Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Janice, HUGS! I hope you're feeling better!

@Rebecca! Hi!!! Thank you for the updates! Goodness, you've been through some tough stuff this year! Your strength inspires me!

I had my sorority meeting last night, at a "sister's" home, so my dinner was prepared by her. I was dreading it, even told my husband so earlier in the day. Even so, I went with the mindset to eat what I could. Sloppy Joes, coleslaw, POTATO CHIPS, and Apple crisp with ice cream for dessert. I chose some of the meat, sans bun, and coleslaw, then had a small serving of the Apple crisp dessert. Gosh, it was all so sweet! Ugh! And, she's a T2 diabetic! It just makes me sad to see this. While we're eating she keeps talking about how she needs to lose weight, which she does!! I try to guide, but the brainwashing is way too deep for some people! I'm glad we only meet twice a month!

I'm still moving more on purpose. Am really sore, but trying to work through it. There's no new pain so I will continue with the dancing and walking to increase the number of steps I take daily. I'm happy with the early results, so far! More baby steps!

On the future job front. I'm now looking to potentially use my nursing degree. Hopefully in an outpatient surgery clinic type of place that doesn't usually have high risk patients to deal with. It's similar to what I was doing at my last job, that I loved! I decided that since I am feeling so much better, why not use the degree I worked so hard for? Just have to complete a bit of continuing education hours (plus 100 dollars) to renew my license, and I'm good to go! Has put hubby into a good mood. I know that he is happy that I'm feeling so good, but I also know he will be happy to have some financial help too!

Son is rocking college! All A's, with one B, so far! He is loving it too! I'm sooooo glad he is enjoying college, since he always hated grade school. He has been asked to change to another station at the trail of terror. Instead of being a zombie he's now going to be part of the "scream" station, where he is torturing a teenage girl (she's a girl he grew up with and she's excited about it). It's been a sacrifice of clothes though. As a zombie he wore some older jeans and an old white polo shirt, from school, so, no big deal. Well, for the scream station he has to wear black pants, and a white button up shirt with black tie. We're fortunate that he has these from being in his cousins wedding a couple of years ago. But, I didn't plan on them becoming haunted trail foder. Kids! Oh well, he's having fun and that's what matters!

The weather here (south Mississippi, U.S.) has been lovely the past week. It's been in the low 60s at night and low 80s for the high. We are entering an early Fall, but it's nice to get a break from the summer heat! But, it closes up the pool for the year :neutral: Since it makes the water too cold, and the pool is too large for a heater (20' x 40'). We have been discussing the addition of a Jacuzzi though, that we could use year-round. That would be nice, I think!

I feel okay after eating the boxed protein bars. Haven't noticed any cravings. I'm purposely not eating one everyday because I don't want to create a habit with them. I still don't plan to buy anymore.

No immediate future plans. Just rolling with it here! Have an awesome Thursday everybody! :smiley:
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm feeling kind of out of kilter for the first time since starting this. I went off program on Tuesday for dinner. Got right back yesterday but somehow it seems much harder. Weighed in this am because of the biggest loser challenge and found I gained .4. I usually weigh once a week as I find it less stressful than dealing with the ups and downs of daily weigh in. I get discouraged if I see too much of a gain.

My daughter and her family are coming for a visit for the weekend. She, her husband and her two sweet little boys will be here for the homecoming football festivities. My SIL is got his undergraduate degree at the University of Florida, the team who will be playing Mizzou on Saturday. To be honest, I don't care much for sports but this is a football crazy town on autumn Saturdays. I tailgate but do no go to the games.

Tyler, our 6 year old, is a football fanatic and a gator fan. I think he'll really enjoy the game as he has never been to a big time college game, or any game, for that matter. Since this is homecoming, all the sorority and fraternity houses are decorated and there will be a big parade with bands and floats. The boys will love it.

Send me some positive thoughts. I feel like the weekend will be a challenge for my resistance muscle. I'll need all the help I can get....

