Options
    4 miles of hill repeats

Strava link

I did better than I thought I would!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    poke987 wrote: »
    What I had read about the roller was maybe more for the hip, which in turn helped with the IT? I'd read some hip stretching and exercise helps. What's your opinion on that?

Ah, they certainly should help in that case. Also just generally good value to abuse the muscles with the roller.

Single leg squats, hungarian deadlifts and the like help a lot with stability and improving strength. Similarly Glute Bridges.
    Do you think it matters that I always run hills? We live on the side of a hill, either way I run I end up going up and down the whole way. I personally feel, this combined with the grade of the road is what's causing the most difficulty

Shouldn't make any real difference, although clearly hill running is slower with much shorter paces. Hills are good for the quads as well. By grade do you mean camber? That might make a difference as you end up unbalanced.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Just did my 15Km midweek long run. Quite hard work as I'm a bit underfuelled, and I think a bit dehydrated.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Training schedule called for 5k today.
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips every one! I suspect tomorrow will be mostly shoveling out, and no formal exercise, as we are in the 2+ foot zone, and my 5 yr old spent the snow day throwing up! My fitbit daily average is well over 17, 000 steps... I'm not even to 7000 today. Sigh.

Most of the roads are crowned. Higher in the center, and sloped to the edges. So, unless I run on the shoulder my inside leg is higher slightly. I can't stand the treadmill, despise it really. So must do my running outdoors. I could drive someplace to run, but that sort of defeats part of the joy of running for me. I like that I just open my door and go. No time wasted in the car. One route is really bad, the crown is quite high, and I can almost guarantee knee pain when I go that loop. It was the hill where I first experienced the problem in fact.

Shouldn't make any real difference, although clearly hill running is slower with much shorter paces. Hills are good for the quads as well. By grade do you mean camber? That might make a difference as you end up unbalanced.

[/quote]

• FireStorm1972
    Options
    My knees got extremely sore when on roads like that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    It sounds like the camber might be contributing as well. That would translate into an unbalanced gait.

I'm the same, loathe the dreadmill.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    10k run tonight, under an hour, not to shabby for an "old" guy.
  • poke987
    Options
    After a morning of shoveling, I did 60 mins on the elliptical. I'd do just about anything to avoid the treadmill. So, no running... 30 inches of snow... hopefully enough road will be showing tomorrow afternoon to get some miles in as another storm rolls thru Friday!
  • poke987
    Options
    10k run tonight, under an hour, not to shabby for an "old" guy.

That's great in my book!
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    I've come to embrace the treadmill :D If I didn't I would be running in the winter. I find it helps with the speed work.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    5 miles-51:47. Had to take a couple of walking breaks on a particularly tough hill, but overall a good run! Cold front is on its way through now, so I may be back in the gym tomorrow.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went out for a 3.5 mile run in the cold yesterday. Going to try do my long runs at the weekend, so it isn't always night time.
    Everyone seems to be doing really well, congratulations!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    poke987 wrote: »
    After a morning of shoveling, I did 60 mins on the elliptical. I'd do just about anything to avoid the treadmill.

I'm not entirely convinced that's a more attractive choice :)

For cross training I cycle or do bodyweight resistance work. Quite enjoy swimming as well.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    I gotta get into swimming for cross training.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I have tried running on a treadmill several times. The last time, I made it 2 miles, but when I finished, I felt dizzy. Thankfully my gym has an indoor track (14 mind-numbing laps per mile, but still better than a treadmill.)

I really consider myself a cyclist who also runs. I love riding my bicycle! Been meaning to learn how to swim laps, so I could a triathlon, but haven't fit that in my schedule (or budget) yet.
  • poke987
    Options
    Somehow the elliptical isn't nearly as bad as the treadmill for me. I swim occasionally, but with lessons and swim teams using the pool most evenings I doesn't fit my schedule as well. We still have no pavement, messaged a girlfriend, hopefully she will go with me... not looking forward to another gym workout. Boo. And more snow tomorrow, and again monday. Maybe I'll have to suck it up, and hit the treadmill. It makes me want to cry....
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    5k tonight, weights tomorrow and another 20k+ on Saturday 8)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I got off work too late to run outside yesterday, so I put in my 4 miles at the gym- 56 laps in 38:32. Hoping the weather will cooperate for an 8 mile run outside tomorrow.
  • poke987
    Options
    You all are amazing!

3 miserable miles on the treadmill this morning. We won't have pavement for some time, I'm guessing... going north for the weekend on the snowmobiles, so not sure what chance I'll have to run. I'll try, but not sure I'll have time or opportunity- I'm sure the roads are no better at the cabin.