June Chat Page

Options
124»

Replies

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Happy summer......finally sunshine days for walking outside...this weather truly motivates me :glasses:

I totally agree with you...I love the nice weather. Took a walk with my 7 yr old GD yesterday and loved it! Then the rain came and it's still raining today. I guess we need that too, though, right? Enjoy the summer weather.:flowerforyou:
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm also liking the garden talk. Keep it up and hopefully it will inspire me to give it another try, My experiment with tomatoes came to a disastrous end when squirrels ravaged them (taking one or more bites from all the fruit).

Weather in Georgia has been lovely, an extended wet spring into a mild, moist summer. Great for walks and I plan to do my first outdoor swimming of the year later this afternoon.

Here's a pic from our recent Boston and Maine vacation. It's in the Plough and Stars on Mass. Ave halfway between Central and Harvard Squares in Cambridge. In a city of great Irish bars, this one is legendary.
    plough.jpg
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    Kinda quiet in here, guess everyone is stunned by the light shining off of old baldy in the photo. ;^ )

My weekend this week was Sunday and Monday, both beautiful days here in Georgia and I did make it to the pool. Sadly, I couldn't do much swimming (no stamina in my arms and shoulders), but did some lap walking and absorbed some of the careless energy from the kids. My wife started her MFP diary in earnest so I celebrated by cooking a couple of healthy dinners for us (since neither of us cook often this was a big step).
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Kinda quiet in here, guess everyone is stunned by the light shining off of old baldy in the photo. ;^ )

My weekend this week was Sunday and Monday, both beautiful days here in Georgia and I did make it to the pool. Sadly, I couldn't do much swimming (no stamina in my arms and shoulders), but did some lap walking and absorbed some of the careless energy from the kids. My wife started her MFP diary in earnest so I celebrated by cooking a couple of healthy dinners for us (since neither of us cook often this was a big step).

LOL Joe, I think that is a wonderful picture of you. So is your wife going to join us in here? Hope so. That was so nice of you to cook dinner for the 2 of you. Lucky girl she is.

Glad you made it to the pool, at least you did what you could. I know so many who would not even do that. So kudos to you.

Have a good week.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Haven't made it to our pool yet, did some swimming when we were in Baton Rouge taking care of grandkids. They have a beautiful pool right in their backyard and the kids love swimming and playing in the water. Haven't gotten into any exercise since we got home.

I know how it goes with the not cooking thing. I do try to cook once or twice a week and so does my husband. Since he eats healthier than I do (usually), it's always better when he cooks (LOL) It's hard to think what to make every day for lunch and dinner and that's our challenge. But it sure is healthier and less expensive. So I think you did a wonderful thing by cooking for you and your wife.

Is your wife going to join this group? I think it would be a great place for her to get encourage and support. And I think it's wonderful that you're both going on this journey together.

The picture of you is great! It's always nice to get a better idea of what our pals look like.
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    I hope to get my wife to join us here, it's a very supportive group. Although she is only 54 (a mere babe!), 6 years ago she had a sudden onset of degenerative joint disease which lead to 6 operations in the next 4 years (3 spine, both shoulders and a knee replacement). During this time she also developed fibromyalgia. So she qualifies as a honorary 60.

I love the water and as a kid spent much of my summers swimming. The endless summers of youth certainly seem golden now. My goal is to create more of those golden memories.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I hope to get my wife to join us here, it's a very supportive group. Although she is only 54 (a mere babe!), 6 years ago she had a sudden onset of degenerative joint disease which lead to 6 operations in the next 4 years (3 spine, both shoulders and a knee replacement). During this time she also developed fibromyalgia. So she qualifies as a honorary 60.

I love the water and as a kid spent much of my summers swimming. The endless summers of youth certainly seem golden now. My goal is to create more of those golden memories.

Oh my gosh, Joe, your poor wife. Can you tell me if the spine surgery was a fusion? I am facing that myself here in the near future and really am looking for anyone who has had it done who can tell me what to expect. I can so relate to her, as it sounds like she and I have so many of the same problems, although I have not had surgery on shoulders, thank goodness. Did have a knee replaced though. And if she would like to join our group, she is more than welcome too! Just send her an invite or if you would like I will send it, just let me know her name on here.
  • gramanana
    Options

I love that you're so supportive of your wife; supportive spouses are a great help as we all go through the various challenges of aging. I also love that you want to start creating new, fun memories. That's an excellent goal!
  • gramanana
    Options
    I love the birds, both large and small. I have been watching the baby birds--sparrows and red bellies, so far--being fed by their parents; it's so cute to see those little wings flapping. An a great blue heron has visited the pond across the road for the last 2 mornings. It's wonderful! Oh yea, the sun is out today, too. :happy:
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly all for sitting here, bird watching. They baby mallards are cute as they peep after Mom. But the baby grebes are the best of all, hear them before you see them. I love the way they instantly shut up whenever Mom dives below the surface. They sure spot her coming up faster than I do.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Joe...I have a couple of cds of those acoustic gigs...Devils and Dust in Tokyo...wonderful...... Drive All Night!!!!!!!

Loving all the chats this month - music and gardening - food and fun.....all great BUT

Where has the month gone.....I can't believe it will be July tomorrow and I have just two weeks before I have dental surgery! Might limit my eating for a few weeks! Soup nd wine diet methinks!:bigsmile:

Jean
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Options
    I have just two weeks before I have dental surgery! Might limit my eating for a few weeks!
    I think I'd be stocking up on those Skinny Cow ice cream bars ;>)
  • gramanana
    Options
    jeanrob--I think I like the soup and wine menu!
  • NeenAtlanta
    NeenAtlanta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @ _Liz_M – Hello to New Zealand! My brother and two nieces live in Wellington. I visited him with my mother last year and really enjoyed your country. Since my Mom has very limited mobility, I didn’t get to go to all of the places I would have liked, but I’m hoping to get back there someday soon and make it to the south island.

@Joe_Atlanta – I may not play an instrument, but you forgot to tell them that I am a professional audience. Lol.

Live music energizes me like nothing else – lucky I married a musician!

@CaliforniaGirl – Yes, my surgeries included three fusions. I’m now fused all the way from C2 to T1, which limits my motion quite a bit. Fusion surgery doesn’t take all of the pain away, unfortunately. But I had reached the point where I couldn’t stand the pain, so the surgery was pretty much my only option. Only you can tell if you should have the surgery – it really depends on whether you can stand your current pain.

@Gramanana – I feel extremely lucky to have such a supportive husband in Joe. He has been my rock and my sanity, as well as the love of my life!