Have a great day.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Finally the scales went down by 5lbs. I'll take it anyway I can get it.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @NewSue52, it's amazing how quick our bodies adapt to fat burning, then when we give it carbs again they make us feel terrible! So sorry you are going through that but glad you were able to jump back on the wagon! :smiley: Sounds like your weekend is going to be a lot of fun! If you have control of some of the food, be sure to stick with the lower carb stuff that you want. If you go out to eat at some point while they're in town, look at the menu online, if available, and decide what you want before going (this has helped me many times). There's not any place I've been where I couldn't find something to eat that's lower carb. I always insist on not having any carbs on my plate though. I will give them to hubby, or son, or just leave them off all together. I've gotten two side salads before, instead of a potato. The only type of restaurant I haven't tried is chinese/asian, but I've seen many in this group who have had very successful meals at that type. Try not to worry about things like that too much. Hang in there! You should feel better pretty quick! Hugs!

@krazyforyou, congratulations on the new weight loss! :smiley:
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, old & new. It is really nice to read thru our "chats" at the end of the day.
    @Ratsmith glad to hear your updates, too. Stay strong.
    @krazyforyou Great loss! Good for you.
    @karla so glad your son is doing so well. My girl just had to drop a class due to scheduling difficulties, so needs to pick it up later, which kinda sucks as it's all she needs for her minor, then was devoting next year to her major. Oh well, everything happens for a reason.
    @Janice stay strong hope the bear broth keeps helping.
    I've actually not been feeling too great this week. Maybe my uterus grew back, lol. Pain is quite unbearable & can't get in to Dr til Tuesday, so chomping pain killers has been the route I'm on. Hate them, but after 3 nights no sleep (3am baths), broke down & started taking them. Little relief they provide is better than nothing. Oh well, will resolve itself soon.
    Have a great weekend everyone
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am probably be repeating this on a few discussion threads, but I went to my doc. I have lost 45 lb since June, and 25 of that is fat. (She does a body scan every couple months) She told me I could stop doing glucose 2x a day. Woohoo. I doubled check about the amount of fat I can eat in my ketosis plan, and she said go for it, no restrictions other than no more than 60 carbs a day!I am doing a happy dance! <3<3:p
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hello all!
    @Kathie, sooooo sorry for your pain! Do you still have ovaries? They can be a source of pain after hysterectomy. I have endometriosis that cycles every month, causing cramps, even after a total hysterectomy! I don't have any suggestions to help the pain (wish I did), but hope this passes for you quickly!

@Batlady49, I am super happy for your results! Validation that this woe works is such a great thing! You rock!!! Keep on making the choice!! I'm happy dancing with you!

I believe I've over done it a bit with the exercise. Am having more headaches, ugh, than I was. Have trimmed back the dancing to little spurts, instead of extended times. Still watching the step count on the pedometer. Have until 9am on Saturday to have my seven day total for the week. Am going to take it a bit slower.
    I'm doing some continuing education online today so I can renew my nursing license and start looking for a job. I'm excited to see what's out there for me! I'm very excited about the fact that I will be making my own money again too! Life is really looking up for me and I have to give credit to this wonderful woe and all of my amazing Pals here!
    Hope all is well for all of you! Hugs! :smiley:
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hello!

Status update from me!! :smiley:
    I let the pain odometer count steps for a week. Total was 40,500, so roughly 5700 steps a day (more than I thought anyway). My original plan was to try to increase the daily number and go from there with increasing exercise. Well, the next day I barely got over three thousand since I was in bed with a migraine that afternoon. So, I "blew" the first day. I don't particularly like "failure" (I know it's not a true fail, I just don't care for it. So now I've decided to continue the weekly count and strive to increase that number. That I can do!

I mailed my continuing education requirements (and the $100) to reinstate my nursing license!! This is such a wonderful feeling to know I can do this! I feel too good not to work. Plus, this has gotten my husband thinking more about retirement (which I would be so happy to help contribute to his ability to do so!)!! I can make him a "kept" man, lol! I did tell him that housekeeping will be his chore, since I've kept that chore while not working! So it looks like a win for me all the way around! Especially since I like my husband too and don't mind having him around, lol!

