Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Beautiful shots, @Kitnthecat !! Looks like a wonderful time that you had!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it was a fabulous trip ! I had so much fun, and the land and people are beautiful ! We met wonderful people travelling too. A truly memorable experience. Last night sleeping in my own bed, I thought I was still moving, still on the train.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures @Janice! You can see health shining off of you that I don't see in your mom or sister. That matters so much! Your food choices look awesome! Great meat choices! So sorry you had to get home and find a flood! :neutral: Definitely a bummer there! Hope it all gets fixed quickly and easily!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The pictures are great Janice! You look gorgeous and so young! Karla's right, you're glowing. Thought of you when I heard about the flood on the news. So sorry.
  • pondsbb
    pondsbb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Wonderful trip pics, Janice. Thanks for sharing.

I attended family reunion over weekend and gained 4 pounds.

I don't understand how it can take me months to lose 4, but I can gain 4 over the weekend. Sure I overate but what about all the undereating I do? Oh my.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I have scanned this thread closely hoping to see men over 50 listed as a need

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful trip! Thank you for sharing. You do just glow! A part of the world that I have wanted to see. Glad to see it through your pictures. Beautiful.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    @KittensMaster, lol ! I need a man over 50, but one under 50 will do too !
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Hello ladies. Had a bad weekend this weekend but will get back on track this week. My aunt came for coffee this morning & had serious questions about LCHF. She is doing insulin several times/day & has revamped her diet significantly in the past couple years. She has been aware of my new WOE & is amazed at how much healthier I am as opposed to same time last year. Her main argument has always been "your brain needs carbs". (Her diabetic support group pushes this theory). After explaining (again) everything I've learned here & from reading I could see the lightbulb go on. She has no interest in Keto, but LCHF is looking better & better to her. I just wanted to share how leading by example can do so much for some people. I am not diabetic so don't really understand all the meds she's on, but do know that her group was telling her that only the carbs in potatoes/pasta/bread etc were the ones she had to watch. (Hmmm....). I also lent my sister some of my LCHF books 2 wks ago, as she's interested in my weightloss. But she's still extremely resistant to cutting carbs. One person at a time, I guess.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Thanks everyone, maybe I won't be so shy now. You've all been so complementary, I'm blushing ! I get compliments from strangers on my skin, but it's probably improved more with keto. I have no idea why people are so against the way we eat. I think our health is visible. Thanks Karla for bringing my attention to it !

Kathie, my flood was in my basement due to my leaky hot water heater, still cleaning up, but I'll likely have to throw away some items, smells so musty, but I only have so much time to deal with everything. I was up late with the new hot water heater install, then had cable service guys here this am - afternoon. Got to run errands and check the garden veggies, then go to work tomorrow, yikes. But Winnipeg had a wind storm and heavy rain on the weekend, and some trees are down and some areas were flooded.

Got a chicken in the oven, been fasting since Saturday supper, to make up for the vacation. I ate more carbs than usual, so retained water, but I'm almost back down to where I was when I left last week, so that's good. Sure missed my BPC ! Time to relax for about an hour before I have to head out....sigh.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @Pondsbb, it's so easy to gain a few pounds after the struggle to get them off! The struggle is real, but after a few days of eating back on plan they should be gone.
    @Sk8Kate, I have had family members ask about this woe. It's seemed to have stuck with my older sister. She's been at it for a short while, but is hanging in there! The most common excuse is the inability to deprive themselves of the food they love. They aren't willing, it's their choice. I, too, vomited LCHF all over anyone I could corner in the beginning. Now, it's their choice, though they still ask questions. It is what it is and will be what it will be!
    @Janice, I'm glad you've learned to post pictures, and for taking us on vacation with you! We learn about ourselves when we hear others opinions about us. Glad I was able to show you something you didn't realize :smiley: I hate all of the issues that come with flooding, but happy things are proceeding! :smile:
    I'm still avoiding the scale. I am in a serious battle with my body! It wants to stay where it's at, but I don't! So far, my body is winning (still). This has been since mid June that I have been up on the scale, and still haven't deviated from LCHF (I have been at 20, or less, per day since May, and 50, or less, since mid March). That's two months above the lowest weight! But, I will win this war. Time is a big factor for me, apparently. So, here I continue to be, and will be!
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Had my mum & dad for supper last nite. New garden potatoes & carrots with roast beef. Mum was a little off with me just having beef & cheese & few carrots, but she let it go once she saw how much meat I ate. Baby steps, I guess. Wish dad would consider trying to lower his carbs, think it might do wonders for the MS pain.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Well, we flooded again at work of course, don't know why it didn't occur to me that it would happen again....silly me, it was because I was worrying about my flooded basement at home, still have stuff to chuck out. Sigh. But too busy with work and the garden to do everything at once. Picked more cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes last evening, so I'm starting two more batches of pickles this evening, hopefully my last.

But some good news. My Knight in Shining Armour at work told me today that he is giving me his office on a permanent basis, so I am happy about that. It has been so pleasant working down there with the men, thankfully in a dry corner of the basement, that I didn't want to face leaving. :) Now I don't have to.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    @Sk8Kate you will be the light for your family/friends. They are obviously watching you and don't know they are also testing it out over time. There are too many woe these days but people don't stick to it or keep the weight off. Im convinced by us continuing & not being defensive others will come & check it out after the test of time. This woe is the longest I have ever in my overweight adult life stuck to any "diet". Now 14 weeks & shed 15kg (33lb) & still focused on it.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Yes, @Kathie, we know they are always watching. It's like they expect us to abandon our efforts, like in the past. It's frustrating to think of the time lost once they do jump on board, but it's their time lost. @Janice! So sorry about the continued flooding! But am happy you are situated in a comfortable office! Your garden work sounds exhausting but I know the benefits are great! Glad you are able to get it done. I have been missing your trip updates! It was fun taking that trip with you! @suzie642, this is the longest I've gone with any woe also! Good for you! I consider it to be my wol now, for sure!

