Keto Sub Groups

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
In my blog titled: Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology I list exactly what the title states. I want to put another list inside that blog called "Keto Sub Groups".

I will list some of the popular ones and then I am wanting you to tweak/edit/add/delete/comment on what I wrote below. The sub-groups are like branches on a tree. The trunk is a broad general Ketogenic diet that is not limited, but adhere to keto adaption using Low Carb, High Fat and Medium Protein nutritional intake.

Keto (the broad normal definition)
Can eat 25 to 50 grams of carbs a day. Food types are broad, with few exceptions, as long as they meet their daily macro goals. May have to use an external device such as a Ketonix or ketones meter to determine the level of carbs you can eat to get into ketosis. Everybody has a different level.

Paleo Keto
This group restricts eating highly processes foods and dairy. Prefers organic and un-refined foods. May restrict certain types calorie free sweeteners.

Carnivore Keto
This group is doesn't eat plant based food with minor exceptions such as herb seasonings. Usually extreme low carb (less than 10 grams a day). High calorie meals are ok. With this low carb regimen, you don't need any external devices to tell you that you are Keto Adapted.

Vegan Keto
This group eats no meat or dairy. May have some difficulty getting enough protein. For fat, they can obtain from coconut oils and some nut oils.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~end~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of the groups can be combined, for example, you can be a Paleo Vegan Keto, or a Paleo Carnivore Keto. But you can't be a Vegan Carnivore Keto (LOL!)

And I think there are athletes that do keto, but I am not sure what to call/define them. (please advise).

I KNOW I have left some out. Can you put yourself in one of these groups without reservation? Or do I need to add more? (probably).

I am just plain old Keto. Please tell me what group you would be in...

Thank you,

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I would fall into the carnivore keto group, obviously. I would only note that most of us consider averaging under 5g of carbs a day (and that is total carbs... There's no fiber allowed in the carnivore world) to be the goal. Ten grams... That's just a truck-load of carbs. ;-)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I would fall into the carnivore keto group, obviously. I would only note that most of us consider averaging under 5g of carbs a day (and that is total carbs... There's no fiber allowed in the carnivore world) to be the goal. Ten grams... That's just a truck-load of carbs. ;-)

I was giving you a little wiggle room for those wayward cheeses. I'll adjust it.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do sometimes go over, with cheese or eggs or seasonings... But my weekly average is rarely above 3g/day. I don't actually have a limit, in the sense that I don't even count. I do know that the main group of folks like myself define zero-carb as an artistic expression and that anything under 5g that does not include plants is considered zero.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For the most part I think I am a paleo keto type creature-- or maybe primal keto is more accurate. I have been able to tolerate a bit of dairy here and there, with coconut and other healthy fats being my main fat source. :)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    For the most part I think I am a paleo keto type creature-- or maybe primal keto is more accurate. I have been able to tolerate a bit of dairy here and there, with coconut and other healthy fats being my main fat source. :)

BB, What's the difference between Paleo & Primal?

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    A lot of the athletes fall under CKD - clyclical keto diet
    http://www.ruled.me/cyclical-ketogenic-diet-indepth-look/
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think I am plain old Keto.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    5:
    DittoDan wrote: »

Primal allows dairy, among other things.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Probably general keto... although I came here thinking I wasn't going to do keto at all, but according to your definitions, at a carb goal of 40 I'm in there. Where does Atkins fall?
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    General Keto here although my carbs are generally less then 10. But not carnivore keto since I do eat vegetables from time to time.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @Thinnerhill I think I'll change normal Keto to:

Can eat from 0 to 50 grams of carbs a day. Food types are broad, with few exceptions, as long as they meet their daily macro goals. May have to use an external device such as a Ketonix or ketones meter to determine the level of carbs you can eat to get into ketosis. Everybody has a different level.

That makes it more inclusive. Thanks for advise. :D

• DittoDan
    Options

Ok here is new proposal:

Carnivore Keto
    This group is doesn't eat plant based food with minor exceptions such as herb seasonings. Usually extreme low carb (less than 5 grams a day). High calorie meals are ok. With this low carb regimen, you don't need any external devices to tell you that you are Keto Adapted.