Landons made a new friend while working at the trail. I have to trust that he isn't choosing to do anything illegal, since he was taught well. But, its so hard not to think the worst when this friend may not have the best home life and have some tattoos that look he may have gotten them in juvenile detention (I don't know that though). I really try not to judge by looks, but how can I not? This is my completely naive son! Prayer and meditation, repeat!

@Janice, Hows work? I sure hope things are getting better for you! We all need less stress in our lives!!

Hugs everybody!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    And btw: I forgot to mention that yes, I'm still stuck, but I'm still here! This really isn't why I'm here anymore though. If I don't ever lose another pound it won't matter! :smiley:
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Jumping in after spending the last few weeks reading the ENTIRE thread! What a wonderful group of ladies, but looks like things are slowing down around here. What is up, everyone?

My name is Christine, I will be 49 next month, looking forward to my year of 50 next year! I have found over the last couple of years that LCHF is the only way for me to control my weight and how I feel anymore. I have had fluctuating hormones my entire adult life - to the point that I lost 3 pregnancies, then had twins at 38 and my son a year later. :smile: I think I have only had one real period this year, so almost menopausal.

I work full time, have a technical background and am now doing business development, so travel a bit. My husband works in financial planning and is self employed, so home to help with getting kids to/from school and holds down the fort when I travel.

This August, I got up to my highest non-pregnant weight, 189, so decided I needed to buckle down with the LCHF and start working that down again. Early last year, I had been doing really well, then changed job responsibilities, didn't exercise at all, then our lovely 6 year old chocolate lab got cancer and died in a month's time this July. So unexpected and really took us all by surprise, very sad.

Now I am back on track with my eating and husband (who is very thin) is on board with it. I still get some people telling me they don't think this WOE is healthy, so trying to educate without preaching! My mom thinks it is unhealthy to not have regular dairy and to restrict veggies. I do have dairy - heavy cream and cheese - but no yogurt or milk! I won't eat corn or peas - too starchy - and have not had bread for the last 45 days. My father is diabetic, but regulates his blood sugar with insulin, not by eating an appropriate diet, and Mom is complicit in that and very overweight as well. They are trying to change, but do not believe in the science behind this, or won't take the time to educate themselves.

Coming from an Irish/Italian background where you show your love by eating large meals together, it can be difficult to get the message across that I love you, but don't want to eat that food with you, but yes, I love you!

So, enough about my background. Just plugging along and would like to get down to 150 by sometime next year so I will be comfortable running long distances and riding my bike 100 miles or more to celebrate turning 50!
  • krazyforyou
    Options
    Hi everyone, welcome newbies. Just to let you know that I am still here lurking around. Hope you are well. @Karlottap I was stuck too but a 4 day water fast broke it. @Janice I pray things get better.@Batlady congrats on such success.@May miss you. Will try to get back later this week.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm here and I'm back. I had a really off weekend - Daughter and her family (husband and two small boys) came to visit. It was great fun. That said,I just decided to go with it and not worry about my woe until Monday. What a bad decision. I am out of ketosis and must battle my way back. I don't know what the weight impact is as I decided not to weigh myself. I had to have gained but my clothes are still roomy and I still look better than a month ago. I expect to get my mojo moving again in a few days. Patience and perseverance is the name of the game.

Went to my primary care doc who was happy with how things are going. She has no problem with LCHF. Her nurse lost 100 lbs on this program. My bloodwork was better than it has been in years so she said to go for it. Nice to run into someone else who believes. I have my own theories about weight loss. I believe that each person needs to find their own way. CICO works for some, just not me.

Hope that this week is a productive one for all involved.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @christineellis, welcome dear! You made it through the entire thread! Wow! Yea, our band of ladies has thinned out over time and I sure do miss them all (May, Jane, Ellen.....), but am proud of the ones who have hung in here! So sorry about your dog. Cancer robs us of so many things we love in our lives! I'm sure you provided a loving home for a special "baby". Your traveling job must be interesting (unless it's always to the same place that is) seeing different parts of the country/world! It's so good to have spousal support with any woe. I believe we will always have the brainwashed public passing their judgement with our woe. Oh well, they will keep the drug companies in business. But yes, parents with type 2diabetes can be terribly frustrating (friends too)! I just want to shake them and tell them to wake up, but they can't see it and think I'm crazy (who's really crazy here?)! Your goal to ride that far when turning 50 is amazing! I look forward to watching your progress!