So, I went for a check up with my bariatric surgeon this week (six month post op labs...after gastric bypass done in January). I was excited to discuss this woe with the dietician and discuss the lab results with the doctor. I realize, now, the surgeons philosophy. He does surgery to force you into losing weight and pushes a regular, aerobic, exercise plan. It's like he doesn't care what you eat. As long as you exercise regularly, you will be a success, in his thinking anyway. So, other than review, he doesn't talk about specific food intake related to labs, and I never saw the dietician. Oh well. I do have to have an EGD (scope to look inside my stomach) to check for ulcers. I always feel like I have terrible reflux (this was even before LCHF) even with taking Protonix, Zantac, and Carafate daily. I will have that in a couple of weeks. I have been missing all of you! I got in to watching Parenthood on Netflix. I love the show. There is a family on there who is portrayed to have a son with Aspergers and I have seen so much of what it has been like for me. If you haven't seen it I do recommend it. That's what I've been spending my time on instead of being on mfp as much as I was. Though I have kept trolling to keep up as much as I can.
    On the LCHF front: I am continuing to test myself with different foods. I actually ate some popcorn at the movie Fri night and within a couple of hours my nose was running like crazy! So, popcorn, eliminated. I had a brunch today with a group of friends. I allowed myself some breakfast casserole, but didn't eat much since there was bacon and sausage too. I went lazy this year and signed up for doughnuts. Of course there is always leftovers, so now I've got doughnuts in the house. Good thing I'm not tempted with them though hubby and son are happy! Hope everyone is well. The scale still isn't moving for me but I feel a change in the way my clothes fit. It's enough! Will try to check in more! Hugs!!! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Hello Ladies. Just taking a breather before I start a ton of housework. Thankfully, my cucumbers are almost done in the garden. I'll make 2 more jars of dill pickles this am, and start a batch of spaghetti sauce with fresh garden tomatoes. I'll either can or freeze some jars of sauce and I'm thinking of a delicious spicy meat sauce on top of fresh zucchini noodles for supper.

I should be able to pick quite a few more tomatoes soon. I've been loving eating them spread with mayo and topped with bacon. I haven't touched the beets and carrots yet. I didn't plant many, just enough to make some borscht and pickle some beets. I put way less sugar in my pickled beets than a normal recipe. They are a treat and I'm happy to serve them at family dinners. It's funny how I look at something like beets and carrots as a sugary treat these days.

It's been muggy and hazy here. As soon as it dries up a bit I need to pull out half the garden plants that are done for the season and turn over the soil. It's such a huge garden that this is a big job. I always wanted to plant a big garden. I take such pride in the fact that I know exactly where most of my food comes from right now.....from my farmers and from my own garden or market garden.

Keep up all the good work Ladies, we are all doing great ! @Karla, I'm in another stall right now too. I'm up one pound from my pre-vacation weight. But I have been trying to get back on track with my walking too, so have had a couple of lovely walks outdoors. Yesterday, I walked for about 5 miles / 8 km or so...the longest walk I have had in years. It felt good. I used to do this route years ago, when I previously lost weight, but had not been able to walk this distance after putting the weight back on. But I have noticed that my endurance and speed is improving again. And that feels great ! I am thankful for this WOE and for this group. I feel at home in my body for the first time in a long time, and I have the peace of my commitment to ensure that I continue with my mission.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone !
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I forgot to mention! I actually tried a bit of Yoga yesterday. Pulled it up on YouTube. Wasn't able to do much, but was a start. Plus, I didn't want to get too sore. I actually enjoyed it. I've been feeling that exercise (in some regular form) will be beneficial, at this point. I am sore this morning, but it's tolerable. Will see what the day brings.

@Janice, our tomatoes turned into insect food. Hubby has never been a gardener, but tries when he feels like it. I hate that I didn't get a fresh tomato this year. It's probably for the best, anyway, since they increase fibromyalgia pain for me.
  • Sk8Kate
    Options
    Hello ladies. Just taking a quick break from yardwork. Battery died in my whippersnipper (thank goodness), so have to let it recharge. Am trying to get housework & yardwork done before I head to city to get daughter settled in this week. Should only have to stay til weekend, then she should be good. Going to look for short-haired guinea pigs for pets for her. (They will be easy to sneak into pet-free building I hope). Will try & can 1 more batch of chokecherry syrup before I leave also.
    @Janice & Karla I'm stalling also. Haven't lost anything new since wedding, just the same 2-3 lbs I put on & then lose again. I haven't been real strict, tho & have been indulging in too many treats. Want to kickstart this week, but will be a bit tough as daughter is a vegetarian & I won't cook meat at her place. Might try egg fast. Hopefully can still have BPC on it. Will check it out.
    Have a good day everybody.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    This stall, of all stalls, is a booger! I have not eaten more than five higher carb foods (strawberries, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, one time gelato) and a couple of glasses of wine twice in a month. Otherwise I have remained VLC (20 or less) and calories around 1600. I don't understand it now, but I hope to in the future once the results reveal themselves! I will continue to wait for my body to get it together. Some of it may be an inflammation in my stomach that been giving me fits for a while (am getting it tested in two weeks) though I have been taking the proper medicines for a long time (with a recent change to Protonix from Prilosec). Hope the doctor can help since I am already on medication for it and have been for years. Would be super great to break this stall! I have faith that it will! :smiley: