Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    HUGS!!! @Kitnthecat. I've just been too busy to fill out diary, read & post, etc. most of the time I have a 1 or 2 day MFP streak, lol. Glad you are all hangin' in. I am down to only 4lbs above my happiest weight but still within scream weight range. I'm workin' it slowly, but not paying a lot of attention to detail dietwise. That's OK, I'm getting there.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm behind again!
    @Jane! Precious storm trooper outfit for you coming grandchild! So excited for you! Sure wish you could see the baby bump! Hoping you see it before it's gone! :smiley:
    Rebecca, you have been missed too!!! Hope all is well for you dear!
    @Janice, goodness! I hate what you are being forced to endure at work! Wish there were an easy, stress free resolution! Btw: I do feel a business model could be created with this woe! Wish I had the money to start up, lol! Dreams are fun though!
    @canadjineh, sorry I don't recall your "name". It's good to see you here whenever you can drop in! No worries dear! Keep on truckin!

I had a wonderful week of losses (never got back to the lowest, but close) and am now back into the increases on the scale again. That's just the way it's going to be for me. It not fun! But the trend is down, so I can't complain. I do like the way I look, so that helps. I'm still very low carb. Having a vegetable a few times a week now, but am still mainly meativore! I do consider myself doing some IF too, but it's not usually planned. It's based on hunger. When I'm not hungry, I don't eat. I am seriously considering looking for a job (been ten years since I've been able to physically handle it)! Wish I could use my nursing license doing patient care, but knowing my limitations I don't feel it would be best for the patient (I don't think I could do effective CPR, and when you are in patient care this is vital) if I couldn't be fully capable. Have a sister who works at the community college where I got my first nursing degree watching out for job postings that may fit me. Will see how this goes!

My husband works at a big name oil refinery and on Sunday the area received 9 inches of rain in just under three hours! That much rain caused a "floating roof" on a gasoline blend tank to tip, releasing fumes into the air. There have been EPA tests (Environmental Protection Agency) and all have been told it's not toxic, just stinks. So yesterday, with hubby at work, I get a text that stated, "Have received an all call (means everyone on the radio) to shelter in place, we have been "gassed" Not good" then nothing else! I had learned that there had been damage to the tank and my mind kept thinking of the worst! Finally heard back that the shelter in place had been lifted, a long hour and a half later! He did have guys going home ill with bad headaches. They were also told to use their respirators if they felt like they were needed. I think they should be required not optional, but that just my opinion. The smell he brought home with him was horrible! He stripped to his underwear in the garage and went straight to the shower! Was a terribly stressful time for me! I've always been afraid of something happening since he works at such a high risk place. Thankfully this is the first time something like this has happened in 23 years!

It's October 1st y'all! Where is time going?!! Time to pull out some Halloween/fall decorations! Will see you all soon! :smiley: HUGS!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I forgot to update some things!
    Doctor says it will take time for the ulcer to heal. I'm on the medicine it takes to heal them. I may have not been as strict with taking the Carafate (coats the stomach protecting it), but have been for the past few weeks. The "lump" feeling in my throat is better so I will continue the medicine for several months to allow the healing to continue. I did get some cabbage capsules too and have just started taking them. I am hopeful to be able to discontinue all meds over time!
    My dog! I have forgotten to update on his Megaesopghagus issues! I have been making his food into frozen meatballs and feeding him a few every few hours. Is very labor intensive, but has stopped the vomiting. He is fed one at a time with them being tossed to him, to achieve the position for him to get the food into his stomach, with about thirty seconds between each. This has kept him able to absorb his nutrients. The muscle wasting is progressing. The indentations on his hind legs is worse where the muscles are atrophied, making the shaking when he walks worse (ataxia). He is still active but lays down more. We just ordered him a Cadillac type cushion for indoors. Trying to make our time with him the best for him that we can!

Thanks everybody!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Oh Karla, that sounds dangerous at your husband's workplace. No wonder you're worried ! At least your ulcer is under control and even though the weight is up again, it seems like the trend is going downwards, good to have had some movement downwards.

Thanks for your words of support @Karla and @canajineh.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @Janice I wish this work nightmare would end for you. Your battle with the lack of support & stress involved has been epic. Try to stay strong. I feel for you, hugs.
    @Karla so glad to hear your hubby is ok. That must have been so scary for you. Hopefully the ulcers will resolve soon too. Your poor puppy it's so tough when they start failing. We have a "Lurcher" (greyhound/border collie cross) who's riddled with arthritis. We bought her the fancy, extra soft cushion too. Don't know how she'll handle the cold this winter. Sign me up as a client if you go into "life-coaching" this WOE. How's your son doing?
    Had 4 combines, a grain cart, & several semis in & out of yard yesterday & now steady stream of grain trucks filling the bins today. So much for quiet country living, lol!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »

I had a little meltdown on Monday

I feel so undervalued and I have been letting it affect my well-being. I've had difficulty sleeping and my anxiety is up.

I need to take this experience and become a stronger person, even though my confidence feels pretty low. I am disappointed, but I find it hard not to take this personally.

The only positive thing I can really say is that the old Janice would have been crying every night . I do feel somewhat stronger, have not cried, but still can't stop running everything over in my mind, trying to figure it out. I need to learn how to boost my spirits up all by myself and this is the hardest thing for me to do.

This sounds horrible. I am so sorry to hear about your working conditions. Document all actions, save all nasty e-mails. For your self-esteem, start looking for a new job.

Exercise is a big boost for emotional well-being.

• Kitnthecat
    Options
    Well here I am out for my walk after work. I'm taking a break right now, sitting in my favourite garden by the lily pond, trying to unwind.

It was another stressful, busy day at work. My new office now just has a chair and a tiny bookcase that will be too small for my things. No desk, no phone, nothing. The miscommunication continues. Anger from the person who was my strongest ally is the hardest thing for me to take. I am now wondering if taking time off for stress should be something to consider. But this would be hard to prove to be work related , and we can only get one week of sick time since we are not unionized. I can't afford to lose pay or quit my job, not sure what to do. But I had another restless sleep last night getting up many times with foot cramps. I never feel rested and can never get rid of a slight headache.... Very rare for me. This is ridiculous since all I want to do is work. I have too much stress away from work since the work piles up with no one but me doing my job. I need to win the lottery tomorrow so I can quit the job I know I do well but management doesn't value. I just need a but if appreciation! Very sad.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @Kathie, I was relieved, to sat the least, that hubbys fearful time wasn't any worse. He's always said that he works "on a bomb" but have been very fortunate. Plus the company (Chevron) is great and very safety conscious. Otherwise there would be more incidents, I am sure! My son is thriving, finally. I know his Aspergers has held him back in many ways, so it's great to see him learning how to socialize. He's not making the best choices with regard to his gay lifestyle. There are way too many apps and computer sites available for any type of "hook up" He has used these many times. I pray for his safety, we have spoken to him about the dangers. He knows, but he's a horny 18 year old young man who doesn't have the ability to develop relationships normally. I it's not an excuse for him, by no means! I pray. His grades are awesome, maintaining a 3.75 gpa, so far. So college is good. He works at the college for my sister as her student worker. He has it made! Thank you for asking! He has given me many excuses to run for the cookie jar, but it hasn't happened! Sounds like things are busy in the country!

@Janice, you know they are doing this on purpose, for whatever reason they are making your working conditions bad enough that you will leave. Don't give them that satisfaction. I do agree with documentation of every threat you feel. So sorry this is so bad for you! I would begin a quiet job search too though. You never know, your next companion may work at your next job. There may be a reason for it that can't be seen right now. I hope you can find peace with it all! Hugs!

Have a great Friday all! :smiley:
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    HI! Can I join in? I am not really low carb, but as posted above more "slow carb" and like to use the South Beach approach, but also limit my calories. I have lost 110 pounds to date. The fist 90 pounds went by fairly smoothly with no carb restrictions, just CICO. Then things came to a screeching halt. I have recently turned to reducing my carbs and I think the change has helped. I am 62 (almost 63) years old, 5'3", and currently weigh 182 pounds. At this point in my weight loss journey I have come to the conclusion that it is a slow process no matter what, but on days that I am really good about keeping my carbs restricted I feel better, less bloated. Right now my macros are set at % vs grams. I am at 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat, 1,000 - 1200 calories/day. Remember that just recently I had NO carb restrictions, so this is a big change for me.

