What are your high carb cravings and replacements?

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I crave crunchy/salty things when I am craving carbs. I don't actively seek out a replacement though since the cravings aren't active when I keep my total carbs low and am not indulging in my beloved Coke Zero.

I'm also not one for cravings, fortunately. (knock on bacon)

That said - I will take teaspoons of grated parmesan cheese, put them on parchment paper on a plate in the microwave (generally 7 to a batch, in a hexagon with one in the center) and then nuke it for 60-90 seconds. (YMMV, microwaves vary, yadda yadda yadda...)

Let them cool and you have an awesome salty, crispy snack!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like rice with meals.. from Louisiana originally, so rice and gravy was a mainstay. I am allowed some grains now and had brown rice last night but I normally substitute cauliflower for rice and potatoes, and Zoodles (spiral cut zuchinni) for noodles and do well with that. Chocolate, I just have it.. 86% one square.. sometimes two. I really flew off the ranch at Christmas and am having a hard time getting back.

I have been sick for the past 5 days so.. I seem to hear a voice that says, "Eat, you'll feel better." Pretty sure it's my mom and my granny.. who really thought food was the cure for the common ailments. At least it's not my dad's voice.. it would say "Put whiskey and honey in a spoon and take it.. that will scare the cough right out of you."
  • Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I sometimes want pasta or rice/mashed potatoes. To replace pasta, I use Pasta Zero. To replace rice/mashed potatoes, we know I use cauliflower.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I make atkins cheese cake. No nuts or the crust but it is good if you want the carbs. Crustless cheese cake . Hits the sweet spot.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was missing corn chips so I made kale chips and they are delicious, almost just as good IMO.
    But I've been following a strict low carb, nutritious, diet and I don't get many cravings. So much so that when I make aunt Jemima chocolate chip pancakes for my daughters, I don't really miss them even though I love them.
    I will make cauliflower crust pizza tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it will replace regular pizza right away. I'm not a picky eater so that helps.
    My most beloved dessert and food in general is Cinnabon cinnamon rolls. I can't replace them, nothing can, but I don't crave them and I don't go to the mall often :D
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    We had Miracle Noodles for dinner tonight. It was okay. Bonus, I did not feel "heavy" after a normal meal of pasta and sauce.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Pork Rinds is my go to snack now and I keep a few bags in the car truck so they are never far away. I do not live on them but when I am late for/miss a meal for one reason or another I have the ZERO carb snack at hand.
  • Chris_1974
    Options
    Frozen Reddi Whip is yummy! Also, heavy whipping cream and diet root beer over ice is so good. Just like a float!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This morning I made the Atkins pancakes with cream cheese and egg and it solved a way to get two eggs down with out even knowing I was eating eggs. I can see many uses for these pancakes which are made from eggs and cream cheese and cinnamon stevia. Leaving out the cinnamon and stevia this could be used as a tortilla for meat taco or maybe a pizza crust or as the bread part of a sandwich. Hard to believe some thing so good only had 2 carbs. I hope because it visually looked like a pancake my brain did not take it as sweet. LOL
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    This morning I made the Atkins pancakes with cream cheese and egg and it solved a way to get two eggs down with out even knowing I was eating eggs. I can see many uses for these pancakes which are made from eggs and cream cheese and cinnamon stevia. Leaving out the cinnamon and stevia this could be used as a tortilla for meat taco or maybe a pizza crust or as the bread part of a sandwich. Hard to believe some thing so good only had 2 carbs. I hope because it visually looked like a pancake my brain did not take it as sweet. LOL

Have you seen these? http://fluffychixcook.com/basic-psylli-wraps-low-carb-gluten-free/
    I use them all the time for tacos etc. The taste isn't quite the same as flour, but the texture is pretty good and they hold together really well so your taco doesn't disintegrate in your hands.
    I've also seen caulifower based ones ( http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/05/05/cauliflower-tortillas/ ) but I haven't tried them yet.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Yum looks great. Thank you!
  • Ericdanielkwong
    Ericdanielkwong Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    photo_kyla wrote: »

Have you seen these? http://fluffychixcook.com/basic-psylli-wraps-low-carb-gluten-free/
    I use them all the time for tacos etc. The taste isn't quite the same as flour, but the texture is pretty good and they hold together really well so your taco doesn't disintegrate in your hands.
    I've also seen caulifower based ones ( http://www.recipegirl.com/2014/05/05/cauliflower-tortillas/ ) but I haven't tried them yet.