Thank you!

• DittoDan
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    A lot of the athletes fall under CKD - clyclical keto diet
    http://www.ruled.me/cyclical-ketogenic-diet-indepth-look/

Thank you JPW...

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet or CKD
    A complex Keto diet for advanced body builders used for maximum muscle growth. It cycles the carb intakes from low to high around an intense workout. There is also another similar workout/body building regimen called, "Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)". It is also known for eating carbs before intense workouts. Both diets are normal Keto diets when not doing workouts.

I hope this helps,

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm at basic Keto at this point, as I come to my maintenance stage I might be more of a carnivore/paleo WOE. I need to see where my veggies at with some tummy problems. All I want to do is drop all processed foods. I will add FODMAP friendly fruits and veggies. So I think there should be FODMAP category as well. Some of us just can't tolerate healthy greens :(
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Wishy-washy keto: Those of use who have every intention of staying keto but keep wandering off to the siren call of carbs so are cyclical by accident....but still plan not to be.

Oh, wait. Thst probably shouldn't be an official group.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Ok here is new proposal:

Carnivore Keto
    This group is doesn't eat plant based food with minor exceptions such as herb seasonings. Usually extreme low carb (less than 5 grams a day). High calorie meals are ok. With this low carb regimen, you don't need any external devices to tell you that you are Keto Adapted.

The works for me. Honestly, the first one wasn't really bad either. I just know that someone, somewhere, once said "5g" as a cutoff for where 0g really started. Truth be told, everyone I know who actually does it wouldn't even know if they went over it. They stopped (most of them) bothering to count animal-based carbs.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Wishy-washy keto: Those of use who have every intention of staying keto but keep wandering off to the siren call of carbs so are cyclical by accident....but still plan not to be.

Oh, wait. Thst probably shouldn't be an official group.

I don't know... maybe it should. Honestly, there's probably a lot of people who fit best there. ;)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    5:

Primal allows dairy, among other things.

Diary is the main thing, though on a "if you can tolerate it" basis. It's also more low-carb focused by default (as opposed to "standard Paleo," which isn't particularly concerned with macros.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A T2 with gout (under control), arthritis (behaving itself for now, a tendency toward bad blood lipid profile, GERD (gone since weight loss) and an inner thin person finally emerging from layers of fat, just trying to find the proper balance.

As the mystic said to the hot dog vendor, "Make me one with everything."
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some athletes follow CKD (mentioned above) while others stay low carb all the time (Volek/Phinney). I think the trend for endurance athletes is to follow Volek/Phinney (authors of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance).

The CKD crowd appears to be focused more on bodybuilding. Most of them cycle between bulking and cutting and have found carb control as the best way to control weight.

I am a competitive rower (masters age group - not national team) which is a strength-endurance sport that traditionally favors carb loading due to the demand to sprint during a race. Popular thought is that keto isn't ideal for this. However, a rower could easily race four times in a day. Keto allows for quick recovery and less drop off of speed between events. The downside seems to be that you give up top end speed. I say "seems" because it appears that the longer you stay keto the less of a drop off you see. Also, your body has about 2k of energy for sprinting. The rub seems to be how long it takes a keto athlete to replenish this energy store. They need carbs or an abundance of protein (plus time) to recover.

I personally lost over 30 pounds on keto and being lighter was a huge help in the boat. However, I have no idea if I would have been faster had the ability to carb load before races.

CKD really doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like what the Hodge Twins have been doing on YouTube. The debate between refeeding and cheat days/meals will make your head spin. I don't get cravings once I am keto and see no emotional benefit to eating carbs. Other than what I wrote above for sprint athletes, I also see no physical benefit to refeeding.

Also, I'll chime in a vote for the difference between paleo and primal. Primal is much closer to Atkins with simply a focus on eating less "processed" foods. Mark Sisson is probably the biggest Primal advocate, but I think Gary Taubes's books point people in that same direction. There seems to be a rainbow of choices with Atkins in one end and Paleo on the other - reaching the same goal with very different views on how you should source your proteins ands fats.