We leave on a 15 night cruise plus 4 nights land vacation one week from today. While I know that keeping anything under control on vacation is difficult I do plan to restrict my simple carbs significantly, focusing mainly on lean protein and vegetables with some fruits while we are gone. After I return home I plan to change my goals to 10% carbs, 50% protein and 40% fat as soon as I get home, even before I unpack my suitcases! I will do that for at least two weeks to "detox" from the trip. Through the holiday months I plan to lessen my restrictions and set my macros to 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat.

It is a process and everyone is different. I do think we all need to experiment to find the right balance for each of our needs and goals.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi @sunnyazgirl! You are welcome here! I'm excited for your trip! I love cruising, but haven't been in far too long! Sounds like you will hit the ground running, so to speak, when your ship lands! It's wonderful that you've made this decision for yourself. I hope the healthful benefits of being lower carb happen quickly for you too! The weight loss you've already achieved is tremendous! You deserve a huge pat on the back for managing that! I agree, we all must find the level that works for us. That's one of the many great things about this woe. It works at so many levels! Best of luck! Will be here!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. So nice we're back chatting. I missed you all.
    @ sunnyazgirl Welcome!
    @ Janice I agree with the "document everything" advice. Sad that it has come to this, but backing up your position & treatment by your coworkers is key. The fact that your summer support has switched gears is upsetting! Don't let anyone force you out. PM me anytime you want to vent/rant/cry I'm here to listen. Hugs!!!
    @ Karla my hubby works in the oil industry up here & even tho there are safety programs up the yazoo, accidents happen. It can be really frightening at times. So glad your son is doing well, dating is scary from all sides of the coin when they're that young & out on their own for the first time. I just pray my daughter keeps her wits about her & follows her instincts. We talk every night on the phone & sometimes my tongue gets quite sore from biting it, but I'm trying to let her live her own life.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome! I will hang out here a bit. I am always looking for fresh ideas to keep things interesting. :)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I've been gone a while with life and work. How is everyone?? I've been OK, slipping here and there and have been stalled a few weeks. Gonna water fast like Dan the Man suggests. I'll peep in now and then.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sk8Kate wrote: »
    We have a "Lurcher" (greyhound/border collie cross) who's riddled with arthritis. We bought her the fancy, extra soft cushion too. Don't know how she'll handle the cold this winter.

@Sk8Kate - Have you tried glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM? The vets often recommend these supplements for arthritis & stiffness and you can use the less expensive 'human' versions as they are pretty well the same except no added liver flavour (lol.) Suggested dosages: a dog that is 50-100lbs can be given a total of 1200-1500 mg of Glucosamine, 300-1200mg of Chondroitin, and 300mg of MSM each day, but split between the morning and evening.
    Worth a try to keep your pet as comfortable and functioning as possible.

Hiya, krazy, and welcome, sunny!

• KarlaYP
    Options
    @Kathie, I'm so glad your daughter is adjusting to college, away from home! Holding our tongue is hard to do, but we learn they have to find their way. We gave them the proper upbringing to make the best decisions for themselves and have to trust that, and pray (ceaselessly!)! Landon has actually talked about getting an apartment with friends that will be close to the campus of the university he plans to attend. That is a HUGE step for him. I've been scared he wouldn't ever want to leave, truly! His social life has finally blossomed. It's so nice to see him wanting to be around other people! He is going to be a zombie at the local "Trail of Terror" every weekend in October! I knew getting social would happen eventually (i hoped), it just seems like a wham-bam, here you go sort of thing. But it's good!

@krazyforyou, stalls aren't any fun, at all! I hope you get to the other side real soon! Great to see you!

