we struggle, it will help. :)

kjq12cz6c3c6.jpg

Thanks, Blazin.
    FerrisFerris
    October 29, 2012, 11:48 am

:-)
    delmardelmar
    October 29, 2012, 12:32 pm

Can't argue with that! Thanks
    mygnsacmygnsac
    October 29, 2012, 12:47 pm

Amen.
    gouldthorpgouldthorp
    October 29, 2012, 1:49 pm

So true!
    carrieredheadcarrieredhead
    October 29, 2012, 3:14 pm

Awesome!
    jodell7jodell7
    October 29, 2012, 5:15 pm

Yup.
    jla399jla399
    October 29, 2012, 8:02 pm

We use to have a like button on NM

Like!
    SylviaAnnSylviaAnn
    October 29, 2012, 11:46 pm

This one almost got away unread. Thanks, blazinmomma.
    jim_rayjim_ray
    NutriMirror Staff
    October 30, 2012, 1:00 pm

:)
    lmatavalmatava
    October 30, 2012, 2:13 pm

Right on Blazin! :)
    melcutlermelcutler
    October 30, 2012, 4:55 pm
  • mygnsac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mike Ray's last post:

"The Last Days of NutriMirror

6jcsvq83i9p6.jpg

The clock is winding down toward Wednesday, the day we pull the plug and end this great experiment we call NutriMirror. So I wanted to take this last opportunity to say goodbye to all of you who have been friends and fans through the years. We had high hopes for what we could do with this website, and we're happy that we were able to do some good while we were here, but in the end it wasn't something that could be sustained indefinitely.

It's been great to hear from so many of you since we made the announcement of our closing. Your support has been very much appreciated. To those who hoped to find some alternative to keep us going, thank you. We had run through all the options ourselves, but in the end this was the best choice for us at this time. You should know that I'm holding onto the code and the food database we've created, and there may be a resurrection of sorts in some new form in the future, but for now we have a number of unrelated obligations that would prevent us from giving NutriMirror the attention it deserves.

In the meantime, many of you have already moved on to other systems. But I'd like to call your attention to just a few things before you go:
    • Over on Facebook there's a new NM Family Page. Be sure to become a member so that you can stay in touch with all your old friends.
    • Lynn and Susan are working to put together something new to carry on the tradition we've started here. Read Lynn's post to learn more and to share your own ideas.
    • I have my own Facebook page. I don't spend much time there, but you can be sure that I'll use it to announce anything new, so give me a follow.
    • If you want to save any of the old journals you've posted to NutriMirror, or your old food logs or recipes, head over to the archive page. You've only got a few days left.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the great fun we've had over the last years, and I'd like to wish you the best of luck and health in the future.

Stay in touch!"
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Pam Ray's last post:

"Thanks for the memories

d8c2cuc6x46n.jpg

It’s my time to say something thought provoking…

That’s a tall order. I leave the writing to Jim and Mike. Mike can handle the technical issues and get into science. Jim on the other hand can give advice and guidance.

So this will be me blabbering….

I am the keeper of memories. These last ten years are filled with wonderful stories. We have shared happiness and sadness.

We’ve discovered “writers” among us. Lynn and SERVING up a SMILE, Kel and TGIF with Kel, and who remembers Witch Daddy and Goulthorp!

Writing a book with 40 people had to be tops on my list! Then when it was finally published sending one copy all over the United States so the contributors could autograph it for Jim. It took so long I often feared it was lost.

Hosting walks because I realized there were a lot of people in the Southern California area using NutriMirror. It wasn’t limited to San Diego, Granny traveled from Oklahoma to attend our walks. When we all got together it was as if we had know one another for years. Those of you who couldn’t travel hosted your own get together and reported back with pictures.

The autograph party at one walk because we brought our copies of BDBL.

m.o.m’s recipes, thanks Tere (my sister) and Bethany (my niece)

Sheila and Susan, thanks for all the work you did.

Jcsteel and Henny Penny the Birthday Chickens Birthday post!

Jamaica2sun’s trophies!

The recipes you so generously shared.

Granny is such and inspiration she had articles written about her in her local newspaper!

“NSV “ was used so often I put it in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION. That’s “Non scale victory”.