Just wanted to share this! Its been a life saver in terms of getting good volume of food for low carb/calories. Not sure if you've heard of lavash bread, but these are huge flat wraps you can use to replace tortillas, I've even made pizzas out of them. It comes out to 100 calories for the entire square, 10protein/4fat/14carb.

http://www26.netrition.com/josephs_bakery_lavash_bread.html

There is also a Kontos brand that I found at Wegmans, it yields the same calories but has 5g less protein than the Joseph's bakery brand. I don't know what anyones calorie goals/allowances look like, but since I aim stay below 2000 calories a day at a set composition, its quite easy to fit one or two of these in if I'm in the mood. Keep it simple, get shredded!

For sweets, one of my favorites has been Artic Zero + Walden Farms + Puffed Kamut..... self explanatory B)
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. Personally, I'm in milk withdrawal. I have never bought cream in my life but seriously considering that to go with my carob, cinnamon, and ginger "coffee". It's hard to shake the "avoid fat" fears of a life-time.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great ideas. Personally, I'm in milk withdrawal. I have never bought cream in my life but seriously considering that to go with my carob, cinnamon, and ginger "coffee". It's hard to shake the "avoid fat" fears of a life-time.

Ooh! I just saw this on the "surprise carbs yikes!!!" thread:
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    When I first started keto, I was shocked about how many carbs are in milk. Now, it's one thing I don't eat and truly miss.

Who needs milk when you have cream? :wink:

Seriously, though, if you want milk, pick up (or make) unsweetened almond milk and do about 2 parts almond milk and 1 part cream. Bam! Rich, creamy milk drink, with only about 2-3g of carbs. Add some cocoa powder and a drop or two of liquid stevia and you have an awesome chocolate milk (may need to use a blender to get the cocoa to mix, though).

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tried cocoroons today.. lemon pie.. It was good.. and filling and lemony sweetness
  • Lei9785gha
    Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know for me, I crave cheesy snacking things ( I probably should have owned stock in Cheetos and Smartfood).
    I tried one of the no-carb cheetos recipes out there and it was basically an unsweetened meringue with tiny shreds of cheddar folded in. I just couldn't get past the texture. I do like these low-carb "goldfish" crackers that I found ( http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipe-better-goldfish/ ) so maybe the answer is to make them in stick form.

Quest bars
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Ooh! I just saw this on the "surprise carbs yikes!!!" thread:
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    When I first started keto, I was shocked about how many carbs are in milk. Now, it's one thing I don't eat and truly miss.

Who needs milk when you have cream? :wink:

Seriously, though, if you want milk, pick up (or make) unsweetened almond milk and do about 2 parts almond milk and 1 part cream. Bam! Rich, creamy milk drink, with only about 2-3g of carbs. Add some cocoa powder and a drop or two of liquid stevia and you have an awesome chocolate milk (may need to use a blender to get the cocoa to mix, though).

[/quote

I'll try it. Thanks
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have specific suggestions for keeping it super cheap?? Feeling the budget crunch at the moment.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Eggs. That is my "go to" protein.
  • petr8888
    petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Historiclly my high carb craving was dark chocolate with chillies. I haev been on LCHF for a couple of weeks and I am waiting for the diet to start feeling one. I blew up of Friday and Saturday as I went out for dinner with friends. But the protein / fat combo is working very much re curbing my snack impulse.