Keto Sub Groups

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I do know people who have gone that route. It's a bit too much for me. I do like some beef tartar and ultra-rare steaks, but that's where I draw the line. There's no raw chicken or pork in my sights. lol
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    moonius wrote: »
    Interesting article. Three reasons why zero carb is easier than low carb
    myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.com/wp/2015/02/three-reasons-zero-carb-easier-low-carb/
    I've just read the whole site - thank you Moonius, that was a great link!

Agreed. I really need to get some work done, but I was having a hard time peeling myself away from it!

The way I carry my weight, I need to weigh a lot more than she did for it to go "out" like that and not fit in roller coaster (I probably have 4-6 inches on her), but I can still relate. One of the things I really enjoy doing is horseback riding, but everyone's got a 250lb limit. It's that that has largely kept me going, even when it's seemed like a hopeless goal (my max weight was "only" about 285, and I've been between 240 and 260 for the past couple of years, but that is its own source of frustration, especially when my body's been so resistant to letting the weight go).
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can't recall if it has been posted, but I saw a Paleo Vegan cookbook at the store today (in the Produce Section of course!!)
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Dragon. I have activities I want to participate in that have a 250 weight limit too.... like ziplining. I've now reached that goal, but its still too dang cold in Michigan to even consider sliding down a wire at 15 mph!

I'd love to horseback ride again, or roller coasters, or motorcycles, or kayaks, or try rapelling again without the weight, or swim without fighting natures 'floating device'.... LOL
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    LesleyJDee wrote: »
    How about Pescatarian Keto (eats no animal flesh but fish and includes eggs & dairy) or Octo Vegetarian Keto (as above but without the fish).

Octo? Do you mean Ovo?

Maybe they only eat octopus. >_>
    Takoyaki is sadly not very keto-friendly... hehe
    Lacto-ovo vegetarian would be one who has dairy (lacto) and eggs (ovo).

-T.
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    How about Pescatarian Keto (eats no animal flesh but fish and includes eggs & dairy) or Octo Vegetarian Keto (as above but without the fish).

Octo? Do you mean Ovo?

Maybe they only eat octopus. >_>
    Takoyaki is sadly not very keto-friendly... hehe
    Lacto-ovo vegetarian would be one who has dairy (lacto) and eggs (ovo).

-T.

Octo sounds more interesting. So many possibilities...
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Octo? Do you mean Ovo?

NAH…. she means Octopus and eating eggs of fish..hahahahah
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Hmm, we're getting quite a few carnivores around these parts. I'm starting to not be "the crazy one". I might need a new shtick. :wink:

Maybe transition to being the offal guy?
  • Teneko
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Maybe transition to being the offal guy?

That's just an offal idea...
    Not sure I can stomach that. >_>

-T.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    My mother lives in a retirement village and the on-site restaurant does an 'Offal Lunch' once a month. The very thought of it turns my stomach. Though I can eat liver and kidneys, the thought of tripe and brains is too far beyond my grasp.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I made sweetbreads a while back. Those were delicious. But, I just don't eat that much offal. I like it, well enough, but I would rather just have a steak.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    This will gross out some people, but I pride myself on my headcheese. I've been making it for years, but now I get to use real heads instead of just pork feet and hocks like I used to use ! Now that I get all my meat from the farm, I can have all the spare parts I want for free. The pigs we eat are a large black heritage breed and the heads are rather large, so my farmer cuts it up into several pieces for me. The head is just like any other piece of meat with bone, and the cheeks have a lot of meat on them.

I use one part pork head, one part pork feet, one part pork hocks and one piece of beef shank and just cover it with water and cook. Once it all cooks down and falls apart and I separate the meat, and remove the stuff I don't want to eat, I place the shreds of delectable fatty meat into a glass lasagna pan. I season the stock, add a bit of crushed garlic and pour the stock, which is rich with tons of gelatin over the meat and chill. Then I can hardly wait to eat it. The smell of the garlicky meat is too good, and it is the best meat jello ever.

I am paleo/primal/keto. You can tell my yard by the bull skull in the garden. :)
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    That amuses me. My dad (who passed away just before Thanksgiving) LOVED his head cheese! I found it revolting...the appearance, the smell!! But that man got such a kick out of threatening us with head cheese for dinner if we didn't clean our rooms, go outside, feed the pets, etc. :p
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I slice it up like brownies in the pan. When I open the fridge door the aroma hits me and it's irresistible, so yummy, you just have to grab one in your hand and eat it up. It's only meat and jelled broth, I bet people would like it if they tried it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Ya' learn sumptin every day. I didn't know what the word "offal" was (I'm 58 years old). I thought y'all were misspelling "awful" LOL!

So I read about it on Wikipedia. Pretty interesting etymology:
    "The word shares its etymology with several Germanic words: Abfall (offall in some Western German dialects), afval in Dutch and Afrikaans, avfall in Norwegian and Swedish, and affald in Danish. These Germanic words all mean "garbage", or —literally— "off-fall", referring to that which has fallen off during butchering. However, these words are not often used to refer to food with the exception of Afrikaans in the agglutination afvalvleis (lit. "off-fall-meat") which does indeed mean offal.[4] For instance, the German word for offal is Innereien meaning innards. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word entered Middle English from Middle Dutch in the form afval, derived from af (off) and vallen (fall)."

I certainly knew what tripe and menudo was (when I lived in Texas). Never ate that stuff. But I did eat chicken & beef liver, Chicken hearts and gizzards all the time.

My dad was raised during the depression era and I suspect that gave rise to eating offal. He used to eat scrambled cow brains and when he did, my brothers, sister and myself literally ran out of the house....! My dad would laugh and proceed to eat it with ketchup. I think brains are 60% fat. But it just had a horrible smell to it.

Anyway....

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Previous Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just skimming the thread...I don't see low-fat keto (basically PSMF, if in a solid caloric deficit).

Oh, and chicken hearts and gizzards are AWESOME.
  • Teneko
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Ya' learn sumptin every day. I didn't know what the word "offal" was (I'm 58 years old). I thought y'all were misspelling "awful" LOL!

I did, intentionally, as a pun. >_>

-T.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Just skimming the thread...I don't see low-fat keto (basically PSMF, if in a solid caloric deficit).

Oh, and chicken hearts and gizzards are AWESOME.

PSMF should probably be monitored by a doctor. But, yes, it is a valid low-carb path. It's generally one we don't talk-up a whole lot, because it's not a long-term option.

I've read Lyle McDonald's book on his version of them. They don't sound very fun. Heck, even he says they're pretty miserable. LOL
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They're like any other diet - the less you have to lose, the more miserable they are. :smiley: With a bunch to lose, they're not too bad, and you get maintenance in a hurry.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    With all these comments on headcheese I feel I must point out that lutefisk is an almost perfect protein supplement for anyone trying to fill out a macro.
    Pros:
    Before prep it will keep almost indefinitely without refrigeration.
    If you leave it in the company lunchroom fridge, it will be safe from theft.
    Cons:
    The traditional 2 week prep time.