Does anyone remember when we each changed our USER PICTURE to someone famous and no one knew who was who!

How we cheered when people met a goal. And encouraged those who struggled. We’ve laughed and cried together.

We welcomed back, with open arms, those who left but found their way “home”.

Cindy’s mistaken post that took on a life of it’s own. Ferris, taking over when the post got too big to handle and re-naming it “the Pot Bellied Stove/Water Cooler.”

The Challenges you hosted.

The Christmas exchange.

A lot of these things happened because of this community, this family, you wonderful people.

I will never forget. Thanks for the memories.

On to the next adventure..."
  • tlspindor
    tlspindor Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks Marcie, putting Mike's and Pam's post up. :) We will miss our NM home. :'( NM will always be remember. <3 I have several good post from SylivaAnn that I will eventually put up here about "Water" and even some of SMcGinniss (Spongy). :D
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm finally taking the time to browse through this site and all these posts. This was a great walk down memory lane. I was able to attend two of the NM Walks down in Encinitas. I had a blast meeting many members in person. I'll never forget the fun we had. One of those NM Walks, I was able to "host" Granny. She could buy an airline ticket, but couldn't afford a hotel. Her first trip out there, the very first walk, (I didn't get to that one), she stayed with JC. The third year, Sue was more ill and JC couldn't have Granny over, so I had her stay with me at my parents' house. We hit it off immediately. We planned to go to the Walk the following year and Granny could fly out to Southern California, drive back home with me and fly home out of Portland. When the NM Walk was cancelled, Granny still came to stay with me for vacation and we had our own Northwest NM get together. Small group, but loads of fun!!!
  • mygnsac
    Options
    sannferris wrote: »
    I'm finally taking the time to browse through this site and all these posts. This was a great walk down memory lane. I was able to attend two of the NM Walks down in Encinitas. I had a blast meeting many members in person. I'll never forget the fun we had. One of those NM Walks, I was able to "host" Granny. She could buy an airline ticket, but couldn't afford a hotel. Her first trip out there, the very first walk, (I didn't get to that one), she stayed with JC. The third year, Sue was more ill and JC couldn't have Granny over, so I had her stay with me at my parents' house. We hit it off immediately. We planned to go to the Walk the following year and Granny could fly out to Southern California, drive back home with me and fly home out of Portland. When the NM Walk was cancelled, Granny still came to stay with me for vacation and we had our own Northwest NM get together. Small group, but loads of fun!!!

You should post some pics here Sheryl!

• sannferris
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have many pictures in photobucket, I'll try the link.
    http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/saferris/library/Granny%20visiting%202013?sort=3&page=1

Click on any of the 8 sub-albums for more photos.

I have my photobucket public so you can browse through more if you want. I don't put anyone's full name in there because it is public. The trip to the Grist Mill was fun, Sue brought wheat from her farm and got it milled there, and then we made muffins with her wheat.
  • sannferris
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey, I did it! the link worked.

In the Grist Mill photos, the guy in the overalls is John.

Also, on the left side, all my albums are listed. My first NM Walk is under July 30, 2011, Encinitas and the second one I attended is listed as July 2012 NutriMirror Walk.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Great addition Sheryl! Yay on your first link too!
  • sannferris
    Options
    Oh No, I thought NSV was a NM Original.
    I was browsing the message boards and found a post about reporting your NSV. I'm glad others have discovered the value of anything other than what the scale says, but I am sad that our acronym wasn't exclusive to NM.
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    Well, that was where we learned about it.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    sannferris wrote: »
    Oh No, I thought NSV was a NM Original.
    I was browsing the message boards and found a post about reporting your NSV. I'm glad others have discovered the value of anything other than what the scale says, but I am sad that our acronym wasn't exclusive to NM.

LOL, maybe someone came over to NM and took it with them?

• mygnsac
    Options
  • mygnsac
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Recognize anyone??

kbsjbqc9l7ma.jpg

x60elzw2h4dk.jpg

• anewstart22
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I loved all the videos, thanks for posting them. I'll definitely be making some of those recipes from Lynn.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Pam posted this pic over on the NM Family Page on Facebook...

"A past trade show in Vegas and Sylvia shows up!"

5s9zle7h6h1h.jpg