It's college game day Saturday! Got some football to watch! No special eating plans for today. Just keeping on with the plan. I did try some flax seed crackers, called Flackers. They were good when used for dipping, would be bland plain, but are worth it when you need a cracker. Ordered from Amazon after a recommendation on another thread. I can say they made things move on through, so to speak, and they created gas that I haven't had in a loooong time. I do recommend them and would give them a 4 out of 5 rating. Will eat them again, but not frequently. I don't know if the septic system could take it, lol!

Have a great day/night everybody! I'm so glad to see a revival to this thread too! You all matter! Love yourself!! You deserve it! :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley: :smiley
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope things are well with each of you!

My Saturday football was terrible! None of my teams won :-( Oh well, they get to try again next week!
    I did spend the day (and it's an all day event for me) making dog food meatballs. 2b9xnfxsgemz.jpg

I have warned a few people not to think it's human food when they see them in the freezer, lol! I have a sister who would think it's something special and just pop it in her mouth. I've seen her do it, with regret, many times. She is terribly carb addicted!

Last night Landon played a zombie in the "Trail of Terror" (haunted trail that's made over $50,000.00 each year that goes towards school sports programs) that's on its tenth year. I'm so proud of him for doing this! Most of the other volunteers on the Trail are from high school (Landon wouldn't do it when he was still in high school).

You ladies, working these gardens, make me long for when I could do stuff like that, without hurting. I love your commitment! I have been wearing a pedometer the past few days, just to see where I'm starting, so I can begin to purposely move more and build that into an exercise routine that fits me. I have have learned that I take more steps than I thought! It's averaging out to be 6500 so far, which isn't bad for someone who hasn't been anywhere. I did dance to some music for fifteen minutes yesterday. I find that as long as I don't do too much with my arms, I'm okay (even when just walking, I can't allow my arms to swing too much or it will flare pain in my shoulders and neck (can you understand my aversion to exercise!?) Sometimes I have to put my hands in my pockets to prevent any swing). Anyway, I'm seeing exercise in my immediate horizon!

I haven't done any job searching, yet. Figured it's best to build my stamina and then decide what level of physical work I can do. :smiley: Have an amazing day everyone!
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. I have been reading, but not participating in, this thread. It's time to join in.

I am a 67 y retired woman. I can sympathize with work related stress. I believe that something similar had a major impact on my life. I gained a lot of weight and got seriously ill. Fortunately i was in a position to be able to retire. It took awhile to destress even after I left the workplace. I felt like the charecter in the movie "Office Space" who finally burned the building down after being harassed for a long period of time. My kids gave me a red stapler for a remembrance. Janice, is it possible to move on to something else? A hostile work environment is hard to overcome. I wish you the best in doing whatever you decide is best for you.

As far as why I'm here : I am halfway to goal and facing the hardest part for me. I am currently at the point where I have gotten stuck and discouraged in the past. I think by making a commitment to weighing, measuring, logging and sticking with my macros I may actually succeed. LCHF seems to make it a little easier for me.

I need to add some exercise. I think walking and weights (not at the same time) might help. I'm thinking about adding them next week as this week is too busy to be able to concentrate on them.

I always admire beautiful gardens. I really know nothing about making things grow. I grew up in garden-free New York City and was transplanted to the rural midwest as a 50 y adult. I never got around to gardening. The house we currently live in is surrounded by big trees and no conducive to growing veggies. we can barely get grass to grow.

Sue

• KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi Sue! Welcome! So glad you have joined us! :smiley: Working through this lull in weight loss creates strengths that you will need later too, but for now, it's great that you are working through it! I have found LCHF to be so simple (once I learned it). Being able to see success down the road is so exciting! I understand that too! Let us know how you are!

Mercy, I'm sore from dancing! I did another fifteen minutes on Sunday and can feel it now. It's almost a good soreness though, and it's not pain, so I can handle it! College football on Saturday was a bust! Sunday professional football.....I know y'all don't really care, lol!....my team finally won!!! WOO HOO! Makes my daddy happy when they win too! That makes it extra special!

I tried a protein type of peanut bar yesterday. First time I have eaten from a box since March! Anyway, am watching for any particular cravings...why? Not sure other than the test continues. I'm still trying things that I think I may like, that fit my macros, and seeing if they cause negative symptoms. But, I don't try more than one new thing a week. Plus, I have absolutely no desire to try bread or the like, at all! Since I'm still in a place where I can do this testing, I'm going to do it. Wonderful, still, to be able to completely eliminate foods that do cause negative symptoms.