Hello @krazyforyou!! Hugs!! :smiley:

@NewSue52, glad your family's visit went well and I hope your team won! So happy you have a doctor who is supportive of this woe. Hopefully they are recommending it for others too! LCHF on! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, never fear, I'm still here. Still stressful at work, but I'm hanging in there. I'll fill you in more later. Going out for a walk, then out to meet my group of ladies for dinner, half of us in our 50's and half of us in the upper 70's, all used to work together.

Welcome new ladies !
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi gals, still around, but not on the computer much as I am helping my parents (mom w. dementia still at home with dad) and my newly moved MIL who is now closer to us in a retirement residence. Still working lots (2100-0500 shifts) and with all the extra family care stuff, now sick with a cold. A couple of days of not feeling like prepping ANY food and just eating cheese, cheddar rice cakes, and dried pineapple rings doesn't help (although no real effects either at the moment). I read to catch up on where everyone is at - keep up the good work all!! but don't post much as I don't have time to access online. At least the boss is a good one - no guilting about taking time off to get over the cold. Who wants to germ up the patrol car anyhow? Not me, and I can't drive under the influence of the only decongestants that work for me, lol. I would fall asleep at 0200 in the middle of the highway, hahaha.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hello old friends and new friends, I'm checking in after being away for what feels like a very long time. I've read most of the thread and rejoiced with those who have lost and commiserated with those who are trying hard without results. Janice, gotta say, you've generated a lot of happy dances around here--congrats on all your losses. You're looking great! Karla--you too! Such wonderful transformations! I'm feeling a whole lot better; still feeling the effects, but much better. It's been a horrific several weeks for our family with my being hospitalized; the long illness; my son's illness; the death of a dear one in our family after a long struggle with cancer. Add a puppy to the mix and it makes for a chaotic time. My eating has been so crazy. I've had so much broth and jello that I don't want to look at either one ever again. I'm working slowly into a more normal diet, but have to be very, very careful. I eat a lot of eggs and carefully adding poultry and meat. I ate soft white bread out of desperation to have something to chew, and it was one of the few things allowed. I loaded it with butter to salve my conscience. o:) Gotta get away from that bread!

Jane, I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery goes smoothly. I'll be praying for you! It's not a fun time, but I'm sure you'll do well. Being in good health from eating LCHF helps! All my best to you, dear girl!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies. Things are still stressful at work. The latest thing is that they now won't let me take my banked time. After being hit from all sides with accusations and rules that others don't have to conform to, this latest thing hasn't hit me as hard. I think I'm learning how to get tougher, and trying not to let these events hurt me so deeply. I think this will be key to my survival.

The strategy I have had to employ is to ask everything via email. Tons of emails were sent yesterday at work, trying to clarify my boss' directions which are muddled and incomplete. I know more about proper HR procedure than she does, but will throw the ball back in her court. I'm having to explain minute details about many of my tasks, to prove to her that they are complete, which is hilarious to me, since I am sure that she is not aware of most of the duties I perform. I just work. I am a hard worker and do a great job. I am not used to having to explain everything, and it is time consuming, but I will keep it up. There is no need for her to check up on me, since I keep on top of things, but if all this will help her realize the scope of my work, then it is possible that it may come to some good. I'm such an optimist, even after all the nonsense that has happened.

I have to realize that it is harmful to me if I allow myself to feel damaged by all of this. I need to learn how to take control of my emotions, and not show my fear to them. I need to learn how to display confidence, and learn how to hide my true feelings for their incompetence, unprofessionalism and cruelty.

I have now acquired some sort of virus from work, and have a dry cough, and sore throat. No doubt that I picked this up due to stress, since I just don't get sick ! Had a hard time sleeping last night due to coughing. I refuse to take medications. I will just keep taking my vitamins and drink lots of water.

