Weekly Post 25/01/15 - 31/01/15

Options

Replies

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Fast day 2 of the week. Doing well. I have 160 calorie almond milk yogurt, and will eat the rest of my calories for dinner! I've meant to get to the gym all week, but headaches keep getting me. Just diagnosed Hypothyroid and seeing a doctor next week.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Counted my cals after the fact today. A bit over, as I had no exercise today. On the positive side...I set up my new shoe closet with the help of a friend tonight (you know, Orlcam, for all of those nice boots I have ;-) ) and cooked a thai dish with lots of veggies, some chicken and glas noodles for my helper and myself. Very yummy and two extra portions in the fridge for future use.

Fast day tomorrow....veggie chili for lunch and veggie soup with a cod filet for dinner are ready for successful fast day ;-) Yes, yes, the power of positve thinking :p
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Super speedy fast day today, only 150 cals so far with milk and half veg frittata, think just a protein bar and bed! And a lovely swim where I found my rhythm quickly, negative cals!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Woo woo hit 50.2 down today.

Congratulations!!!

Thursday's fast was a success for me. It was a struggle, but ended wit 519cals, which is on the low side for me (fasted from 7pm Wednesday until 9am Friday...38hours...I think). I am extremely happy with my fasts lately, but still trying to rein in my other days.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    weirdy question for people that have been doing this for a long time: why, after two days fasting don't I wake up ravenous?
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Lulu, Don't know, but I wake up ravenous after having alot to eat the day before. So I guess it works both ways. I'm assuming it has something to do with the way carbs affect blood sugar. They tend to make me hungrier, thus I avoid them on fast days....no blood sugar spikes...less hungry the next morning...or so my theory ;-)

I am also hungrier at lunch time if I eat breakfast. Kind like waking a lion.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    First week in 7 weeks that I've gained! Ugh. Only a lb but disappointing!
  • lulu1066
    Options
    never mind bburg - big picture and all that. You'll do it. Flumi that makes sense, although it seems illogical. So the fasting days are actually making less hungry on the normal days. Very sneaky science!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    You are right lulu.. I'm a little discouraged this week as I was just diagnosed Hypothyroid. I'm afraid this weight will never go away! :(
  • lulu1066
    Options
    the magic pills will kick in after a few weeks. You'll find you have more energy and you won't want to snack as a result. You'll also other notice other weird things like your hair growing more quickly. I'm on 200mg as thyroid stopped working three years ago!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    18h40 - Fast day cals are down the hatch. Now drinking tea. If I make it to bedtime (AND I WILL!!) it was a successful fast day. According to this morning's scale reading, I shoud be in for a weighin below 58kg for the first time since the end of 2014.... I'm ready for that!

And some very big snow flakes coming down out there. Might be in for a walk, run or hike in the snow tomorrow, if we get enough.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    You are right lulu.. I'm a little discouraged this week as I was just diagnosed Hypothyroid. I'm afraid this weight will never go away! :(

Same thing happened to me at around the same time. Keep at it, fluctuations are nature with 5:2. Does let it get you down.
  • dmbjewel
    dmbjewel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Random question of the day- anyone else's butt hurt from sitting all day at work lol??? Yeah, obviously, I just need to get up, but even with reminding myself every hour to half hour I still have a sore butt. I notice a lot of people in my office have seat cushions so maybe it's the bad chairs lol.

YES! Then I bought something I found in a SkyMall catalogue called Varidesk. You put your monitor and keyboard on it, and it adjusts up and down so you can work standing or sitting. I love it!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Lulu, Don't know, but I wake up ravenous after having alot to eat the day before. So I guess it works both ways. I'm assuming it has something to do with the way carbs affect blood sugar. They tend to make me hungrier, thus I avoid them on fast days....no blood sugar spikes...less hungry the next morning...or so my theory ;-)

I am also hungrier at lunch time if I eat breakfast. Kind like waking a lion.

Someone explained it to me this way Carbes get digested to glucose and this triggers the body to secrete insuline which packs the glucose away from the blood into fat or glycogen. When there is no more to work on the excess insuline sends a message out saying "need more glucose" which is the hunger pangs. It is the insuline with nothing to do that is the hunger pang. I find no carbs on FD not a problem all day. Carbs for b'kfast and I am ravenous 4 hours later.

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lulu1066 wrote: »
    weirdy question for people that have been doing this for a long time: why, after two days fasting don't I wake up ravenous?

I have found especially in the beginning I would swing between not hungry at all and hunger pangs after my fast days. I just chalked it up to blood sugar swings after not having eaten.

• jknight001
    Options
    Week 22 - -0.2 lbs (-0.09 kg ) 01/30/2015
    Total loss as of 01/30/2015 12.6 lbs (5.72 kg)

Gained a little this week but I am remembering others who have posted saying their can be wild weight swings with 5:2 and the excessive celebration of my husband's birthday. :blush:

Just turtling along to my goal. I am the Tortoise. :smile:
  • lulu1066
    Options
    thanks for the insulin/glucose science bit peeps, and jknight, look at the big picture. your 12.6 loss is brilliant work.
  • jknight001
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lulu1066 wrote: »
    jknight, look at the big picture. your 12.6 loss is brilliant work.

:grinning:

• thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lol! Orlcam, we now know what we have to do to get you back in the thread- talk about butts and thigh-high boots lol!
    -
    I tried out a co-workers "butt cushion" yesterday afternoon and it definitely helped! No fear, Amazon has already delivered the cushion I ordered yesterday lol!

Feeling more confident 295 has officially said adios! 287.8 this morning. Next goal is to get rid of 290. I know I'll see it a few more times with my high fluctuations, but that's what makes it exciting- hoping it's the last time :)
  • flumi_f
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @bburg86 -I've heard of people losing slowly but steadily on 5:2 with thyroid problems. Don't be too discouraged! Is there a possibility, that carrying less weight will have a positive effect on your thyroid? Focus on the other health effects 5:2 can have. I have friends, who were in constant pain before, when fasting regularly, their pain goes away. Same with headaches, skin problems etc. This can be about much more than just weight loss. (I know that is the main reason for most and that is absolutely OK)

@thecarbmonster - at this rate, you will be able to get rid of that cushion soon! My feet don't hurt in the evening anymore, since I've lost my extra weight! Awesome week for you! I can see the smile on your face all the way over here. Enjoy! I see the 280 mark disappearing in your near future....

@jknight001 - that happens. Don't worry about it, just stick with your running system. Alot of it is water retention from the festivites. You might be in for a bigger loss next week.