Weekly Post 15/02-21/02/15

Options

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @iwannabeonthebeach. Don't stress about it. Make the diet work for you, not the other way around. Planning is good, but sometimes life happens. The only way to make dieting work is to build it into your life :) See it as your new hobby, lol.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Skip the second fast if it does not fit in. You could just skip breakfast all week,doing 16:8 to save some cals.

In the end skipping a fast is not a big deal in the long term scheme of 5:2
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, new I'd get some positive vibes on here! I won't stress it, Friday is looking like its going to be a busy day anyway so no time to boredom eat! :smile:
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Completed fd yesterday...only 90 calories above. Figured out how I can get thru it...sleep! Got up at 8am-went to bed at 9pm.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! Sorry I am so quiet over the weekends! I am not on on the weekends. I take off to spend time with my family. Back to work today. I skipped my Monday fast because I was home and it's just too hard. Back to work today and fasting. Looking forward to it. I ate too much crap this weekend with the Hubs for valentines day. I've been off my thyroid meds for a few days because I was having a bad side effect. I can already feel my headaches coming back! Boo. Doctor wants me to take a week off completely then start 25mcg every other day.

I also need to get on the AIP diet for awhile since I have hashimoto's and sugar, grains, soy, and diary usually make me feel terrible!

Have a good day everyone!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    jknight001 wrote: »
    So, I have finally figured out why I have had weight issues my whole life. I hadn't been drinking enough wine! :smiley:

This Happy Hour Fave Could Shrink Fat Cells

I know you somewhat jokingly posted the above.

I'm really sorry to burst your bubble...but...since alcohol is interpreted as a toxin to the body, it goes straight to the liver for processing...it also means that as long as there is alcohol in your system, your body is in effect busy, so no stored fat burn meanwhile. It just means you miss out on fat burning if in moderation, FYI. High to abuse level of drinking is a whole other issue.

Yes, @foamroller, this was totally said tongue in cheek. And thank you for the info. Many times these health articles only give half the story.
  • jknight001
    Options
    DS had the day off of school yesterday in honor of President's day. My usual Monday fast will start today (Tuesday). Been doing one meal a day but I have seen myself be more tired than usual over the past couple of weeks and wondered if it has to do with only eating once a day on FDs. Loved eating a normal 500 cal dinner but when one has an active child, energy is more precious than gold. Just musing...

Have a good day everyone!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    One meal doesn't work well for me either. I do a split 150-200 lunch and 300-350 for dinner. Maybe a small meal in the afternoon would help you, without cutting your dinner cals too much.
  • jknight001
    Options
    @flumi_f - yeah, I am going to do it one more week (the other reason could be not getting enough sleep), and if I am still draggy I will try a little "snack" earlier in the day out of my FD cals.
  • Foamroller
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @jknight. Ty, I was a bit worried I offended you. I'm brutally honest and have sometimes lacked the social grace of not understanding that people sometimes get hurt by honesty.

Re small meals. Have you tried those Instant Miso soup packets? They are like a bouillon cube, but with bits of tofu and seaweed. 33 kcal per packet, I often do two when peckish...or a big piece of kohlrabi. Yellow turnip is 27 kcal/100 gram and only 2 carbs !

When temptation is just around the corner, I need to have some fast, but better subtitutes!
  • jknight001
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    @jknight. Ty, I was a bit worried I offended you. I'm brutally honest and have sometimes lacked the social grace of not understanding that people sometimes get hurt by honesty.

Re small meals. Have you tried those Instant Miso soup packets? They are like a bouillon cube, but with bits of tofu and seaweed. 33 kcal per packet, I often do two when peckish...or a big piece of kohlrabi. Yellow turnip is 27 kcal/100 gram and only 2 carbs !

When temptation is just around the corner, I need to have some fast, but better subtitutes!

No worries about offending me. I get you. I too, in the interest of caring for others, have been too brutally honest. Just ask my husband. :wink:

I was glad it opened up a discussion on how alcohol effects the body. That was part of my tongue in cheek. I was thinking, yes, maybe alcohol shrinks fat cells but a glass of red wine is approx 125 calories so one cannot just drink and drink and expect to lose weight. This is my neophyte view on the topic. As you pointed out, there is even more to it than that. Again, that is the downside to what floats around in the internet.

In regards to the one meal, I find temptation is not so much a problem but energy level is. I want to make sure it is not due to some late nights before I make some changes.

When I think of Miso and bullion, i think high sodium. Do you watch your sodium levels as well?
  • Foamroller
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @jknight. I think that it's all about choices. Some prefer to lose weight very slowly, so they can eat almost at TDEE. And that is a perfectly good choice, if that's their goal. If that is what makes it easier to adherence, no problem! We all have to be tolerant towards each other that our goals may differ and so the methods too :) Information and knowledge is a good basis to make those choices.

Re salt. Nope, not tracking salt. I'm salt lover! And on low carb you need MORE salt, not less. In practice that goes for many FD too. Intense working out needs replenishing with salt too. Without salt you get colder, dizzy and more headaches, some report. And there's NO reason to be afraid of salt (within reasonable limits). Salt is NOT the reason why people get cardiac arrest and artery problems. I believe Omega 6, inflammation and too much calcium are probably the real culprits. Some day I'll post a thread with links to the research I've done. Rambling over, good night and may the fasting gods be with all of you fasting tomorrow :)
  • jknight001
    Options
    Fast day number 2. All I can say is that I am looking forward to tomorrow. :D
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Managed a FD despite visiting a friend and baking a cake to take with me, fortunately a lower fat yoghurt cake so not too many cals wasted. Did get a bit dizzy at yoga, maybe miso before I go would be an idea, I definitely sweat alot, standing still is really hard work. Happy fasting x
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I'm in too tomorrow, jknight001. Might be up a little earlier than you...it's almost 11pm now, so off to bed.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm so grumpy today! Grumpy and emotional. All I want is to curl up with a block of chocolate and a hot milo. I think it's may be pms ing... luckily for me, we are flooded in and I have no chocolate in the house...
    Fast day tomorrow, hopefully that'll cheer me up
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Second fast day complete. 3 weeks of not losing now. Already doing 4:3. Time to take a closer look at my non-fast days.
    I didn't log all weekend as I was mad at logging and not losing. I know I need to start exercising...why won't my legs move? Grandma always said they weren't painted on.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Smart woman, your grandma. Now go use 'em ;)
  • BadgerLamb236
    BadgerLamb236 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm so grumpy today! Grumpy and emotional. All I want is to curl up with a block of chocolate and a hot milo. I think it's may be pms ing... luckily for me, we are flooded in and I have no chocolate in the house...
    Fast day tomorrow, hopefully that'll cheer me up

Hope you're feeling better today Karen. Great that you've turned being flooded in into a positive - great attitude!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Thanks @BadgerLamb236, it's still the same day here lol. But yes I'm feeling a bit better. It's still raining and the waters are rising. I think rainy weather makes me moody. Normally I'd be binging. But i don't feel like it. Maybe it's cause I have nothing bingeworthy here. But no idea think it's because I can have a sook to you fine people :)