Water Cooler Chat

Options
12346»

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I was awarded my Black/Brown belt last (First Gup/last step before Black) I have technically been this rank for a while but the belt came in the wrong size TWICE so I had to wait to test. It was BRUTAL and I feel every minute of it today but I made it through and feel great about it. I am scheduled to Black belt test in August, (like I said I have been this rank for a long time). I KNOW I need to work on my Cardio!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

Cardio is one of the things I sorely underestimated on my last test - it's one of the reasons it took me 3 tries to get that belt, I'm sure... I've been working to remedy that situation now for the last few months, with some significant progress....

Train hard, test easy.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @trackercasey76 !!

They just announced the dates for my school's in-house tournament. I'm planning to compete in forms - and hope that I can have the form I am learning now in good enough shape to compete since apparently I am now the lowest belt in the Intermediate category. The fees add up quickly (it's really a fundraiser for the school) but I may also compete in the Moves category.

I'm really hoping that we get good news at my son's 8-week follow-up appointment for his toe in early May so that he has time to get back into full training and better shape before the tournament since he really wants to compete.

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Outstanding! I may be returning to competition this year too - haven't decided yet. There is a tournament this fall that I've been invited to - waiting to get the details. If it looks good, will be kicking training into high gear - especially if they have a senior black belt division.

Crossing my fingers for your son! I hope his toe is all healed up!
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    oh I love chatting with other martial artists! My students and I are training for a tournament this weekend in Omaha. Looking forward to kicking some butt and bringing home some trophies!
  • Arianera
    Options
    Good luck to you and your students @c_leeee! Glad you joined us. Since you seem to be new, I'd love a quick intro to what you are studying and teaching.

Ari, currently studying Chinese Kempo along with her 11 year old son
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @c_leeee Good luck in your tournament!
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Well done @ trackercasey76!

I'm currently training for my grading which will be it sounds the same as you, the one before my black (starts to shake )! I'm hoping to test for my black probably Oct/Nov, I've been different grades of brown belt now for about 18 months, but I'm so glad I've been patient as I want to be sure I'm ready!!!
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been MIA for a bit. My youngest son (in the white gi; 6yrs old) just did his first brazilian jiu jitsu tournament. Of course I'm way proud of him and wanted to share his 1st match, which was a win for him. He went on to take bronze in his division.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm92Jg9-IBA
  • Arianera
    Options
    @rayfu75 I hope your son had fun. Congrats to him on his success.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @rayfu75 Awesome - thanks for sharing the video!
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @rayfu75 - you must be very proud! That's fab
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Proud as can be. The night before he was in tears and didn't want to compete. Tuesday on the way to practice he said he wants to do all the tournaments lol.
  • lmp379
    lmp379 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The kids at the dojo competed in a local "open" tournament over the weekend. They all had lots of fun. I was a judge for the teenagers and adults, it was great to see so many people out to try a tournament and support a good cause, the local Easter Seals.
  • Arianera
    Options
    My son with the broken toe has been cleared for all activities EXCEPT those that have him stubbing his toe with force. So jumping jacks - OK, kicking a pad - OK. Mountain climbers, burpees - not yet - check again in 6 weeks. But his overall fitness, which was low to start, is now non-existent and he has a lot of work to do to regain it. He was resisting going back to Karate until he can participate with no limitations, but I convinced him that we could work on some different things until he is back at full speed because he can't participate in the in-house tournament unless he is an enrolled student.

I hope we can get him through this slump and he will regain his interest, as right now I think he is at great risk of deciding other activities are more interesting/important when he gets to middle school next year.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Glad he's on the mend! Jump rope could be good too for working on fitness - also strength exercises such as squats, leg lifts, situps, pullups and modified pushups - put the injured foot on top of the good foot - crossed at the ankles (aka 1-foot pushups).. if he isn't up to that yet, he could do them from his knees.

Lots of things he can be doing to improve fitness without risking the toe.
  • Arianera
    Options
    Yesterday was fun.

I'm off on another jaunt for work. A distant cousin of mine runs a small Kyukoshin dojo about half an hour away from where I am staying. I had a free evening, so I asked if I could train with them.

I don't know if he stuck to basics that overlap for my benefit, but I'm surprised by how well I kept up and especially that I almost had the fitness for a class that is much more vigorous and twice as long as my current Kempo classes. But I'm already feeling it this morning and it will be interesting to see how sore I am this afternoon when it is time to drive home.
  • redrobot5050
    redrobot5050 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey, sorry for an abrupt topic change, but does anyone who trains MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing do anything like this for their ab workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqjqmgxB_c
    It looks like fun and something I would do regularly, which beats how often I train abs.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do "garangolos" (horrible attempt at phonetically spelling a Portuguese term for perhaps 'keeping open guard and rotating using rocking motion & elbows so that you keep feet & knees towards a laterally moving, standing opponent'), wrestling sit-outs, and "hip ups into triangle set-ups" as functional fitness core exercises. Like them much better than sit-ups & crunches.

Another great one, but requires a partner, is "arm-bar from closed guard, alternating sides." High reps of that drill becomes a smoker.