Going to visit with my parents this evening. I'm considering cooking for them, since I will be there during dinner time. Then we are watching more football! They are where I got my love of sports from! Have a great day/night everybody!! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Hello old Friends and welcome new ladies !

Well, no lottery for me, so have to regroup and try to gather some strength. I've been battling headaches all weekend. My vestibular headaches have been so well under control that headaches take me by surprise these days. These headaches must be due to sleep deprivation and stress however. When I get a headache triggered by my inner ear issues, it is usually accompanied by nausea and dizziness, just like a migraine, but with extremely sudden onset, no foreshadowing like I usually get with a migraine. I thought I was going to pass out in the grocery store on Saturday, due to dizziness followed by headache, kind of opposite what usually happens. I quickly took ibuprofen and ginger gravol, was able to get home ( my biggest fear is losing control and getting sick in public ), then took more ibuprofen a couple of hours later. Still can't completely get rid of the lingering effects. It feels like the headache is lodged right behind my eyeballs almost like a sinus headache, as well as the top of my head, but since I take allergy meds my sinuses and clear, so this doesn't make sense. Maybe just exhaustion/stress? I never stop. I'm always at work, always doing something around my house or my mother's house. I really have no down time, and if I do, I am out for a walk. Even on Saturday, I still did more gardening even though I felt like collapsing. I know that I should try to achieve a better work/play balance in my life, but have always felt so responsible to hold everything together for everyone else, that I use this as an excuse to just keep working. Probably this is a result of a deep down fear of failure and rejection. LOL, but look where this has all gotten me, given the stress at work ! Today the headache is still with me, making it difficult to focus my vision, so staying home today to recover.

I put my fasting plans on hold since I didn't feel well, but sadly broke my fast with ice cream, so my tummy didn't like me yesterday ! I did eat a sensible dinner yesterday, made with almost all ingredients from my farmers or my garden. Homemade tomato sauce made from tomatoes and onions from my garden, ground beef and pork from my farmers, over spaghetti squash I grew. Butter on everything of course, but I had to buy that.

Today I am making bone broth from a section of bear vertibrae and ribs. Will this give me strength ? That's what I am hoping. Also, need to make some room in the freezer, since the bear meat and bones are taking up so much room, and my chickens are coming soon. I am a firm believer in the restorative properties of bone broth, but have never made black bear broth. I'm just doing what I'd normally do with any other bones, but have never dealt with spinal column before. I can't find any info online, but did find a couple of recipes on hunting and homesteading sites. Seems odd to me that most recipes for bear stew include beef broth instead of bear broth. Wonder what most hunters do with the bones, if not make soup ? Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but I feel best when I know exactly where my food comes from and this has given me such a sense of satisfaction and has elevated my dining experiences and brought new meaning and a connection to the land and where we all fit in.... Making soup brings me back to my roots and grounds me.

I will use the rest of the day to rest and try to get rid of my headache, maybe do some meditating. I need to transform myself by tomorrow !
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Hope everyone is well and having a great day. Sure do miss May, reading her daily posts was very uplifting for me. Saying a prayer for her and family.

Welcome to all of the new ladies. You have joined a group of strong, sweet, and resourceful women here. They have been a true blessing for me this year.

I'm trying to get it back together and get back in the groove with this WOE. I not only fell off the wagon but I believe it ran over me a few times before I realized it! Things will work out, I've just gotta get myself back on track and back to being positive.

Our houses are well under way and they are shooting for a completion date of Dec 18th. Sure would be nice to be back "home" for Christmas.

My brother's estate is almost wrapped up. That has been a true pain in the butt!! People can really be selfish sometimes. Oh well.

My Grandflowers are growing like weeds and becoming beautiful little ladies. The oldest is potty training so trips out are very interesting right now. And we have a family reunion coming up in a few weeks that I'm hoping won't throw her off to much.

Thanks to each of you for keeping the thread alive!!