NSV: Non Scale Victories!

Options

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Completed a 5km run with 12 obstacles yesterday, what an amazing run it was. I was able to do every obstacle. I was even able to get over the 8' &10' walls, which is quite a feat when you are only 4'11"! My flexibility and strength is better overall and my upper body is much stronger. Once I was able to get my hand on the top of the wall, I was able to pull up enough to get my chest on the edge and then raise the rest of the way. I could not have done that last summer.
    It was so empowering and confidence went sky high. It was a great way to start the 2015 run season.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    Completed a 5km run with 12 obstacles yesterday, what an amazing run it was. I was able to do every obstacle. I was even able to get over the 8' &10' walls, which is quite a feat when you are only 4'11"! My flexibility and strength is better overall and my upper body is much stronger. Once I was able to get my hand on the top of the wall, I was able to pull up enough to get my chest on the edge and then raise the rest of the way. I could not have done that last summer.
    It was so empowering and confidence went sky high. It was a great way to start the 2015 run season.

That's awesome!

What run did you do? I'm signed up for the Rugged Maniac in September. I'm really nervous about it. I've done several 5ks, but never done one with obstacles.
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    In the course of my long journey, I have shrunk quite a bit...I started out as a size 18...and just this last week, I bought new pants in.....a SIZE 4!! I have NEVER been that size in my life. Even at my lowest and most fit weight in high school, I was a size 8. I call that a huge NSV!!

That's amazing!! It must feel so good!
  • Kenda2427
    Options
    What run did you do? I'm signed up for the Rugged Maniac in September. I'm really nervous about it. I've done several 5ks, but never done one with obstacles.[/quote]

I did a local one called Winter Warrior. I am signed up for Mud Hero in August, Foam Fest in June and just waiting for registration to open for Spartan. I did my first one last fall and loved it. I love it far more than the 5k road races. The obstacles make it so fun and tough at the same time so you really feel strong and empowered as you conquer each obstacle and then when you cross that finish line you feel so great. Its great and the people are good and almost always willing to give a hand to help you with an obstacle. Hope you have a great time. Don't be nervous, go and a have a great time, work on upper body strength it will help you immensely with getting over obstacles.

• danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    You ladies are doing fabulous!!!!
    Kenda I'm so proud of you!!!!! You're such a big inspiration!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I completed my half marathon on Saturday, and felt pretty good despite being undertrained. Kept it slow as planned and now I'm excited to continue training for and actually try to achieve a PR in a half I have coming up on April 25.
  • SingRunTing
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I completed my half marathon on Saturday, and felt pretty good despite being undertrained. Kept it slow as planned and now I'm excited to continue training for and actually try to achieve a PR in a half I have coming up on April 25.

Awesome job! I can't imagine running 13 miles!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    NSV: Yesterday, we attended baby dedication. Three people (I hadn’t seen in a long time) said they didn’t recognize me!

One person asked someone who I was. Another indicated they could now see a physical resemblance to my younger nephews and that “it looked like I belonged in the group” (one of those funny compliments) and finally - the usual surprised look and question - “what did you do?”

It can be awkward in those situations when surrounded by dozens of family members and friends. There are those doing their own weight-battle (some with success and others with failures). I don’t want anyone to feel uncomfortable, so I pretty much just say “thank you” and only answer direct questions. But - it was nice to hear.
  • Kenda2427
    Options

Good for you, I'd like to get to 10k sometime, can't even imagine a half marathon. You rock!
  • Kenda2427
    Options
    Good job NikonPal, its nice when people recognize your accomplishments
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »

You are amazing...(8' &10' walls, which is quite a feat when you are only 4'11")
  • NikonPal
    Options

Great accomplishment. The farthest I ever ran in a road race was a hilly 10 miles "once" just to say I did it - and that was decades ago. Kudo's to you! I know how hard that is.
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was getting a little discouraged that I've really only lost about a lb in the last month for a total of about 5-8 lbs lost over the last two months....but yesterday my pants literally would not stay up and I had to go buy a new pair.

I have lost two pants sizes (from a 14 to a 10) in the last two months. Win!
  • Kenda2427
    Options
    5-8 lbs in two months is nothing to scoff at, but I understand the frustration when you just want the scale to move down and it doesn't. But your clothing is telling another story and that is a key benchmark to use. Losing 2 pant sizes is a big deal. Congratulations, keep up the great work!
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It just goes to show you how strength training can really change how your body looks. The last time I wore this pant size I weighed about 50 lbs less.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    My Spartan Sprint Finisher t-shirt (in a M) is now loose on me (used to be snug) don't know if its because I lost weight or it got stretched in the laundry...mix of both...but still happy :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    My Spartan Sprint Finisher t-shirt (in a M) is now loose on me (used to be snug) don't know if its because I lost weight or it got stretched in the laundry...mix of both...but still happy :)

That's awesome!! It is always nice when unexpected stuff happens like that. :)
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    krp97 wrote: »
    I did 295lbs on the leg press today! GRRR!!!! (trying to build some muscles and rev up my depressingly slow metabolism lol)

That is awesome!!! Way to go! How long has it taken you to build up to that if I may ask?

about a month of consistent lifting. But keep in mind that i've lost about 80lbs of *kitten* so the weight seems fairly light in comparison (on a leg press you don't have to lift your body weight too). In fact, I'm up to 420lbs now. When I get to 500 I'm getting myself a present. probably some tylenol and an ice pack lol oh leg day how I love and hate thee
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    NSV of the day: I had to buy new "inspiration" pants to hang on my closet door. The 16's that I had up there (which wouldn't button even if I laid down) are now in my regular wardrobe rotation! Now there is a pair of clearance 14's in their place. I can wiggle them on (progress!) But they actually hurt and make me look like a busted can of biscuits. I'll try them on again in a month or two.