Well, those of you who are my friends know that I have been enjoying my fasting. I am so proud of myself that I finally completed my first 72 hour fast ! I want to do this quarterly and will do my next one Jan 1-3. I look forward to my 48 hour fasts, so this one was very exciting. I felt good throughout, completed all my regular activities including my long walks, grocery shopping, gardening including digging and turning over soil in the garden. I felt a little light headed at the end but stuck it out.

I cooked Thanksgiving dinner on Monday, and tried to stay relatively low carb, but my carb count ended up at 100 g, which I haven't experienced in many months. Half of that was the pear cider. My tummy felt fine afterwards, but the scale went up a bit. I have all the tools I need to get back on track and will fast for 48 hrs on the weekend.

Have a great day, I've got to get to work.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I reached 101 pounds lost sincey highest weight, and now down 61 pounds from last September. I was excited for a day or so, but now back to the old grind again. Pizza day at work and they orders a wee gluten free pizza for me, but I threw out most of the crust. I do allow the odd treat, but within reason. I will make up for it by eating just meat and fat at supper and getting right back into fasting, my new feel good activity!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone old and new. Sorry I haven't been managing to post much! Frantic with the business.....why does everyone want personalised chocs just as we are going away!!!???

Rebecca...so lovely to hear from you and to know that the houses are coming along nicely! You have been through such a rough time and are coming out stronger than I can imagine!

Karla you just rock everything in the way you are moving on to such and exciting stage. Its absolutely brilliant you feel ready to go back to work after so long! I can imagine how hard it is to let your son find his way...sure he will make bad choices and mistakes but he will gain the experience he needs to start making good choices. This is an awesome year for all your family. Hows hubbys attitude now? Hopefully hes grown used to things.

Ellen it is great to hear you are on the mend! Well done in keeping your WOE upper in your mind by adding butter to everything!! Yaaaay! I adore butter!

Janice you too are amazing on so many levels! I cant believe what changes we are seeing in so many of us this year! It is truly phenominal! Not only your weightloss but your fasting, your strength in dealing with work issues, your strength is growing in so many ways! A truly inspiring story to motivate anyone!

New sue......I hate football or rugby or any sport, was surrounded by it for years with my ex and my sons! Happily hubby isnt into sports either so my weekends are bliss these days.

Krazy......agreed! We will take any drop on those pesky scales with a true happy dance! Lolol.

Batlady....that is brilliant news. Just shows how this woe can and does improve things!

Kathy sorry your daughte has had to drop a class but at least she is being sensible and not stressing too much after the summer meltdown. Has the bear disappeared or will he lurk around lookinh for food until its hibernation time??

Christine....welcome to the group! Im very impressed you read all of it! These ladies are the most amazing bunch. True inspirations in so many ways and the best support, fun and love you could ask for on this journey! Love them all.

Friday night we leave for the UK to go back so that I can have my prolapse surgery on tuesday afternoon. I have been torn between eating a higher protein diet to ensure I am well stocked for healing and fasting longer periods to try and get a bit more weight off before I go! I had a couple of good days of 20-23 hours but found I was crazily thirsty despite upping my electrolytes. I did wonder if I may have picked up a virus( and was dreading that prior to have an anaesthetic!) but nothing has materialised(yet...it might after 7 hours flying,ughhh). I had dropped another kg then yesterday took a potassium tablet as opposed to adding ton of losalt and today Im up a kg! Seems clear my electrolytes are not happy but not sure how to balance them at the moment.

Hubby is very wary of me at the moment,lol, I have told him I am determined NOT to go off plan and NOT to have a dextrose drip just because 'they' dont know/accept/understand about being keto/LC and that it is NORMAL for me!!! He knows I will stand my ground in the hospital so...hehehe. I just hope they respect my wishes! Its not as if I need the dextrose and they can easily give me saline instead as its just fluids.
    I have been getting emails from a physio in Australia for about a year with lots of info about how to deal with prolapse when exercising and pre and post op etc so I have been reading all of those again. It says no heavy lifting etc for 6 weeks or standing for long periods etc etc and ..yippeeeeeeeeeeeeee, hubby has agreed to getting a girl from one of the maid agencies in once a week to clean for me for 1 month after we get back....no ironing either!

Will try and be more regular in my posts! This group remains the best on our lovely forum! <3
  • krazyforyou
    Options